96 Build - Page 8 - Ford Bronco Forum
 930Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
Thank you, very much appreciated. It's been a L-O-N-G trip, but I'm getting closer to the end.
I need to layout and drill the holes for the front plate today and then I can pull it back off so I can get it ready for paint. The finish color is going to be the same color as the truck, I think that will "tone it down" some and take some of the bulkiness out of it .
I need to mount the visor, but I am going to have to buff out the roof first as it's a little faded and I don't want to do it after I drill holes in it and tear up my pads. Once it's mounted , I'll pull it outside and get some side and angle shots for you as last night it was too dark already.
Then I'll pull everything off and get it ready to paint.
I still need to do all the plow wiring and controls yet.
BikerPepe` and cjwchoppers like this.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Well because it was a late night, I brought the 'ole girl home rather than take her back to the shop. I must say, it was a tight fit:

Anyways....here's the side profile shots you inquired about Pepe'; decide for yourself and let me know your thoughts. Believe it or not, I took a lot of that into consideration; that's why I went with a tapered look, kinda easing my way into the transformation, if you know what I mean:

I know this "look" isn't for a lot of you, especially the younger guys, but this is what I grew up with, especially when 4wd was in it's infancy. We built a lot of this stuff ourselves because nobody made it, you had Dick Cepek and that was about it, ( my first vehicle was a 1966 Bronco ) and bigger was always better! I started with Formula Desert Dog's ( anybody here remember them? GREAT tire! I'll post a pic at the end...) Then I went through the whole cycle of Gateway GUMBO Monster Mudders, (no one else made BIG tires back then) 35's, 38's ( when they came out, nobody said they could fit them; I remember Cepek's ad saying "just keep cutting and lifting until you can fit them) 40's and then these 44's, believe it or not, these tires and rims are over 35 years old.

38's

40's on the 15" x 10" 's

44's before the 15" x 15" Weld Wheels

Anybody remeber these? PCV's ( Pickup's, camper's and van's)

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD

Last edited by cobrajoe; 12-26-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: add pics
post #143 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD, 33" tires, detroit locker rear & true trac fro
LOL, I grew up with the same give or take a few years and things. The look is great. Too big to be practical, you know what every young person likes, or did back then.

I'd trade the mudders for some TSL and I'd be all set!

The bumper looks good. If I understand your posts correctly you plan to paint it body color (which is what I thought last night when I saw the "test fit" photos). I think body color will look good. That is a very pretty color. I considered briefly matching the body color to the bumper in both colors. Where the tan would be height wise on the Bronco could be on the bumper and then the other body color to finish it off. I didn't think about it very long and acknowledged to myself last night that it could be too much?

tim
cobrajoe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Tim, I really have to say, as I was building it, I thought; WTF am I thinking???, I'm not a kid anymore, but I've got to tell you, this thing is an absolute f^^%*% ball to drive and the reaction from people around here makes it all worth while. Everyone absolutely loves it, practical or not.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #145 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD, 33" tires, detroit locker rear & true trac fro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajoe View Post
Tim, I really have to say, as I was building it, I thought; WTF am I thinking???, I'm not a kid anymore, but I've got to tell you, this thing is an absolute f^^%*% ball to drive and the reaction from people around here makes it all worth while. Everyone absolutely loves it, practical or not.

LOL, my "toy" is only on 33"s. I will confess, I like driving it more than my Cobra (Mustang, not the kind you bulit) that I don't even plan to many mods for lately.

As long as all your family type obligations, real world financial obligations are taken care of, enjoy this. Lots of people don't get to relive anything. I fortunately, (and suspect you did too) lived my youth to the fullest, too full most of the time. But it gives me an appreciation for things from it. Like your Bronco, my F150, even my Cobra. lol

No, you aint a kid anymore, you are a full grown man that can afford his toys. ENJOY!!!

tim
cobrajoe and Rusty in Wis like this.
post #146 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 01:25 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
well it does look a hell of a lot better than I expected on the profile. you really did a nice, smooth job with that bumper man.
I dig the rig. Haven't seen one around here that big and that clean since Oscar was running amok and I can assure you, that is high praise indeed.

growing up in the 70's... I can totally appreciate where you're coming from. enjoy it for all it's worth!
BigBlue 94, cobrajoe and SRWillis like this.
post #147 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 09:48 AM

Bronco Info: 1993 EB 5.8, eaod on 35"km2's 4" BDS lift. stock cats with glass pack muffler, axle code H9.
i for one can relate and love it. You can see on here somewhere my old 79 rebuild (FSBOTM winner) few years back and the complete build.

I grew up in N. Central Ma with Jackman wheels and Armstrong Truetracs! Also Desert dogs etc. I am very surprised you can drive that in Ma without getting pulled all the time.

keep up the good work.

As for painting the bumpers, i painted mine on my 2010 FJ the body color and this day get complements.
cobrajoe likes this.

current Bronco 1993
post #148 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

I know I haven't updated this much, but I've been doing boring crap; plow controls and wiring stuff...BUT! I did manage to get some fun stuff done this week too. Flares and visor fitted, mounted and painted!

Hope to get the bodywork done and the bumper painted this week; might be 'tuff; Archery opens Monday...

MY BUILD THREAD
post #149 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 12:39 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
man... I do some plowing out here in the sticks and I gotta tell ya... that seems like a damn shame to put a plow setup on the beautiful Bronco.

I assume you'll be plowing for yourself and some off jobs, not hard core use? maybe you just stick with simple parking lot jobs? do you imagine you'll have enough weight to effectively push the heavy stuff? I always get that late season moron who expects me to be able to bust out a 3ft. deep driveway I've never drive through or even seen.

are you setting up a warning light system? what do you have in mind? a top bar like my rig has would look pretty bad-ass on top but it would be pretty high up there.

don't scrimp on the plow details man. I've played around quite a bit over the last few years with my 7.5 ft., 1980's Western Plow.

Flares and Visor looks great. You using LED's or regular setup? I've still got one sanded and ready to paint, out in the now... very cold shop.
post #150 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Plow is a 7.5 Fisher minute Mount II from my old truck. I no longer do commercial accounts after 40+ years, gave that up two years ago when I changed my "occupation" after 40 years. My road and driveway, a couple of the neighbors driveways as well as my dad's house, is all I do these days.
I have always liked the short wheelbase of the Bronco's to get in to the small spots that pickups can't, it gave me a niche in the market. If we ever got a blizzard or major snow storm, I have a few 18" I-beams that are cut into 1 foot increments that I load in the back to help in the traction department.
I do have the strobe light bar from the '93 set up on a ski rack but it isn't going to fit in my garage.

I'm probably going to run the 37's for the winter so I don't ruin these wheels and to also give the drive train a little break, but I doubt it will fit in the garage with the light bar.

BikerPepe` and I6-Kid like this.

MY BUILD THREAD

Last edited by cobrajoe; 10-15-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo
post #151 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Okay, so I finished up all the wiring, controls, etc... today and was able to get the blade on the truck:

Then I hit the controls and was amazed; everything worked and the truck didn't squat thanks to the airbags;

The angle is good thanks to the work done on the A-frame:

I made up this mount for the control so I could lay my arm on the armrest and work the control with my left hand:

I flipped it over for two reasons:

First was that I couldn't get used to the control operating different than any other hydraulic equipment; normally you would pull back to lift and push forward to lower. Fisher originally mounted these on the vertical lower face of the dash so it probably made more sense there.

Secondly, I couldn't turn off the Red light for the power .

I simply swapped the two hoses on the pump for left and right power angle and all back to normal.
BikerPepe`, lugnut1009 and bmad01 like this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #152 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:07 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
interesting solution. I hate that reversed up/down stuff too. I really like the top curl on your Fisher blade. I do really like the Western Plow control/joystick though. I've gotten so used to it but I have the C6 "on the tree" and my right hand just naturally falls to it after shifting Forward / Reverse. That left right swap would mess me up for a good week or more. Your work on the plow inspired me to deal with some things on the F250 today. I'd like to slap you for that.
cobrajoe likes this.

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 10-16-2017 at 01:09 AM.
post #153 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

I got used to using my left hand to plow early in life; started plowing with a standard shift with a push pull rod through the dash, than switched to an electric/hydraulic motor between the seats which was a real PITA with a standard.
And whats with the ?
I thought you and me, were like; me and you? Apparently, we're not even us anymore.
BikerPepe` likes this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #154 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 AM

Bronco Info: 1993 EB 5.8, eaod on 35"km2's 4" BDS lift. stock cats with glass pack muffler, axle code H9.
last time i had a plow truck and actually plowed snow it was a Dodge w200 and a Meyers plow. as you say a rod through the dash etc. never seen these electric over hydro ones???
cobrajoe likes this.

current Bronco 1993
post #155 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Retired Staff

Garage
post #156 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:02 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0L Automatic Bronco XLT
I love the look of this truck. It's got that retro feel and I dig it.
BikerPepe` and cobrajoe like this.

Built not Bought
post #157 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoJoe96 View Post
I love the look of this truck. It's got that retro feel and I dig it.
Thanks @BroncoJoe96 , at my age retro aka "old school" is all I know!
BroncoJoe96 likes this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #158 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

Finally got the bumper done. Just need to get some lights and a plate frame.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #159 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 02:52 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
post #160 of 564 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Ford-a-Holic

I went to the shop this morning to install the clear lenses for the Lund visor; didn't really like the way the looked so I scuffed the inside of them and painted them black:

lugnut1009 likes this.

MY BUILD THREAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Tags
ttb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode