Mongomann75's 85 Build - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
a Bronco named "patches"?

say what you will... many who have the ability would still be scared to go as far as you have.
good on ya! great resto work so far.
BigBlue 94 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1985 351W C6 Going thru severe Chemo and Radiation Therapy
I like that, I like that a lot!

3 Generations together on one Project, Our build thread, meet Patches.....

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=335545
post #63 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Getting Better

The state of my lower back was improved enough today that I decided to go to the garage! Check it out!

Got the rear most floor patch welded into place tonight then ground the high spots off so it would not hurt the knees when kneeling in the rear of Patches. Yes I do believe I am going to adopt the name Patches for the Bronco, the tally is up to 31 total "Patches" to date. I think it looks good if I must say so myself! Gonna have to spread the top of the rear quarters again, welding in the rear panel brought them in about 3/4 on an inch. Nothing to worry about thou, I fit the weather string in for the tailgate and am very happy with how it is going to fit! I will be off tomorrow night and back at it again on Wednesday! I also got the steel for the snow plow mount today as well as a 4' X 8' sheet 0f 16 gauge sheet metal for the rear panel, overhead shelf and consol, and the center consol. Moving along....... O yea another roll of wire has been melted into Patches! Thats 1 small roll and 1 11 pound roll of .030 wire!
reptillikus and cobrajoe like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco 348 10.5.1 E7 Ported 88 Gt roller cam retarted 5 Shorty Headers 3" after cats
NOT YOU FIRST TRIP TO BODY WORK. KANT WAIT TO SEE HOW YOU SEAL IT UP TO HELP THE BOYS IN THE RUST BELT STOP RUST .
post #65 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
^^^ are you mental or just not so good at forum communication?

Damn man. Looking better than I expected in 1/10th of the time.
you make me ashamed to not have ripped into the few, small rust holes I've got waiting for some love.

Glad you like the "handle". Seems to fit.
post #66 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:03 AM

Bronco Info: 1982 XLT Lariat
Mate thats a butt load of patches but its coming up really cool. So whats the end plan? 4wding and snow plough? Be keen to see how it all comes out. Your patch work is coming along great!

1982 Bronco XLT

466, Comp cam, roller rockers, alloy heads, Weiand stealth, 750dp, C6, 4 inch RC lift.
post #67 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Patches progress is coming along well! I have enough failed projects under my belt to know that I need to stay focused and determined if I plan to finish this one!

Kiwi, Patches will be used to plow snow mainly, but there are underlying reasons for building him as well. You may have noted the graphic I plan to use is BOV1. Bug Out Vehicle 1. Now don't you guys go crazy about me being a prepper. I feel someone should be ready for the things that are likely to happen in there area so I am building a rig that could if need be get me home or away from home in just about any type of weather situation, not to mention a rig that I can take wheeling again and not feel guilty about scratching or covering in 2" of mud. It didn't feel right doing that to my big truck.....

Cruising thru other threads on any forum one gets excited to see pictures that support the text. In my thread I am trying to make my readers excited about the text that supports the pictures! I love pictures in posts, it lets the reader feel as thou there are there with me!
cobrajoe likes this.

post #68 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:55 AM

Bronco Info: 1980 - Perkins Diesel 6 - Standard & in pieces
Mongo, Itīs a great work youīre doing on Patches, I really like this type of threads of re-births, resurrections and comebacks. Keep posting!

4x4 F-Series of Argentina

www.f-series4x4.com.ar
post #69 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

No pictures to add today.... but I did get 4 more patches welded into Patches last night! All the holes in the rear of the tub have been filled and fully welded from the top! Tonight I have a couple of areas in the middle of the floor to take care of and I hope to start on the passengers from seat mount!

post #70 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
So great to see that you're bringing this rig back to life!! Great work and dedication man keep it up, I can't wait to see the next picture update.

post #71 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 01:59 PM

Mate I get the BOV thing. Here in NZ we get a fair few earthquakes. I'm close to Wellington and its overdue for a biggy. I've got an old 89 Nissan 4WD called Rosie that I've always thought if the poo hits the whirly thing, I'll be using rosie to get me round. Shes a good old truck thats never let me down.

1982 Bronco XLT

466, Comp cam, roller rockers, alloy heads, Weiand stealth, 750dp, C6, 4 inch RC lift.
post #72 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 03:00 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT on 35's
Great job on the welding! I have almost similar rust spots on mine that will need to be tackled.
post #73 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Welding

Thanks! The funny part about Patches is I am positive that he rotted from the inside out, even last night I was looking at the underside and did not see any of the tell tail signs of rot. Everything underneath still has a decent amount of undercoating on it. You guys will see when I get the tub off! Has anyone else noticed that there Bronco's are rotten from the inside out?

post #74 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 04:29 PM

Buddy mine kinda did but ultimately its cos water was leaking in somewhere higher. Where the leak was was a small patch. Where it ended up tracking to and sitting within wet carpet....quite a bit bigger patch .

1982 Bronco XLT

post #75 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Retired Staff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONGOMANN75 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that there Bronco's are rotten from the inside out?
If you work on the tailgate, there's a piece of paper put in there just behind the removable panel. Often times, those get removed when someone works on the tailgate and they never get replaced.
Without that paper or something else in there to deflect the water getting into the tailgate as it pours down the window, the water can run right inside the rear of the cab and can even run as far forward as the driver/passenger seats. I have this problem currently with my '90 and I need to get it fixed before rust gets a foothold inside the rear cab.

That's likely the reason for all that rust developing on the inside.
post #76 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 07:52 PM
89 Problems

Bronco Info: 1989 with MAF 351w, D60 front w/ARB, 14 Bolt rear W/ARB, c6, 1356, 40s, Cage arms, etc
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
If you work on the tailgate, there's a piece of paper put in there just behind the removable panel. Often times, those get removed when someone works on the tailgate and they never get replaced.
Without that paper or something else in there to deflect the water getting into the tailgate as it pours down the window, the water can run right inside the rear of the cab and can even run as far forward as the driver/passenger seats. I have this problem currently with my '90 and I need to get it fixed before rust gets a foothold inside the rear cab.

That's likely the reason for all that rust developing on the inside.
Hmmmm... I didn't know that! My tailgate doesn't have the paper, but it also doesn't have a bottom... I was wondering how stuff near the front seat was getting wet. I figured the water would just run out the bottom and outside.

I know you believe you understood what you think I said
but I am not sure you realize that what you heard
is not what I meant
post #77 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 12:56 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
Read that one from Steve83 and it stuck, as I have that very problem.
post #78 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:02 AM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Quote:
You wouldn't have a pic of that?
post #79 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:10 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
Steve does... but his SuperMotors is so full of other crap.

I think I ran across it when I was looking at his "Tailgate Tech" stuff when I was repairing my spring bar that popped out of the bracket.
The paper is held on with the black, sticky, body panel goop, mainly at the top. They usually look like crap, from water stains... but they survive it pretty well to do the job. It's very easy to assume it's nothing and rip it off to get it out of the way and never give it a second thought.
I'm thinking of replacing mine with some 5 mil plastic I have left over from another project.

sorry for the hijack MONGO.

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 12-05-2014 at 01:12 AM.
post #80 of 365 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Steve does... but his SuperMotors is so full of other crap.

I think I ran across it when I was looking at his "Tailgate Tech" stuff when I was repairing my spring bar that popped out of the bracket.
The paper is held on with the black, sticky, body panel goop, mainly at the top. They usually look like crap, from water stains... but they survive it pretty well to do the job. It's very easy to assume it's nothing and rip it off to get it out of the way and never give it a second thought.
I'm thinking of replacing mine with some 5 mil plastic I have left over from another project.

sorry for the hijack MONGO.
No problem, we're all learning something about it! I was sure the rust was from water making it into the rear of the Bronco but had no idea this piece of paper was so important! I know Patches doesn't have one! The other thing is this spring that I keep hearing about? Is there an assist spring in the gate? I have a bracket bolted to the passenger side jam that I have no idea what its there for, could it be remnants of the assist spring? Picture would be great on these two subjects!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode