Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

The budget 79 Bronco build

68K views 389 replies 59 participants last post by  reptillikus 
#1 ·
This is the wife's 79 that we had own for 14 years it was her run around bronco and trail beater.

It looked good until I got my hands on it. I started to take it camping and Wheeling in W.VA.

It's time to give it a little love. I installed my old winch bumper that came off my black bronco a few year ago. So I went to install my winch on it but it would not free spool,the winch has been in the garage for a few year. This is what I found win opened it up.

So a good cleaning and a good lube and it's all good

Next is to clean the grill up and install a light bar and build a new back bumper. Thanks for looking.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like another fun build. I would consider my 78 very much a budget build so it will be interesting to see where you take this one.
Really like the grille mounted LED bar, Is that a 12"? Also are those stainless insert for the bumper covers? I like the looks of that as well, lot better then the diamond plate most people would have used.

#4 ·
Thanks Brandon, yea I think my black 79 is a budget build ,spending as little cash as possible and doing all the labor myself. The light bar is a 13" and yes the insert are stainless, when I built the bumper I ran out of 1/4" plate and that was my solution. I think it turned out better that way.

#5 ·
Tried to removed one of the headlight bezel and a screw was froze up with rust. So a little construction adhesive fix it.
I removed the sway bar, I had already had tore them loose wheeling in W.Va.
The wife was saying the bronco was wondering on the road a little. After a little inspection the steering shaft was warn out, so I replaced it with the one off the parts truck.
The parts shaft was a little stiff, so a little cleaning and a good lubing and she like new.

#8 ·
Yes it's a 79 shaft. A buddy gave me a 1/4"plate 3'x 4' and I have been wanting to build a back bumper with a swing arm, so I can get the spare out of the back of the bronco. This is what I came up with.
First thing remove the stock bumper and the hitch
I can not believe these bolts broke loose.
I laid out some cardboard to get my measurements laid out.
The swing arm parts pulled from the scrap pile.
Used my old portaband and the grinder to cut the hub down.
Cut the back of the spindle down also.
laying out all the cut lines on the plate.
Used a strait edge with a cut off wheel on the grinder for the cuts.
I didn't cut all the way through.
Cut the hitch hole out before welding the two together.
The mounting brackets built and mounted on the bronco. I used a piece of angle and flat stock welded together to make the brackets.
The bumper just setting on the brackets.
:thumbup

#10 ·
:thumbupBut it was a lot to fill with a mig welder. Marked out the top to cut it out to slide it back a little.
Working on the angle of the mounting bracket.
The top of the bumper notched and tacked to the mounting brackets.
Mocking up the sides.
The side mocked up and the spindle flush mounted in the bumper.

#14 ·
Thanks, I'm with you on that.

What thickness is the steel you're using for the bumper? Great job so far!
It was a 3'x4'x1/4" plate a buddy gave me, Thanks.

That looks a little too tight even if you cut to the lines. Looks good like that, but if you hit something, the body will shift that much and scratch/dent.

Love the design!
Thanks on the design , I got 3/4"of clearance after cutting it back and cleaning it up. I think it's good. I stitch welded it up to try to keep the heat down and not to warp the bumper.
. The bumper on after a lot of welding and grinding.
. :thumbup

#17 ·
:rofl: Cutting of the plate was more of a pain in the ass. I went through a lot of cut off wheels.

I love the way you make it look factory made. (Only better) A lot of people would think that's pressed out of 1/8". That thing is strong as h3ll. That looks so nice, now you have to paint the truck. LOL.
I have another tub I will be working on for this drivetrain, this one has been beat to hell.:beer

#19 ·
Thanks,I think WILD HORSES four wheel drive has a 79 tube bumper with a swing arm.Take a look at it for an ideal. For the latch on the swing arm I had a spare track bar bushing I used.
With a small peace of tube in the bushing I drilled holes in the 2"x2"
I found a grade 8 bolt that fit the tube and I honed out a shock bushing to slide over the bolt.
Then just a small peace of angle with a hole drilled in it and the nut welded to it.
The swing arm welded up except the gussets and tag mount. I used another hub for the tire mount.

#21 ·
Thanks ,Christos. The swing arm had some deflection on the top plate. So I box the end of the bumper. Added a tube from the boxed end to bumper mounting plate, then a gusset from the tube to the top plate.
Starting to cut the back up lights in.
Mounting plate and the L.E.D.
In this pic you can see recovery points I cut out of some 1/2" plate. Driver side cut in.
I wonted two 12" slim line L.E.D. but at $75. bucks each I cud not afford them. So I settled for these 6"x1" L.E.D. I got 4 of them off amazon for $52. bucks.
I added a backing plate to the lights to protect them from anything being throne from the tires.
Primed and ready for bedliner. I always reduce the liner and add white play sand when I paint my bumpers. That way I do a few thin coats instead of one thick coat.
Painted and on the bronco.
The light on with the L.E.D. tag lights on.

#27 ·
I used a roller with the liner so no brush strokes.
This is the best closeup pic I have. The roller I used is for painting ruff serfices. I had to cut it down to a 3" roller.
And yes I'll just carry schackles.

#28 ·
Looks good and strong, the lights are a good touch. I had aimed on doing that to mine just never did.
really like the lights, may have to steel that idea.
great job on that bumper man.
Thanks guys, I would recommend the back up lights they work great in the woods at night.:thumbup

#30 ·
The sand makes the liner like 80 grit sand paper. When everything is wet and covered in mud you have plenty of grip if you have to stand on the bumpers.:thumbup

#29 ·
am I correct in thinking that you can use the "LOCK" part of the hub to keep the swinger open since it look like you used the whole hub assembly??? If that's right that is a great idea, looks great and is stupid simple to keep the gate open, I'd even trust that going down the road should you have to have the gate down to haul something. I have the stuff laying around to re-do mine into something like that maybe looking into it

#32 ·
Love the locking hub! I think your rear bumper is sweet! I was able to keep my bumper that got rear ended which only has one minor dent in it. I am thinking about adding a rear tire carrier to it.

#35 ·
Thanks OU, You should be able to figure out a way to put a swing on a tube bumper.

Dave the hub Idea is genius I have 2 extra after rebuilding the 85' I will need to incorporate that into the rear bumper.
Hay Thanks Ed but its been done before so keep the G word to your self.

That bed liner looks great! Have you any experience with it long term? How about if you don't prep so good? (I hate prep work)
Thanks Rich, I have had my bronco lined for 15 year. It will fade in time, but I just reline it with some reduced liner. The prep is easy as long as there is no oil residue and its scuff up good you'll be fine.
The bumper was done 10 years ago. I have relined only one time.
My doors are faded and I need to reline them. Its been over 5 years sense they where lined.:thumbup

#38 ·
So a few weeks back I went camping and the bronco had a power serge on the way their. It just cut out rolling down the highway and smoke came rolling out from under the dash. And when this happened it had blew all the light on the bronco except the new LEDs. Also I found the heater fan stopped working along with the windshield wiper,power seat adjustment and my amp . After it sat for a few minute it started with a jump,and I had no problems the rest of the weekend. It was the strangest thing? That's what I have been messing with the last few weeks.:banghead

#39 ·
A few pics of the dash pulled apart.
the heater fan is still good so the switch control is not wooking.
windshield wiper switch not working. I need a new speedo cable.
I think this is where the smoke came from.
I'm glad we have a parts truck.
the old duck tape repair.

Reactions: Dee
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.