That thing sounds wicked, killer job.

1990 Eddie Bauer Bronco
2004 Harley F250 with some odds and ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 244 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
trc

Bronco Info: 79, 429, 1-tons, cage suspension
Not alot of updates on the Bronco unfortunately, between getting ready for our second kid and working 12's I haven't had as much time as I would like to work on it. However, this 1968 F100 4x4 short-bed popped up for way too cheap and I jumped on it with the intentions of flipping it.

My Dad has been looking to sell his Bronco to fund his 68 fastback build, so instead of selling it to some stranger I offered my F100 in trade. He agreed, however he'll be keeping his motor for the Mustang. So, that left me to find a motor. I picked up this 429ci motor locally and am currently going through it and cleaning it up.

Specs so far: 1971 Ford iron block. Stock stroke 429 cast crank. Factory Cobra Jet rods with ARP bolts. Keith Black Forged pistons. Comp Cams flat tappet camshaft(244/254 @ 0.050 duration, .604/.604 lift). Comp Cams double roller timing chain. Milodon oil pump, pickup, and pan. S.F.I. flywheel. Short block is fully balanced. DOVE heads with Comp Cams screw in studs, guide plates, springs, locks, retainers, valves, pushrods, and 1.73 full roller aluminum rocker arms. Duraspark distributor. Weiand Stealth intake manifold Barry Grant 850 Demon carb.

Here's my Dads Bronco I'm trading for:

Nv4500 w/ custom adapters, Np205 twin stick, trussed D44 w/selectable detroit locker, trussed 9" with Nascar Nodular 3rd, spool, 35 spline chromo axles etc.

So this has lead me to change the Black Broncos direction somewhat. It's always been...confused... for lack of better terms, its been a cross between go-fast and trails. But the solid axle really limits the go-fast, and the glass limits how much I want to lean it on trees etc so its not really good at either. Now that i'll have another Bronco that is capable of hitting trails and enjoying for more 4x4 oriented stuff, its time I make the Black Bronco more of an all-out go fast Bronco.

SO... my big plan is this... take the 1-tons out from under the Black Bronco and put them under the new one. Then take the 9" from under the new Bronco and toss it in the Black one, and go to TTB up front. The TTB wont ever handle serious abuse with 39-40" tires and 700+hp but it will be nice to have as insurance if ever needed. Also, I feel TTB is the most bang for the buck and would be less expensive than converting to 2wd beams etc. My biggest dilemma with this plan is bolt pattern, I feel I should probably run the D50 outers etc for the added strength needed running 40's. There's a lot of $$$ in the 9" so I would prefer to use it instead of swapping to a 1-ton rear end, not to mention the weight advantage. so there's so puzzles to be solved at some point.
79BroncoSpringTx and johnnyk8 like this.

post #243 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
trc

Bronco Info: 79, 429, 1-tons, cage suspension
The "Reverse SAS" is underway!

Picked up a donor Bronco and stole the crossmember out of it.

Got the Bronco torn down.

Crossmember removed, sand-blasted, and cut down to width.

Ended up working with OhhCho Fab and got his first set of prototype fully fabricated beams, +4.5" per side wider, more clearance, billet beam ends, adjustable camber balljoints etc.

got things roughly mocked up

had to mock up some body work

Also picked up some big mofo's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:36 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
I thought I recognized this Bronco. You had some fiberglass front fenders and a giant hood scoop for sale on FB a long while back. I look forward to seeing you complete the TTB setup! Looks super cool!

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode