Orey Gets Stroked - Want2BS8ed's 1993 Bronco Build - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:25 PM
aka: kemicalburns

Bronco Info: 94 357/E4OD - ProC 6" stageII, 37"STT Pro, f/R 4.88's, Front Aussie, HS9500, sliders
Garage
take this time to replace the battery cables, starter cable, paint/clean the cross member etc... Having the engine bay clean will really help when stabbing the motor
Want2BS8ed likes this.

94 5.8/E4OD Edelbrock efi intake, jba headers, transgo shift kit. 6" PC stage II, 4.88 gears, front Aussie. Warn HS9500, custom bumper and sliders. RedHead steering and TieRod flip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 5.0L, E4OD, Bassani headers/exhaust, factory tow pkg. & 31x10.5-15’s on USMag 5 slots
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisITGuy View Post
take this time to replace the battery cables, starter cable, paint/clean the cross member etc... Having the engine bay clean will really help when stabbing the motor

Thanks @TravisITGuy . Is POR-15's 3-step the recommendation or a single step converter for hitting the cross member?

Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Build Thread: Orey Gets Stroked
“It doesn’t need to run like a raped ape... a mildly violated monkey would be fine.”
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 5.0L, E4OD, Bassani headers/exhaust, factory tow pkg. & 31x10.5-15’s on USMag 5 slots
Garage
...not even going to have an ETA on shipping until Sunday... <sigh>

Hopefully will get the first round of pictures tomorrow though.

“It doesn’t need to run like a raped ape... a mildly violated monkey would be fine.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Couple pictures of the rotating assembly...

...that's all for now. Hopefully an update on ETA tomorrow.
cobrajoe and d_rock like this.

post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage

ugghh... assembly has not even started.

Builder hopes to ship next week. Waiting on final freight estimate from Rhode Island to Virginia to figure out just how late.

Really down about the delay. Had expected to be dealing with the install this week and gave up a paying gig to be in town... enough scratch to have paid for the engine

post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Latest word, engine is supposed to be here by Thursday of next week.

Meanwhile, coat of high-heat paint on a pair of BGY Extreme Duty Poly Motor Mounts just came out of the oven. I’ll snap some pictures tomorrow once they are reassembled.

Really like these and the fact they are rebuildable. Wonder if I could find red poly bushings? That would look cool...

Also picked up a new dipstick, dipstick tube and thermostat housing - all NOS Ford parts. Orey has little rust, but oddly the dipstick is in rough shape
Rusty in Wis likes this.

post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Here is to hoping this is the LAST time I drain oil from the air filter...

Cheers!!!

post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 PM

Bronco Info: '87 Bronco/'96 front clip & '94 Centurion C350
So... while we are all waiting... how is the engine bay coming? Perhaps sharing the menial work will inspire some of us... and maybe pass the time.

BTW, what paint did you use on the intake? I may have to get some of that for other bits in by engine compartment.

You can't fix stupid...
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawson2000 View Post
So... while we are all waiting... how is the engine bay coming? Perhaps sharing the menial work will inspire some of us... and maybe pass the time.
I know, right? The wait is killing me as well! I’m still driving the truck, so won’t have access to do much. Fortunately the engine bay is in reasonably decent shape.

If it helps, here’s a quick shot of the engine mounts coming out of the oven...

I thought about going through and posting up everything I’ve done on the truck in the past year, but all I really have are a bunch of photos of me flipping off old parts that have been pulled: sixlitre tune, vacuum lines, steering wheel, heater core, head lights, grill, door felts, window motors, door locks, shocks, springs, wheels, drive shaft, stereo, CB and just about every sensor under the hood and who knows how much else... wait I replaced a taillight bulb yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawson2000 View Post
BTW, what paint did you use on the intake? I may have to get some of that for other bits in by engine compartment.

Little reluctant to pass this along, but the builder sent me this picture:

It’s not high-temp paint, but it’s what he used on the lower. I like the color (a lot) and it laid down beautifully over an etching primer when I did the upper. Just not certain how it’s going to hold up. Time will tell if VHT’s Nu-Cast Aluminum (SP995) would have been a better choice.

post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:13 AM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
That will be fine; I've painted many motors with automotive base coat-clear coat to match the vehicles exterior and it has held up well. You really only need the high heat for the exhaust manifolds, etc...
Want2BS8ed likes this.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajoe View Post
That will be fine; I've painted many motors with automotive base coat-clear coat to match the vehicles exterior and it has held up well. You really only need the high heat for the exhaust manifolds, etc...

Thanks @cobrajoe . Good to hear. Matte Nickel Metallic isn't a color I would have thought to even try, but I'm pleased how it turned out.

Off to pick-up break-in oil and filters...

cobrajoe likes this.

post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Not how I expected this trip to go...

post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:06 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Rut roh, how the hell did that happen?
Want2BS8ed likes this.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:11 PM

Bronco Info: 95 XLT, 351W, E4OD
And that's why they call it a "Skid Plate"!
Want2BS8ed likes this.

Fix it, or fix it so someone has to!
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doosenberry View Post
Rut roh, how the hell did that happen?
Somebody screwed up...

When I bought the truck almost a year ago, part of the deal was having the fuel pump replaced.

Of the 8 bolts and nuts that mount the tank and skid plate to the frame, the 4 center bolts were missing entirely. 3 of the 4 outer bolts were missing there nuts and the 4th nut was loose - so loose it fell off when the Bronco was pulled on the roll back.

Coincidence? No and the shop I purchased the truck from didn't think so either.

Frustrating that it happened, but I have to give credit to them for owning it. I'm down only the time and hassle, but no $$$.

Fuel filler hose split when winching the truck off the wrecker. Shop was unable to source a universal hose locally that would fit.

Lower hose is obsolete with FoMoCo, but LMC has it (and oddly cheaper than JBG).

Should have the truck back early next week. Just in time for the engine swap...

Whew... @slawson2000 , not my idea of passing the time while waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus View Post
And that's why they call it a "Skid Plate"!

Yep! Pretty sure it wasn't Ford's intent, but I'm not complaining!!

post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:46 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2BS8ed View Post
Somebody screwed up...
Sounds like they didn't screw it up, literally. lol

I was gonna say, I replaced my tank and skid plate and I put on new hardware and there's no way that mine would come off like that having all those bolts in it. At least it's being taken care of!
Want2BS8ed likes this.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Engine Break In Oil

Who knew choosing oil could be so complicated... something to pass the time while we wait on the engine to ship and parts from LMC.

When asked about oil, builder replied “15-40 diesel oil, has everything good in it for break in”.

I like the answer. Traditional , common-sense, no weird additives and a recommendation you see fairly often even for flat-tappet cams. Fortunately with the roller cam going into the Bronco, there is less concern for wear during initial startup and break in which makes this choice even better.

Ah, this is where a “Type A” personality makes things difficult: which 15w40? Common recommendations in the past were Shell Rotella T and Chevron DELO 400. That was 2 years ago before the API superseded their CJ-4 standard with CK-4 reducing phosphorus (and zinc) - the good stuff that prevented high pressure wear on things like flat tappets. Even Ford had a hissey fit about excessive wear and created their own standard.

Thanks go out to @Labnerd91EB and the discussion here https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...r-engines.html. Not only incredibly informative, it provides a link to The Petroleum Quality Institute of America, that gives independent, comparable data to base a decision on.

I know it will disappoint some, no spread sheet, but Ford Superduty Formula 15w40 Diesel Motor Oil retains more of the “good in it for break in” than any of the current crop of diesel oils. It’s not inexpensive at $30 for 5-quarts... unless you pick it up at Walmart for $18.36! $3.97 for a tried and true Motorcraft FL-1a filter? Picked-up a few of those as well...

Less than a week to go. Meanwhile, still looking into post-break in conventional oils and wether I’ll stick with conventional or switch to synthetic at 6,000 miles.

post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Few photos from the builder this evening...

Got the truck back earlier this evening. Glad that's done and stoked with the engine progress.

dash_cam and d_rock like this.

post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Orey Gets Stroked - Want2BS8ed's 1993 Bronco Build

Just crawled under the truck. Holy cow... doesn't look like those bolts are coming off anytime soon!! LOL

Probably should crawl back under there and hit 'em with some Rust-Oleum just to keep them from rusting.

EDIT 8/17: nah, going to do it right and replace with the correct grade 8 bolts and shoulder nuts.
youngDUMP likes this.

post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:39 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
Nice, a true double roller timing chain too.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode