96 Build - Page 11 - Ford Bronco Forum
 925Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 554 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
Cobra Joe like Old School!

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:27 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT, Green and White, 5.8
Garage
Great looking truck! Subbed for inspiration.

Wide-eyed newbie stumbling into the world of project trucks and off-roading.
post #203 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Well, I couldn't be anymore pissed off than what I am know. Those of you that know me, know that I try not to cut any corners and do things the "right" way and with "quality" parts. Well, year before last, when I built the Dana 44 TTB for my 93, I purchased RCV axles, Richmond gears and a Detroit Truetrac Differential, all new. I replaced all the bearings, seals, ball joints, etc... to the tune of about 3K, not including my labor. I pulled all of this out of my 93 , cleaned it up and installed it in my 96. I even went as far as to throw some plating and gussets on the housing to beef it up. So, Thursday the forecast is for a blizzard, 13"-18" of snow with 65-75 mph winds. When I get up at 4:30 it's just starting to rain, like they predicted and changing over to snow at around 6-7 am. I walk outside to the garage and the driveway is a sheet of ice. I put the Bronco in 4WD and head off to work. When I get to the highway, they are salted and clear so I slide the transfer case forward into 2WD and drive the 5 miles to work. As I am getting of the exit, I hear a tic, tic, tic noise from the right front, you know, like when a hub doesn't completely unlock, no biggie, I stop, backup, and the noise goes away. I pull into the parking lot at work and head in. Fast forward 12 hours and we have 10+ inches of snow on the ground and bitterly cold winds freezing everything. I start the truck and clear all the snow off it and pull the T case into 4wd and proceed to head out....or not. The detroit locker in the rear has both tires spinning with nothing in the front. Not a bang, snap, boom, or grinding noise, nuttin. I leave it in gear because the truck isn't moving and hop out; I see the back wheel turning, the front drive shaft turning, the passenger axle spinning but nothing on the drivers side. I put it in park and play with the hubs with the transfer case in 2WD and rotate the driveshaft, again, with the passenger side locked in & the drivers side unlocked, I cant spin it. When I reverse the procedure, I can turn the driveshaft but the the drivers axle shaft does nothing. I can spin it by hand, no load on it whatsoever. I make it home and call a buddy to plow for me and after a couple of hours of shoveling I GOOGLE D44 Front Detroit Truetrac Differential not working and find a lot of people having issues.

Long story short, apparently after a while the bolts are backing out and destroying the units.
Here are a few pics of what I found:

On top of all this, they claim EATON is doing nothing about this. It's -20F with the wind chill here today and even colder tomorrow but it is supposed to be in the 30's Tuesday so maybe I can get this thing thawed out and apart this week. I just hope it hasn't wiped out the housing. I swear to God, sometimes I think I just can't win; you try to build things so they are somewhat bullet proof..... $%*&@

I can't afford to spend $800-1000 so I ordered a $190 open diff for the time being and some bearings, lets hope the rest isn't trashed. Oh yeah, I get to do this all over again next spring when I do my cut-n-turn, 5:38's and now..... probably a Detroit Locker.
BroncoJoe96 likes this.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:25 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco 348 10.5.1 E7 Ported 88 Gt roller cam retarted 5 Shorty Headers 3" after cats
I feel your pain. Most of all my repairs this winter has been replacing the fixes that I did last year or so. Parts and workman ship SUCK$ now days
BikerPepe` and cobrajoe like this.
post #205 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:59 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
Yep. I'm right there with ya man. I've been killin' myself with plowing problems and when I've almost (not fully) got that fixed, now the truck is giving me hell. I'm about sick to f#$(&'in death of being murphy's bitch too man. It could be worse... it could always be worse but... keep telling myself that.

Hang in there brother. It's just a bad winter. Obviously... you are not alone.
cobrajoe likes this.
post #206 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 04:19 AM
Chillin on the Gulf Coast

Bronco Info: Blue 89' EB 5.0, E4OD, OBDII, Mass Air, Saginaw, Hydroboost, 3G alt
Ouch. So does that ruin your LSD or just the housing? Sucks either way. Only suggestion I have is if the LSD is still good, then drill and safety wire the bolts.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
cobrajoe likes this.

μολὼν λαβέ
Build the best you can with what you have to work with. Quality parts and quality installation is where it all starts.
"It is idle to say that combinations of old elements cannot be inventions; substantially every invention is for such a 'combination': that is to say, it consists of former elements in a new assemblage."
Supermotors
post #207 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 07:55 AM

Bronco Info: 86 XLT 351 HO, Holley 650, 3" Exhaust, 6L Up, 265/75R16 Dirt Commanders, & 85 302 EFI, AOD, 6L Up
Garage
Have you driven on icy roads with a front locker before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When you have to shoot, shoot - don't talk.
https://binged.it/2LnJaeA
post #208 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggum View Post
Have you driven on icy roads with a front locker before?

Yes, the setup was in my 93 for the past two years and I was actually very impressed with setup..........until now.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #209 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1988 5.0L E/B AOD, bone stock+ 1993 5.8L E/B, E4OD, 4"lift with 33's
That's not good! Specially with the weather! I was going to suggest Red Locktite, but you can't beat safety wire! Either way, best of luck. Brian
cobrajoe likes this.
post #210 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Bronco Info: 86 XLT 351 HO, Holley 650, 3" Exhaust, 6L Up, 265/75R16 Dirt Commanders, & 85 302 EFI, AOD, 6L Up
Garage
Well thatís a bummer for sure. Good luck with the fix.

cobrajoe likes this.

When you have to shoot, shoot - don't talk.
https://binged.it/2LnJaeA
post #211 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:48 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0L Automatic Bronco XLT
I feel your pain man. I just blew the spiders out of my Yukon LSD in my 8.8 a few months back. I was pretty annoyed. It only had like 15k miles on it.
cobrajoe likes this.

Built not Bought
post #212 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Well, here's the deal: just got back from the shop; the forecast for today was a high of 38*, so at 05:30, I pulled the BKO out of the garage and headed to work, hoping that the MILD ( ) temps would allow it to thaw out a bit. Got home at 15:20 and drove it to the shop and removed the plow. Put her up on the lift and chipped the remaining blocks of ice of the front suspension and gave her a once over. Put a couple of dead men under the axle and got the front wheels off the ground then pulled it into 4 high and rotated the drive shaft, hmmmm.......Passenger side was spining but the tire wasn't. Chipped into the ice stuck in the hollow of the housing and noticed the axle had pulled out of the RCV CV joint. Cleaned it up with some brake clean and the splines seemed OK. Pried the boot off and found the C-clip had broken and the axle had slipped out of the CV. Looked around the shop and found an extra C-clip, put it all back together, and, voila! We have 4WD!! Drove it outside onto the ice and all 4 tires spin. I'm going to try and be humble so I don't jinx myself, but thank GOD!, this was the easiest, cheapest fix I have ever done. Finger crossed!

MY BUILD THREAD
post #213 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD, 33" tires, detroit locker rear & true trac fro
Glad to hear this, I have a true trac in the front of mine too. They are supposed to be fairly tough. Hopefully this is your only issue.

tim
cobrajoe likes this.
post #214 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1988 5.0L E/B AOD, bone stock+ 1993 5.8L E/B, E4OD, 4"lift with 33's
Love it when things work out like that!
cobrajoe likes this.
post #215 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 12:32 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
well some folks just have all the luck huh?

glad you're back up and rocking it bud. nice to know it was a simple fix and you even had a spare C-clip, ready to go.
post #216 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco XLT, Auto, 4x4, 351M
Beautiful bronco man, good work!
cobrajoe likes this.
post #217 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Thank you @TXBronco42 and welcome to the forum; I feel honored to be your first post.

TXBronco42

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco XLT, Auto, 4x4, 351M
TXBronco42 likes this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #218 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:43 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 5.0L 4x4 carb'd
Garage
Hey COBRAJOE, I do have a question. I have been following this thread ever since I joined Full Size Bronco Forum; I noticed that you swapped out the Ford 8.8 for the Ford 9" . May I ask why? I have always been swear'ed to that the 8.8 is as strong as the 9". Thanks!

Ford 1989 Bronco 5.0L
4 Inch Suspension lift
35" tires
post #219 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Mostly because I'm an old school guy. IMO the 9" is a stronger unit. On a nine inch, both ends of the pinion are supported, (there is a bearing on each end) and the pinion gear engages the ring gear lower than the 8.8 . This means that 2 pinion gear-teeth are meshed with the ring gear at all times. The 9" axles bolt in on the backing plate, thus eliminating the C-clip, so if you break an axle, it doesn't walk out, it stays in the housing. I also like the ease of setting up a 9" on the bench, rather than in the housing. It is also possible to have several center sections setup allowing gear quick gear changes, although this does nothing on a 4wd, but at the track, a gear change could be done rather quickly. I also like being able to run the stronger Nodular iron case and the housings on the 9" are a lot beefier than the 8.8. I also think setting up the 9" is easier, no assembly and disassembly to set the the back lash, just a simple turn of a spanner wrench. Same goes for pinion depth, no pressing the bearing on and off to add/remove a shim, just pull the bolts and remove the assembly and add/remove your shims.
I also was able to go to 35 spline axles.
Just my $0.02
TS 90F150 likes this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #220 of 554 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:03 PM

I really enjoyed reading this build thread. Sharp looking rig. I'm pretty jealous of the $3500 initial purchase price. The fabrication work is very impressive. The cobra pictures are an added bonus to this thread.
cobrajoe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Tags
ttb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode