Another 7.3 Powerstroke Bronco Build - Ford Bronco Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 232 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Another 7.3 Powerstroke Bronco Build

Hi everyone, I've finally made some progress on my Bronco and thought I'd start a thread to maybe help anyone out who is considering the same type of project or get some opinions/info for myself.

Here's the vehicles I will be using parts off of:

1988 Ford Bronco

2004 F250 frame. This was a 5.4 with automatic transmission extended cab short box

1997 F250 diesel with automatic. I bought this truck at a local Manitoba auction with a salvage title. I don’t know a whole lot about the truck except it was running a veggie oil setup that the previous owner took off, came with an auxiliary idle controller, has a positive air shutoff, banks intercooler, banks gauges, downpipe and exhaust, and I've never had it running. It cranked but wouldn’t start. It has ~187,000 km

It took a pretty good hit on the passenger side

Select Parts from my early 1999 F250. My daily driver bought it in 2007, stock

What I've got planned for the Bronco:

• Use the super duty axles from the 99 F250 with 3.73 gears. The front is a dana 50 (the 04 had a dana 60 with 4.10's so those axles front and rear are now in the 99). Wanted disc brakes and wheels and tires to interchange between the bronco and 99
• Leaf sprung front suspension (for now). I'll have to see how this will ride and how well the gas leaf springs from the 04 will hold up to the weight of the diesel. Any thoughts?
• Engine: dp tuner (have in the 99 and like it), DIY intake with AFE big boost (have), terminator modded HPOP (should be back from Joey soon), CCV mod (have), reuse the gauges, exhaust with an 08+ stock super duty tip, and intercooler
• RBP 91R in flat or gloss black, depending on paint choice
• 35x20 general grabber red letter tires or Nitto Trail Grapplers
• 97 front end conversion to look like the newer body style
• For paint I'm considering a matte pearl white like the Lamborghini Bianco Canopus with color matched bumpers, grill, headlight bezels. I also have a fab fours rear bumper that I want to put on but will have to modify the bumper or body

The bronco is currently at the lake so I am only able to work on it during the weekends so progress will be slow

The first thing I did was bolt in the rear 10.5. This bolted in with no problems it even looks like the e-brake brackets are the same and same distance from the axle from the 04 to the 88. The speed sensor also plugged right in. Brake lines aren't hooked up but I'll probably be using the booster, etc from the 97 so this can be done at a later time. The frame on the 04 looks like it is about 0.5" wider but the pins fell into the perches with no problems but I will keep an eye on it. One of those things that upon measuring doesn’t seem like it would work but did.

I'll try make a point of taking more pictures with a camera not just my blackberry

I put in the 04 F250 blocks only so I could tighten the U-bolts properly but I gained a couple inches of lift that I wasn’t looking for (used to barely fit in my garage with 35's). I'll have to play with blocks and angles when I see how far back the transfer case will sit. It looks like the rear leafs from the 04 would bolt in but I wasn’t sure how stiff the ride would be compared with the Pro Comp lift leafs I have in right now. The 04 leafs would probably sit about two inches lower but have four thicker leafs opposed to the five thinner leafs on the Pro Comps. Probably just get shorter U-bolts

I thought I should pull the engine before tackling the front suspension

The frame where the front hangers mount looks to be about 1.5" narrower on the Bronco so I'm thinking I'm going to cut the extra width I need off the 04 frame and weld it onto the bronco frame. I have the factory hangers from the 99 without that brace the 04 has so I will be using those. The brace will help for keeping things square when mocking it up. Might also be important to note I've never done any welding so it will most likely be my cousin coming down as he's a welder. For this reason the more that bolts into place the better.

While I've got the tractor at the lake I might as well prep the diesel to be pulled and do them both at the same time

I won't get around to working on it again for a couples weeks due to an upcoming fishing trip but I’m hoping next to remove the engine, trans, and transfer case from both trucks which I'm sure will raise a lot of questions

Last edited by schwim; 01-20-2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: you cant sell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 232 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Nice build you got going here. Looks very well planned out. I like the paint on the bronco did you paint it that color?

Rick
"Left for Dead"
Filly

[email protected] (also on facebook)
post #3 of 232 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 EB 351W, SAS'd 44, 37" Hummvee tires, 10.25 rear, smittybilt 12k winch homemade mount
Garage
Will be following this thread as a powerstroke swap is something I plan on doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 232 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Bronco Info: 91 bronco 5.8
thats a nice color on the bronco
post #5 of 232 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I had it painted DuPont's version of the copperhead color from Trucks TV. The truck was owned by my dad since 1991 until I bought it in 2004. It was originally two-tone Brown.

I got around to working on the Bronco this weekend. It was mostly just tearing apart the interior on the 97.

Ended putting the rad support on the bronco
I also cut off the front section of the SD frame to size it up to the bronco frame and see where I will need to cut/weld to graft them together. I cut a larger section than I would need just so I don't find myself wishing I had more to work with. Structurally I'm not sure what technique would result in the strongest bond between the two. The pictures don't really show much but at first glance it looks like this will work out well. I'm also going to have to cut some off the top of the bronco frame infront of the rad support to keep the frame rails a consistend height at the front since the frame rails get taller from the rad support forward. (the markings were a rough guideline and wont be followed)

I've also had some parts come in over the past couple weeks:
For the Bronco

Crank Case Vent Kit. Need to make some sort of filter before this goes on

And parts for 99 which will take some more time away from this project
The pump from the 97 I sent into Jody at Terminator looking like this

Got it back looking like this

This will be going on the 99 and the that pump will go out to Joey again and go on the bronco
Also a pre-pump kit

If anybody has any recommendations for any of these mods please let me know.

Last edited by schwim; 01-20-2018 at 08:15 AM.
post #6 of 232 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 EB 351W, SAS'd 44, 37" Hummvee tires, 10.25 rear, smittybilt 12k winch homemade mount
Garage
i have no recommendations but am watching very attentively......
post #7 of 232 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:51 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 5.0 Eddie Bauer
very nice
post #8 of 232 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM

awesome build, cant wait to see the finished product.
post #9 of 232 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Bronco Info: 1988 BRONCO 5.0/AOD axle code H5
are you updating the dash to in the bronco? and nice build so far cant wait to see more progress

88 Bronco(sold)
new trail rig
2000 ranger
4.0/5r55e/bw 4.10 gears 35 mt/rs
post #10 of 232 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

The plan is to keep the 88 dash and interior panels but change the seats, console, and colors. Looking at a lockable tuffy console or something similar. I'm a big fan of the black, red, grey color combo on the new king ranch interiors
Dee likes this.
post #11 of 232 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM

This build is amazing, i cant wait to see more.
post #12 of 232 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 PM

I really like the idea of a diesel bronco and have been contemplating doing one myself.Nice build
post #13 of 232 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Bronco Info: 87 EB 351W bored over .30 50k miles, holley 4bbl car, c6 auto, 4 inch lift 33"s
i wanna see more!
post #14 of 232 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 08:05 PM

Bronco Info: 1983 FSB, 351W, Carbed, Auto 4wd, Old Man Tan
Nice build. Not something I would attempt because I know nothing about diesels but awesome idea.
post #15 of 232 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

After a few weeks away from it I got back to working on the Bronco. Got the engines, transmissions, and transfer cases pulled from each truck.

Here you can compare the two crossmembers. They look very similar. The bracket from the F250 looks like it will bolt right into the holes on the bronco crossmember, I haven't unbolted it and tried yet though.
Bronco

F250

And rearranged them so I can now work on/finish the Bronco in the garage.

I was trying to swap out my 99 headlights for some 04 headlights on my truck and after pulling them realized that I require two of these. Wet sanded and polished the lenses and was looking forward to being able to see at night this coming winter.

Thanks in advance
Dee likes this.

Last edited by schwim; 01-20-2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: I told ya, next time the whole thread is gone
post #16 of 232 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
keep up the good work. did the motor mount brackets fit?
post #17 of 232 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Bronco Info: 1985 EB current 1-ton sas and diesel/zf5 swap in progress
looks like a fun swap. did you get the powerstroke running first or are you just gonna worry about that once its in the bko?

if i ever get started on my swap, ill be joining the oilburning bronco club. good luck bro!
post #18 of 232 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
You cant Buy Or sell here or ask for parts, there is a for sale wanted section here But you need 75 post to do anything there. And I need or who has one or I got this for sale post not in the right section will be Deleted. I don't want to delete your post so please follow the rules and don't make me. Please edit your post or I will again.Thanks

Nice build by the way.

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
post #19 of 232 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

This camera is pretty hit or miss so it doesnt show too well what the dana 50 looks like under the truck and where everything lines up. I also threw in some other random pictures

Removing the useless ttb

Haven't drilled out any of the rivets yet so I never removed the driver side engine mount but as expected the passenger side bolts right in

Approx where the rear shackle will have to be mounted

Looks like about a 3" width difference between the 04 frame and Bronco frame

The 04 track bar bracket would bolt up perfectly to the crossmember and frame, except it seems as though the pitman arm/steering box will interfere. I have the 04 steering box and will have to see if this will be the answer. Also does anyone know the purpose of having the power steering plumbing coiled up that bolts to the front of this crossmember?

Removed the valve cover just to clarify which injectors I have. I'm tossing around the idea of coating the outside of the valve covers in some sort of sound deadening material.

Should I be concerned about the injectors functioning properly after having vegetable oil ran through them for x amount of miles?

Last edited by schwim; 01-20-2018 at 08:17 AM.
post #20 of 232 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I looked at it again, and the steeering box from the 88 to the 97 to the 04 are the same general size, the box from the 04 is bolted on the bronco frame right now. However, the track bar will interfere if mounted up front, it seems. I've seen it moved to the back of the axles and this might be the route I choose, maybe with a modified OBS track bar bracket...

My biggest problem right now is figuring this suspension out... It turns out what I thought would work initially won't. The front 'frame horns' on the bronco frame angle down towards the ground. So if i were to build out the frame and keep the structural bends in tact from the body mounts forward to fit the front hangers I have from the 99, the extended frame section would be too low to mount the bumper and would look ridiculous. The bumper would probably need a lot of trimming as well, something I want to keep to a minimum. I'm looking at the sky RSK kit for the front bracket since it seems to be a slimmer design for tucking the hangers away behind the bumper, not sure if I could purchases this separately. But I have yet to see this done on a 'brick nose'. The 92-97s have a boxed frame at the front that runs almost parallel to the ground; I'm not sure if I should try achieve this with the bronco frame or make the Sky kit work somehow, which I'm assuming would involve boxing the front frame section.

As far as the rear shackles and hangers I'm going to use the front leaf rear hangers off the 97 F250. I'll mount these on the bronco in the same position using the location on the 97 as a reference. The shackles will come off the rear leafs on the 04 F250, unless I get the kit.

I've seen threads where people have used the sky kit, or similar kits, and in some instances had to move the axle forward after installation. It was evident in the pictures that the front tires didn't seem to be centered too well in the wheel-wells, mostly too far back. If I do end up going with this kit does anyone have any advice for position the front hanger, anything that would dispute the instructions... Had this problem with my Pro Comp kit that seemed to position the front tires about an inch too far rearward.

Also, do front leafs have to run parallel to each other? I've read some places that they do, and some people don't seem to concerned with it. And when I go measure on my 99 they are father apart in the front than rear. I hope I didn't just answer my own question.

Lastly, I've read a lot about the V code springs, how would I be able to tell what springs I've got that came of the 04 gasser?

Sorry for my ramblings just want to make sure I have as much info as I can gather before trying to make this work because right now I'm

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode