Whippin' the 78 Bronco into shape. - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Here's the booster and the master hooked up. Again, these are listed for a '75 F150.

Bronco Al likes this.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
77 F150 Custom LWB - 351M/C6 4wd ~ Sold
88 Civic Hatchback - D15B1/4Spd ~ Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
I got started on the rear brakes. This is my first go around with most of this stuff, so I'm learning as I go.

I removed the driver's side drum first. It did not come off easily. I had to acquire a new 2lb metal hammer to assist in releasing it from the hub. I took a few pics of the assembly for reference, removed all the hardware and the shoes, then put the drum and the wheel back on as I had other things I needed to do, aka sleep. I'm not sure when I'll get back to it. I'm covering for the other night shift guy at work on Monday and Tuesday, so it'll be 12+ hours a night at work from Friday - Thursday. We'll see how it goes. I may die.

Now, I'm no pro, I'm sure you can tell, but from all the vidyas I been watchin' on that there youtube suggest that these shoes are on backwards. This is the driver's side... so the smaller shoe should be on the left, correct? It appears to be on the right. Right. I'm glad I'm going through all this stuff. Geez. The guy I bought it from was definitely not the original owner, but he did work at a local parts store and I'm finding a lot of parts from that particular chain (Carquest/Advance Auto Parts) on this Bronco, so I'm assuming he's done a lot of the "maintenance" or messing up as it appears to be.

Napa is having their bucket sale this month (20% off anything that fits in the bucket), so I took the opportunity to get everything I'd need for the front and rear brakes. Whatever I don't end up using I'll take back, but I got a small shopping cart's worth of stuff. The guy at the counter said it technically didn't need to fit in the bucket to get the deal, which is good because there was no way it would have. So, I'll have plenty to keep me busy whenever I'm able to get back to things.

Meanwhile, this newly acquired cash is burning a whole in my brain while I'm thinking of different things I could spend it on. Put it towards a lift, deavers sound nice. Maybe a locker. A new redhead steering gear. I'd like a new cordless ratchet to go with my impact, tools are always a plus. I've noticed I tend to save a lot of money by being indecisive. I can't spend it if I can't make up my mind.
Bronco Al and I6-Kid like this.

post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well this project sucks. lol

Tonight is night 7 of 7 for my week of 12's at work. My supervisor just asked if I'd be willing to do another day, because the guy I'm filling in for on my days off isn't gonna be back in time for tomorrow's shift. I said yes. So, I won't be getting back to things as soon as I'd hope. At least yesterday, today, and tomorrow will be straight overtime pay. Finally, I get paid what I'm worth. lol. I'm sure bosses like to hear that crap.

On another note, I won't be spending this weekend doing my brakes as I had hoped. I had a voice message waiting for me this afternoon when I woke up from my slumber. My 75 F150, which has a dead engine, a rotten body, and I've been slowly picking things off it like a vulture, has been sitting at my mechanics shop for months on end. I can't even remember how long its been there sitting in his lot and he's been a solid dude about it. He left me a message basically saying its time that it has to go, which I understand. It wasn't meant to sit there this long.

The plan was to have him rip out the engine and tranny in one piece and drop them in the bed of my F100. Then I was gonna pick what I needed off the truck and have someone tow it from his lot off to the crusher. If I had a house that I actually owned and a large enough place, off street, to park it, I'd hang onto it and salvage every last piece that I could, but that's not the reality of my situation.

It's funny how plans change as time goes by. I was wanting to take the top end off the dead 460 and put it on a good bottom end and then put it all into my F100 to replace the stock 302. I had always wanted the drive train I beefed up in my F150 in a short bed truck. It just so happened that I blew the engine up a few months before I found a short bed truck to put it into. Meh. But as time has gone by this past year I've started to change my mind and lean towards getting a roller block 302, say out of an explorer, and beefing that up and just keep the F100 with a small block. It's just that I have a bunch of big block parts and a lot of nostalgia. Damn it! Either way, I'll be stripping the 150 down this weekend and having them yank that engine and tranny out for me while I'm working next week. I'm sure it'll only take them an hour or two as I'll just unbolt the whole front end and pop it off in one piece.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did manage to sell the old carb off the Bronco this morning after work, so that was nice!

I'm still torn on whether or not to carb the F100. The 460 out of the F150 has a Demon 850 sitting on it. It was a great carb, it still is, but it also was. I don't even think they make that model of Demon anymore. It has annular boosters, vacuum secondaries, and electric choke. Not sure what I was thinking when I selected that one. The whole engine setup is like a mishmash of racing features and street features. Let's get a racing style carb with a bunch of non-racing stuff on it and then add a billet distributor with no vac advance for your daily driver. Sweet hay zeus. Hey, I was about 22-23 at the time, I didn't know what I wanted.

I do know that I plan on using the carb spacers on the Bronco! I was there when the 460 was being broken-in and dyno'd, so I can say I've witnessed exactly what a 4 hole spacer can add and what an open spacer can add to your engine's performance even if it's minute in the grand scheme of things. My memory isn't perfect, but on that engine setup they added 15-20hp between the two of them, so even half that would be nice on the stock 351m. It's basically free horsepower at this point since I'm not buying anything. The 4 hole added power down low and the open spacer added it up top. It was neat to watch it, because he did one spacer at a time and they each got their own pull on the dyno. After all the tuning on the dyno he said "That's it bud, that's all the tricks I know to get horsepower out of this thing."

Oh yeah, one more thing, I was trolling through the FB marketplace yesterday and saw a guy selling 78/79 Bronco stuff. I was going through his page after deciding none of his stuff interested me, because he had a lot of progress pics on his two rigs and then I noticed this pic. It's like... a 78/79 Centurion. How cool would that be. Take a 78/79 Crew cab and graft on a Bronco. Neat stuff.

post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:11 AM

Bronco Info: 94 XLT, 5.8L, 8 lug HP D44, FF D60, work in progess
That thing is killer!!!!!
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Wow, that's an awesome 4 door!

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I didn't manage to get my F150 taken apart as much as I had liked. The spot it's sitting in currently has a giant pool of water and mud, so I unbolted the inner fenders, but didn't have the necessary extensions and whatnot to get at the mounts for the radiator support. I talked to the shop owners son, who happened to be working by himself on Sunday for whatever reason (I didn't think anyone was there), and worked out a time line for getting the truck out of there and I decided to come back another time to finish my end of the deal.

Before I closed the hood and left I decided to pop off the carb and the two Moroso carb spacers, so I could take them home and clean them up. I found some debris in the intake right under the carb. My internal thoughts were "Wtf is this? Aw man, did the spacer break ... Oh.. Oh no... ohhhhh... sh*t." followed by some audible laughter. I seem to take things pretty well. I'll show some pictures of what I found and then a picture from the internet of what it used to look like. lol What a bummer.

That's right. A piece of one of my cast aluminum hypereutectic piston skirts made it through the intake valve and up the intake runner and finished under the carb. There was a lot more under there, but that was the largest chunk, about the width of a dime. I was hoping the heads were still good, not so sure about that now. We'll see once I tear into it a bit and salvage whatever is good. Cast aluminum pistons go boom.

post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 PM

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco XLT - Buck the Truck
ohh dang that sux. sometimes you have to laugh while crying...

Owner of Buck the Truck. My Build Page
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newageroman View Post
ohh dang that sux. sometimes you have to laugh while crying...
I dunno. I'm not much for crying over this stuff. Maybe if it had happened right after I had everything built, but that was at least 15 years ago and my life has changed a lot.

I just wish I had a better place to do all of this, aka a garage. I have a pretty understanding wife as far as my hobby goes. She is getting pretty annoyed with the frequency of packages that show up to the door, mostly because my German Shepherd is the gatekeeper and he goes off as soon as he hears the UPS truck roll up in front of the house. Love that dog.

I still have this sitting in our back room which is more or less a storage room that was added onto the rear of this house, so not a lot of wiggle room to work on it. It's since been buried by a lot of crap after this picture was taken. Once I get the Bronco squared away I'll probably DD it for a while and start clearing out all the stuff I've gathered for the F100, which is a lot of little things and then this one.. giant.. thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode