'78 Build Thread - Take Two to Make One - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
I'm Scott if you were directing that to me.

I also edited my post after going back and seeing page 1. Your trans cooler was replaced at one time.

This is a stock cooler.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Bronco Info: Dentside Bronco & '04 Excursion XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
I'm Scott if you were directing that to me.

I also edited my post after going back and seeing page 1. Your trans cooler was replaced at one time.
Crap. Sorry, Scott.

Ok, so mine's the aftermarket cooler. Theirs are factory. Got it. Thank you for posting the Trailer Special info. I missed that when I was doing the searches for some reason. We'll call it user error.
post #63 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Scott, thanks for the info on these Trailer Specials. Do you think the build sheet would give some more info? I called Ford for the info yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyweasel View Post
Crap. Sorry, Scott.

Ok, so mine's the aftermarket cooler. Theirs are factory. Got it. Thank you for posting the Trailer Special info. I missed that when I was doing the searches for some reason. We'll call it user error.

Good edit, I almost had ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
Scott, thanks for the info on these Trailer Specials. Do you think the build sheet would give some more info? I called Ford for the info yesterday.
Build sheet only tells that it came with the Trailer tow package.

Last edited by Ranger429; 01-26-2011 at 03:29 PM.
post #65 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Quote:
Edit? I see no edit!

::ahem::
post #66 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Resurection Ranch

Quote:

Build sheet only tells that it came with the Trailer tow package.

Ok thanks, I'll look for those items you listed. No T/S badge on tailgate or mirrors on it now.
post #67 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
No ...mirrors on it now.
Mine HAD the 4-point mirrors but somebody swapped them out for the Western style mirrors and plugged the holes with panhead screws.
post #68 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:09 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
Today's run-down...

First, we'll start with the @#%$%Q!!* moment of the morning. One of these things is not like the other:

an air hammer will pop that broken sud right out. to get the new one in i used this adapter thingy my shop teacher had with a lug nut on the new stud to pull it through. tighten a bit and hit the flange on either side with an air hammer. repeat until its not going in anymore.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #69 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Resurection Ranch

Quote:
Mine HAD the 4-point mirrors but somebody swapped them out for the Western style mirrors and plugged the holes with panhead screws.
I am atleast the third owner. So who knows what they did before me other than paint it. Good luck with the build, when I start on one of my three I'll be sure to do a thread.
post #70 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfun41 View Post
an air hammer will pop that broken sud right out. to get the new one in i used this adapter thingy my shop teacher had with a lug nut on the new stud to pull it through. tighten a bit and hit the flange on either side with an air hammer. repeat until its not going in anymore.
I was told to try something similar, just without the air hammer. I'm going to try knocking it out with a center punch & BFH. To install the new ones, I'm going to try using a stack of washers - drawing the bolt in bit by bit until it won't go any more.
post #71 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:13 PM

Bronco Info: 1991 EB 5.8l E4OD manual 1356 lifted manual hubs sittin on 35's custom exhaust no smog still passes
Garage
that axle breather is cleverly hidden on my truck. the hose was clipped off close and probably has crap jammed in it by now.
now that i know what it is i need to get around to running a new line for it and probably need to drain my diff and change the fluid.
much apreciated to show that line there, if i hadn't stopped by in this thread i wouldn't know what that was.
post #72 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Hey I'm here to help.

Not really, but glad I could! If you want, I can show you the factory routing on it. It's pretty much just loosely loomed up to the frame and ends right beside the fuel tank.
post #73 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:17 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
I was told to try something similar, just without the air hammer. I'm going to try knocking it out with a center punch & BFH. To install the new ones, I'm going to try using a stack of washers - drawing the bolt in bit by bit until it won't go any more.
the air hammer makes it easy. i pounded on mine with a sledge and it wouldnt budge. the air hammer took about 30 sec to pop it out. hitting it with the air hammer on the flange while the lugnut was torqued would budge it in bit by bit until eventually it wouldnt go any farther. after that i just put the wheel back on and torqued the lug nuts properly. gonna just keep doing that every so often and not worry since i drove on 4 lugs for 4 years.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #74 of 843 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 PM

Bronco Info: 1991 EB 5.8l E4OD manual 1356 lifted manual hubs sittin on 35's custom exhaust no smog still passes
Garage
since its on the rear axle the way i would do it, is to pull the axle shaft and set it on top of an old rotor with the studs lined through the holes in the rotor and just pound away with a bfh till the stud is set. after that just torque the wheels on like your supposed to and then its good.
once they're torqued in to the required specs for the wheels to be held on then its good to go.

i was just going to find that size line and do like my buddy did with his jeep and run the breather hose into the engine bay.
if i have breathers for anything else i'll do the same thing for them as well
post #75 of 843 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

UPDATE!!

Well it's about time I got something done...

I got my '79 to THE SHOP a few weeks ago and dismantled the old bastard. He leaves behind a stash of parts that are going into this '78 and a bunch of other bits that are going to other trucks to help keep them on the road. RIP

Among the donations to the '78 are the Hedman Hedders (P/N 89210), a 4" Rancho lift, the American Racing 15" wheels with 35" BF Goodrich M/T KM tires and miscellaneous small parts.

The Hedders were a VERY pleasant surprise. I finally noticed the little stamped steel tag that's tack welded to the #1 tube. They're Hedman Hedders, so I contacted them to see if they could identify which Hedders they are. Spoke to Danny Lake over there who proved to be really helpful. He had me send him some pictures of them and confirmed they're the 89210s. Turns out they're California legal; they carry an Executive Order from the Air Resources Board (E.O. D-167-27). Not only that, but he even sent me two of the E.O. labels so my smog guy doesn't give me crap. So, until the 400M dies, I'll use these bad boys. (Once that happens, it's all about the Cummins 6BT engine swap.)

The '79 also had a Weiand aluminum intake on it, but it wasn't equipped with EGR provisions, so I couldn't use it. (Still for sale in the Classifieds as of this writing.) So I swapped it for an Edelbrock 3771 aluminum intake with the EGR provision.

My new stickers:

The Hedmans and the Edelbrock have both seen some years, so they were pretty gnarly, so I took them to:

and had them blasted.

Angel took pretty good care of me. Here he is bead blasting the intake:

The Hedders got sand blasted and the Edelbrock got briefly sand blasted just to remove the surface crap and then bead blasted to really clean it up. I already bought some header primer and paint (both rated to 2000F) against the advice of some folks but my thinking is this: I'm not planning to keep the 400M or these Hedders for more than a year or two, so if the paint only lasts me a season that's ok. I will clear coat the intake 'cause I think it will look better longer that way.

The Hedders as they looked when they came out of the '79:

... and when I picked them up from the sand blaster:

(Close up)

The Edelbrock as it looked before blasting:

... and after blasting:

These guys did a good job for the money. I paid $50.00 and saved a hell of a lot of elbow grease & time. Hopefully I'll have time to at least install the Hedders this weekend so I can get the exhaust plumbed. I don't need cats (despite living in the People's Republik of Kalifornia) because I have a Non-Catalyst emission certification tag, so the muffler shop down the street said they can do true dual, header-back plumbing with twin Flowmasters for $250.00. Considering they want $100.00 just for the mufflers, I guess that's not too bad. I'll buy my own mufflers and show up to see how much they want just to run the tubing.
post #76 of 843 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Resurection Ranch

Luck find on the headers. That sand blasting job does look good considering the price.

Rick
post #77 of 843 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 02:29 AM

Bronco Info: 87 FSB, Tru-Trac, Eaton Posi, built 306, MAF, 4" Pro Comp, 33" BFG
WOW!! Nice...worth the money at twice the price. Hand cleaning is for the birds. You have made me a believer. Can't wait to see this thing going together!
post #78 of 843 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Thanks, guys. I'm going to post pics of the intake swap, header primer/paint and then - finally - header installation.
post #79 of 843 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:21 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 FSB with a 5.0/E4OD and manual transfer case
They did a good job for only $50. Looks good. I bet the header paint last longer than my pacesetter headers. It was gone in a week.

1996 Bronco with 5.0/E4OD. 2" Lift Kit w/ Skyjacker 8000 series shocks, 285/75R16 Terra Grapplers on Tracker 8 Polished Wheels, 6litre tune-up, 680w RMS Stereo System, custom street legal duel exhaust with magnaflow muffler.
post #80 of 843 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 05:17 AM

damn taht looks like a great way to spend $50! I know they did a better job then i could, quicker and time is worth money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode