96 Build - Page 23 - Ford Bronco Forum
 930Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #441 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:55 AM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajoe View Post
It's a 35" so it definitely would be a better choice with the 37"s I run in the winter. I don't want to hang anything bigger back there. The 35 can do a pretty good job of destroying the tailgate over time. I'd like to remove it someday if I replace the gate; at that point I could weld up the quarter and paint the two panels, but that's a long ways away.
I was just curious if you had to use it like that with three 44's.

When I first met my wife my father-in-law owned an 80's Chevy shortbed 4x4 lifted super high on huge tires like that and I remember her telling me about a day when he got a flat on one of the rear tires and he slowly ended up looking at the sky as he was driving, because he didn't know it was rapidly going flat.

I agree a 35 is a bit much. That's what I have on my carrier. According to the Mickey Thompson website my wheel and tire combo is 77 lbs. I need to tighten up my latch/striker clearance to minimize how much the tire jiggles around and pulls on the tailgate. I really like the look of the factory carrier, but someday I'd like to remove it and incorporate a carrier into a custom bumper.

You've definitely got a very nice Bronco! That might be an understatement.
cobrajoe likes this.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #442 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Addicted to Junk

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
The first gen spare tire carriers WILL NOT hold up to a trip to moab with a 10 ply 37" tire on it... speaking from experience lol.

The later models that the tire actually bolts too is significantly stronger.
cobrajoe likes this.

309ci inline 6, 9.75:1 CR, Big Valves, ROLLER ROCKERS, Clifford intake and headers, Schneider 140H cam, DUI HEI ignition, 450 QFT 4bbl carb, Saginaw swap, FlowKooler water pump, Steel timing gears, 2.5in y-pipe into a single 3in cat and borla muffler.
post #443 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doosenberry View Post
I was just curious if you had to use it like that with three 44's.

When I first met my wife my father-in-law owned an 80's Chevy shortbed 4x4 lifted super high on huge tires like that and I remember her telling me about a day when he got a flat on one of the rear tires and he slowly ended up looking at the sky as he was driving, because he didn't know it was rapidly going flat.

I agree a 35 is a bit much. That's what I have on my carrier. According to the Mickey Thompson website my wheel and tire combo is 77 lbs. I need to tighten up my latch/striker clearance to minimize how much the tire jiggles around and pulls on the tailgate. I really like the look of the factory carrier, but someday I'd like to remove it and incorporate a carrier into a custom bumper.

You've definitely got a very nice Bronco! That might be an understatement.
Funny thing about the 44's, as they loose air, they just get smaller in size, until they run out then they get ugly.

I had a spare 40" on the back of my '74 when I had these 44's on it and it destroyed it over time. That's why I stayed with the 35".( well that and the fact that I had bought a matching tire and wheel when I ran 35's.)
I have no bumper, so unless I went under the roll pan and up, it's not really an option, personally, I might just do away with it altogether and just call Triple A.

Also, thanks for the kind words, it's much appreciated. I'm gonna be 60 and I still can climb up in it, so I'll keep it for awhile.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #444 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:23 PM
Addicted to Junk

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Consider the style of carrier on @Shadofax whom is being stabled by @wileec now.

It's a dual pivot, mounted on the center of the bumper and folds down, rather than out. Could be integrated easier than a swing out with your roll pan.

309ci inline 6, 9.75:1 CR, Big Valves, ROLLER ROCKERS, Clifford intake and headers, Schneider 140H cam, DUI HEI ignition, 450 QFT 4bbl carb, Saginaw swap, FlowKooler water pump, Steel timing gears, 2.5in y-pipe into a single 3in cat and borla muffler.

Last edited by BigBlue 94; 06-04-2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot
post #445 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
Consider the style of carrier on @Shadow fax whom is being stabled by @wileec now.

It's a dual pivot, mounted on the center of the bumper and folds down, rather than up. Could be integrated easier than a swing out with your roll pan.
I started into the FSB invasion thread linking back through @wileec posts and tried to find some pics no luck. I must say, pretty cool thread and can't believe i missed it, definitely want to catch up on it. Anyways, if you have some pics, I'm interested.
Thanks Bud.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #446 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Addicted to Junk

Garage
I can do ya one better... a build thread!

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...e-carrier.html

Which invasion thread did you see? Theres the main planning type one and then a few trip reports in the same named section.
youngDUMP likes this.

post #447 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
I can do ya one better... a build thread!

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...e-carrier.html

Which invasion thread did you see? Theres the main planning type one and then a few trip reports in the same named section.
Thanks Bud, you are the man!

This one: FSB Invasion 2019

BigBlue 94 likes this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #448 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Well, I paid up all my bills from the front end project and ordered these for the Currie 9" rear: Yukon Gear 5:43 Ring And Pinion Gear as well as a shim kit. Hope to get the back end torn apart next week and that'll probably do it for the time being.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #449 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

More presents came in the mail today:

Once the shim kit comes in, I'll get 'em installed and @BikerPepe` will be one day closer to the trade....

MY BUILD THREAD
post #450 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:48 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
post #451 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Got home and this was on my desk, wasn't supposed to be here until next Tuesday. ....hhhmmmm, guess I'll start pulling it apart tomorrow.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #452 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:46 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208, Detroit Truetracs front and rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajoe View Post
....hhhmmmm, guess I'll start pulling it apart tomorrow.
Better get on 'er and get it done right too!

@BikerPepe` is gettin' anxious
cobrajoe and CDA 455 like this.

My 81's Road to Road-Worthiness

"Gun Control is not just about guns, it's about Control. The Second Amendment is not just about guns, it's about Liberty." Stan Willis (me)
post #453 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRWillis View Post
Better get on 'er and get it done right too!

@BikerPepe` is gettin' anxious
I'll try and document as many steps as my patience allow me to at my miserable old age( according to the Mrs.; P.S. My Mrs., not yours). Hopefully it will help someone who wants to attempt a 9", but I'm guessing, there aren't many people who feel the nine is an upgrade anymore. (HELL yeah, it is)

MY BUILD THREAD
post #454 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Okay, first thing, drain the fluid, having a drain plug makes this easy...

Then I got the wheels off and pulled the drums. I removed all the brake components because I'm going to do the brakes while I'm in here.

Now rotate the axle until the hole is over one of the reatiner nuts;

..and remove the 4 retaining nuts with a 9/16's deep socket:

Now you can buy or rent a puller to remove the axles, but if you flip the brake drum over and install three lug nuts onto the studs for a couple or three turns so they leave thread exposed....

you can use the drum as slide hammer.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #455 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Pull the axle and check the bearing, seal and the spline end. I have actually twisted these splines on stock axles.
These 35 spline axles look good

Once the axles are out, you can start to remove the center section.

CDA 455 and Doosenberry like this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #456 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

..and then remove the third member. You may have to use a couple of screwdrivers to pry it off the studs and Voila!

Everything looks nice and clean inside the housing, always a good sign

MY BUILD THREAD
post #457 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

I moved it over to the bench and marked/stamped my caps and housing so they don't get mixed up

Removed the adjuster locks

and then the cap bolts

MY BUILD THREAD
post #458 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Pull the caps and adjusters and races and keep them separate so you don't mix up the races

and then remove the carrier

MY BUILD THREAD
post #459 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Stand it up on end and remove the ring gear bolts. I like to leave a couple in fairly loose so I can remove the ring gear without it slamming onto the bench

and then give it a few taps all the way around until the bolts are flush with the carrier and then remove the bolts

...and the gear will come off.

In the old days you would have had to put a threaded rod with fender washers through the center of the Detroit Locker to hold it together before you took the ring gear off. The bolts from the gear actually held the two pieces together. Today they are bolted together making life much easier.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #460 of 564 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Make sure the face is clean before you install the new ring gear. If there are any burs on the face, hit them with a file, your surface needs to be flat and smooth.

Slide the new ring gear on evenly and use the old bolts to pull it on. Be sure to go in a cross pattern and go a little at a time so you pull it on evenly

Once it's completely on, remove the old bolts...

..and apply loctite to the new bolts and install them

Torque them to 85 ft. lbs

You can really see how thick the 5:43 ring gear is compared to the 4:11's

MY BUILD THREAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Tags
ttb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode