1978 6.6L c6 Bronco build thread. - Ford Bronco Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 6.6L Bronco
1978 6.6L c6 Bronco build thread.

So wasn't too sure where to post this since I don't have the comment karma to post in the normal forums.

Bought a used 78 for a decent price wanting to restore it. Had a burnt battery and cables when I got it so couldnt get it to start. Fresh battery/cables later it cranked but kept stalling. Replaced the eletric fuel pump with a better one and relocated it back towards the gas tank as apparently theyre better at pushing fuel instead of pulling. Got all steel fuel lines installed and the carb cleaned out. Runs nice and smooth now so moving on to next item on the list which is the rust issue. Floor pans are pretty bad so I'm going to be ordering patch kits which will hopefully be enough.

Next on the list are:

- Repairing bench with foam/burlap/adhesive and buying bench covers
- Fixing turn signals/reverse lights (might be burnt out bulbs)
- Replacing windshield (going to pick a new one up next time I'm in Atlanta)
- Figuring out why all my guages are dead on the instrument cluster but Speedometer and Voltage (has aftermarket RPM/OIL/Coolant guages)
- Fixing the radio/speakers+modernizing
- Fixing back gate/window (wont move at all)
- Replacing all weather stripping
- Fixing AC/Heater
- Replacing doors/door shells with non rusted ones
- Replacing rusting quarter panels/patching them

Eventually wayyy down the line, I'd like to get a roll cage installed and replace the fiberglass top with a soft top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADB6DDC0-E6FC-415C-9B8A-E2FDE9DA2892_1553105243751.jpg (515.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 280F58E7-C7CE-4B49-83EB-D6A50856B3D6_1553105270657.jpg (523.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 7ED85743-D4E3-4D7D-A354-01F594111127_1553105294425.jpg (608.3 KB, 8 views)
BigBlue 94 and cobrajoe like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know why bronco graveyard charges so much for shipping? Ordering about 700 in parts and theyre quoting me 250 for shipping alone, lowers to 146 even if I chose to pick up in person..... I'd make the drive from Mississippi to wherever they are in Michigan if that means that it saves me 250 since my daily driver gets ~40mpg. But that extra 146 for in person fee is kinda ridiculous.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckistan97 View Post
Anyone know why bronco graveyard charges so much for shipping? Ordering about 700 in parts and theyre quoting me 250 for shipping alone, lowers to 146 even if I chose to pick up in person..... I'd make the drive from Mississippi to wherever they are in Michigan if that means that it saves me 250 since my daily driver gets ~40mpg. But that extra 146 for in person fee is kinda ridiculous.

What are you ordering, springs? I've ordered about $500 from there and had less than 50 bucks shipping. And that was with a tuffy console

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
Quote:

What are you ordering, springs? I've ordered about $500 from there and had less than 50 bucks shipping. And that was with a tuffy console
Weatherstrip kit for the doors, replacement floor pans, interior vinyl for the floor and door panel replacements. I know its stuff that takes a lot of place but doesn't explain with its still a 146$ surcharge for in person pick up. I'd contact them via email to ask but their "about us" and "contact" webpages are literally blank with the generic website builder text 😕

Edit: Figured out why the contact info didnt show up, had to go on the "full" website instead of the mobile version
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Chose to forget about vinyl flooring as I'm just going to bedline the whole thing. Ended up saving me ~300 in materials and ~150 in shipping. Hopefully a thick layer of bed liner will have some decent insulation/sound proofing capabilities.

Anyone got a good product for me to try to coat/seal the under carriage properly and to bedline (theres hundreds of brands out there)? Granted this was a Mississippi truck its whole life so doesn't have any major body rust issues besides those rotted out floor pans and some small quarter sized holes on the wheel arches and bottom of the door shells. Will be used as a summer cruising/hunting/mudding truck so not too worried on it looking pristine but I want it looking clean and not rusted out.

Floor pans and other items are coming in Tuesday so I'll be prepping all the metal and removing the cancerous rust then and posting pictures of course.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Link to floor pan/floor weld thread, lots of good info by great OG members

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...loor-pans.html
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Didnt have time for much today except cleaning up my nasty tail light plastic things (not too sure what theyre called). They were full of dirt and mold so cleaned them up best I could until I can get some replacement ones in. Here are some before after pics, I used a nylon brush and a stainless steel one with a liberal use of dish soap. Found out that a bunch of the bulbs weren't connected or were burnt out which explains why they didnt work at all.

As for the floor pans I just got those in today and user YoungDUMP whos also in my small college town said he'd help me out with them and (hopefully) teach me how to weld a bit so that should be awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 559106B8-4814-47DC-9117-EE9A6DC08F79_1553626501341.jpg (327.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 10A23D5C-80F6-4D66-9A7F-BC96620C7493_1553626523350.jpg (334.1 KB, 3 views)
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Oh and forgot to add, my window weatherstrip kit came in so will be doing that tomorrow.

Also, went to check the oil levels and apparently the whole dipstick is snapped?? First time checking it so no idea if the other half is somehow stuck in there or it outs 😕 any recommendations on what I should do lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7C4D20C5-40A7-40B6-A36B-032ADBD925C4_1553627320308.jpg (438.1 KB, 5 views)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Thread on removing and replacing window weatherstrip using the kit from bronco graveyard.

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/#/topics/503032
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:38 AM

Bronco Info: 11/93 production date. 5.0 engine, M.A.F. , TTB front, 1356 manual shift transfer, 8.8 3.55 L.S.
So six days and then you checked the oil.....okay, yep it’s broken off. You might look in there with a good flashlight and see, or matbe fish in there with a small magnet on one of those telescoping things, but that might backfire and break. If you can’t see any of it down there then I would try putting a not broken one in there gently and see if it goes without jamming. If it jams then find a round tapered punch that fits in there good, put round-jawed vice grips around the dipstick tube with the punch in there tight, and knock the whole tube out of the front cover. Otherwise pull the front cover. You needed a new timing chain and water pump anyway right? If the tube goes in the front of the block and not the timing cover , my bad. It’s late, I’m tired. Maybe I should have deleted this whole thing?🤔😳🙈
BigBlue 94 likes this.

I have been known to sometimes sing “The Hero of Canton” song from the tv show ‘Firefly’ while making breakfast on a weekend morning....
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Project STINKY Superviser

Bronco Info: 78 and 79 Bronco
Quote:
So wasn't too sure where to post this since I don't have the comment karma to post in the normal forums.

Bought a used 78 for a decent price wanting to restore it. Had a burnt battery and cables when I got it so couldnt get it to start. Fresh battery/cables later it cranked but kept stalling. Replaced the eletric fuel pump with a better one and relocated it back towards the gas tank as apparently theyre better at pushing fuel instead of pulling. Got all steel fuel lines installed and the carb cleaned out. Runs nice and smooth now so moving on to next item on the list which is the rust issue. Floor pans are pretty bad so I'm going to be ordering patch kits which will hopefully be enough.
I have replaced a few, here is the link to my build. Replaced the Passenger side. Ill be doing both driver and passenger in my sons 77 F250 soon, LMC pans came in.

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ky-78-a-3.html

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

My Stable
www.supermotors.net/users/bronczilla
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:29 PM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Por-15 is great for the undercarriage. Anywhere its exposed to sunlight, it needs a topcoat or itll fail. For the inside, it's a toss up. Many like monstaliner, I've never used it. Mine has a mystery bedliner in it, and it doesn't do much for sound or heat.

Lizard skin makes a coating system that blocks heat and sound, but it's a bit more expensive, and two different products.

I use the duplicolor truck bed liner in both liquid and aerosol for all my projects. It has virtually no texture. I have used it on axles, frames, UTV bed, bottom of a jon boat, firearms, and more. It only comes in black I believe.

@miesk5 wanna move this to the build section?
miesk5 likes this.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:26 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo @BigBlue 94
TY for alerting me! Site has been lagging so much for me that I can't patrol around so much as before.

Yo canuckistan97,
Moving this thread to the Build Section.

I didn't see you in the Introduction Section, so here is some info for you.

My fav sources are:
Amazon! Bought two New Motorcraft Sensors for 1/3 price! Ford and usual Sources prices were $150.00 each.

CARID, A FSB VENDOR!
https://www.carid.com

Rock Auto, A FSB VENDOR!
[url]https://www.rockauto.com

Auto Krafters - Bronco/Ford truck parts & accessories; @ https://www.autokrafters.com

Parts Geek has Motorcraft
https://www.partsgeek.com

WILD HORSES Four Wheel Drive - Bronco/Ford truck parts & accessories @ https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/catego...ze_Ford_Bronco

LMC TRUCK® (Long Motor Corporation) - Bronco/Ford truck parts & accessories & 66-77 & 80-96 Bronco
Truck Parts & Truck Accessories @ Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks

Mill Supply - Bronco/Ford truck body panels, interior door panels, weatherstrip, mirrors, headlights, tail lights, side marker; Click Order a CATALOG Excellent fit, metal gauge, primed and shipping protection!
@ https://www.millsupply.com

National Parts Depot - Bronco/Ford truck parts & accessories; Click Order your Printed NPD catalog
@ https://www.npdlink.com

Dennis Carpenter - 78-96 Bronco/Ford truck & car parts & accessories w/parts break-out diagrams & Ford part numbers; Click Get Catalogs @ http://dennis-carpenter.com/truck67-79/c/14/

IDIDIT® - 78-79 steering columns; Click Catalog Request @ www.ididitinc.com

Metro Moulded Parts - rubber restoration parts & Bronco/Ford truck weather stripping; Click Free Catalog
@ https://metrommp.com

SoffSeal® (formerly A&M Soffseal) - Bronco/Ford truck door & window weather stripping; Click Free Catalog @ https://www.soffseal.com

Steele Rubber Products - Bronco/Ford truck weather stripping & rubber; Click REQUEST A CATALOG
@ https://www.steelerubber.com

¤
1978 Bronco Dealer Brochure via Indybronco

1978 Bronco Emission Component Location Diagrams via 78brncoxlt

1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual via topsig (Ziggy) similar to 78. I previously gave you this.

Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch @ Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop

MANY Parts Break-Out Diagrams by Indybronco (Lula Mae) @ pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ https://broncograveyard.com/rt-1273-...-archives.html
My Tablet times out to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 installed. Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort. You'd be the First.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tilt wheel Diagram, Tire Rack

Order a Ford authorized repair manual other than the EVTM, either a Bishko or a Dave Graham from rockauto.com in Literature section or other source. If it's a CD, ask if it will run on your PC device.

Forum faqs @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...lies-faqs.html
includes for example;
How to use search (Advanced) @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...-advanced.html

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ech-links.html

Look at Technical Service Bulletins @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products and Turbochargers | TSB and Wiring Diagrams Database

Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
Contests will be held in JANUARY, MARCH, MAY, JULY, & SEPTEMBER. Each month in-between will be used for nominating contestants to run in the following Month.
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Then get ready for the Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.)
BigBlue 94 likes this.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the input guys, unfortunately had a not so little run in with the law so might end up having to sell my dentside right after I'm done fixing up those floor pans for lawyer money. Hopefully it won't come to that though.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 & 1990
Garage
drain the oil, then unscrew the dip stick plug from the pan. careful when removing the dip stick tube so that you can grab the broken part of the dipstick.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Been slowly but surely working on it with YoungDUMP's help (hes been super helpful), after having her sit for a month and a half I drove the dentside to YoungDump's place and we proceeded to take all the seats and everything out of it. Probably vacuumed about 20lbs worth of trash from it.

After the seats were removed and everything was cleaned up we started working on the passenger floor pan as it was the worse off. Angle grinded it out and started fitting the bronco graveyard pans in which was a huge pain in the ass as those floor pans are slightly out of spec. Drilled holes around the perimiter of the pan so that we could tack weld it in place in the bronco. We're going to tack weld all around and seam seal around it as we're concerned that the bronco will catch on fire if we weld the whole seam plus we only have a flux core welder. Will finish that up and the driver side shortly afterwhich I'll prep and rhinoline the whole interior to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1560674687675.jpg (435.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image_1560674716327.jpg (384.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png image_1560674813171.png (1,019.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png image_1560674821994.png (1.12 MB, 4 views)
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Next step will be to fix the engine and tune the carb, shes running super hot right now and had coolant boiling out of the radiator on the 20min drive to YoungDumps place which is obviously no bueno.

I've also noticed she was leaking from the gas tank when filling her up, seems to be coming from that pump unit seal or something like that so will drop the tank and get her all cleaned up with new seals anyways.

Lots to do in terms of wirring, the whole thing is a mess and jerry rigged so will rewire completely as soon as I have 700 bucks to blow on that. Headlights are super dim and original so will replace with square LED ones. Found out that the tailgate motor still works but was disconnected by previous owner for some reason so need to reconnect. Flashers don't really work so need to figure that out as well

Cosmetically the bottom of the doors are starting to rust so I'm going to look into getting replacements from a local junk yard, still needs the inner plastic panels, fixed up the front and back bench seat.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Here are some more pics of the gas tank leak, the dentside with her top off beside YoungDumps bronco and the surprise rust issue I found after I removed the top which I'm not too sure how I'll be able to fix that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1560675438745.jpg (220.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image_1560675500983.jpg (375.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image_1560675520432.jpg (358.6 KB, 4 views)
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:21 AM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
Nice to see members helping members!

A good start for the headlights is the HD harness that JBG sells. Many of us have it installed.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
Nice to see members helping members!

A good start for the headlights is the HD harness that JBG sells. Many of us have it installed.
Thanks for the tip, will look into that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode