Another 7.3 Powerstroke Bronco Build - Page 12 - Ford Bronco Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #221 of 232 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:59 PM
Dee

Bronco Info: 94 C350 7.3 IDIt
Garage
I NEED to see the seats!! Love this project. I'm overwhelmed at your attention to detail!!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 232 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 02:15 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 custom 460 swap
Awesome build!
post #223 of 232 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Sneak peek of the interior. The truck is currently at the upholstery shop getting the carpet steam fitted and the seats installed. Very happy with the color choice and design - definitely looks different in person.

I haven't driven the truck all last year and I was reminded of a couple things on the drive back from the lake:
Rebuilt transmission still leaks, the 08 cruise control buttons an electronics ship rewired for the wheel don't work, the seatbelts that were color changed don't retract, the exhaust still rubs, and after the reburn I still don't like the transmission shift points or the swamps tunes or a combination of both... I still prefer the stock tune. I also thought I would be able to try out the new Warn hubs and have 4x4 for the first time but the driveshaft shop built the yoke end with the wrong u-joint.

... But its still coming along. And after getting some more reworks done (hopefully without paying again), the stripe, and alarm/command start I should finally be pretty much done and able to enjoy it.

reptillikus and 1985 Bronco like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 232 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:27 AM

Bronco Info: Still dreaming:Newbie
Those seats are freaking beautiful. Where did you get the idea for the skeletal bronco logo?

post #225 of 232 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Very nice!

I was at the gas station the other day filling the Bronco and some guy walked up to me and said he just bought a powerstroke Bronco. (He was in a work truck) He said he had to go to Ft Myers, FL to get it. (Long ways south) He said it was white.
post #226 of 232 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 AM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Bronco looks incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mush's 88 View Post
after the reburn I still don't like the transmission shift points or the swamps tunes or a combination of both... I still prefer the stock tune.
Im kinda surprised by this. Ive had Swamp's tunes in my F250 for years, and for the most part i like them. I think i have a completely different set of tunes, as i dont recognize any of those, but i cant find my sheet. I know i have, and really like, Travis_F350_A. I wonder whats different for C.

Im not sure what all youve got done to the trans, but that can have a huge impact. Ive got all the upgrades in the valve body, shift kit, stainless planetaries, billet converter, basically everything you can do. It shifts a ton better than a 'stock' trans, even in the stock tune. My 96 bronco just has a shift kit and some pump mods and its better, but its nothing like the trans in my diesel. The diesel 5-clutch drums & the billet converter make a phenomenal difference.

88bronco: web / FSB || 96 bronco: web / FSB || 96 F250: web / FSB
post #227 of 232 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm not entirely sure what was done to the trans myself. It was rebuilt according to the power levels of the truck with mild pump and valve body mods with a billet converter. I originally bought a Swamps valve body but the shop wanted to build everything their way. The trans feels good in the stock tune with the exception of a harsh downshift when coasting around 70 km.

I haven't put on enough miles and find myself switching tunes quite regularly so I can't comment on specifics but overall I would say the tunes are louder than stock (may not be an issue to some but I would like the truck to be quieter if possible). Driving with the cruise set at highway speeds the highway tune was louder in the cab than the stock tune. One of my favorite tunes idles about 100 RPM higher than other tunes and stock (I mentioned this and was hoping it would of been addressed with the reburn cause I find myself switching tunes at red lights to avoid this). I asked for a linear pedal with the tunes (my DP tuner tunes were very touchy) but I'm having a hard time finding a sweet spot for accelerating. The truck sort of chugs along until it boosts and then it takes off. The acceleration isn't very proportionate if that makes sense, the best way I can think to describe it is its like unless the turbo is doing the work the truck isn't going anywhere. The best tune if I'm trying to keep the noise down in my neighborhood or for getting around in slower traffic is the hottest tune.

I think I'll have to address other issues/variables and log some serious miles before pursuing this further. The exhaust rubbing may be exaggerating the noises/resonance/drone from tune to tune. Maybe some sort of live tuning is in my future. I have an idea in my head of what I'd like it to feel like...
post #228 of 232 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:30 AM
ate lug

Garage
Sorry for the delayed response, i wanted to go back thru and reread your build thread.

Im surprised to hear you mention the touchiness of the pedal, i thought most of my tunes were quite smooth on the pedal. You def have different tunes than i do, but mine are older tunes now i suppose. Maybe theyve changed their idea of a 'good' tune. Are they aware this is in a bronco, and its not racing or hauling heavy loads? Only my top tune lugs a bit on take off, which i attribute to too much fuel for the turbo, as she'll smoke like a chimney, from both the tailpipe and the tires I rarely use that tune because of EGTs and smoke. Need a bigger turbo!

I have noticed that some of my tunes have different injection timing, and that has a huge difference on throttle response, and engine sound. More advanced makes it snappy, but also louder. Trans shifting is all over the place between tunes; i prefer my 4th tune for towing (i forget the name), but my 5th (travis_F350A1 is the correct name IIRC) is my favorite for power and shifting. I really need to go down into the filing cabinet and try to find my card.

What kind of boost are you seeing, have you verified you dont have any leaks, and which side of the IC is your Map sensor on? What about your IDM? I had Swamps rebuild/tune my IDM, and that improved the way the truck drove, even in the stock tune.

post #229 of 232 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Funny you mention the MAP sensor... I was just re-familiarizing with that. It is in the stock location, I did ask Swamps about that and at the time they never heard of anyone moving it so I left it. But it might be worth a shot.

The touchiness I was referring to was with the DP tuner on my 99. Which I got used to and kind of prefer over this. I think I read before that their timing is advanced and that's why their tunes are/were more snappy. These tunes aren't very snappy.

And I did mention it is a bronco, all the mods, etc.

Having not really driven it in a year I can't remember what I was seeing for boost but I'm pretty sure there are no leaks. IDM is stock.
post #230 of 232 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Awesome ride man
post #231 of 232 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 AM
ate lug

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mush's 88 View Post
Funny you mention the MAP sensor... I was just re-familiarizing with that. It is in the stock location, I did ask Swamps about that and at the time they never heard of anyone moving it so I left it. But it might be worth a shot.

The touchiness I was referring to was with the DP tuner on my 99. Which I got used to and kind of prefer over this. I think I read before that their timing is advanced and that's why their tunes are/were more snappy. These tunes aren't very snappy.

And I did mention it is a bronco, all the mods, etc.

Having not really driven it in a year I can't remember what I was seeing for boost but I'm pretty sure there are no leaks. IDM is stock.
Most people over on powerstroke.org & PSN recommend moving the Map to the other side of the IC for better response. Its supposed to make a big impact on how it runs. I dont have an IC so i cant comment on it.

Sounds like you actually prefer the hotter/more advanced tunes. So maybe you actually do want some of their towing tunes? i cant comment as the only other truck ive driven with Swamps tunes has the same set as mine, so it runs the same. I dunno how much of a hassle it is to get them to keep changing tunes, but it might be worth looking into that older tune i have, Travis_F350_A1.

Worst case, if you get sick of dealing with Swamps, just about anyone (except Dp Tuners) can put tunes on the TS Chip. Pretty sure those guys deal with their chip exclusively, but not 100% on that.

post #232 of 232 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

It took longer than expected getting these pictures up but here is the almost finished interior. New head unit installed with bluetooth and remote borrowed from the Kenwood stereo in my Jeep, seats upholstered and installed. I need to take the seatbelts out and take them back in before I can install the remaining trim Ė they donít roll back up after they are unbuckled.

I installed a PMF dual steering stabilizer to deal with some of the play I have in the wheel hoping this would help but it feels close to the same as it did with the single factory stabilizer. I struggled a bit with the install, there werenít any instructions, hardware was too short to get the threads started or fit washers on (may be due to the extra mil thickness from the paint), U-bolts were too tight to fit over tie rod, etc. Overall it looks good but probably overkill and Iíll need to tweak the install yet (lost some turning radius when turning right).

I am now in the hunt for new U code front leaf springs to bring the front down and level things out better and potentially allow a little more clearance for getting in 7í garage doors (roof has been scraped pretty bad). At the time of choosing the suspension setup and proper leafs most were pushing for V codes but I think the lower rated U codes will be a better solution Ė will report when I get around to this swap.

Iíve been looking into new tunes for my 6 position chip or make the switch to the Hydra. Iím currently driving in the stock tune because itís frustrating driving with the tunes I have and the transmission shifting the way it does (on my second batch of tunes). Considering 1023, JeliBuilt, or SDK tunes.

Still really enjoy these headlights

And I just realized I forgot to answer the question about the skeleton horse logo. The idea is kind of a mix between the bucking bronco emblem and a logo from one of my favorite country artists Gary Allan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode