Rept's Super Slow Re-Re-Rebuild (90) - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 232Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Yeah times flies, its hard to believe hes already 6 months old now. Mom says he's just like his dad- a ball of fire who cant sit still for more than 5 minutes

No real progress on the bronco. Weve been doing some work on my buddies XJ, along with some more work on his brewing stands, and now im working on the floor in the kitchen/foyer. Hopefully ill have a progress update to this thread before xmas.
cobrajoe and Fazfamily like this.

88bronco: web / FSB || 96 bronco: web / FSB || 96 F250: web / FSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
Sub'd.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #63 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:39 PM
No avatar required

Bronco Info: Mods don't have Broncos silly
Do you still have the original 8.8 that came out of it? Text me the answer .

95 XLT Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 10:10 AM

Bronco Info: Had a bronco.... Now just a '95 F250 Powerstroke.
Garage
Really digging the OBA mount. It turned out really nice tucked up in there!
post #65 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 05:51 PM
89 Problems

Bronco Info: 1989 with MAF 351w, D60 front w/ARB, 14 Bolt rear W/ARB, c6, 1356, 40s, Cage arms, etc
Garage
WOW that york mount is awesome! I picked up a 210 in a junkyard the other day, mine is a bit easier since I can use the BroncoAir pulley, but I think I am going to make a mount bracket myself. very cool.

I know you believe you understood what you think I said
but I am not sure you realize that what you heard
is not what I meant
post #66 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Thanks guys

The broncoair stuff is nice; ran it on my 351 and it worked great. While it would fit on this motor, theres no room for the York with the wider 460. Hopefully this bracket works out, time will tell.

Well i promised an update around Xmas, so here it is:

First things first: Reinstalled the brake booster/master on firewall and then removed the steering column in trade for my original column. I also managed to find an 87-91 wheel w/o the cruise buttons which will be going on at a later date

So, then this happened:

Front clip + 42s back on!!!

Truck is so big, the garage door wouldnt open if the hard top was on

The front clip was inevitable. I needed the 42s on though. Since i want it to be a bit more streetable, last year i bought a set of Bushwacker cut-out flares. But, i dont like the look of the 87-96 flares, so i bought 80-86 instead. Since they technically dont fit, i couldnt follow the directions to install them. So instead i needed the tires on the bronco so i could figure out where the flares actually need to go. So, here we go!

I started at the rear left, because gas filler door.
Cardboard mockup of sheetmetal to be removed:

some rust thats gonna have to go:

Bam! Flare mocked up!

Its impossible to get good pics with this side against the wall.
I have the filler door cut and sitting on my work bench, need to get that reinstalled.

Passenger side installed!

Looks good, i really like the shape of these flares

They just barely cover the tires

With the rear done, i can move on to the front:

This shows the absolute minimal amount of sheetmetal you can remove to install the flares. Its mostly in the corners

Flare mocked up

The corner will get cut off, but not till way later down the road, when i get around to building a front bumper

The money shot: This shows how much more material i can remove w/o impacting the install of the flare. More on this later.

Driver-side cut

Rust: repaired

So, here's the plan. Once all 4 flares are 'installed', ill then remove them. Plan is to install riv-nuts in the fenders, and use machine screws to hold them in place. I want to be able to easily remove them when i go wheeling. Theyre too expensive to smash on a tree!

So, back to these two pics:

This actually looks like a pretty good amount of room for the 42s. Most of the clearance issues i ever had were at the corners anyway, not at the top.

However, as you can see from this pic, theres lot of more sheet metal i can remove, and still be able to reinstall the flare:

So the plan now is to open the wheel wells up a tad bit more, install riv-nuts and then weld them back together again. My goal is to have a nice open wheel well for wheeling, and then install the flares over top of them for when im not offroad. But before i can cut the wheel wells any further, i need to reinstall the fender liners, and see what i can get away with. Thats why im doing the front first; once i get a final shape to the fronts ill remove the rear flares and do the same. Then the flares can go back in their boxes, and the 42s can come back off, until way later down the road.

post #67 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:06 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 sport,6''SAS 37's streetlocks 4.56's ARB,BroncoAir rear bumper HeftyFabworks front bumper
Looking good. Must be the picture, but those 42's look kinda small.

KEEP CALM AND BRONCO ON
Silent One's Supermotors Page
January 2010 FOTM Winner
@silentjde on instagram
post #68 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
I can only assume its the weird angles i have to take pics at due to being inside. Cuz i kinda feel the same way, altho theyre the same tires ive always had on it. Cutting the fenders makes me want to step up in tire size again
cobrajoe and 445 FE Bronco like this.

post #69 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Progress!

I was trying to install the fender liners to see how i want to finish the cut on the fenders. But, the core support was repaired by the previous owner, and i wasnt thrilled with the job he did, so i said screw it and ordered a new one from LMC. So that delayed me a bit.

Ginormous box!

Old core removed...

...and new one installed!

Modifying the core body mount brackets for tire clearance

While i was waiting for the core support to come, i started on the floorpan repairs

This is the worst spot ont he whole body, already cut out.

This is the next worst spot. Once these two are done, itll just be minor repairs.

Here i have to pause; ive got t-case issues in the 96 that ive got to deal with.

post #70 of 189 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
SO i pulled the front clip back off. The first cut to the fenders that i made, was the bare minimum to fit the cutoff flares. Now the plan is to remove two more inches, which is about as much as i can remove, and still be able to reinstall the original fender liners. So here we go!

Line drawn, and a whole ton of tabs cut

The process of bending them over begins

All tabs bent, heres roughly what the fender will look like when the flare is removed

after a whole sh*tload of welding & grinding, both fender panels are now rewelded

This shows you how much more material is removed.

Made a template of the new wheel arch, and transferred it to the other side

A ton more cutting, bending and welding!

Finally got some primer on them the other day.

If all goes well ill be able to get the front clip reinstalled sunday, and i can then begin working on the fender liners. Theyre gonna need to be trimmed up a bit now that the wheel well is bigger. I also need to install rivnuts for the flares. Hopefully i can get both done by the end of next week, we'll see!

post #71 of 189 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Tragedy!

I was moving the front clip, and bumped into one of my shocks. It fell over and this happened

Guess ive got no excuse now, were upgrading the shocks.

Front clip reinstalled! Wheel well is pretty big now.

I installed the fender liner (Yes its actually bolted into place in this pic). Its gonna need some work if im gonna reuse it!

Also got my riv-nut tool, so i can start installing the nuts for the flares

Im gonna start working on the fender liners next i think. Gotta get a game plan going. Currently thinking im gonna roll the seams on the firewall, then trim up the fender liner, and maybe make a piece that will seal the back to he firewall. Dunno yet. Long term use proved the tubbed wheel wells i did last time were a nightmare for shedding heat, so this time i want to make sure i leave as much open space under the hood as i possibly can.
445 FE Bronco likes this.

post #72 of 189 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
So i had some time to play with my rivnut tool. Its actually really easy to use, so ive got about half the rivnuts for the passenger flare installed

Still need to order the final hardware; theyll be 8-32, and i want to use stainless button head screws mainly cuz i think theyll look cool when installed

I installed the OEM battery tray, it just fits

Same as the bracket for the airbox

So it looks like ive removed as much as you possibly can, to still reuse these brackets
So the plan is to get some 1x1/8" flat stock and build some brackets to attach sheet metal (or maybe even sheet plastic) to to build inner fenders. But first, i have to finish this:

Started cutting down a ginormous chokecherry tree because its a messy tree thats mostly hollow from years of carpenter ant abuse, and its also where i want to put a shed this summer. So once i get this thing all cut up and the stump ground down ill jump back on the bronco. So many projects, so little time.

post #73 of 189 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:48 AM
Charlie don't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Digging the work you did on the fenders..s**t ton of work, but they look great.it's giving me some ideas..I'm realizing there's no way around the fact that I'm going to have to pull the fenders and cut a fold mine they just look sloppy the way they are..

post #74 of 189 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Ugh its so much work Im gonna guess ive got 12 hours into the cut & reweld, which actually isnt that bad i dont think.
I used a square and sharpie to draw a rough cut line, and then the fastest way to cut the tabs was actually a grinder since it wont dig in like a sawzall does. Hammer & pliers to bend em all over, and lots of on-the-fly- cutting and grinding to get the tabs right for welding. The Mig makes short work of the job; last time i did this i did it all with my stick welder with 1/16 rod. So much slag to chip!

The fenders will need some cleanup & bondo work prior to paint, but all said and done, i think they came out pretty decent for a 'wheeler.
445 FE Bronco likes this.

post #75 of 189 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 07:46 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, havenít decided T19 9" R, 44F/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Hmmm I am a tinner and I never used the rivet nuts, pretty cool. Maybe punch some louvres in the wheel tubs for heat dissipation?
post #76 of 189 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Yeah they're pretty neat. You can get pretty much any size/thread you want, and pretty easy to install.

Last time I ended up adding a whole bunch of holes to the fender liners right in line with the headers to help evacuate heat, I will probably do the same again.

post #77 of 189 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 02:38 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
I have been planning to use the same nut-serts to install my LUND visor. Since you've just used 'em... how do you think they'll do for the job. I really liked the idea that I could remove and re-install the visor easily if needed for a cracked windshield swap, without causing potential leaks like sheet metal screws or regular rivets would/could.
post #78 of 189 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Ive been playing around with em, set a few into a piece of scrap sheet just to see how they work. Drilling the correct hole size is crucial to them holding. But once theyre crimped, there is no chance of ever pulling it through the hole. You can get them in both AL & steel. The AL ones are very easy to crimp, easier than using a pop rivet gun, altho you have to be careful because you can actually rip the threads out of them with the tool while crimping it. The steel ones are harder to crimp of course, but once done, its there forever. The 8-32 riv-nuts im using have ~ 1/4" of thread, so theyll hold far better than i need for a set of fender flares.

This is the crimper i bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Comes with a bunch of dies & riv-nits, but not 8-32; that i bought separate (also from amazon)

Attached is a pic of the backside of one of the 8-32 nuts crimped. Looks good once done. When youre using them, youd think you were threading a screw into a tapped hole not an insert. I love em, im gonna end up using these things everywhere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2356.JPG (58.4 KB, 36 views)
BikerPepe` and Dee like this.

post #79 of 189 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 01:36 PM
FSM Lifetime

We put a ton of those nut-serts in a JK to mount sliders and tube fenders. Our tool was ancient compared to what you are using. PITA.
BikerPepe` likes this.

Last edited by Stang; 03-29-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: I spelt porely
post #80 of 189 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
well thanks for the feedback. I bought the exact same kit back when I still had the '90 based on a recommendation from @schwim but the LUND visor I picked up turned out to be cracked up pretty badly and when I tried to fiberglass in the cracks, the fiberglass mix I used didn't bond worth a damn, so I never tried to mount it. good to know they're working out so well. I've also been considering using them to mount my "oh sh!t" handles for the little lady. glad to hear the setup was a solid investment. sorry for the hijack.
reptillikus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode