The rescue of H6230 (96) - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:26 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0L Automatic Bronco XLT
Looks like it'll be a good build. I'll be here watching for sure.

Built not Bought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
Today's project is replacing the worn steering box with a Redhead box. After watching a few videos to see how it's done, I started in on mine.

... and done!

post #23 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco XLT Trailer Special
Nice work!! I really dig this Bronco and love all the work you have been able to get done. You are definitely not afraid to try anything. Looks like your new pressure line has somewhat of a t fitting in line? Is it plugged off or open to allow you to run a line to a hydroboost off of it? Did it drive 1000% better with the new box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting There View Post
Nice work!! I really dig this Bronco and love all the work you have been able to get done. You are definitely not afraid to try anything. Looks like your new pressure line has somewhat of a t fitting in line? Is it plugged off or open to allow you to run a line to a hydroboost off of it? Did it drive 1000% better with the new box?
I was told that new replacements for the high pressure hose all have that fitting in them, and for vehicles that wouldn't use it, they supply a plug for the hole. I'd rather not have it in there, but I suppose it won't matter, as long as it doesn't leak.

I am just about to go drive it now, but I can tell you that just backing it out of the shop, I could tell a huge difference. You're supposed to wait overnight to let the fluid refill the box & lines, so I'll go check the level and drive it. I'm sure it's going to be 1000% better than what I had (which was hardly drivable anymore)

post #25 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Here's a photoshopped photo of what it would look like IF I put the original decals back on. Of course, this is photoshopped because it's a "grey area" having a fully marked vehicle running around, even if it was waaaay out on a farm in some rural Midwestern state. It would be 100% legal to do this once the vehicle was registered with antique plates and used for shows & displays, which is my plan in just a few years once it's old enough (25 years).
IF I had printed decals, I'd probably have made two sets (and kept the files to make more) so that I could put one set on before the body was repainted, and another set for the final version.

post #26 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosteh View Post
I was told that new replacements for the high pressure hose all have that fitting in them, and for vehicles that wouldn't use it, they supply a plug for the hole. I'd rather not have it in there, but I suppose it won't matter, as long as it doesn't leak.

I am just about to go drive it now, but I can tell you that just backing it out of the shop, I could tell a huge difference. You're supposed to wait overnight to let the fluid refill the box & lines, so I'll go check the level and drive it. I'm sure it's going to be 1000% better than what I had (which was hardly drivable anymore)

Thanks for the info about the line. Did not know they had them this way and planned to use a T fiiting on my pump.
post #27 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Here's a photoshopped photo of what it would look like IF I put the original decals back on. Of course, this is photoshopped because it's a "grey area" having a fully marked vehicle running around, even if it was waaaay out on a farm in some rural Midwestern state. It would be 100% legal to do this once the vehicle was registered with antique plates and used for shows & displays, which is my plan in just a few years once it's old enough (25 years).
IF I had printed decals, I'd probably have made two sets (and kept the files to make more) so that I could put one set on before the body was repainted, and another set for the final version.

What if you had the decals made on magnetic backs so they could easily be removed depending on where you were?
post #28 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting There View Post
What if you had the decals made on magnetic backs so they could easily be removed depending on where you were?
I've discussed that with a group of guys who restore & show vintage police vehicles, and some have gone that route. However, that never looks "right", and you have the issue of the decals being stolen or blown off as you drive. Most guys agree that applying them permanently, as-original, is the best way, and then if needed, cover them with painter's tape when driving on the road.

It's 6 one way, or a half-dozen the other.

But the focus & priority for the next few years is to just correct the basics on this truck and keep it drivable, so it can be moved around when needed. It's basically going into storage until it has those antique plates.

And to go off topic here... this thing just keeps pleasantly surprising me! After 2-3 weeks of sitting unused, it fires up instantly, idles perfectly, and runs & drives like new. It shows 101K on the odo, but I'd bet that it doesn't have 10K on it since the government restoration. I need to check the engine serial # and see if it was a crate-motor replacement.
post #29 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Here's another "photoshop photo" of what my truck would like IF it had the original marking on it. I have to say, to me it just looks "right"; and seeing it without any is difficult. And considering the condition some of these were in when in-service, it doesn't look that out of place to have bent bumpers, dents, and other issues.
Currently, I'm having the rear window bars made. Why? I'm worried that someone might try to break into it and steal my factory AM/FM radio! lol!

... and here's a photoshop of what it would have looked like IF my decal man made up a set of decals.

The fleet number, H6230, is the original number that this truck was assigned. The faded outlines of the number, as well as the assigned station (CHU) were still visible when I bought the truck.

Next minor project is to order those door striker bushings. That should be an easy fix!
I also need to get into the rear tailgate and get my window moving up & down again. I haven't been able to open the rear tailgate yet.

Opinions needed: I was going to flip the rear seat around to face backwards, and refabricate the front & rear cage screens. However, some friends have suggested that I leave that part of the restoration out, so that I can carry passengers in the "normal" way. I'm leaning 75% towards the in-service configuration, but I can see the usefulness of doing it the other way. What do you guys think?
post #30 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 01:44 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1996 EB
Garage
Maybe I am not envisioning how you are going to set it up, but seems to me like flipping the seat would make it a major pain to get in and out of from the front of the truck.

On a separate note I really like what you are doing restoring the original marking on the truck. Very cool!

oh and I think I need a redhat now also! The list never ends

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
Build thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=352625
Supermord site: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/26920
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #31 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 07:36 PM

CHU star#?
post #32 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcowboy View Post
CHU star#?
V598 (it changed a few times, but that's the one I remember the most. Think I was 352 later) Yours?
post #33 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bronco View Post
Maybe I am not envisioning how you are going to set it up, but seems to me like flipping the seat would make it a major pain to get in and out of from the front of the truck.

On a separate note I really like what you are doing restoring the original marking on the truck. Very cool!

oh and I think I need a redhat now also! The list never ends
If I flip the seat, there will be a metal mesh screen installed between the front & rear seats, making it only possible to get into the rear seat by entering thru the tailgate area. Yes, major pain, but that's not really the concern of the driver. lol!

Thanks! And I'll let you know how the redhead works out, but from everything I've heard about them, it's a quality part that will last much longer than any "normal" rebuild. At least that's how I justified to myself spending the extra $!
post #34 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 05:33 PM

post #35 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
--
post #36 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
front bumper straightened & new (plastic) Ford license plate holder installed.
It's subtle, but having a straight bumper really makes the truck look nice. Well, maybe not nice, but a bit more presentable. Now on my way to the salvage yard to see if the straight rear one I saw a few weeks ago is still there!

post #37 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Door handle broke. Who could blame it? It's 20 years old! So I replaced it.
Then, after about a month, it broke again. WTF?! Cheap Chinese plastic!
So I replaced it again. If it doesn't last this time, I'm going to get some of those metal ones!
post #38 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 05:07 PM

Bronco Info: 78 XLT Ranger, 390/C6/NP203
Take off the door panel and on blaster the cable. Odds are the metal it torn for the door handle mount. You will just keep breaking them

I'm glad I stumbled on this build. I love the Gov use stuff
post #39 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Remember when I said that I wasn't going to touch this thing until (1) it was an antique, and (2) I finished my other project car?
I also said that I was just going to focus on keeping it in running & driving condition so that if I needed to move it around, I could. I wasn't going to worry about any of the "little stuff"

Well... yeah right! lol!

Anyway, I've been watching prices on those stainless tailgate trim panels and realized a few things. There aren't many out there that aren't beat to hell, and the owners of the ones that ARE decent, straight, and unscratched seem to think they are made of solid 24K gold with a brushed stainless skin! $$$!!!

I finally found one online that, at least in the photos, seemed to look very nice and was priced to sell, so I bought it. It's now sitting in the back of the Bronco (which is in storage), waiting for me to install. I haven't even seen it in person yet! But I basically HAD to get it, as the one on there now is a huge sore thumb (I choose to ignore the other huge flaws, like horrible paint on the fenders and cracked windshield), plus they will only get more difficult to find as time passes (That's my justification for buying it). I passed on that $500 NOS one on eBay a few months ago; I was tempted, but wasn't ready to spend that much on 1 trim piece for a truck that I paid $1,500 for! But anyway, I have a good one now.

To add more temptation, I have been talking to BroncoJoe96 about the nice door panels and seat upholstery from one of his parts trucks, and we finally got together and they are headed my way. Joe treated me very fairly, but I have to say that we were both a little shocked on what oversized shipping costs lately. But, it's supposed to be clean & nice stuff (at least much better than I have) and if you've looked around for '96 interior replacement parts, you know that there are NO reproduction door panels or correct seat upholstery available. All the restoration focus seems to go to the earlier trucks. So thanks to Joe, I will soon have some decent looking seats and doors!

I also have a bad eBay addiction, and found something that will most definitely help me keep the truck running and mobile while in storage; a practically NOS Ford AM/FM cassette radio. This will replace my current radio, which is the same thing but in a beat-to-hell condition with half the lights inside burnt out, but still works. Hey, it was just a few bucks! It's not like many people are wanting 20-year-old stock Ford radios. Of course, I'll probably replace the factory speakers with some a little more durable and quality... since I'll have the door panels off anyway.

Which leads me into the next step... carpet. The inside of this truck smells like a wet dog. Or more accurately, a wet dog that's been laying under a tree in Mississippi for a few years, growing green mold on its fur. Nobody wants to ride in this thing, except my 10-year-old, who's immune to stink anyway (as all 10-year-old boys seem to be), so I figure if I replace the carpeting, along with the soon-to-be-professionally-cleaned seat covers, it will help quite a bit! Oh, but that also means I'll need to replace the front & rear headliners, and of course, new foam for the seats. Holy crap! I'm practically restoring the whole interior!

But honestly, it's not much cash outlay. For less than $500, I'm dramatically increasing the appeal of my truck... which cost slightly more than I'm putting into it, BUT that's irrelevant!

Oh, and I've got a source who's located the exterior lights that I'll need! But I'm not going to worry about that right now. The interior clean-up is basically all I'm going to do on this truck until it's an antique & I get my other car finished.

... yeah right!
post #40 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:05 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1996 EB
Garage
Quote:
Remember when I said that I wasn't going to touch this thing until (1) it was an antique, and (2) I finished my other project car?
HA I think we might have all said something similar at one point and time. I swore when I first bought mine that it was going to stay "stock"

I think I still have my original stock radio sitting on a shelf somewhere. I probably would have given it away. Maybe I should throw it up on ebay for kicks...

Sounds like you have a few good projects to keep you busy!!

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
Build thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=352625
Supermord site: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/26920
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode