DD/Beater Build! (96) - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 164Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 219 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:43 PM
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Bronco Info: '94 XL/2"front spacer/1ton TRE Flip/Upgraded E4OD(To PSD specs)/2"rr lift blk/5100 Bilstein/33"BFGs.
Garage
Subscribed for references !

μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 219 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:25 PM

Bronco Info: Had a bronco.... Now just a '95 F250 Powerstroke.
Garage
The small lift is a nice touch, stock sits too low in my opinion. The bigger brakes are a bonus too. Moar beef!

Planning on a matching spare too?
post #83 of 219 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Thanks guys
Im really digging the way it sits now.

As for a spare......
current plan is to modify the stock carrier for an 8-lug wheel. Then carry one of the steel wheels that's currently on the white 97 F250 the motor came out of. Eventually ill get my hands on a matching spare but not a super huge priority right now. Odds are very good itll end up on 35s when I buy new tires for it next year, so ill worry about a correct size spare then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter109 View Post
i chose to remove it on my 89 build/ 94+ F4TE block. although mine came with a 90 degree elbow after the oil cooler to mount the filter on. this mean that the filter kinda stuck forward of the rest of the block and screwed on sideways to a standard filter. kinda hard to describe. yours looks like it would make it slightly more difficult to change the oil filter (over a standard oil filter with no oil cooler.)

nice progress BTW. keep it up!
Yeah ive decided not to use it. Its not like itll be towing a big trailer or hauling heavy loads or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
Crank pulley wasn't hit at all?
Nope, which is why I was surprised when I saw the timing cover was cracked. No damage to anything else on the motor, as far as I can tell.

Speaking of the motor........

88bronco: web / FSB || 96 bronco: web / FSB || 96 F250: web / FSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 219 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Hre's the crank sensor, the bracket for the sensor (which replaces the timing pointer), and the super elusive 351 Mass Air harmonic balancer:

Installed on the motor. The crank sensor/timing pointer bolts to two threaded holes on the timing cover, instead of two of the timing cover bolts like it does on the SD motors. The replacement timing cover came from Dorman, and doesn't fit for shit. What a PITA to install.

...and now, the money shot!

The headers are JBA titanium-ceramic coated shortys. Big fan cuz they are not at all blingy like the chrome ones.

Unfortunately this will be the last update for the week. If you snoop around in my recent pics, youll probably spot parts to an 8.8- that's because me & buddy are building an Explorer 8.8 for his XJ (4.10, Spartan locker, Solid diff cover, disc brakes, etc). Plan is to try to finish reassembly of the rear tomorrow, and then try to get it swapped in Wednesday/Thursday. After that he's gonna help me drop the 351 in, but we don't expect to do that until next week. After that his jeep comes back in the garage so we can do a high pinion 30 swap up front along with some other mods. So yeah, busy
sharpshooter109 likes this.

post #85 of 219 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Ok, we're back at it!

Took some time off to build an 8.8 for my buddies XJ. So we got that all wrapped up, and brought the bronco back into the garage to resume work. Just in time too, as it started snowing like hell as soon as we started

Coming down so fast we couldn't keep the bronco clean

But atleast we got her inside. We ended up getting about 4" that day. Later that week we got another 18" of snow, most of which is now gone. So I have been busy dealing with snow. Finally got back to working on the bronco this past Monday, when Greg came by and helped me drop the motor in.

Im so used to looking at the 7.3 & 7.5 on the other trucks, I forgot just how small the 351 is

Installed idler pulley (96 351 doesn't use a smog pump) and alt bracket + alt, then laid the harness over the engine

Final installation of headers:

So now here is where the fun starts. I am now in the process of wiring up the motor. Sounds simple, and it probably is, but im taking my time. The truck was 302 Mass Air, and it will be 351 Mass Air. But the 351 was SD. So I am slowly removing everything SD specific, and replacing it with the Mass Air parts. It is mostly a direct swap, but there are some differences, which I will highlight as I go along.

So, first up.

The Mass-Air trucks have the AIT installed in the back of the airbox

The SD motors have the AIT installed in the lower intake. In this pic it is now removed, with a pipe plug in its place

the 351 uses two different ECT's. The books call it "with" or "without" air pump. So this pretty much means the Mass Air motors got a different ECT than the SD ones.

Old one installed in coolant standoff, new one in my hand.

Also of note, that pipe the ECT is installed in (which feeds coolant to throttle body & heater core) is shaped very differently than its 302 counterpart. Altho all ill need to do is shorten the rubber hoses coming off the heater core and itll work just fine.

Heres a weird one I haven't sorted yet.
The truck has a wheel with cruise control. So I would assume it has cruise. However, if you look closely in this pic that I took when I first bought it, youll notice the lack of a brake pressure switch in the master cylinder

So, not thinking about it, I bought the 'cruise' master for the F350, which uses the brake switch. Then went to plug it in and couldn't find the plug! Did some digging around under the hood, and found it! Its located between the power distribution box, and the relays for the tow package, with a dummy plug plugged into it

No idea whats up with that yet, but for now its going to stay there. Ill dig around in my EVTM and see whats up with it, maybe only certain motors use it? Ill figure it out eventually.

I have also noticed that the DPFE mounts on the driver's side of the throttle body on the 302, but on the passenger's side of it on the 351. Of course I don't have the 351 bracket but I do have the 302 bracket, and I should be able to make that work without too much work. More to come on that one later.

This is pretty much where im at as of right now. Tomorrow im gonna do some more tinkering with it, so ill continue to post up pics of all the weird little things as I come across them. Its taking me a little bit of time, because I don't know what the engine bay should look like for a Mass-Air 351. Don't know the vacuum routing, what sensors actually belong there, etc, so its slow going as I compare to my EVTM to see which parts I need to use. Mostly just small updates from here on out I suppose, while I finish up the motor swap.

post #86 of 219 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:48 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer
Garage
That's one sexy engine!

post #87 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Thanks, now hopefully she runs ok

The list of things that change continues

The TPS sensor, while being physically identical, had a different plug for the SD trucks vs the Mass Air ones, so that must be changed.
SD on left, Mass Air on right

If you look closely, youll notice the 97 SD throttle body has two extra vacuum ports, where the CANP tied in. However the 96 Mass Air doesn't use a CANP, it uses a VMV, so those ports don't exist. Im still using the 351's TB, mainly because its in way better shape, so ive simply capped off those ports

The 96 trucks use a DPFE instead of an EVR for the EGR. On the 302s, the sensor is mounted on a bracket on the left side of the motor, right on the plenum.

The 351 has the DPFE hanging off a bracket directly next to the EGR, o the other side of the TB. So, only 2 threaded bosses

While at first glance the 302 & 351 EGRs look the same, youll notice the threads on the bottom are quite bigger on the 351's EGR.

Homefab DPFE bracket, which puts the DPFE roughly where it would be from the factory. Ford had it maybe " lower than this, but close enough for me. On the 302 with the DPFE on the other side, the pigtail for it is loomed up with the IAC. So I simply split those two up and re-loomed them separately. This is the only change ive made to the harness, to go from a 302 to a 351.

Saginaw swap!

Junkyard trans cooler out of an F250, biggest ive ever seen from the factory

Started laying out all the vacuum lines. Since this motor doesn't use a smog pump or TAD/TAB, this went fairly smoothly. I did find lots of dry rotted plastic lines, so the whole system has been replaced with new rubber hose

She's almost a runner!

I got the rear shaft back from the driveline shop. Shortened 1", and fully rebuilt with Spicer parts.

Things left to do:
  • change fuel filter
  • New fan shroud. The 302's shroud doesn't fit the new (bigger) radiator.
  • new coolant return hose from TB to radiator
  • install upper rad hose & fill system
  • install intake tubes
  • whip up temporary downpipes for headers for now, until it gets an exhaust system
  • put battery in and turn key? I think im that close.

First non-rainy day we get, ill be at the junkyard trying to find a fan shroud. Once ive acquired that piece, I should be able to finish this thing up and see if she runs!
post #88 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Went to the junkyard Monday and scored!!

One fan shroud, under hood light harness, cruise recall harness, power steering cooler off of an E-series, and a pretty sweet rear cargo mat, all for a whopping $12.50

Tuesday I ripped out the stock cooling loop, and swapped in the cooler

And then finished up the engine bay!

So this morning I went to change the fuel filter, and found the line between the filter and the fuel rail is all bitched up previous owner must have broke the fitting at the fuel filter, and then half-assed a solution to make it work. It was rigged pretty bad. So after not finding anyone who could even get one, I ended up ordering the line from the dealer. Wont have it till Monday, which SUCKS, cuz I could have had it running this morning

With that plan busted, I decided to pull the fuel pump relay, throw a battery in it and see what would happen!
So the rear window wasn't moving too well, but some lithium grease fixed that; she works great now. First time ive put the tailgate down; it would seem both tailgate cables are broke so ill have to get a pair. As youd expect, the defroster tabs are busted off the window.

Turned the key on and found out that all the indicator lights work except the left turn signal. So I swapped the bulb from the ABS light into there and presto! fixed

Only other problems i saw was the horn doesn't work, and the airbag light is blinking 32, so im guessing the clock spring is bad. Not sure if its worth fixing?? I figure I either get a new clock spring, or ditch it and use the non-airbag steering wheel off the parts truck (97 F250). I know the airbag light blinks out the error codes, but I don't know if a bad airbag system pops a CEL or any other DTCs? Is it possible to just unplug every module for the airbag system and never look back? Or will the PCM know its not there and throw a code? I have to research that.

I have to make another trip to the junkyard as when I removed the bezel from the dash, I noticed that several of the mounting tabs are broken. I figure while its off I might as well replace it.
BroncoJoe96 likes this.

post #89 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Bronco Info: 92 302 E4od 35s stak3spd monsterbox 4:88 ectedmaxf/r rcv axles hydro-assist steering sas vair
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
Went to the junkyard Monday and scored!!

One fan shroud, under hood light harness, cruise recall harness, power steering cooler off of an E-series.
what year E series did the PS cooler come off of?

At times it's best to keep one's mouth shut & be thought a fool, than to open it & remove all doubt! Abraham Lincoln
Welcome to our Addiction, where counseling consist of admitting the problem is you and your Bronco is the Cure!
Thank you for Making me FOTY 2016
post #90 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Charlie don't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
looking good..you're so close..

post #91 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
I know! I was super excited thinking it might run yesterday, oh well. I've got other little things I can do in the mean time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasFREE!!!! View Post

what year E series did the PS cooler come off of?
I found a whole ton of them, might go back for one or two more. 4th gen, 92+.
itwasFREE!!!! likes this.
post #92 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Ok, made some progress on the dash & column.

Airbag Code 32 + no horn both point towards clock spring. So I pulled the airbag & steering wheel off

Close-up of clock spring p/n for a '96

Ign lock cyl is toast, key comes out in any position

Swapped in the lock cyl from the parts truck (97 F250)

non-airbag wheel from same F250

Harness for the wheel

Airbag trucks use a black plug, non-airbag uses gray. They are pinned the same and even shaped the same, the difference is the gray one has a thicker pin so they wont fit together, altho they still will with a little effort. Either swap the plugs, or sand the side down a little.

Harness installed on column. Aside from the plug (mentioned above) it swaps right onto the column

Remove airbag computer

and install your new steering wheel! I still need to locate a non-airbag hornpad with the cruise buttons.
Don't forget to remove the bulb for the airbag while youre in there.

While I was under there I found some wires to fix

I also took the time to remove the factory radio for a new one. Youd think if it still has the original radio in it the wires would be fine, but youd be wrong

Everything is all fixed up now, and the new head unit is in. I have speakers to put in, just didn't get that far.

Windshield done, hood back on, new fuel lines installed. The bronco lives!! Once the fuel lines were purged it fired right up. I was only off-time by 1. So I had it driving around the yard a little bit, it seems to be ok. I still need to recalibrate the speedo, ill do that Monday. Ive got an apt for a new exhaust system set up for Tuesday morning, then it gets an alignment & inspection Thursday. So if all goes well, ill be driving it in another week!!!

post #93 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:19 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 sport,6''SAS 37's streetlocks 4.56's ARB,BroncoAir rear bumper HeftyFabworks front bumper
Turned out to be a pretty nice ride.

KEEP CALM AND BRONCO ON
Silent One's Supermotors Page
January 2010 FOTM Winner
@silentjde on instagram
post #94 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:34 PM
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent one View Post
Turned out to be a pretty nice ride.
x2

Great work... Video of the crank up? or did I miss it?
post #95 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Thanks! Im super excited to drive it, cant wait till I get it back from the alignment shop so I can start cruising the streets in a bronco again

I didn't shoot any vid. They were here changing the windshield while I was putting the fuel lines in, and I actually got it running while they were finishing up

Once I get an exhaust in it, ill try to get some vid of it for you guys

I still have speakers to put in it. Id like to find a set of rear XLT panels instead of the black cardboard ones it has. My Sag pump is leaking a little so thatll have to get swapped. My dash bezel is cracked so I want to change it, and im on the hunt for a cluster with a tach. Of course I have to find the cruise pad for the wheel too. Oh yeah, and I still have to mod the tire carrier for an 8lug wheel. So ill probably continue to tinker with it for a while after its road worthy. But for now, I just want to cruise!
BikerPepe` likes this.

post #96 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:58 AM
I'm OBSessed

Bronco Info: 94 XLT 5.8L/e4od, 95 XLT 5.8L/e4od
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
Thanks! Im super excited to drive it, cant wait till I get it back from the alignment shop so I can start cruising the streets in a bronco again

I didn't shoot any vid. They were here changing the windshield while I was putting the fuel lines in, and I actually got it running while they were finishing up

Once I get an exhaust in it, ill try to get some vid of it for you guys

I still have speakers to put in it. Id like to find a set of rear XLT panels instead of the black cardboard ones it has. My Sag pump is leaking a little so thatll have to get swapped. My dash bezel is cracked so I want to change it, and im on the hunt for a cluster with a tach. Of course I have to find the cruise pad for the wheel too. Oh yeah, and I still have to mod the tire carrier for an 8lug wheel. So ill probably continue to tinker with it for a while after its road worthy. But for now, I just want to cruise!

I've got a cluster with a tach if you're interested pm me. I'll let it go for what I paid plus shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1994 Bronco XLT 351w e4od
1995 Bronco XLT 351w e4od
post #97 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:00 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
awesome man. I caught this early on and lost track. perfect time to catch up though.
it's coming along so well and so fast. I wish I had 1/4 of the know how and motivation you've got bud.
thanks for sharing as well as you do.
post #98 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Thanks Pepe!
There were a few setbacks but I think it went pretty well overall. The drivetrain stuff was all pretty straightforward I think, nothing new there. The wiring was the biggest hurdle for me, I pretty much had to learn the OBD-II stuff while I was doing the swap. But it seems to have worked out ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtetterton View Post
I've got a cluster with a tach if you're interested pm me. I'll let it go for what I paid plus shipping.
I gotta go to the junkyard anyway for some other parts, but if I don't find one ill def PM ya. The challenge is, it has to be a 94+ cluster, because Ford moved the indicator lights around a bit.

post #99 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:53 PM
I'm OBSessed

Bronco Info: 94 XLT 5.8L/e4od, 95 XLT 5.8L/e4od
Garage
Lemme know. I've got three I think in that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1994 Bronco XLT 351w e4od
1995 Bronco XLT 351w e4od
post #100 of 219 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
She's Done!

Yesterday around 3pm I got home with the bronco! Tuesday morning I dropped it off an an exhaust shop, where they built me a full stainless exhaust

Once that was done, I dropped it off at a pretty good alignment shop, which just so happened to be about 1 mile south on the same road They had it until Thursday afternoon, doing an alignment and inspection. As soon as they called me, I hitched up the trailer and ran down there to pick her up
The bronco aced its inspection, no problems whatsoever

By the time I got home and got it off the trailer it was already pretty late for me (I work nightshift), so my maiden voyage was my trip to work last night It did great

A few things I noticed.

#1, the driver side door was misaligned, and leaked air pretty badly at highway speeds.
#2, the 305s vibrate once you get to 70mph
#3, the B Code SuperDuty leafs are the perfect leaf for the back of a bronco, they ride great
#4, a 2.5" Tough Country lift with a single shock at each corner, and no sway bar, not so much

This morning after work I realigned the door, and then put the sway bar back on the front, which obviously made a big difference. I also replaced the broken tailgate support cables. There is still more work to be done, but its all minor now. I want a tach cluster, and a pre-air bag horn pad with the cruise controls. I need to replace the blown rear speakers, modify the tire carrier, and, now that I know the trans shifts fine, I can install my Punisher valve body sitting in the garage After that its basically 'done'. For now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode