The budget 79 Bronco build - Ford Bronco Forum
 219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 with a 460 dana 60's rear 35 spline full spool. front welded with hidro asst. 9" of lift on 44 bo
Garage
The budget 79 Bronco build

This is the wife's 79 that we had own for 14 years it was her run around bronco and trail beater.

It looked good until I got my hands on it. I started to take it camping and Wheeling in W.VA.
It's time to give it a little love. I installed my old winch bumper that came off my black bronco a few year ago. So I went to install my winch on it but it would not free spool,the winch has been in the garage for a few year. This is what I found win opened it up.
So a good cleaning and a good lube and it's all good
Next is to clean the grill up and install a light bar and build a new back bumper. Thanks for looking.

for the love of mud. F.O.T.M. July 2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 with a 460 dana 60's rear 35 spline full spool. front welded with hidro asst. 9" of lift on 44 bo
Garage
I mounted a light bar over the winch in the grill. wire wheeled the grille & painted the back side. sanded the bumper down for some fresh paint.look much better I think!
Dee, johnnyk8 and mrbollero like this.

post #3 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Looks like another fun build. I would consider my 78 very much a budget build so it will be interesting to see where you take this one.
Really like the grille mounted LED bar, Is that a 12"? Also are those stainless insert for the bumper covers? I like the looks of that as well, lot better then the diamond plate most people would have used.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
Looks like another fun build. I would consider my 78 very much a budget build so it will be interesting to see where you take this one.
Really like the grille mounted LED bar, Is that a 12"? Also are those stainless insert for the bumper covers? I like the looks of that as well, lot better then the diamond plate most people would have used.
Thanks Brandon, yea I think my black 79 is a budget build ,spending as little cash as possible and doing all the labor myself. The light bar is a 13" and yes the insert are stainless, when I built the bumper I ran out of 1/4" plate and that was my solution. I think it turned out better that way.

post #5 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Tried to removed one of the headlight bezel and a screw was froze up with rust. So a little construction adhesive fix it. I removed the sway bar, I had already had tore them loose wheeling in W.Va. The wife was saying the bronco was wondering on the road a little. After a little inspection the steering shaft was warn out, so I replaced it with the one off the parts truck. The parts shaft was a little stiff, so a little cleaning and a good lubing and she like new.

post #6 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Nice looking bumper. Glad you started a thread. Is that a stock steering shaft for 79's. It looks a lot better than the later models. (Like mine) The slip part looks like it would take longer to ware out.
post #7 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:58 PM

Bronco Info: mustang 302with maf,m5od trans,doubler,14 inch coil overs,3link front,one tons
i still think mine is budget built. i love budget builds
post #8 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
Nice looking bumper. Glad you started a thread. Is that a stock steering shaft for 79's. It looks a lot better than the later models. (Like mine) The slip part looks like it would take longer to ware out.
Yes it's a 79 shaft. A buddy gave me a 1/4"plate 3'x 4' and I have been wanting to build a back bumper with a swing arm, so I can get the spare out of the back of the bronco. This is what I came up with. First thing remove the stock bumper and the hitch I can not believe these bolts broke loose. I laid out some cardboard to get my measurements laid out. The swing arm parts pulled from the scrap pile. Used my old portaband and the grinder to cut the hub down. Cut the back of the spindle down also. laying out all the cut lines on the plate.Used a strait edge with a cut off wheel on the grinder for the cuts. I didn't cut all the way through. Cut the hitch hole out before welding the two together. The mounting brackets built and mounted on the bronco. I used a piece of angle and flat stock welded together to make the brackets. The bumper just setting on the brackets.
Dee likes this.

post #9 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 11:37 AM

Pretty cool how you didn't cut all the way and folded that plate. Easy to weld like that too.
post #10 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Pretty cool how you didn't cut all the way and folded that plate. Easy to weld like that too.
But it was a lot to fill with a mig welder. Marked out the top to cut it out to slide it back a little. Working on the angle of the mounting bracket. The top of the bumper notched and tacked to the mounting brackets. Mocking up the sides. The side mocked up and the spindle flush mounted in the bumper.

post #11 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
I like what I see so far. Nice to re-purpose stuff.
post #12 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 PM

Bronco Info: 94 XLT, 5.8L, 8 lug HP D44, FF D60, work in progess
What thickness is the steel you're using for the bumper? Great job so far!
post #13 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai dave View Post
:
That looks a little too tight even if you cut to the lines. Looks good like that, but if you hit something, the body will shift that much and scratch/dent.

Love the design!
post #14 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BroncoSpringTx View Post
I like what I see so far. Nice to re-purpose stuff.
Thanks, I'm with you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainyD View Post
What thickness is the steel you're using for the bumper? Great job so far!
It was a 3'x4'x1/4" plate a buddy gave me, Thanks.

Quote:
That looks a little too tight even if you cut to the lines. Looks good like that, but if you hit something, the body will shift that much and scratch/dent.

Love the design!
Thanks on the design , I got 3/4"of clearance after cutting it back and cleaning it up. I think it's good. I stitch welded it up to try to keep the heat down and not to warp the bumper.. The bumper on after a lot of welding and grinding..
Dee likes this.

post #15 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
That turned out pretty good! And yes I bet it was a ton of grinding.
post #16 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:46 AM

I love the way you make it look factory made. (Only better) A lot of people would think that's pressed out of 1/8". That thing is strong as h3ll. That looks so nice, now you have to paint the truck. LOL.
Weinis79 likes this.
post #17 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BroncoSpringTx View Post
That turned out pretty good! And yes I bet it was a ton of grinding.
Cutting of the plate was more of a pain in the ass. I went through a lot of cut off wheels.

Quote:
I love the way you make it look factory made. (Only better) A lot of people would think that's pressed out of 1/8". That thing is strong as h3ll. That looks so nice, now you have to paint the truck. LOL.
I have another tub I will be working on for this drivetrain, this one has been beat to hell.

post #18 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 07:50 AM

Bronco Info: mustang 302with maf,m5od trans,doubler,14 inch coil overs,3link front,one tons
i wish i could figure out a swing out with a tube bumper but oh well looks awesome keep the update coming
post #19 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_high_customs View Post
i wish i could figure out a swing out with a tube bumper but oh well looks awesome keep the update coming
Thanks,I think WILD HORSES four wheel drive has a 79 tube bumper with a swing arm.Take a look at it for an ideal. For the latch on the swing arm I had a spare track bar bushing I used. With a small peace of tube in the bushing I drilled holes in the 2"x2" I found a grade 8 bolt that fit the tube and I honed out a shock bushing to slide over the bolt. Then just a small peace of angle with a hole drilled in it and the nut welded to it.The swing arm welded up except the gussets and tag mount. I used another hub for the tire mount.
Dee, JIMBO SIX and Weinis79 like this.

post #20 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 03:45 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Ford Bronco
Awesome job on the fab work!

1979 Ford Bronco
1991 Ford F350 Dually
2001 Cadillac Deville
S.F. 9-2-13
L.W. 7-14-13
N.F. 7-5-13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode