1989 Bronco 4.9L Build - Ford Bronco Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco, two early Broncos, 93 C350.
Garage
1989 Bronco 4.9L Build

This is a fairly clean 89 Eddie Bauer Bronco I bought from a friend without an engine. It had a 5.0 in it but was removed by the owner for a rebuild then never finished. Friend bought it for the wheels and tires then sold it to me. I am a Bronco collector and this makes #4 that I currently own, however the newest by far with a 78 being the second newest. I had a freshly rebuilt 4.9L from a 95 F150 in my garage that I was going to put in another project including all EFI stuff. I want to do something a little different with this build so the straight six should be fun. This will be used for off-road only in the mountains of Arkansas.

"The amount of fun you have in life is directly proportional to the amount of fossil fuel you burn" -Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
Looks like a solid start, my 300 has pushed my 92 around with minimal complaints for almost 300,000 miles now. Also, im extremely jealous of the lineup you've got going there. We need pictures of the rest of your fleet

Dylan

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
2014 Mustang GT
1991 BMW 525i
Ford Parts manager, members needing help researching or locating Ford OEM parts send me a PM!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
Great to see another 300/4.9 build! I love the 300/NP435 combo in my 84.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Addicted to Junk

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Great to see another 300/4.9 build! I love the 300/NP435 combo in my 84.
Agreed

My 300 is getting sent thru an np435, np208, and 4.56 gears. Thats 350+ ft lbs at a 79.5 to 1 crawl ratio. It will pull anything and go about anywhere.

My 94 351 e4od with 4.88 was like 30 to 1 crawl ratio.

309ci inline 6, 9.75:1 CR, Big Valves, ROLLER ROCKERS, Clifford intake and headers, Schneider 140H cam, DUI HEI ignition, 450 QFT 4bbl carb, Saginaw swap, FlowKooler water pump, Steel timing gears, 2.5in y-pipe into a single 3in cat and borla muffler.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
I would love to have a NP435 behind this but the AOD is what I got. I have a NP203-205 doubler that I am about to remove from other project that will be available but I don't even want to think about mods until the engine is in and this Bronco runs and drives.

"The amount of fun you have in life is directly proportional to the amount of fossil fuel you burn" -Anonymous
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Bought the I6 engine perches today. Painting and assembling the engine this weekend, hope to get it in next weekend!!

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
I am using Flickr now and reuploaded my pics that were from Photobucket. Here's where the I6 perches will sit.

Should I leave the 302 perch there on the driver's side or cut it out? It's bolted and riveted in there. The passenger was only bolted. I don't see an issue with the V8 perch staying there but now is the time to remove it if I need to.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
I would definitely remove it. It looks like it would block easy access to something in the future and you'll regret not removing it! Just grind the head off the rivits and punch them out.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
The rivets are impossible to get to so I got the reciprocating saw out and cut it off. Bolted the new perches in place and took a break until the temps drop this evening Scoop you know about this Texas heat. Also cut the front part of the V8 exhaust off.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Big step forward, lots more to do.

lugnut1009, SRWillis and d_rock like this.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 05:49 PM

Bronco Info: '89 XLT, 5.8, GT40's, Flowtech headers, AOD, 4" Lift, 4.56's, 33's
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizefighter View Post
Big step forward, lots more to do.

Yes! Looking good!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

'89 XLT, 5.0, AOD, 4" Lift
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:42 PM

Garage
Btw, where did you buy the engine perches from?

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66WarPony View Post
Btw, where did you buy the engine perches from?

Ebay and I paid a pretty penny. I would've like to have found a member doing a V8 swap or gone to the salvage yard but that didn't happen and I needed to move forward since it was holding the project up.

What oil should I buy?? This is a fresh rebuilt engine and I'm looking to pick up some oil this weekend.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 01:22 PM

Garage
I've looked all over eBay and never found diddly. What was your search query? Get some Brad Penn, they should have some good break in oil.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
I bought an Offenhauser intake from a local. I planned to use the factory EFI stuff but this is so much simpler and he almost gave it away to me. Has anyone ever deleted the air tubing running into the head? Do I just cap it off with bolts? Looking to get rid of it. I bought a points distributor to run with it from a 73 F100 and using the original coil that came with the 95 F150. Feel free to give me input, I am learning as I go and relying on internet searches for advice.

I bought this Lucas oil at O'Reilly's, it looked like the best they had. Primed the oil pump with a shaft and drill. Found a 95amp 3G alternator at the pick-n-pull off a 95 F150 so grabbed it and the wiring. Also got the power steering bracket and Saginaw pump on from an Econoline van. Can someone tell me the part number for the serpentine belt with smog and compressor delete?

SRWillis likes this.

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 AM

Garage
To block the smog ports you need these. I don't know the proper name, but their shape is unmistakable and you can see the slot in the backside.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Reconnecting hoses, wires, and lines. Filling things with fluids. Nothing to write home about or share pics of. I do have some questions about fuel if anyone can help me out. This stock tank is massive at 33 gallons so I am looking to replace it with a flat 19 gallon tank from a F series truck. Will this bolt up without issue? Any better options? I didn't want to mount a fuel cell inside the back.

I don't have a mechnical fuel pump since this was an EFI engine. What will I need to get the right fuel pressure to the carb?

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:16 AM

Bronco Info: '84 body, '94 roller 351w, '89 dash, head to tail harness and ECU. hydroboost and (soon) OBA
I have the 300 i6 that I swapped out just sitting in my garage. It will be there for another week or two and I would totally send bits off it for just the postage to a member, before I take it to the yard. I also have the i6 perches, nice to know they're worth a bob or two.

For the fuel system, maybe as that tank is an older one with the 2" aperture, you could get the earlier style 2" pickup intended for carbureted engines using mechanical fuel pumps, which only have a hose barb and fuel level sender, and use that with a low-ish pressure electric pump inline, strapped to the frame rail?

Alternatively early EFI trucks kept with the 2" opening, and had the small lift pump to feed an electric pump on the frame rail, would that alone be enough to feed a carb?

I cant speak to an f-series tank bolting up, but the 33 gal tank seems like a great idea to me, why don't you love it? The bronco tanks mount with straps above and the skid plate below, so if installing a non-original one you would likely need to replace the skidplate with a custom one or straps?
SRWillis likes this.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt ingram View Post
I have the 300 i6 that I swapped out just sitting in my garage. It will be there for another week or two and I would totally send bits off it for just the postage to a member, before I take it to the yard. I also have the i6 perches, nice to know they're worth a bob or two.

For the fuel system, maybe as that tank is an older one with the 2" aperture, you could get the earlier style 2" pickup intended for carbureted engines using mechanical fuel pumps, which only have a hose barb and fuel level sender, and use that with a low-ish pressure electric pump inline, strapped to the frame rail?

Alternatively early EFI trucks kept with the 2" opening, and had the small lift pump to feed an electric pump on the frame rail, would that alone be enough to feed a carb?

I cant speak to an f-series tank bolting up, but the 33 gal tank seems like a great idea to me, why don't you love it? The bronco tanks mount with straps above and the skid plate below, so if installing a non-original one you would likely need to replace the skidplate with a custom one or straps?
I'm interested in your perches, did they come out of your 88? What year is your 300?

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Update!!! I got this Bronco running and driving, then recently had exhaust installed. I've driven it some around the house and down the road and back. Time for me to post some photos and details!
SRWillis and cdmck like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode