So I've got 30 posts now, so I figured it would be best to start a build thread. I don't expect this to be some earth-shattering original build - but from experience - a thread like this will help me keep track of what's been done, what's planned etc etc.
My thread about swapping the 96 engine into the 93:
My first Bronco acquisition was a '96 XL.
It sat in the owner's yard for over 2 years. They were "99% sure" it was the starter. Apparently he drove it to work on morning, it was fine. Went to drive home, and it wouldn't start. They tried a new battery. Nothing. Had it towed and it sat.
As you can see, there is ZERO wheel well rot - which seems to affect just about EVERY Bronco I've run across here in VA.
Interior is even complete and actually in really good shape. No cracks in dash etc. Passenger seat was mint under a cheap seat cover and the driver's seat has a bit of wear.
The truck does have some damage though. The story I got - true or not - is that the previous owner (which after running a Car Fax tells me he was the original owner truck was from TX) was towing a trailer and the trailer kicked around and either hit the truck or the truck drug up against something.
The only spot of rot at all is because of this impact - which happened over 5 years ago - down at the very bottom of the driver's rear 1/4. Small spot a few inches in diameter.
After swapping in a new battery - turns out the solenoid was bad. Jumping it off with a screwdriver caused it to actually fire up and run. I threw in some Stabil to deal with the old gas, but surprisingly the thing runs pretty well - especially for sitting for so long.
Bonus - truck has a legit 120K on it.
So the plan was to start gathering parts and start going through the truck.
Until I ran across this '93 EB
Fairly local to me. Zero rust. Also the only body damage is two dings in the front LH fender and a few scratches.
I scored it - clean title just like the '96 - for a pretty good price too.
Again, super clean wheel wells.
Story on this truck was pretty simple. Current owner (had several project Fords at this place) bought it to swap an engine into. Previous owner had it in a barn. Engine went bad, they pulled the engine and were going to replace it. It sat.
Last inspected in '03.
Undercarriage of this one is actually cleaner than the '96. Interior is dirty but surprisingly in GREAT shape. Power buckets aren't even ripped. Does need the armrests fixed though.
When I called him he had several offers, no one had showed up with the cash. Drove there that night, looked it over, handed him the cash and got the title. Showed up two days later with my buddy's F150 and a Uhaul car trailer (my '84 GMC was down with a busted rear brake line). So of course no engine, my son was wondering how we were going to get it ont he trailer. I decided to go old school.
Backed trailer up to the Bronco and lined the ramps up. Unhooked trailer, tied a tow strap to the F150 and the front crossmember of the Bronco and pulled it up on the trailer. Haven't tried this in years, and it worked a lot easier than I remember.
Maybe 3 miles from where the Bronco was, one of the trailer tires decided to blow out. Luckily these were backroads and I was going maybe 30mph when it went. Luckily found a large pull off, called UHaul and waited.
Hour and half and one new tire / wheel later, we were on our way again. @ 60 mile trip to the house was uneventful.
So now it begins. The plan:
The '96 will donate it's 302, E4OD, manual transfer case and linkage.
The '93 is also missing the radiator / core support, the starting wiring harness / ground harness and the main harness that screws into the junction block under the hood. I plan to hit some local junkyard this weekend or next to see if I can rob a F150 of the needed wiring harnesses and hopefully the radiator / core support and hardware.
I have the upper intake from the '93 along with what looks to be the complete '93 air intake and associated sensors.
I am in the midst of moving into a new place - that has a 2 car detached garage and a 2 car detached shop. There are several house projects that must take priority so likely much won't get done unless it's after dark in the shop or on rainy days etc. At least for the next few weeks - still gotta get my old house on the market and sold too.
Need to "unfreeze" the transfer case linkage on the '96 to make sure that's good to go. Haven't had a chance to crawl under there - I'm thinking it's just from not being used and sitting. One of the manual hubs won't turn either.
Once that's squared away - yank the '96 engine, trans and transfer case. Get the 302 on the stand and start cleaning it up / replacing needed parts / gaskets etc.
I'm leaning towards a compression test before I yank it.
Another project..........just what I needed