Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

79 Driver

12K views 110 replies 20 participants last post by  nedceifus 
#1 ·
Bought this a while back. Just getting it home. 79 XLT, Trailer Special.

Attachments

See less See more
#56 ·
Do you have specific part # you used for the fuel pump setup? Been eyeing one of those style of assemblies, that one fits the stock tank very well, better then I thought it may.
I think one of those with a hydramat the goes end to end would be almost fuel cell-ish but lot easier to install/replace. Be interested to hear how it turns out with that fitech pump assembly.
Also id would be hard for me not to start it as far as long as it is now, cool build.

#57 ·
Just a note here, on my 78 I used a 90 in tank fuel pump/sending unit and changed the pump to handle the efi system i had at the time, i'm still using the same pump/sending unit in the 78 bronco except i changed the pump for a carb instead of efi.
The 90 bronco in tank sender/fuel pump fits in the opening of the 78-90 fuel tanks.

#59 ·
Rear shocks are on the way. Wiring mostly done. Picked up a Bosch tach yesterday. Exhaust getting closer. FOX shocks off a Jeep bolted right up up front. Going to have to fabricate brackets for both sides of the stabilizer shock though. Went with a Griffin radiator with dual electric fans controlled by the Holley Sniper ECU. Power steering pump had been puking everywhere so I ordered a Saginaw setup from WildHorses. Hope to break in the cam this weekend. I was going to run dual FOX’s up front but they do not have a shock that fits the second position. Besides, I did not really want to have to revalve new shocks just for looks. Decided to run a limit strap in the second shock position. Tossing around the idea of putting a ZF5 in it.

Attachments

#66 ·
I also agree, sometimes they make noise when they do it. Not a big deal and I am sure plenty of other things making noise too (like the engine). regardless looks nice.
will be curious to hear how you think it all works together. The Jeep FOX 2.0s look like a good fit.

#68 ·
I was leaning towards the TMeyer pistons but my engine builder wanted to use the Cleveland pistons. I think he was concerned about compression ratio & at the time size selection on the TMeyers was slim. He did deck the block, to what extent I don’t know.

#72 ·
that makes sense, Not having the availability when the motor is torn down at a machine shop seems too throw a pretty big wrench in any sort of progress. Sounds like he must have at least zero decked it which should really help

#69 ·
It runs! Had a little trouble at first setting up the MSD with the Sniper timing control. Finally found the right YouTube video that explained that whole process. Not hard, but very different from what I was used too. I shut it down twice before we ran it all of the way threw it’s paces. It was trying to overheat. Seems to have settled in now. I have not driven it yet. Still need to finish up the exhaust.

#70 ·
BTW, sounds freaking great, fires right up, runs very smooth. Had to put a phaseable rotor on it & went again & added a MSD Blaster 2 coil & some high dollar MSD wires. Sacrificed a distributor cap for the phasing process. Ordered a different thermostat. Need to adjust my fan temps.

Attachments

#71 · (Edited)
Interesting on the rotor phasing, makes sense after looking it up. Good info on that, and mental note to check that if I go the Sniper route like I am planning. Also if the timing was wrong and advanced too far, that could have caused your overheat....

I have read some of the Fords have issues with interference on the sniper and the ignition, will be interested to hear if you run into any issues. The ECM is on the front of the TBI unit and is more prone to getting interference on our engines vs the chevy's.

Thanks for sharing the updates with the system as you install it. I am sure will save some of us some troubles later.

#73 ·
Drained the coolant this morning. Going to swap the thermostat, replace my heater hoses & install a second tempature sender. Also worked on completing the exhaust. 3” tubing is a little tough to snake around shocks, over rearends, around gas tanks & out where I want but it will work. Just going to be a little bit of a jigsaw puzzle.

#76 ·
Exhaust work... Sounds great. I have a little more final welding to do. Dual 2&1/4 into a Flowmaster Y pipe, 3” mandrel bent tubing, Walker Quiet Flow SS muffler.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.