• 1 Post By newageroman
  • 1 Post By newageroman
  • 1 Post By newageroman
  • 1 Post By newageroman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco XLT - Buck the Truck
Buck the Truck '78 Revival

More of a repair thread for now, but showing a little potential. My grandad's name was Buck.
It's a 78, with racetrack trim blue and grey, blue and black and white interior. 351, 4spd, np205, mostly original from what I can tell. Has been sitting in garage for a few years and got some funds earmarked from old uncle sam's loan(tax money).

Main culprit was leaky oil pan, low oil pressure. I thought it had a f'ed up oil pump. Tested that a couple weeks ago and was good, held good oil pressure so the revival continues. I'm just kicking myself now for waiting so long...

To avoid tank/fuel line issues, Ive been running a 2 gallon tank off the front bumper. Works well enough for test driving down the street. When I did run low on gas, it would sputter and BIG backfire through the carb. That blew the power valve and started the flooding. I've dealt with this in the past and had enough. I got a PV plug and put it in temporarily. I have to feather the throttle and be real gentle through it to the mains. After I get my fuel tank and lines worked out/tested out good, I'll put a new PV in.

Current issues:
  • drain plug leaks oil - Changed the oil and the drainplug still leaks and is stripped out fairly bad(not by me). I'm already using a nylon washer and oversized plug and still drips.
  • exhaust manifold leaks on passenger side - May be the collector, I dunno... I do know that those bolts are really old and rusty and I ain't touching them except with a can of PB blaster morning and night.
  • Throw out bearing squeals like a cameo in deliverance (I am really close to the TN boarder, but yeah its the clutch)
  • Drivers side floorpans rusted - have replacement pan, dont have welder

Since it was running off the bumper gas tank so well, I figured try to get the stock tank up and going in order to drive it to the shop to fix some other issues. Yesterday I put 5 gals in it and then about drained my battery with the stock lines hooked up and never got fuel. Today I tried siphoning off the front fuel line that goes to the fuel pump with one of those bulb syphons. Nothing... I hate to admit it, but I made sure no one was looking and sucked like a 10$ job and still nothing. OK.... traced the fuel line to the rear tank, tried siphoning off that lead and same thing, nothing. I was about ready to give up on it, but then got the air compressor, removed the fill cap and sprayed air into the tank line. Heard bubbles. OK, tried siphoning with the bulb and whallah Fuel from the tank! Hooked that line back up and then siphoned some from the front line as well. There were some rust flakes in the fuel, I drained it into a gas tank until I didn't see any more bad stuff and then hooked up the fuel pump. A few cranks over and he runs. Rode to the local station and put in 10 gallons and the fuel gauge didn't move. Actually it moved from past E to just on E, but I think it should show more full than E. I'll fix that down the road.

So... now I'm to the point of getting it to the local shop ~15 miles away and getting some long tube fender wells, new exhaust and oil pan on it. This truck will mostly be a fun weekend cruizer, with occasional trail/mud/hunting. I'm leaning toward fender well exits because its cheap and easy and will provide room/clearance to get at the drivetrain in the future ( did I mention the squealing throw out bearing). While at the shop, I'm also considering putting on a good oil pan, as I don't want this thing leaking oil like it has been. Somebody mentioned a helicoil for the drainplug, but I'm not sold on that idea.

Next ups are planned to be:
3G alternator - I already have a good one I snagged from the yard years ago - yes procrastinational hoarding pays off.
dual electirc fans - flexite most likely or something similar
4bbl intake
then EFI holly sniper and poly fuel tank

Anybody have experience/suggestions on fenderwells or oil pans, please chime in. I'm fairly noob at those. I am planning on getting an O2 bung welded in they system in prep for EFI. are o2 bungs universal as far as size/threads? I'm skipping the coating, and going to have them dump out before the rear tire.

Here's a few pics of the truck in its best days and a driveshaft I redid when I was bored, years ago (before marriage...)
Ohh, Also heres a pic of the fornt axle swap me and dad did after the jade greeen 78 got smashed by a white oak during tornado - now parts truck, but its about 100 miles away and full of snakes and wasps and rats...
Last one is my last day at crappy job in Montgomery..

Looking forward to banging the old 4 speed again! I'm always amazed at the stuff I see on here, it's quite inspiring I'm gonna steal a bun of your cheap fix ideas so beware.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bronco4.jpg (8.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg oldDS.jpg (49.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg newDS.jpg (55.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0644.jpg (823.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0551.jpg (687.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 0802140741.jpg (438.4 KB, 4 views)

Owner of Buck the Truck. My Build Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Ran it on the highway and has some carb issues (mid range throttle and WOT) in 3rd and 4th. It's good enough to get to the local shop to get headers done, so IDC. Will just prompt me to get EFI conversion done sooner.

I did break the gas tank strap bolts loose using a borrowed impact gun and a 3gal compressor - that was more of a chore than I thought. I'm going to replace the rusty bolts for now with new grade 8 so they will be easier to remove for the new poly tank and EFI pickup (soonish).

Talked to local shop to schedule removing the old manifolds and get the new exhaust installed. Scheduled shop time a couple weeks from now. Until then it will be a little general cleaning and trying to get the 3G alternator in (in preparation for dual elec fans).

Found potential good used 4bbl dual plane intake for $140.
79BroncoSpringTx and I6-Kid like this.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Look forward to seeing more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Replaced the old tank strap bolts with new ones in prep for poly tank/EFI. Well when I dropped just one end of one strap the forward drivers side, the strap separated from the tank and slow fuel leak started to form. Great, more motivation... It was a pain mostly because the PO has installed a towbar and holding a wrench on the top of the old bolts while impacting from the underside was not easy. I ended up using a wood dowel shoved into a hole on the underside of the body to keep the top end wrench from spinning.

Looking at the old straps vs the newer ones on JBG, the older ones look much beefier. I am now thinking I will blast them and repaint/reuse them.

Took my scrap alternator to the Auto parts store and they confirmed it was still good. I was missing some connectors, but got them today, so there is a slight possibility of the 3G going in this weekend. If that happens the dual fans will be ordered/installed stat.

Was going to adjust my drum brakes, but I have lost my old bottle jack. Time to go to a CVS, find a dirt rag, rip the HF 20% coupon out and head to Chinese wonderland...

BONUS: rear window still works with the key on the rear panel. I don't think it works from the switch though. Good to know that won't be a total overhaul.
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

halfway through the 3G alt install. Need longer mounting bolt for the bottom ear and a spacer washer under the pulley. the Vbelt pulley was a pain to get off and is still stuck on there. Luckily I snagged another alternator off the old parts bronco a while back and that one came off lickety split in spite of it being much more rusty looking.

Was looking at the wiring side and of course the local shop didn't have the mega fuse holder and some other stuff I needed. returned home dejected. started cleaning up the garage and went through all my old parts. and found the fuse holder, fuse, 4ga. power wire and bunch of other stuff I forgot I had. Hoping to finish today, we will see.

Also found some green rear armrest and an ashtray that I wont need (scavanged off the old parts truck years ago). I'm hoping the spicer joing caps will smooth out enough to be a good spare.

Talked to my dad and he said he has a spare 94 taurus fan so might see about using that.

Lastly found some inspiring items while cleaning the cab and looking for parts. I never can seem to care/remember to comb my hair even today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3gAltParts.jpg (82.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg inspiringMemeorbilia.jpg (50.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg found-NOS-parts.jpg (53.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg spicerJoint.jpg (59.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg greenArmrests-(2).jpg (62.3 KB, 0 views)

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Finished the 3G install - I have a few questions that I posted in this 3G alternator thread: https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ml#post7195248

Mainly, the voltage seems a little low, is this normal? I didn't have a before test run/voltage numbers.

The 175AMP fuse will be switched to a 150 - local only had 175.

So glad to be gone with that voltage regulator mess on the firewall, this is so much cleaner, less rats nest...
Best lesson for today - I friggin love how 3 layers of heat shrink tubing hides bubba'ed up solder joints...

Assuming this setup is GTG I'm off to research Taurus fans and flexlite dual fan kits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg testing3Galt.jpg (88.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg soldering.jpg (120.8 KB, 0 views)

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Had some problems running a little hot, so checked the radiator today. Coolant that was in there looked nice and green, no sludge or flakes. Put a water hose down the top and seemed to flow well, no issues. Going to try a 180 thermostat tomorrow. Got a used 4 bbl intake on the way for decent price. Sprayed more pb blaster on the exhaust bolts in prep for the shop to remove those.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Tested the water pump today and that is GTG so I went ahead and tried installing a 180 deg. thermostat. It was a comedy show. I cleaned the housing really good, new gasket and thought I sealed it up good.

Filled the radiator with coolant and distilled water to the top, started the truck. Idled for about 15 mins, up to 190. I was looking for the thermostat to open up and gulp some coolant down, but that never did happen. I think it may have been because the engine already had coolant in the block (I remember seeing coolant when changing the themostat). Oh well, must be good, off for a test drive...

Usual loop around the neighborhood, temp stayed about 190/200 ish. Went to the local gas station for celebratory beers. My good times celebration ended when I opened the door on the way out of the gas station to see a green puddle under the truck. Crap, just get home... nope, was hot around 210 and wouldn't start. Had to let him sit for about 10 mins just to get started. Got home and decided to save the beers for when the problem is actually resolved.

When removing the old thermostat, I noticed there was a gasket as well as gasket sealer. I didn't use gasket sealer, I guess I should have. Live and learn. Is it normal procedure to use gasket AND gasket sealer on a thermostat housing? I torqued the bolts pretty tight, but not overly tight.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Took another stab at the thermostat leaking and got that fixed. New gasket with sealer on both sides = no leaks.

Swapped the 175A mega fuse for a 150A from recent 3G upgrade.

Craigslist Eldlebrock 4 bbl intake came yesterday, looks recently blasted or barely used. Need to paint it and get gaskets for it.

Ordered fenderwell headers and glasspacks for upcoming trip to shop to remove the stock manifolds and old exhaust system. I can't freaking wait. Should be shop bound by Tuesday next week.

Was going to have them change the oilpan as well, but that was when I figured I could just order a stock one for $79 from anywhere. Well finding a rear sump pan for these is motors has been challenging, the only ones I could find were +$350, so screw that for now. I have ordered the eco-plug for steel pans from amazon, and hopefully that will fix my problem and save tons of $$$ - but we will see... My other alternative for oilpan is to pull/swap from the parts truck. But I don't have it directly accessible at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode