• 3 Post By Lil' Red
  • 2 Post By Lil' Red
  • 2 Post By Lil' Red
  • 3 Post By Lil' Red
  • 1 Post By Lil' Red
  • 2 Post By Lil' Red

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco 5.0 Red, 6in Lift, 35in Copper STT Pro's on 15in Ion Alloy Wheels
Garage
Lil' Red 1986 Build Thread

Just a way to keep track of Lil' Red's build as I keep on building. Just a broke young man trying to have some fun and explore some awesome places..... Vail, Arizona.
itwasFREE!!!!, Quader1 and biggum like this.

1986 Bronco, building on a budget, exploring all that Mother Nature has to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco 5.0 Red, 6in Lift, 35in Copper STT Pro's on 15in Ion Alloy Wheels
Garage
Well, Picked up Lil' Red on Mar 1st, of 2015 as a project. I got the Bronco when I was 14, before I could even legally drive. We were headed to breakfast with some family and my father and I were a bit early and decided to run across the street to the pawn shop to kill some time. I noticed the Bronco sitting in the yard on the side of the shop, and knew it would be a cool truck to own, and has since turned into my dream. After a quick convo with the pawn shop employee, we asked him to put it on a charger while we went for breakfast, and we'd be back after to check it out some more.

Came back from breakfast, and the Bronco started right up. After hearing it run we shut her off and kept on checking it out. Decided to take it for a test drive, but unfortunatley she wouldn't start. After a quick trip to Ace for the wrong fusible link, we started her up again and closed the deal and she was mine. A few breakdowns on the 30min drive home was the first of many, but I have always loved every minute of the Bronco.

Here are some pics of the day we picked up Lil' Red. Wrecked on the driver front, and pretty much completely stock. 4 different rims, 3 different types of worn out dry rotted tires, and a broken rear window, she was rough.

1986 Bronco, building on a budget, exploring all that Mother Nature has to offer.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are some more recent photos of Lil' Red to give ya an idea of how she has changed so far. Still lots more wrenchin to do, but she's getting there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:16 AM

Bronco Info: 86 XLT 351 HO, Holley 650, 3" Exhaust, 6L Up, 265/75R16 Dirt Commanders, & 85 302 EFI, AOD, 6L Up
Garage
@lil red nice rig. I’ve got an 86 as well. Those are 35x12.5x15s? What’s on it for a lift? Any shots from the front, side, back sitting level?

Thanks man - look forward to watching your thread.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
itwasFREE!!!! and Lil' Red like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes 35x12.50-15. The life started as a Rough Country 6in Lift with drop down brackets for the radius arms, and blocks in the rear..... I've slowly been upgrading it with things like BDS extended radius arms, pro comp 6in lift rear springs, bilstein shocks all around and more that I will include as I add to this thread. I have some sitting level pics I will upload a little later to this comment.

@biggum this is the best I could find on my computer.....

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well once the Bronco was home, the first thing that needed fixed was an inline fusible link off the solenoid which fixed the starting issue. Shortly after, the starter went out, followed by an alternator not too long after; all within a few weeks. I was getting worried, as it was going downhill fast. But I quickly learned, that's how it works. It needed tires, so after a few weekends of working I scored a set of 31x10.50-15 cooper AT3s that had some sidewall damage from shipping, and were super cheap. Worked out perfect for me.

The next big step was body work on the front end. The driveside frontend had previously been in a little fender bender, which I later found out to be a solid hit which most likely was the cause of the crack in my frame. I pulled a hood, driverside fender and driver side headlight bezel off an 83' Bronco on Craigslist, then installed them over to mine. The new fender and hood had some minor dents, as did the original pass. fender. I filled in those dents and sanded them down, the primered the entire front end of the Bronco. I was doing it in stages as I was working out of the driveway and just wanted to tinker when I could. Here are some pics:

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
While the Ol' Captain seats sure are nice, mine were 30 years old and were worn out and ready to be replaced. Being a teen and on a budget, I got some seats off of EBay for a decent price, and they have done me well. They came with sliders and I was able to mount them directly to my original seat brackets. There are also a couple other little things you can see in the photo below. I cut out the old cracked and destroyed cup holders and added a switch panel, as well as a CB radio to the front of the center console. Plan on building a custom center console in the future, just taking my time to decide exactly what I want. Here are some pictures:

Original Seats; Passenger side was in good shape, driver side was down to the metal.

New Passanger side, original driver side

Final Product. Happy with how they turned out.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Next on the list was an attempt to stop an oil leak. Which to this day, the Bronco still leaks a new fluid everyday. New Valve Cover gaskets, upgraded Ford 4 hole fuel injectors, spark plugs, plug wires and all new gaskets on the intake system. Oh, and can't forget the paint, that adds the HP. I painted the valve covers a nice blue too but guess I didn't take any pis of that.

itwasFREE!!!! and Quader1 like this.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
After I got the Bronco running and driving, I attended my first ever AZ Bronco Club M&G, the first of many w/ @Quader1 , @itwasFREE!!!! , @White Dragon , @92bronco73 and @CainsBigRed . At 15 years old, just a few months before I was eligable to get my drivers permit. My dad drove the bronco the local gas station where we met, and then to the trail head, and I drove on the trails from there. Meeting some crazy Bronco guys and gals gave me a lot of motivation and ideas to keep on keepin on with my Bronco. It was a fairly easy run, but still plenty of bumper draggin and tire spinning for a stock Bronco. Primer patches and all.

itwasFREE!!!! and Quader1 like this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Next came the cool part. Time for some paint. I decided to go with a "Hot Rod Red" bedliner for the main color, and then a Black bedliner for the cap. "Hot Rod Red" it definitley was, they weren't joking. The bedliner was the "T-Rex" brand on Amazon. Very bright, and very good lookin'. I was very happy with how the paint turned out, and it seemed to make the truck a whole new vehicle. The job was fairly easy after all of the prep work and body work was done. The spraying process was near painless with one person to spray and one person to mix the paint to have paint ready to spray. If ya ever do spray in bed liner, just know, it goes everywhere.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Now that Lil' Red was rockin a cool paint job, I pickup up a set of 33´s off a Bronco Club member, and had them mounted. The tires were pretty old, and weren´t in the best shape, but had tread left on them. Old enough where Discount Tire didn´t want to touch them, but a quick trip to the South Side was all it took. It wasn´t one of my best purchases, but I was planning on lifting the Bronco soon, and it ended up working out in the end. The 33s gave it a little better look and some height.

Quader1 likes this.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
April 2017:

Being apart of the AZ Bronco Club was a bad influence on my wallet...... After seeing all of these sweet lifted Bronco´s crawling over rocks and waving tires at the camera, I knew that was what I wanted to build toward. As this Bronco project was self funded at 15 yrs old, I cheaped out and went with the Rough Country 6in lift. Blocks in the rear, radius arm drop down brackets and cheap shocks. It is the cheapest lift you can buy, but I was alright with that. This was the first time I had ever done any major suspension work in my life, so I learned many lessons, especially about rivets. I also installed new tie rods while I had it apart. Equipped with a Pittsburgh 225 pcs tool set and a few of my fathers tools; I setup shop in the driveway over the summer and wrenched away. Lots of Google, YouTube, and phone calls got the job done.

I convinced my neighbor too trade my set of worn 33s for a set of 35s with wheels he had on a Bronco in his yard. They got the job done, and I ran those tires until they didn´t have any more chunks to chunk. I had initally put a set of 2in spacers on with the lift, but they were removed eventually because it was a bit wider than what I wanted.

Quader1 and SRWillis like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode