'78 Build Thread - Take Two to Make One - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 843 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Bronco Info: Dentside Bronco & '04 Excursion XLT
Thanks dagamore and hfd315. I'm still pleasantly surprised that they turned out as well as they did. Angel told me the name of the media they used but I already forgot... it was something like "green emerald." If anybody cares to know exactly what it is, I will ask. Still no paint or clear coat applied but I'll post when I get that done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 843 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

It's windy as hell here today so still no progress on the header paint. Went to VatoZone and picked up some brake shoes and new adjusters. Going back later tonight or tomorrow morning to order the header gaskets, then going again on Monday to order the hardware kit and then on Tuesday for the intake manifold gasket. I get more points by splitting the transactions up. (Their program requires 6 hrs between $20 purchases to get a point.)
post #83 of 843 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Anybody have an opinion on whether to spring for the aluminum header gaskets or the ceramic composite deals? The aluminum ones are $40 and the composites are $20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyweasel View Post
It's windy as hell here today so still no progress on the header paint. Went to VatoZone and picked up some brake shoes and new adjusters. Going back later tonight or tomorrow morning to order the header gaskets, then going again on Monday to order the hardware kit and then on Tuesday for the intake manifold gasket. I get more points by splitting the transactions up. (Their program requires 6 hrs between $20 purchases to get a point.)
I was thinking why don't you just get it all in one shot, then I finished reading. I used the aluminum one back in HS on a bowtie I owned no issues. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Rick
post #85 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Bought new header gaskets, intake manifold gasket, rear drum brake kit with auto-adjusters & hardware this weekend. Still need to figure out what the bloody hell is going on with my master cylinder. The chambers are "reversed"... the front chamber is the small one and the back chamber is the big one. Can't find a gasket for the damn thing at VatoZone or O'Reilly's. They pull up the same part number whether it's a '78 or '79 Bronco, F-150 or F-350 but that part number does not fit.

Anybody else have an odd brake master cylinder design? Wonder if somebody dropped in a GM deal or something 'cause I sure don't recognize it.
post #86 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:32 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco
Mine has the same as you described, small one on the front and bigger one towards the back.
Ive replaced mine once or twice but I bought both the booster and master cylinder and didnt have any issues, thats how it came from oriellys
post #87 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Interesting. Don't suppose you have a part number for that, do you?
post #88 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:00 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco - 460, Dana 60 Front, 14 Bolt Rear, Cage Arms, Deavers, 39.5 Irok

Pictures Charlie :)
post #89 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

That's the stupid master cylinder with its ass backwards chambers.

Here are the goods:

post #90 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Got the first couple of shots of primer curing on the headers right now, so I started reading a bit about upgrading my garbage braking system. I've heard repeatedly that the EASIEST upgrades are the F350 booster and rear wheel cylinders, but they get mild- to modest improvements. I've also read repeatedly that hydroboost is the greatest thing to ever be applied to Bronco braking system. Thanks to a post from OX1 on another thread, I'm looking at Cardone Part # 50-4400. It will require some mods to the pedal linkage, new MC mounting brackets and an adjustable proportioning valve but I think that might work. That part number is for a 1993 F350 which is both a 2-diaphragm system AND the same diameter as the original, so I'm looking at using this one. Any thoughts?
post #91 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 08:48 PM

Bronco Info: 79 f350 sno-prep with a 460 4.56's and 38" hawgs. front d60/powerlock, rear14 bolt/detroit
Chromo says:

That master cylinder is not backwards.

The front reservoir is for the rear brake cylinders, and the larger rear reservoir is for the front calipers.
Disc brake calipers require more volume, thus the need for a larger reservoir. The rear can supply a larger supply for this, and since the front reservoir is smaller, it still supplies enopugh volume for the small rear cylinders.

SHUT UP RAMON
post #92 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Thanks, Chromo. I don't mean my chambers are literally backwards. What I mean is that all of the gaskets I find at VatoZone or O'Reilly's are ass backwards. I can't find a gasket for this.

--

So, I got the paint on the headers today.

Primed:

Painted:

Also started cleaning up a C-6 trans pan that I had laying on the garage floor. Going to get it all prepped, then hit it with some paint and replace the pan and gasket (and filter, while I'm in there) that are on the Bronco today. The truck's going to be black and red, so I'll be buying or painting many of the components accordingly. Pics to follow when I have time to do some more on it.
post #93 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Wahoo! I just had a friend set me up with a brand new Edelbrock 8053 spacer.

Now I can mate my 4-bbl Carter AFB up to the Edelbrock 3771 Performer intake manifold while still retaining the EGR setup to be smog legal.

Price tag?

Should be able to pick it up next week. Looking forward to it.
post #94 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Bronco Info: 87 FSB, Tru-Trac, Eaton Posi, built 306, MAF, 4" Pro Comp, 33" BFG
You should think about tossing some of that stuff into the ceramic coating group buy we are looking to do:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=193789
post #95 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 PM

Bronco Info: 87 FSB, Tru-Trac, Eaton Posi, built 306, MAF, 4" Pro Comp, 33" BFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwagon View Post
ugg, dog hair, you can never get rid of that shit...
That's a fact. Still trying to get it out of my truck from the P.O.'s dogs.

Finally got a chance to go back through this whole thread, Charlie. Great read, I am subscribed, now.
post #96 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Welcome aboard, Jereme, and thanks for the compliment. I'll jump on that intake coating & maybe the carb if it will take. I really don't want to spend a ton on this engine, though... I'm still going to dump it for the 6BT. Since that's at least a year down the road, I can see putting a little bit into this. I'll put my hat in the ring for that coating quote if it will take.
post #97 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:47 AM

Bronco Info: 79 460/429cj hds 11" lift 38.5"Boggers c6w2700stall
Wild stripes and bumperetts, cool. Mine has quad front shocks, why. It is a Ranger xlt, does that have anything to do with it?
post #98 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Glad you like the stripes. I sure don't. The pictures make them look more subtle than they are... the yellow-green one is really almost fluorescent.

The quad-shock setup was an option and is not directly tied to it being an XLT. I thought it was because this one's a Trailer Special, but it turns out they were just an available factory option, IIRC.

By the way -- saw your pic on the "Post a Picture of your Bronco" thread. Nice! Those 38.5s look huge. Is that still a D44 under there? And wtf is up with the hood scoop? Is it functional?
post #99 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Quick Update...

Got the F-350 booster/MC combo and the F-350 rear cylinders from O'Reilly's this morning.

Came home this afternoon and had a total of 45 minutes to work on the Bronco but I did manage to take a few pics of the current Mickey Mouse setup, remove the MC and the four base bolts on the booster, too. All that's still hanging on is the pedal-to-piston bolt which will have to come off tomorrow.

Notice anything odd about the current brake plumbing, MC, etc.? I found about a half dozen jewels this afternoon. Let's just say I need to buy a flaring tool, a tubing bender and some new nuts. I also need a retainer clip for the transmission kickdown rod. Anybody got a spare?

Pics:

post #100 of 843 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco,302 EFI with an AOD, 6 inch super lift,35bfgmud, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Richmond4.56gears
Where's the extra line go to from that block in the back? That's the only difference it has. Does it still have the stock proportion valve between the frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode