The rescue of H6230 (96) - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:27 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 12v/6BT; 1997 CCSB F250HD 7.3
How did you straighten your front bumper? Or did you replace it with a straight one? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman94X View Post
How did you straighten your front bumper? Or did you replace it with a straight one? Thanks.

A friend who has a body shop straightened it for me. I didn't see them do it, but they used some sort of pogo-stick apparatus. They did have to take it off the truck to straighten it.
post #43 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:33 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 EB 5.8
Garage
Great find!
After everything you're doing, a white two stage paint job will be relatively easy on that truck.
I like the bars on the side windows. Keep at it!!
Will be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
Remember this?

Well, thanks to ebay, I found a replacement for the leather-wrapped wheel that the truck originally had. Considering what it costs to have one re-wrapped, this one was a steal! New (well, not new, but extra-clean used) airbag/pad is on the way!

So now I have a few little projects, including the nearly NOS factory radio & door strikers. I also found a supplier that MIGHT have the original blue cloth insert material. I have a sample, just need to check it against the original when I next go visit the truck.
post #45 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
ut oh! Seems that the hood bracket has been rubbing on the heater core hose.

post #46 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
old "good time radio", which has seen better times:

New "good time radio"! Now the good times are rolling again!

post #47 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
I replaced the tailgate trim with one I found on the internet. It's not perfect, but much better than most I've seen available, and MUCH better than what I had.

Oh, and it looks like someone's been in the tailgate before... looks like government work to me.

Here's what it looks like now:

post #48 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 08:22 PM

Bronco Info: 94 bronco ,5.0 maf ,e4od
To me it looks like somebody just got really lazy in the past. Are you going to bother to fix it or say screw it sence its covered up anyways?
post #49 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Bronco Snob

Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 351W E4OD 4" lift TRE flip 225 amp 3G Alt Saginaw P.S. BBK Headers Bassani Y....
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosteh View Post
... looks like government work to me.

Looking good

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a higher degree of both. - Milton Friedman -
post #50 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Construction ford View Post
To me it looks like somebody just got really lazy in the past. Are you going to bother to fix it or say screw it sence its covered up anyways?
I'll eventually fix it, but it's going to be a more involved summer week project rather than something I can do over a Saturday. What concerned me most was the dirt/mud that's settled inside, in the bottom of the gate. You can sure see why Ford had moisture barriers in there. As for dust... well, cutting a hole in the tailgate and then driving it up & down dirt roads for years equals lots of debris inside. I need to completely wash that all out ASAP and then make sure it stays dry and clean.

For now, the truck's not being driven and it's parked under a roof, so I hope it's not going to be an issue to let it sit like that for a while.
post #51 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Well you could just take a piece of tin and use a sealant and some rivets go seal it up sence it won't be seen anyways and then you'd have a nice little access hole again with ease.
post #52 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
She spent the weekend up on the lift, getting a few parts replaced in the front end: brake pads, rotors, tie rod ends, ball joints, shocks, ect. Also replaced rear shocks, since you might as well once you replace the fronts. Broken lower core support panel was tack-welded back in place, and now the hood doesn't flap around like a chicken with a broken wing! New tires will probably be on it by the end of the month. Then it should be road-worthy enough to drive it around a little.

Lots of surface rust, but nothing deeper. You can tell that this truck has never been in the salt, which I'm eternally grateful for! Actually, the underneath looks pretty clean & straight. I can't wait until I can really jump into this project and do it right, like some of you guys have done! Just think how nice that frame would look powdercoated & all cleaned up! But once again, I'm not really supposed to be working on this until my other projects are finished!
post #53 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Looking good. Be nice to get to drive it huh? Keep the pictures coming.
post #54 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 02:16 PM

Wow I really envy how rust free that is underneath.
post #55 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Construction ford View Post
Wow I really envy how rust free that is underneath.
I sense sarcasm.

It's not the greatest photo; what you see there is all minor surface rust. The body is solid. Not a bit of rust on it, and that's a huge thing for us here in the Midwest, where tailgates, floorboards, wheel wells, lower doors, rockers, quarters, and even frames on cars half this old are often starting to go.

This (mine):

is much better than this (someone else's):

post #56 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 05:22 PM

No sarcasm at all I really do envy it. That blue one even looks like its more solid than mine.
Ghosteh likes this.
post #57 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 09:13 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0L Automatic Bronco XLT
Looking good man
Ghosteh likes this.

Built not Bought
post #58 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 11:56 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Ranger XLT, 76,000 original miles, (was) 1 owner
Garage
Impressed, keep it up. Love seeing the progress.
post #59 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Alignment. We're waiting on the new shocks (Bilsteins) which should have been here by now.

New tires. I was really on the fence with this. I absolutely wanted to keep the stock rims, so that limited my choices somewhat. 32's would have looked great, and I probably wouldn't have had any rubbing issues, but in the end I went with the same size I had on there (31x10.5), in a Dick Cepek mud tire. Surprisingly, they are quieter than the old BFGs that I had on it. If I end up getting 30-40K miles with these, I'll be happy. (That will probably take me 10 years)

Then we spent the morning fabricating the side bars. These are exactly the same size and built the same way as original. It finally looks "right" to my eyes.

And the interior is looking better now too!

I think I'm pretty much done for the year.
dash_cam likes this.
post #60 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Ranger XLT, 76,000 original miles, (was) 1 owner
Garage
It is only 14Dec15, you still have a few days left until 2015 ends, don't stop yet, Santa is on his way.

Looks great.
dash_cam likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode