DSW's 94 Eddie Bauer (slow build) - Ford Bronco Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '94 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 automatic
DSW's 94 Eddie Bauer

Hey everyone!! So i finally have enough post to start my own build thread... So here we go!!

I have a 94 EB 5.0 automatic. Picked this thing up a couple weekends ago. traded a Pontiac Sunfire for it.. i think i got the better end of that deal.. hehe.. anyway, so the plan is to fix everything wrong with it first while restoring and painting what i can along the way..

Things i have already done..

1. replace IAC
2. Replaced Exhaust(muffler and tailpipe with flowmaster 44, removed second cat)
3. Flush and backflush coolant system( filled with mud)
4. replaced thermostat
5. replaced beginning of park brake line
6. cleaned throttle body

Things to do.. ( this list will obviously keep growing)

1. replace rear main seal
2. replace oil pan gasket
3. paint tranny .
4. rebuild and paint engine..
5. possible replace torque converter( if the money is there, but definately when i rebuild engine)
6. install new radio and antenna
7. repaint the body (youll see why)
8. paint the top (maybe some kind of bedliner?? suggestions)
9. 3inch body lift first (cuzz its cheap, lol)
10. 6 inch suspension (when the money is there. probably going with Bronco graveyard lift)
11. shorty headers
12. new y pipe
13. tranny rebuild (maybe)
14. to be continued...

pics coming up next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

here is what she looks like.

]

driverside fender was replaced by PO

here is the old exhaust.. it was dual from muffler.. driver side rusted out... passenger not to long before it went either.. went with factory single out

you can see my oil leak here.. even aftr i cleaned with engine brite...

post #3 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

start of tranny removal..

today i cleaned up my grandmothers shop so i can work on taking out the tranny.. thought it was only gonna take a few minutes, ended up taking almost 2 hours.. ugh.. so all got done was pull the truck in and put it on the ramps... the back will be jacked up and put on jack stands..

see all the junk in the back of the shop??

PO must have left this thing under a tree or something.. nasty looking top.. hmm, what to clean this with??

front shot.. notice, i made sure the truck aint gonna roll away??

thats all for today.. tomorrow ill actually start the tranny pull...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 01:52 AM
I Won My

Bronco Info: 1Ton Leaf Sprung 94 Bronco, KP D60/10.25 w/ 37" MTRs, Shackle Flip
Good start, and good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncarpenter1 View Post
Hey Steve change your sig.........

My Build
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=213420
post #5 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lager View Post
Im still on the hunt - can't wait to snag one. Wish I could see classifieds here...
i got real lucky with mine... i had an 05 sunfire that needed tons of body work.. but the guy was looking for something good on gas, so i came out on top this time.. good luck though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlRed94 View Post
Good start, and good luck
thanks
Fast Floyd likes this.
post #6 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

well i didnt get the tranny out today like i wanted.. i only had 2 hours of bronco time.. but i got everything disconnected except for the bell housing bolts, and the transmission crossmember.. so tomorrow ill have it out.. heres some pics i got today..

got the back end up.. my jack stands were nowhere near tall enough.. so cinderblocks do a good job..

these damn bolts held the transfer skid plate. 10mm bolt head with a 1/2" nut... dont make no sense..

got the rear driveshaft undone, and you can see my new exhaust..

another pic of the exhaust..

torque converter nuts came off pretty easy.. i used a impact with 8 inch extension then swivel then socket, worked great...

transfer case plug was tough as hell to come loose.. when i finally did, i busted my hand on the damn frame..

and front driveshaft completely out..

and side shot at the end of the day... i like the truck up this high.. hehe

thats all for today.. more to come tomorrow.. with plenty of pics!
post #7 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

ok.. so i got the tranny out today... worked on it for a little less than 3 hours.. so total removal time it right at 5 hours. not bad for my first time and all by myself..

But this day could have and almost got really bad.. B/c I almost crushed myself in the process.. Im ok though.. doin this by your self is do-able, but you gotta pay attention...

anyway.. So when I jacked the truck up, i figured it would make this ten times easier.. not the case.. i forgot to check how high my jack went.. not high enough. So i made a small platform for the jack to sit on out of 4x4's and 2x6's toped with a sheet of plywood.. not the greatest for rolling a jack on, but it worked.. I later remembered i had some 16gauge steel i could have topped it with to roll easier, but ohwell.. ill do it when i reinstall..

So here goes the pics...

Pulled the carpet back to get to the tranny access panel.. (block of wood held the carpet back)

Tranny access panel out..

here you can see my little platform... oh and for eveyone who is thinking about doing this with a regular jack, DONT use the straps like i did.. when lowering the jack they get loose causing the tranny to do what it wants.. I figured out later the right way.. which is hook directly to the pad..

another shot..

transfer case stayed on.. many people say take it off, but i managed to do it with it on..

crossmember removed.. you can definatelytell i have an oil leak.. lol

Ok, so here is where i was trying to pull the tranny back, cuz i thought i had all the bolts out. but i didnt.. lol.. so i removed what i thought was the last bolt and tried again with no luck. finally found the last one hiding next to the catalytic converter..

almost forgot to take these off.. dont know what they do though... all i know oil was coming out of em..

getting lowered..

once it was off the block and back a little, i put a strap here to keep it from tipping back with that heavy transfer case back there..

holding it up while i removed my makeshift platform. then rolled the jack back under and tied it down correctly( no pics of that. ill get one tomorrow..)

and its out..

flexplate shot..

thats all i got done today..
tomorrow ill replace the rear main seal, clean tranny(and possibly paint depending on the tempurature), jack engine up and replace oil pan gasket and pump if i can get it high enough... and of course ill be snappin pics the whole time
post #8 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XL stock for now.
Good pics. I have never pulled a transmission before so interesting to me.
post #9 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixster View Post
Good pics. I have never pulled a transmission before so interesting to me.
it was my first time... i did alot of reading and watching videos.. one of the writeups on here was my main source for info.. and asked questions before i got started.. great group of guys on this site..
post #10 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:47 PM
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
Congratulations on a job well done! Glad you didnt get hurt too. I would never attempt that job alone.

If you want to make a big mess, go to Harbor Freight and get one of their Soda Blasters. You will need a good sized compressor for it to work great though. It will make quick work of cleaning the transmission case. Just make sure you seal everything up so you dont get media inside the transmission. It worked out great for me.

Mine looked just like yours when I pulled it. And after cleaning it up with the soda and painting it it looked like this....

I made an room out of plastic sheeting to soda blast in. It still made a mess outside the room though, that stuff goes everywhere. But it worked great.

Tape up the front and back really good.

I also made me a rotisserie table to make it easier to work with.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
post #11 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Thread Killa

by the way, these lines are for the transmission cooler.

"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

post #12 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Thread Killa

I dont know if I told you about this stuff already, but I will plug it again anyway because it is such an excellent product.

For removing Oil, sludge and greasy buildup, get some of this from POR15.

Also when you get to the point of repainting your engine. I also Highly recommend their engine painting kit.

Comes with most everything you need. Theres a product in there for metal prep that eats away rust like its nothing. Fantastic product.

Get some extra regular POR15 for painting any of the frame while its out. Money well spent.
http://www.por15.com/ENGINE-PAINTING-KIT_p_49.html

post #13 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
Congratulations on a job well done! Glad you didnt get hurt too. I would never attempt that job alone.

If you want to make a big mess, go to Harbor Freight and get one of their Soda Blasters. You will need a good sized compressor for it to work great though. It will make quick work of cleaning the transmission case. Just make sure you seal everything up so you dont get media inside the transmission. It worked out great for me.

Mine looked just like yours when I pulled it. And after cleaning it up with the soda and painting it it looked like this....

that looks amazing.. i only have a 5 gallon pancake compressor :(.. but i do have 2 or 3 super old blasters that i might try and see if they work for this.. they were my grand fathers... and great idea on the rotiserie..

Quote:
by the way, these lines are for the transmission cooler.
yea, i posted on the newbie page.. steve hooked me up.. thanks
post #14 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I dont know if I told you about this stuff already, but I will plug it again anyway because it is such an excellent product.

For removing Oil, sludge and greasy buildup, get some of this from POR15.

Also when you get to the point of repainting your engine. I also Highly recommend their engine painting kit.

Comes with most everything you need. Theres a product in there for metal prep that eats away rust like its nothing. Fantastic product.

Get some extra regular POR15 for painting any of the frame while its out. Money well spent.
ill definately be ordering some of that..
post #15 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

So i only got in about an hour and a half today.. forgot my drill so i couldnt remove the rear main..

so i worked on the tranny... pulled the TC off and found that the front pump seal was bad, so gotta replace that.. then when i pulled the pan, i saw why my tranny was starting to act up... the fluid is totally burnt.. PO must have never changed it.. so i drained the fluid out of both the tranny and TC, replaced the filter and gasket and put the pan back on..

thats it for today... didnt get as much done as i hoped.. oh well.. no more progress till monday.. out hunting tomorrow and headed to MD for my niece's birthday party..

anyway.. heres some pics..

Torque Converter off...

draining the TC.. once most came out this way i drained the rest out of the drain plug..

just something to hold the tranny up..

heres a shot of the rear main after flex plate came off.. pan is leaking something terrible also..

nasty burnt ATF from TC

front pump seal, you can see its leaking..

went by napa and got fluid filter seal and gasket.. $90 just for fluid!! but needed...

Pan dropped..

side shot of valve body..

close up on that nasty fluid..

most of the pan empty.. looks like motor oil, huh?

very little sludge on the magnet.. (tiny tiny metal shavings)

made a little mess.. cat litter works wonders!

bucket full of fluid..lol

cleaned up inside of bell housing a little with some purple power..

side of tranny.. wish i had a blaster to get that gunk off.. guess thats on my list to get..

thats all today.. more to come monday..
post #16 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Thread Killa

Its actually about $25 cheaper to get a 5gal bucket of napa Dex- merc

post #17 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Thread Killa

The pancake compressor will work if the pressure is high enough. You may only get 30 seconds of blasting time for every 5 mins but it might work for a soda blaster.

post #18 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Its actually about $25 cheaper to get a 5gal bucket of napa Dex- merc
yea, i asked.. they didnt have any and wont get any till after thanksgiving.. that what i get for living in the middle of nowhere.. lol

Quote:
The pancake compressor will work if the pressure is high enough. You may only get 30 seconds of blasting time for every 5 mins but it might work for a soda blaster.
sounds good.. ill see about getting one.. wont get it while tranny is out though.. so when i do my engine rebuild this spring, ill have one to do both the tranny and engine..
post #19 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 PM

Bronco Info: '90 EB w/ '96 gt40 5.0, AOD, electric TC, 3.55 TTB/8.8
Kudos for getting that tranny out solo, especially with the tc still on.

A cautionary word of advice: Invest in some jack stands. Having that up on ramps and cinderblocks is sketchy to say the least. I almost crushed myself under my yota back in the day doing something very similar, and have seen/heard of other numerous close calls.
I'm sure you would agree your life is worth more than a few bucks for some stands.

Good luck with it!

"If you ain't first, you're last" - Reese Bobby
post #20 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBKO View Post
Kudos for getting that tranny out solo, especially with the tc still on.

A cautionary word of advice: Invest in some jack stands. Having that up on ramps and cinderblocks is sketchy to say the least. I almost crushed myself under my yota back in the day doing something very similar, and have seen/heard of other numerous close calls.
I'm sure you would agree your life is worth more than a few bucks for some stands.

Good luck with it!
thanks!..

yea, even my parents sed it's not a good idea.. ive got stands, they just werent tall enough.. ill try to put some blocks of wood under them and see if i can get em under there..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode