Whippin' the 78 Bronco into shape. - Page 11 - Ford Bronco Forum
 256Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Ok. Alright. Here we go.

Here is the Ram clutch. This is the pressure plate side, the side facing the rear of the Bronco. Notice the shiny nuts.

This is the flywheel side, the side facing the front of the Bronco. Notice the bolt heads with the yellow paint my mechanic placed on them to see what was hitting what when he put it up on the flywheel.

Here is the newly resurfaced flywheel. You can see where the yellow paint is contacting the edge of the flywheel right around the bolts holding the flywheel to the crank. He gave it a slow turn so you can see the bolt heads are just dragging along the edge there.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Here's the old clutch off the Bronco.

This is the pressure plate side. Compared to the Ram clutch, this would be the side with the shiny nuts. Everything on this one is riveted, no bolts.

Flywheel side. Again, no bulky bolt heads to be seen.

Also, another thing to point out is that the Ram clutch uses 8 springs rather than 5. It also looks like because of that that the circle they are in is larger in diameter than the clutch that came off the Bronco. If the springs were in a smaller diameter circle then the bolts would probably be a non-issue as they'd fit within that recess on the flywheel. Everything else in the Ram clutch kit appeared to mirror what came off the Bronco as far as bolt patterns and whatnot.

post #203 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's the old pressure plate. It may be difficult to notice the waviness, but if you look at the reflection of the light on the left side of it then it becomes quite clear how bad it really is. There was a little bit of a lip on the edge of it, which is what made me think of some worn out brake rotors.

And a shot of the NP435/NP205 combo sitting on the hoist waiting to be slid back in. I don't know what the PO(s) did to this Bronco, but absolutely everything is covered in like a nice evenly coated 1/8" of grease and mud, absolutely everything. The only shiny parts are the ones I've replaced or the ones I've taken off and cleaned with a wire wheel. It's a real bummer looking at the underside of it. Some people might say it's just the way old trucks are, but, no, it's not. This one is very different from my others. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:12 AM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
I think they sent you the wrong diameter disc for your application.

Your pressure plate doesn't look as bad as you described, I really expected it to look more like this:

Even the disc looks like normal wear IMO

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #205 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, like I mentioned, it didn't look as bad as I was expecting (based on all the noise I heard and the crazy chattering) nor am I very familiar with manual transmissions and clutches. I know you can't see it in the pics, but the pressure plate had a few hot spots on it on the inner half of it, nothing crazy I suppose, but they were there. The mechanic said the flywheel had some on it as well, but I have to take his word on that.

The good news is the clutch has been replaced, it works, and it works very smoothly with zero chatter. Very nice. I'd actually say the clutch pedal is probably 50% lighter as far as force needed to push the pedal in, which I wasn't expecting.

The bad news is... the clunking I was experiencing is still there! I have no effing clue what it is. Since I took it for spin near my mechanic's shop before going home I went back and talked to him about it. I did a short drive with him in the Bronco around his lot and even took his son for a spin as well (father son independent shop) and neither of them are sure what it is.

I have a bit more investigating to do on it, but I'm pretty sure it does it regardless of whether or not the rear drive shaft is installed and whether or not you are in 2wd or 4wd. It does it whenever you push in the clutch to shift, but it's so inconsistent as far as the severity. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes there's no way you can't hear it. It actually does it very loudly when you're turning sharply, coasting at slow speeds with the clutch pushed in. You can hear something slapping around repeated underneath the transmission hump. I think I might pull the hump cover off and drive it like that around a nearby parking lot to see if I can pin point it. With it not being connected to the rear and everything north of the transmission being in good condition it's gotta be the tranny or transfer case Anyone wanna buy a second gen?

If I can source a good, very cheap (lol) NP435 to rebuild I may attempt to rebuild that at my leisure and see what my luck brings me. For now, until I figure out what it is making the noise, I'll just live with it. It's not quite as bad as it was before the clutch replacement, but man, with everything that was going on I figured it had to be clutch related.

post #206 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I had a modification made. I'll probably swap out the oil pan style plug that's in it later on and put a flush mount plug in its place, perhaps magnetic. I can't say I've ever dragged my differential on anything before, but before I take this thing out on something that's capable of hitting it, I'll swap it out and leave the extra protection that's already there. In the last pic you can see where someone else has, sometime in this Bronco's past, dragged the differential over something... more than once. The short piece of pipe that's protecting it hangs down further than the plug.

cobrajoe likes this.

post #207 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If you haven't guessed yet, I've had the gears and lockers installed. Despite my FSB surrogate father's wishes, I had a shop install them for me. I'm sure given enough time, tools and a proper place to do it, I could have managed it myself albeit at a very slow pace. I'm glad they did it though, because I'm having a hard enough time getting other things done as it is.

After I got off work this morning I stayed up until about noon (up from 3:30pm until noon the next day) while I removed my steering gear, boxed it up, and dropped it off at UPS. I haven't had a lot of time to get at the steering gear. I have about a week left before I lose my $300 core deposit, so rather than lose that I stayed up very "late" and got it yanked and sent off until I can get some more time to put the new one on.

Here are some pics from that adventure this morning.

The mounting bolts for the steering gear after I scrubbed them with a wire brush. It's that 1/8" of crud that covers everything on this Bronco.

The frame after removal.

The same spot after a quick wire brushing. I'll probably go over it all again with a wire cup on my grinder to really clean things up before I install the new gear.

Steering gear draining before being packed and boxed up. It doesn't really like to come out on its own or at least it didn't for me. I found it helped a lot if I turned the input shaft by hand from lock to lock as that would push the fluid out. I did that until I couldn't really get much out and it gurgled and sounded like you were drinking an empty drink from a straw.

The pitman arm was a bit loose when I first got this Bronco and I had previously tightened it up with my impact a long time ago to try to reduce the play in my steering. When I went to remove the pitman arm this morning it came off pretty easily with a few taps from my socket on the arm once the nut was off. I had to use my custom attachment setup in order to remove it without removing anything else around it. I needed a shallow socket and two wobble extensions to clear the steering linkage. I couldn't remove the pitman arm completely until I got the steering gear unmounted from the frame. An itty bitty cotter pin was all that got in my way, but I didn't feel like wrestling with it, so I just moved along with things until the pitman arm dropped.

Honestly, the thing that slowed me down the most was this one bolt that holds the rag joint onto the input shaft. This is partly why I don't take on projects that are a lot more complicated than this one is. I am poorly equipped. I literally have zero 12 point sockets and this is the only bolt used on the steering that has a 12 point head. I had to drive all the way across town to get a set of 12 point sockets and in the process ran some errands. Meh. More annoying than anything else, but it detoured me for about an hour. The rag joint is pretty tight, but it's very oil soaked and I'll probably replace it just so I have a fresh one in there.

Here's the new Redhead steering gear out of the box. The red stuff is the ATF they use to pressure test the steering gear. They put in plastic plugs, then wrapped the plugs with what sorta looks like gauze, then wrapped that with tape to hold it on. This is apparently their way of handling leaking plugs during shipping. I needed the plugs to plug my old gear, so I removed everything on the Redhead and then covered it back up without the plugs with some paper towels taped on and left it sitting with the ports facing skyward until I can get the time to install it.

Old gear plugged and ready to be wrapped and boxed up. I wrapped it the same way I did the Redhead with the paper towels and tape, then I wrapped it in the plastic bag it came in and reused everything else they sent it with. I taped the crap out of the boxes (box in a box) and then dropped it off at UPS.

Then I put the wheel back on the Bronco and left it sitting on the jack stand off the ground about an inch, so it doesn't look like I'm working on it. The joys of parking stuff on the street here. As long as it looks like it runs and isn't broke down no one seems to care.

post #208 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are a few pics of the diffs post gear/locker install. They cleaned up the D44 cover and painted it for me, which I wasn't expecting, but it looks really nice. They cleaned up the third member as well, but didn't go to the lengths they did on the D44 cover as far as painting things. Actually, for all I know they put a different one on there that they previously cleaned and painted and then kept mine to refurbish. Either way it looks worlds better than all the gunk that covers the underside of this Bronco. They replaced the axle seals on the D44 while it was open and used Lube Locker gaskets on the D44 cover and the 9" third member when they put things back together. You'll also notice the new pinion yoke I got for the 9" and hopefully that resolves my exploding u-joint issue I had.

Closer shot of the drain plug that was added to the 9". After I previously posted pics showing it and mentioning that I'd probably swap plugs for one that was flush mount I thought better of it and I think instead I'll try to make a skid plate for the diff that covers the plug in the process. I'll drain the gear oil after 500 miles for the gear break-in, then after that having a skid plate over the drain wouldn't be much of an issue as I'd be draining it a lot less frequently. Most that I've seen attach to the pinion support bolts. I'm gonna try to find some scrap metal and draw something up, cut the pieces, and see if I can find someone to weld it together for me. We'll see. Also, from following @BikerPepe` 's thread on his 400 swap that he's currently doing, I now know what that MCC on the pinion support means.

post #209 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Reserved a new rag joint (steering coupler when talking to parts guys or looking online) from Advance online while I was at work, then picked it up once I got off and they opened. Yes, you can just replace the rubber part, but this is a lot simpler and far less time consuming. I did the same thing on my F100 and that one is working great.

I'll pop the pitman arm all the way off, wire wheel it, and paint it before I get around to completing this project. From the quick glance I gave it the splines looked ok, but I'll have to give it a closer look once I get it off. I don't want to mess things up on the new steering gear and the pitman arm was loose for who knows how long before I got the Bronco.

El Kabong and cobrajoe like this.

post #210 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got the pitman arm all the way off yesterday morning after work. Funny enough, the side a lot of guys have trouble with (the steering box side) was super easy and the drag link side was being difficult for me. In reality it didn't take too long, but I was soaking it with some penetrant and smacking it with a 2lb metal hammer over and over for a good 15 minutes before it yielded before mighty Thor.

I took a little closer look at the pitman and I'm still not sure if it's bad enough to warrant replacing. I haven't wire wheeled it yet (I'll do it when I get home this morning) to really get it clean and inspect it for cracks, but when I was moving it to where I stored it I looked at the splines and some of them look a little rounded. I hope it's still good, because most pitmans I find online are drop pitmans and the "stock" ones don't look quite like mine does in the spline area anyway.

I decided to go ahead and order some more parts. I'm just gonna replace the drag link and tie rod ends while I'm taking everything apart. I got my refund on that Ram clutch and now I'm just shuffling that money around to other places that would benefit the most. After I get the steering gear in and put the rest of the steering linkage on I'm gonna take it and get it aligned. Hopefully after that this thing will be pretty solid. I of course still have my long list of little things to take care of, but the important functions (Stop, Go, and Steer) will be addressed. Then it'll be back to the other side of the canyon to see how she does on the lava rock.
cobrajoe, d_rock and Want2BS8ed like this.

post #211 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm gonna go to bed in a few minutes, but I got the pitman arm cleaned up. It's nice and shiny. I wire wheeled it for what felt like forever then cleaned up the holes as best I could with some soapy water. However, there are broken splines, about 4 in total.

Anyone familiar with pitman arms and now how important it is that everything is 100% intact? I'm gonna try to find another one, but I'll probably have to just use this one. The PO had a loose pitman arm and left it that way for who knows how long. The way it was sort of hanging a little put more stress on the upper half of the splines, which looks like where the 4 that are busted are.

post #212 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 5.0L, E4OD, Bassani headers/exhaust, factory tow pkg. & 31x10.5-15’s on USMag 5 slots
Garage
At least comparing to the replacement part on Bronco Graveyard, the unbroken splines look pretty worn. $75 is steep , I'd probably replace in a abundance of caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Build Thread: Orey Gets Stroked
“It doesn’t need to run like a raped ape... a mildly violated monkey would be fine.”
post #213 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Ford-a-Holic

@Doosenberry , I should have 1 or 2 laying around; will look tomorrow. If I do, it's yours for the cost of shipping if you want it.
Want2BS8ed likes this.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #214 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajoe View Post
@Doosenberry , I should have 1 or 2 laying around; will look tomorrow. If I do, it's yours for the cost of shipping if you want it.
That'd be great. Just don't overnight airmail it for $100.
post #215 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Seriously Dude, you take all the fun out of this $hit.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #216 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2BS8ed View Post
$75 is steep
I agree. The only places I found that sold "new" pitman arms that weren't drop arms were JBG and LMC. JBG was $75 + their notorious shipping and LMC was just under $100 before shipping. I searched for used stuff on ebay and car-part and the only used stuff I found was still $100 after shipping. If joe doesn't find one hiding inside a quahog I'll probably hit a couple of my local JYs and see if I can find one there before shelling out a hundred bucks. There are two 78/79 Broncos in the yards here that are still there, but I didn't check to see if their steering was intact as I didn't need steering stuff then. Most of the dentside trucks happen to be 78/79's though, so that might help.

Quote:
Seriously Dude, you take all the fun out of this $hit.
Hey, you keep the shipping cost down and there will be a box of spuds in the deal for you.
Want2BS8ed likes this.

post #217 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doosenberry View Post
Hey, you keep the shipping cost down and there will be a box of spuds in the deal for you.
Hey, you make it a box of Jack Daniels and the shipping is free also.
Want2BS8ed likes this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #218 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 5.0L, E4OD, Bassani headers/exhaust, factory tow pkg. & 31x10.5-15’s on USMag 5 slots
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doosenberry View Post
If joe doesn't find one hiding inside a quahog

Ha! There’s just enough Yankee in me to get that reference. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Build Thread: Orey Gets Stroked
“It doesn’t need to run like a raped ape... a mildly violated monkey would be fine.”
post #219 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:54 PM
Ford-a-Holic

I"m sure I have late models, does anyone know if the '78 is the same?

MY BUILD THREAD
post #220 of 239 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I"m sure I have late models, does anyone know if the '78 is the same?
Every thing I look up is cut off at 80 with 80-96 being different according to all the listings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode