242Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Rept's Super Slow Re-Re-Rebuild (90)

Ok peeps, here we go again

So after years of wheeling and not caring, ive pretty well thrashed the body on my bronco.

The whole cab is twisted so the full doors don't come even close to closing so we have to use the half doors any time we take the truck out, and then tarp it up so it doesn't get wet inside n the rain/snow.
So after going back and forth, we decided to go back to a bronco body on this thing. The cab/bed was cool and all, but it dosent really have much room for carrying much gear, and not being able to drive it on the road sucks. So I stared looking for a bronco project. I wanted to stay true to the trucks roots (I have owned it 16 years afterall) which meant the body has to be an 87-91. I wanted to find something clean because im not a sheetmetal guy, and the condition of the drivetrain was completely irrelevant because im just going to drop the body on my frame when im done.

So I snooped around CL for quite some time. Seen trucks come and go, but nothing really jumped out at me. Then one day I spotted a lift 4-door bronco on CL up in the Poconos. Only two pics of the exterior, but it looked like a decent buy for the price, so I made the trip. On an impulse i decided to go up there and see if it would be a decent beater to cruise around in. Unfortunately it was a bit rough around the edges, more-so than I would've liked for a street cruiser so I decded to pass on it. But while BSing with the guy, he told me about this bronco he had planned to restore, but it never really happened. So we go over to take a look at it, and its perfect. its a '90 in decent shape with no motor or trans. The perfect donor vehicle! So we struck up a deal, and I brought it home

So here she is, in all her glory.

It was a parked in stones under a tree for 10 years, so while being absolutely covered in moss, appeared to be in decent shape!

He had put a body lift in it (homemade, about 2"), and he built his own shackle flip for the rear with some extra leafs stuffed in there for some more lift. And there it sat, never got around to lifting the front, or doing anything else to it.
79BroncoSpringTx and cobrajoe like this.

88bronco: web / FSB || 96 bronco: web / FSB || 96 F250: web / FSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
That was back in May, it pretty much just sat in the stones at my house until closer to the 4th of July, whena buddy came over to help me get this project started.

We scrubbed the hell out of the hard top (it still needs a lot more work) and then yanked it off and set it on the trailer. Then gave this thing its first bath in 10+years

Pulled the tailgate off; the shell is shot but the hardware is all in great shape. Started yanking out the interior and found an old mouse-house behind the real panel, along with the former tenant

We pretty much gutted the whole interior except for the dash, and then then called it quits for the day.
So much clean sheetmetal!

...and stuffed into the garage until the next time I could get around to working on it
cobrajoe and dash_cam like this.

post #3 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
More disassembly progress!

The last of the interior & dash came out

Rust hole up near parking brake pedal

and a little bit of rust back near the tailgate

...That's actually the worst of it The rear fenders have some rot, but it doesn't matter since I have to cut the fenders to clear the 42s anyway. That will all come way later on.

This part is concerning though

He welded a piece of box tubing into the body out back instead of using body lift pucks, so im gonna have to get this cut out and see whats going on behind it. Don't want the body lift, the truck is tall enough as it is.

I also got the sound deadener stripped off the floor as well
cobrajoe likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Fast forward to about two weeks ago.

Doors are now off

And I stripped and removed the front clip

The is no real rot on the under-side of the tub, but there is rust at all the seams in the sheetmetal. So after going back and forth I said screw it and set up the tent in the stones
cobrajoe and dash_cam like this.

post #5 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
So last Thursday a bunch of buddies came by, we rolled the truck over to the tent, lifted the body off and got it set up.

The frame is back in the garage for now. Im stealing some brackets off it, plus all the body mount hardware, and then chopping it up for scrap.

So yesterday morning after I got home from work I suited up, grabbed the whire wheel & the sand blaster and went at it!

...so that's where she sits as of now. Before you ask, im not sand blasting the entire tub, only the underside. I have no intention on driving this thing in the road salt, but i dont want to get it all done and have the floorpan start rusting away a year or two later. The fenders & interior are clean with good paint on them, so theyre just going to get prepped and painted later on. The underside is going to get sprayed as soon as im done down there, so I can get it on my frame and get it back in the garage.

Progress on this thing is pretty slow as I only work on it a couple days a week. Today im painting in the house, but hopefully tomorrow I can get back out there and do some more blasting.

post #6 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Good to see you working on it Kevin.

Rick
"Left for Dead"
Filly

[email protected] (also on facebook)
post #7 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
I'm subscribed!
post #8 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
so... are you gonna keep it nice now or go back out and scrub trees again?

sub'd
cobrajoe likes this.
post #9 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 sport,6''SAS 37's streetlocks 4.56's ARB,BroncoAir rear bumper HeftyFabworks front bumper
Awesome to see it becoming a bronco again, even though I dig the pick up version.

KEEP CALM AND BRONCO ON
Silent One's Supermotors Page
January 2010 FOTM Winner
@silentjde on instagram
post #10 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
so... are you gonna keep it nice now or go back out and scrub trees again?

sub'd
post #11 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:10 PM
I did all for the Nookie

Bronco Info: 89' Bronco 5.8l Variable Speed V8, Forward, Rev, Turns left, right, stops, and everything.
Garage
Am I the only one who can't see the pictures? Good to hear you are going to redo it again.

351W, ZF5-47, BW1356, 10.25/D60
FOTM DEC. 2011
"Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati,"
When all else fails roll over and play dead.
post #12 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 12:44 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
post #13 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 01:19 AM
I did all for the Nookie

Bronco Info: 89' Bronco 5.8l Variable Speed V8, Forward, Rev, Turns left, right, stops, and everything.
Garage
It must have been blocked by the Internet at work. Looks like its gonna be pretty cool.
dash_cam likes this.

351W, ZF5-47, BW1356, 10.25/D60
FOTM DEC. 2011
"Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati,"
When all else fails roll over and play dead.
post #14 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 05:58 AM

Bronco Info: White 1993 Ford Bronco 4X4 5.0
Definitely sub'd. It'll be sweet to see it look nice again.

'93 XLT; 5.0 V8; E4OD With Sonnax SureShift (hopefully to be 5.8 and ZF5); 2.5" RC lift; 33x12.5 BFG AT KO2s; 4.56s; Truetrac; Warn Premiums; Flowmaster Super 40 muffler; Sag swap; Redhead steering box

If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it should move and it won't, use WD-40.
post #15 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
After seeing the body that's getting replaced, I'm pouring a preemptive 40 oz. for the new body.

And subbed!
dash_cam likes this.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #16 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Thanks guys

The plan this time, is to make it look good. I aready bought a set of 80-86 Bushwacker Cut Out flares in prep for attempting to cover the tires a little bit. I intend to properly cut the wheel wells though, not just sawzall em open like they suggest. New bumpers are in the works as well, since mine have been mostly the same (just minor mods here and there) for over 10 years. I have a mostly complete set of interior parts in Charcoal (the dark gray) that's going in in place of the blue. Gonna spray the interior in Al's Liner, as well as the underside. Thinking about a gun metal color for the exterior, and im definitely going to put the racing stripes & depth markings back on as a throwback to the p/u body. Also going to revisit the wiring for all the stuff ive added to the truck (OBA, ARB, elec fan, line lock, etc), and give that an update as well, since ive definitely gotten better at wiring in the 10 years since Ive added all that stuff.

End result *should* be a really nice bronco to cruise around in, with my proven one-ton drivetrain underneath. Yeah im thinking of taking it a bit easier on the trails; with the p/u cab, since I wrecked it the very first day offroad I really didn't care too much what happened to it, but this time I kinda want a clean rig.

I have yet to start stripping down the bronco. I need to finish blasting the underside of the donor body then get it painted underneath. Then I need to chop up the donor truck's frame, and then im going to dismantle the bronco. Plan is to be able to just strip it down and roll the frame into the garage. Then I need to do some maintenance to it as sitting idle for months at a time as wreaked havoc on all the seals; it needs a rear pinion seal, rear wheel seals, front diff seals, O-rings in the ARB and a front pump seal for the trans. Also need to repair one body mount hole, and chop off the mounts I built for the stepside bed. THEN the donor body can go on my frame So yeah, lots of work to do, before I can even set it in place.

post #17 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 07:35 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 4x4 460 4 speed on 40" tires
Garage
Looks like a well thought out plan to bring your rig fully back to Bronco status.
post #18 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 sport,6''SAS 37's streetlocks 4.56's ARB,BroncoAir rear bumper HeftyFabworks front bumper
Rept's Super Slow Re-Re-Rebuild

If I can cruise around Rausch and keep mine somewhat clean, (last trip added A LOT of pinstripes, not the cool kind) you shouldn't have issues.

BTW, your still ahead of me, my axle has been sitting for a few month and I have about an hour worth of work and it would be ready.

KEEP CALM AND BRONCO ON
January 2010 FOTM Winner
@silentjde on instagram
post #19 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Dammit Jim stop slacking and get to turning some wrenches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzirb View Post
Looks like a well thought out plan to bring your rig fully back to Bronco status.
Yeah this has been coming for a while, so ive been going over all the little things I want to do while its apart. This list is not short! Theres lots of other things I want to revisit while im in there. Im even thinking of moving the air compressor down to where the smog pump was, so I can put the factory air box back in. As an added bonus, this would allow me to go full baller and the get the a/c working again

As for updates...there isn't really one Progress has been made! But im still sand blasting, so not much.

post #20 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
Dammit Jim stop slacking and get to turning some wrenches!

It's hard when you turn wrenches all in the summer in a hot shop, last thing I want to do is more of that when I get home. Back at it soon though.
445 FE Bronco likes this.

KEEP CALM AND BRONCO ON
January 2010 FOTM Winner
@silentjde on instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode