283Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fodder View Post
I'd recommend LED bulbs if heat is an issue. You'll probably get better light output, too.
appreciate the tip but I was installing the full "other" LED kit from TCM GLX when I found the problem, so that's already in process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '92 Custom
Garage
Yay, my title arrived today! It was signed over to Peddle LLC in late January. They appear to be a cash for clunkers outfit, which definitely makes sense given the condition of the truck. It would be interesting to know what they paid for it. I bet it lines up with the post-auction counter-offers, less selling fees.
dash_cam likes this.

'92 Bronco Build Thread - '95 MAF 5.0, H5 axle code, York OBA, 3G alt, custom jump seat console, flomaster steps/sliders.
http://www.supermotors.net/28006
post #43 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Continuing with the removal of 25 years of funk... My steering wheel puller and Fairchild KF2005 beltline molding set arrived today.

Beat to hell seat belt stalks and barely transparent gauge cluster. Yuck.

Beat to hell beltline moldings and barely legible HVAC panel.

The old beltline moldings were starting to scratch the glass. The new ones are so thick and plush, it actually takes effort to crank the window (manual) now.

Stock steering wheel installed. Found a non-CC cover for it. Horn works now! I've got a blue emblem to glue on.

'92 Bronco Build Thread - '95 MAF 5.0, H5 axle code, York OBA, 3G alt, custom jump seat console, flomaster steps/sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:51 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
nice progress!

i plan to (eventually) pull my steering wheel with an airbag and replace it with the older wheels without an airbag. the airbag isn't hooked up so i'd like to be able to hit the center for the horn instead of the little thumb tabs i have now.

not my truck, pic for example
post #45 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:31 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8 .040 Roller Cam X heads JBA headers 4" Skyjacker 33s 4:11s L/S rear Tru Trac front E4OD
@dash_cam The F250s also used the steering wheel you want, through 96.
dash_cam likes this.
post #46 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_cam View Post
i plan to (eventually) pull my steering wheel with an airbag and replace it with the older wheels without an airbag. the airbag isn't hooked up so i'd like to be able to hit the center for the horn instead of the little thumb tabs i have now.
Yeah, that's horrible. Almost as bad as what I started with, having no horn. :)

I don't know if you have cruise control, but the spare steering column I used the wheel from had a CC cover that was dented in. I reshaped the backing plate a bit, figuring I would use that before finding the non-CC one. You're welcome to it if you need one.

post #47 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:23 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Thanks @fodder but I'm good for now
post #48 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's alive!!! Well, sort of...

The Ford Racing spark plug wires arrived today. Of course, mail came three hours later than normal, just to up the anticipation. I added a bit of water to see if it would run and drive -- just up to the point it started leaking out the back/bottom of the engine (*) -- and the truck fired right up and idled on its own.

I drove it around the block successfully, but the idle dipped a few times and it finally stalled just as I was backing up in front of my house. Perhaps warming it up longer would help, but I didn't want to try that just yet with a bad coolant leak. To recap the tune-up and troubleshooting stuff I've done:

- Duralast Gold starter
- IAC cleaned and new gasket
- TB cleaned and new gasket
- Motorcraft CX1228 TPS
- MSD 8227 coil, MSD 8482 cap & rotor
- AutoLite 25 spark plugs & Ford Racing M-12259-R301 wires
- new air filter
- PCV valve cleaned, rattled freely and had only minor gunk
- MAP and distributor cap checked for moisture
- ECU checked for visible capacitor leakage or board damage
- full vacuum line replacement

I'll have to look into idle adjustment and coolant temperature sensor next. Oh, I couldn't really follow the advice for separating certain spark plug wires, since the Ford Racing 9mm's don't fit into the stock clips. What do people do for that with the bigger wires? I imagine there is a bigger clip available somewhere.

Edit: Almost forgot, I've got a new fuel filter to put on, and I got my fuel pressure tester in the mail the other day. That's worth firing it up again to see if it's a fuel pressure issue affecting the idle.

(*) A friend has an engine hoist and is going to help me pull the engine to see if it's something easily correctable like rusted out freeze plugs.

While driving around the block, I noticed a neighbor has a last Gen Bronco parked out front. I'll have to go by later and see if that's theirs or a friend's.
PJCHANNING likes this.

post #49 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Zip ties will get the wires under control
BikerPepe` and PJCHANNING like this.
post #50 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_cam View Post
Zip ties will get the wires under control
Simple. I Like it. Maybe I can soak up some of that extra length while I'm at it.

post #51 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got the 16-LED bulbs for the Mustang dome/map light and went out tonight to see how bright they are. To my surprise, the driver's door triggered the dome light. It only worked once, however, then flickered when I pressed the plunger after that.

So, my wiring fix and the general circuit are good. There must be a near-break somewhere in the wire, beyond the portion I patched.
PJCHANNING likes this.

post #52 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Step 1 of a planned custom air box, using the more direct F-250 snorkel.

As mentioned in another thread, "the stock snorkel pulls from such a tiny space below the hood and narrows down to an alarming degree as it enters the air box." The F-series snorkel can't help but be an improvement.

Here's where the F-250 snorkel pulls from, just to the side of the radiator. The cutout and bolt hole are already there.

Step 2 will be building a box, probably built up from the stock box's base for mounting purposes, although I would like to extend it down and out some for more volume. Step 3 will be wrapping the stock snorkel around the back for dual inlets, and Step 4 will be adding a cone filter to the K&N intake tube I picked up. I have more pressing concerns and probably won't complete it any time soon, but it's something to tinker with as ideas present themselves.

I also picked up an '83 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 aluminum wheel with good tread to be my spare. The Dodge had two other wheels, but one was a bit damaged and both had blown out tires, so I didn't bother trying to complete the set. My thinking was, an aluminum wheel with tire size that matches what I've got on the Bronco (31x10.5x15) will cut 10-15 lbs off the steelie's weight that came with the truck, putting less strain on the external carrier and looking good in the process. I'm not sure how well that worked out, though...

Ramcharger 31x10.5x15 = 62.1 lbs @ 6-7/32" tread, measured 29.5"x10.75"

old steel spare 31x10.5x15 = 59.8 lbs @ 3-4/32" tread, measured 29.25"x9.75"

I did read beforehand that the Ramcharger wheel weighs 20 lbs, which is a bit stout for a 15" aluminum wheel. Then again, factory wheels tend to be built more for durability than for light weight. There's probably a couple pounds more tread on it than the steelie, so they may be very close in weight when taking wear into account. Then there's the surprisingly large difference in measurements vs spec, with the two wheels looking like totally different sizes when alongside each other.

Edit: I think the Ramcharger is a replica, actually. Stock should be 15x6 or 15x6.5, but this one has 15x7 stamped on the back, which is better for the 10.5" tire width. I don't see any Dodge markings, either.

post #53 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:06 AM

Bronco Info: 95 bronco 5.0 (original) swap to 5.8 (in process)
Garage
Nice upgrade on the f250 snorkel. That should be one of those things everyone should do unless your big on getting into the mud, and even then it's barely a height difference
fodder likes this.
post #54 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:05 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1987 Bronco 302/NP435
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBroncoKid View Post
Nice upgrade on the f250 snorkel. That should be one of those things everyone should do unless your big on getting into the mud, and even then it's barely a height difference
I was going to say the same thing. my 87 has that snorkel setup on it. not sure how it got there but the PO went through a mud hole with it and blew up the motor. I'm going to be swapping back to the normal snorkel to give me a little more height.

I thought that type snorkel was stock on the early EFI broncos (excluding 85 and 86 broncos, they have a different style snorkel too), but that makes sense that its an f250 thing.

87 Bronco EFI 302, NP435
Sweet Melissa (Red and White 87)
Bad Luck Bronco (Blue and White 89)
i used photobucket to embed images here. since they screwed me and quit hosting 3rd party images without warning i have tried to fix all MY broken links on the site here. if you notice any of MY posts with a broken link or missing image, please PM me with a link to the thread and i will fix it.
post #55 of 414 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBroncoKid View Post
Yeah, I don't anticipate driving through anything above bumper level... Here's how ridiculous the stock snorkel's input to the air box is:

F-250 snorkel on top, Bronco snorkel on bottom. It's hard to believe those hook up to the same exact spot. It's almost like the Ford engineers were playing a joke on us, checking to see if anyone was paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter109 View Post
I was going to say the same thing. my 87 has that snorkel setup on it. not sure how it got there but the PO went through a mud hole with it and blew up the motor. I'm going to be swapping back to the normal snorkel to give me a little more height.
I assume the damage was done from mud suffocating the intake? I wouldn't think mud would get through the filter. In which case, it could have been alleviated by a second intake source like I'm planning on.

More updates...

I located the bolt holes (no rubber plugs as some have said) under the mat and installed the XLT center console, which turned out to be the perfect storage spot for my towing equipment. I put the locking pin through the hitch to deter theft when left in the truck. I'll build some sort of padded insert to tuck it all in neat and tidy, maybe carved out of electronics packing foam.

I'm missing one cup holder insert, but I think I want to get deeper non-stock ones, anyway. Finding 3" O.D. inserts is fairly easy, but they're all marine ones with drain holes. Talk about counter-productive in a storage unit. I may have to just give in and do something to plug the holes.

I've wanted to get the 40/20/40 F-series seats, but I think I'll just stick with this console, which is much easier to step over to get into the back, and perhaps upgrade the buckets.

When the truck was delivered, they parked it in front of the trees, making it barely visible from up the hill. After my brief test drive around the block, I moved it up and got my first good look at the roof. Yeah, that's ugly. I'll do some masking and lay down some fresh paint one of these days. The gnarly patchwork on the roof is where the forestry service light would have been.

A bit of wheel cleaning and...wow, they were chrome all along! That was an unexpected transformation. I have the rear center caps, but am missing 4 of the 6 bolts to install them. I keep forgetting to look for those at the junk yard.

Ramcharger wheel cleaned up, painted, and mounted. That looks good enough to steal... So, I ordered a Trimax ST30 lock and put a bike lock on it in the meantime. Tailgate lock installed now with newly made key, and missing Ford emblem added. I still need a tire carrier tailgate catch.

An idea I've had in the back of my head for a few days. I've got a couple of these thick cutting board panels that I figured would be close to the rear seat footwell space, and it turned out to be perfect, being just the right depth and having maybe 1/4" of overlap at each end to rest on the seat belt covers for the test fitting. I'm thinking of a binned storage system there, hinged where the rear seats would bolt down. That makes for an easy open cover as well as a latch-able gate to keep stuff from sliding forward in the cargo area.

I also painted the grill black today, but haven't put it back on yet. It's expected to rain again in the morning, so best to wait a bit. A friend should be stopping by tomorrow to help me pull the engine and hopefully fix the major coolant leak.
BikerPepe` and PJCHANNING like this.

post #56 of 414 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:27 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
there's a write-up somewhere around here where sixlitre put a small, hidden storage space in that same spot.
I've been somewhat surprised not to see more examples of that. good luck. coming right along.
post #57 of 414 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
there's a write-up somewhere around here where sixlitre put a small, hidden storage space in that same spot.
You're talking about the cutout into the raised section behind it, right? I've got that thread bookmarked to do at some point
BikerPepe` likes this.

post #58 of 414 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:45 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
I am... and I'm not sure but if you plan on keeping your rear seat and folding it forward, you may need to double check how deep it sits in that hole you're talking about filling up.
It's probably not an issue... but just a thought. I don't run around much with mine folded up.
post #59 of 414 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
if you plan on keeping your rear seat and folding it forward, you may need to double check how deep it sits in that hole you're talking about filling up.
The rear seats, side brackets, and seat belts were taken out on day 1. :) That's partly why the 40/20/40 front seats appealed to me, having that 3rd seat in the very rare event that two isn't enough. I'm still looking at ways of building side jump seats into the back, though.

post #60 of 414 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:54 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
interesting choice. my Dad took his rear seat out of his '78 so long ago, we don't even know where to find it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/57-78-96-build-forum-builds-only/455609-92-utility-hauler.html
Posted By For Type Date
4x4Builds.net New 4x4 Builds This thread Refback 05-05-2017 12:52 AM