Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Dump’s 89 Eddie B

14K views 92 replies 15 participants last post by  youngDUMP 
#1 ·
Got my Bronco registered today so it’s time to start the thread. In January I picked up a 1 owner 02 4x4 Tahoe that needed a new brake caliper and a tune up from a friend’s family friend for an amazing deal of $1k. After getting it home and fixed, new wipers, air filter, and oil change, I was about $1300 in it. Listed it on Craigslist for sale or trade for a Bronco. Fella messaged me in the next few days wanting to trade for an 89 Bronco. So after driving an hour to check it out I went from this (only pic I have of the Tahoe)

To this

1989 Eddie Bauer
Fresh black paint
5.0/AOD
4” pro comp lift
4.56 Yukon gears/LS in rear
35x12.5x15 General Grabber AT2
15x10 MT black steelies
Bumpers
Winch
Fender flares

It needed lockouts as it had the old plastic ford ones that were toast. Due to that the PO has never locked it in 4wd and couldn’t tell me for sure if the front gears were matched to the rear 4.56s. I assumed they weren’t and was correct. Anyways, I had a set of warm premium lockouts that I put in and 4wd started rippin.

Brought it home on a Saturday and checked it out, then took it on a trail ride at the lake Sunday. It did great and had no issues, even with the mismatched gears(I only locked it in when necessary to cross mud). Here we are at the lake

Gave it a bath, took the fender flares off and started ordering parts and tinkering. Yukon 4.56 front gears, husky floor mats, Window seals, thermostat, upper radiator hose, coolant flush, fixed rear window dash switch and tightened the interior up with new clips and missing screws. Fixed a no start on cold start and fuel sending into problem. Daily drove it for 2.5 and owned it for about 4. This is Bronco number 3 and I’m happy to have this one.

Without fender flares

The plan for this truck is to go back to the original Eddie Bauer paint scheme and finish out the interior as its missing a few things like headliner, tilt steering column and cruise control wheel, some of the interior top and headliner trim, and the original EB driver seat. This truck will continue to be modded, driven, and wheeled. I live near a big lake in North MS and with my rigs and the roommates we get a lot of calls to recover stuck people and college kids (Ole Miss). This is one of the jobs I will be building this truck for. The other will be cruising around Oxford and going to Cruisin the Coast, Super bronco celebration, and whatnot.

With a direction in mind and being on Craigslist lat at night, I found a clean looking 1990 ED bronco roller chassis about 4 hours away. A few emails the next day and it was mine. It arrived on Sunday and boy am I happy. I will be able to finish my interior completely and anything else I could want. This thing also has rear lift springs instead of blocks, a tan top, tire carrier, and aluminum wheels. Can’t wait to start swapping parts on them this weekend.

So far we’re up to date. I’ll keep y’all posted as the build progresses.

See less See more
#3 ·
Swapped the black headlights and grill for chrome today. I like how it turned out

Headed out to the parts truck in the morning to swap some more parts over.

Horn isn’t working, so while I had the driver headlight out I tested the horns. Both worked. I need to dig deeper into that.

#5 ·
Thanks PowerB, I really appreciate it.

Exhausting work this weekend. I swapped the front and rear seats, rear trim panels, carpet, chrome fender trim, and rear speakers from the 90 to the 89.

I had planned to swap the tan top as well, but wind at the marina was rippin today and I only had one extra set of hands. The carpet and seats still needs to be cleaned l, but they have much more life than the ones I swapped and now I have full Eddie B interior in the 89. I didn’t swap the front carpet as the carpet in the 90 was faded. The only problem with the carpet in the 89 is a bald spot on the center hump, but I plan to build a center console to go over that area for some more front storage.

#12 ·
Long day at work yesterday, but I was able to squeeze in some time at the end of the day. I had one of my dock hands help me swap tops and then I swapped in the new/used air box, intake tubes, cold air duct and added a new air filter. Old one was BAD! Today I’ll be ordering a backup light switch to hopefully fix my reverse lights staying on in all gears but park. Hopefully find time to replace the rear window top seal today as well. Enjoy.

#14 ·
Yesterday I popped the top off for St. Patrick’s day and eased into town to watch some SEC baseball. After that we rode out to the lake to check the water level.

I’m starting to think about swapping a solid d44 into the front. I’m not sure which route I want to go yet, but need to figure it out before I rebuild the ttb and have the new front diff setup. Decisions decisions...

#16 ·
When I think of an antique car the Model T or a Stanley Steamer comes to mind. Not an 80's Bronco. lol

I have a personalized plate planned out for my 78, but I just haven't ever gotten around to ordering it.

BTW, I just looked up "Bronco" in my state's DMV online and someone here already has it. Lucky you, sir.

#17 ·
Today I got around to dropping the fuel tank. An old repair from the PO let loose and she started dripping. The tank dropped out fairly easily. One man, a jack, and about 45 minutes. Ordered a new one from rockauto, it should be here Monday. Bout to head back out and install the drivers side step.

#20 ·
Yes I do. Was thinking of using it for wall art in the shop. 3 of the 4 mounting clips are broken off which is one of the reasons I changed it other than CHROME haha. Are you needing one? I know where another nice chrome one is in the u-pull it I could snag for you next trip out. It could be painted like the black one is

#21 ·
My tank came in early so I installed it after work. It went in smooth, no surprises. I loosened the upper straps before tightening the skid plate bolts. Didn’t want to crush the tank if it differed in dimensions. Going to drive it to work tomorrow.

#22 ·
Cleaned up and installed the tire carrier and ordered a new spare tire cover. Wire wheel, sand, primer and paint. I used black semi gloss rustoleum. I also installed bronze oil embedded flanged sleeve bearings in place of the factory plastic tire carrier bushings. It came out nice and tight. I did use my Dremel to clean up the inside of the body mount holes and inside/outside of the bearings.

Tire carrier brass pivot bearings/bushing
McMaster Carr part #6659K32.
https://www.mcmaster.com/sleeve-bearings

Shop doge

I also swapped the aluminum wheels from the parts bronco to my tires and vice versa. Im happy with the way they turned out. Time for some polishing

#25 ·
Picked up a mother’s powerball and white diamond metal polish today to start polishing my new aluminum wheels. The backs of the wheels were terrible and the front face wasn’t anything to talk about. For the back side I used steel wool and kerosene. They aren’t perfect but much better than before. Under all that crap was “Alcoa Forged 15x10” stamped in the inner wheel.

The front I hit with the steel wool and then wet sanded with 1500 grit followed by the white diamond/powerball.

#26 ·
Went to swap the mirrors from the parts truck to the black Bronco, but when I started taking them off I noticed you could see die marks in them and they were obviously aftermarket.

Instead I removed what I assume were factory mirrors and brackets and grabbed some acetone and cotton rags to start stripping the overspray off. I only got to the passenger side today after work. Took about 45 minutes to clean this one up. Soaking a rag and letting it sit on the surface for several seconds before wiping was the best method I found.

I also robbed the mirror insulators? From the parts truck as mine were missing.

I’ll try and get to the driver side tomorrow or Wednesday and also see what some metal polish does to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.