Scoop's 1978 Custom Build - Part Deux - Ford Bronco Forum
 166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
Scoop's 1978 Custom Build - Part Deux

OK, after the Photobucket fiasco I am going to start a new build thread to finish this Bronco up! I will be using a new hosting site (my Club's website!) so linking to a third party website (FSB) will not be a problem. And won't cost me $400 per year! LOL

To recap just a bit . . . Here is my '78 Custom when I first got it in 2008 from the second owner in Newport News, VA. Lots of rust.

I was able to get engine done (I call it a 410M with Mustang EFI), most of the rust repaired and the exterior in primer for the 2012 Super Celebration in Townsend, TN.

I was lucky enough to win FOTM for September '12. This pic is from Medano Pass, CO taken during the contest.

I then got the interior in somewhat better shape (used carpet set in good condition, dash pad, steering wheel, Sony head unit and new speakers, etc.

That's pretty much how it's been for several years now. I've been driving and enjoying it while I've been doing some other projects (like my '84 Bronco!). But I'm about to start in on it again . . .

More to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
The plan is to make it look like "The Mule" - the 78 mock up of the Bronco, but with some restomod upgrades. Kind of a tribute to but not exact copy!

My 78 came from the factory very close to this originally. Same yellow, round headlights, painted black bumpers, jackman style white wagon wheels, etc. Main difference is that mine came with a black top and the body was solid yellow instead of the white tu-tone on the Mule. So right now I'm leaning towards the Mule's paint scheme but in yellow and black.

I've added the Cactus Smasher but need to get some lights to look like the rectangular driving lights on the Mule. I want some square or rectangular LED lights - similar but with a modern twist.

Another "modern touch" is I wanted 17" wheels! I searched for 17" white spoke wagon wheels and could not find any. So I got 4 Black Rock Type D in 17" and painted them Wimbledon White and drilled the holes for the center caps. My mistake was not getting 5 wheels! I figured I could get the matching spare wheel later. Now that I need one I find out they are all sold drop shipped from the factory and the factory is out of stock on the size I need (17X8 with 4 1/2" backspacing) and won't be making another run of them for 2-3 months! So off to the junk yard to get another wheel that will work as a spare. I finally found a Dodge spare tire wheel in 17X7 1/2 with about 5" back spacing. I had to enlarge the center hole to go over the front hubs. I used a 3 5/8 hole saw which worked well. Since it's a spare I'm not trying to match the wheels - just want it to work!

Here's how it looks now. It's going to need some body work before paint - repair driver's side rear quarter and some minor rust that has shown up through the primer. I'm hoping to get the work done and paint it in time for the Super Celebration in April next year.

post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Here is the spare mounted and installed on the interior tire mount.

First time since I've had this Bronco that it's had 5 matching NEW tires! They are BFG Muds (KM1s?) in a 32" equivalent metric size. They are actually about 1/2" inch taller but about 1" narrower than the 33X12.50R15s that were on it before. It rides very smooth with these tires. Best it's ever driven. They are new Jeep Rubicon take-offs.
BikerPepe`, SRWillis and Fazfamily like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 10:51 AM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
So excited for this. Always fun to watch you work, Scoop. That wheel looks like it came from the factory with that center hole!
Scoop likes this.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Looks good Gary
Scoop likes this.

Rick
"Left for Dead"
Filly

[email protected] (also on facebook)
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Thanks guys! I've got a couple things to finish up on my trail rig (ram assist install and new Painless wiring harness) before I seriously jump in on the '78. But these new tires really made it drive much better than it ever has! I almost hate to tear into it where I can't drive it for a while!
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
OK, I got most everything done to my trail rig and I'm starting back in on the 78. You'll either love this or hate it! I got an LED headlight set and installed them tonight. They have a black background and really look different than the stock headlights. I'm digging them but will understand if some of you do not!

Here's what the new light look like.

Here are the original high beams.

This is with one new LED bulb installed, still on high beam.

This the high beam pattern on the garage door, one side new, the other old.

This is a side view low beams. It's hard to tell from the glare but the low beams are 5 horizontal LEDs and it looks pretty cool!

As you can see, BIG difference. They are just plugged into the stock wiring right now but I have a headlight relay harness I will be installing.

I also have a couple of 4" rectangular LED driving lights I will be installing on the Cactus Smasher, but I need to weld on some tabs first.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 11:28 AM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
LED headlights are awesome. Had em in a few vehicles now. I think they look good on there, and im sure you enjoy all that extra light they produce!

88bronco: web / FSB || 96 bronco: web / FSB || 96 F250: web / FSB
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Be interesting to see if the harness helps as much with LED headlights. Nice looking 78
Fazfamily likes this.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
Be interesting to see if the harness helps as much with LED headlights. Nice looking 78
Just by going from stock wiring to a relay added over 3 volts(almost 4) to my headlights. Even with keeping the 6 dollar sylvanias, the difference was pretty incredible.

Posted while doing 60 MPH and staring at my crotch thanks to Tapatalk

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
I got new the rear window upper felt weather stripping in yesterday - now the rear window goes up and down without catching on a broken and hardened piece of the weather stripping! Putting in the new rubber piece was easy but taking out the old was a real pain - had to chisel it out with a sharpened blade screw driver one chunk at at time.
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
I'm headed to Houston on Friday and towing my '74 Bronco with the '78. Good motivation to get a brake controller installed on the '78! So that's what I did today.

I installed a Prodigy controller and mounted it under the dash.

And I installed a 7 pin receptical on the receiver hitch. It hang lower than I like but tho only way to get it higher is to mount it in the bumper. Not sure I want to do that.

Also I was able to get the headlight relay harness installed. But I didn't get a chance to test it out at night to see if it makes a difference with the LED bulbs.
Fazfamily likes this.
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
I've been living with a tick in my engine since I rebuilt it. A small one but I always assumed it was a lifter that never fully pumped up. Fearing I would need to pull the heads or even the engine, I ignored it. It never got worse and the engine seemed to run fine. Well it started bothering me lately and I decided to look into it before I pull a trailer on a 400 mile round trip!

I got out my good old sonic listening device (a big 3 foot long screw driver) and tried to pinpoint where in the engine it was coming from. I eliminated the passenger side bank of pistons quickly. It was definitely coming from the driver's side. But it seemed to be higher up on the engine than what I was expecting. It was loudest on the aluminum valve cover. I took off the valve cover - that was a pita getting to the top rear bolt!! - and sure enough one of the #8 piston valve springs was hitting the valve cover making this mark:

A little clearancing and the tick should be gone!
Fazfamily likes this.
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Coming to Houston on Friday? What's up? Would love to lay eyes on these Bronco's.
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
PM sent.

OK it's running good and should be set for the the trip - oil changed, fluids topped, trailer brakes work, all lights on the trailer working. I got a chance to check out the LED headlights a bit more. I left one side on the harness and put the other side back on the stock wiring plug. I could not tell any difference in the brightness of the the harness vs. stock. I did have to adjust the lights down some. They are much brighter than the halogens I was running before so they needed to point down more in order to not blind oncoming traffic with the low beams! Oh yeah, the tick did go away!
Fazfamily likes this.
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Thank you on the LED lights. I have some in my 78 as well and thought that the harness may not do much assuming that the LED's get enough voltage to operate.
Also I like that your using yours to do work, keep up cool build.
Those prodigy p2's are nice, will only run that one or the P3 in any of my truck. The boost feature I find comes in very handy on something with a wheelbase like a bronco
Fazfamily likes this.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
Thank you on the LED lights. I have some in my 78 as well and thought that the harness may not do much assuming that the LED's get enough voltage to operate.
Also I like that your using yours to do work, keep up cool build.
Those prodigy p2's are nice, will only run that one or the P3 in any of my truck. The boost feature I find comes in very handy on something with a wheelbase like a bronco
I think the LEDs use a lot less power to operate so the harness does not affect brightness to the point of being able to notice it. It still gives them a cleaner power source than if the electricity ran through the headlight and dimmer switches. Not sure I would spend $75-$100 for a new harness for the LED lights, but I had a harness I took off my trail rig that I rarely drive it night so I figured I'd use it here.

I wired the Prodigy directly off the battery and it really works well. I need to read up on the boost feature.
Fazfamily likes this.
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 02:01 PM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Glad to hear the LED headlights are working out for ya.

I have the same Prodigy brake controller in the diesel. Works great. The boost feature is awesome, cuz i can dial in the brakes to apply the way i like, and then just turn up the boost depending on how heavy of a load im carrying. Wish i bought this brake controller years earlier.
Fazfamily likes this.

88bronco: web / FSB || 96 bronco: web / FSB || 96 F250: web / FSB
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Well we made the trip to Houston and back. I wish I could say without incident, but I can't! Here's a pic of the 78 ready to go to Houston with the 74 on the trailer.

Let me say the 78 pulled the trailer with the 74 very well. We cruised most of the way at 65-70 mph. And having the trailer brakes working was awesome. No pulling/stopping issues the entire round trip. But here's the glitch! We got to the west side I10 and 610 interchange and the motor lost power ad died. If you know Houston, and I know 79BroncoSpringTx does, you know that the I10 and 610 interchange is not a good place to break down. On a Friday afternoon!! So I managed to get it safely onto the shoulder and checked it out. No fuel pressure. I did a little trouble shooting and could not get it running so we called for a tow. We took it to Lone Star Ford and left it overnight. I came back on Saturday morning fiddled with the fuses and relays and it started up! Turns out it was a bad relay or bad connection on the relay. I replaced the relays and drove it home no problem. But ouch - the tow cost me some coin!!

I pulled the 74 to Houston for a Ford South Texas Sales Region Sales Meeting. They had contacted my Club - Lonestar Early Bronco Club - to arrange for a display of Broncos to get the Dealers enthused and knowledgable about Broncos and Bronco enthusiasts - in anticipation of the new 2020 Bronco. It was a fun event and the Dealers really enjoyed looking at the Broncos. Sorry to say we only had early Broncos there.

Here's a few pics of the event. They gave away a 66 Bronco as the Grand Prize in their Dealer contest.

post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Oh jeez I-10 and 610 on a Friday afternoon? Only the busiest intersection in town. I can't imagine. At least you got her going again. Looks like a fun event.

So what are the dealers saying about the Bronco revival?? Are they excited?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode