Orey Gets Stroked - Want2BS8ed's 1993 Bronco Build - Ford Bronco Forum
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 5.0L, E4OD, Bassani headers/exhaust, factory tow pkg. & 31x10.5-15’s on USMag 5 slots
Garage
Orey Gets Stroked - Want2BS8ed's 1993 Bronco Build

I blame this (entirely) on my son's old Scoutmaster.

It started with one of this typically dumb conversations: "wouldn't it be cool to drive 2,500 miles from Virginia to New Mexico, then 2,500 miles off-road along the Great Continental Divide to Montana and ending with a 2,300 mile return trip to Virginia?" "We'd need trucks." ...and so it began "The Trip"...

Little did I know just a few days later, I'd find Orenthal being rolled out for sale. Right place, right time - I consider it fate. Certainly wasn't looking (we make grandiose plans all the time and never act on them) and definitely didn't plan on Orey becoming my daily, but here we are...

Solid body, 148k miles, suspension/steering sound, AC, cruise control, rear window all worked, rough idle, mild vibration at speed, transmission showed some signs of abuse, exhaust a little long in the tooth, and some early signs of blow by but everything serviceable. Oh, and I paid a lot less than the sticker price!!

Next: First Steps and A Mistake
dash_cam, SRWillis, I6-Kid and 2 others like this.

My Build Thread: Orey Gets Stroked
“It doesn’t need to run like a raped ape... a mildly violated monkey would be fine.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 5.0L, E4OD, Bassani headers/exhaust, factory tow pkg. & 31x10.5-15’s on USMag 5 slots
Garage
First Steps and A Mistake

Assuming another good 50k left on the motor and given "The Trip", was happy the 302 was a good compromise between 'gitty-up-and-go, highway gas mileage and light off-road grunt... and that is where I messed up.

Being somewhat old school in thinking a freer breathing engine is always better and knowing the exhaust needed to be replaced, on went a Bassani exhaust including equal length shorty headers, y-pipe, highflow cat, etc.

So far still OK, but shortly thereafter the oil pump dumped. The replacement showed the blow by to be substantially worse than originally thought. Bad enough that an air-oil separator/catch can was installed and pulls 4 to 6 oz. of oil out at every fill-up. And it smells... bad. Like semi-burned fuel bad.

It's time to accelerate the rebuild. 6 months of hemming, of hawing, of kibitzing - and draining the catch can. Absolute 'paralysis by analysis'!

Because of the headers and y-pipe, I needed to stay with a 302 block and stock exhaust ports and plug angles. My thoughts were leaning towards new intake, freer flowing heads (GT40, AFR, etc.) and a torquer RV cam. I wanted a moderate increase in performance and efficiency, without dropping $10k on and engine

Contemplated a 351 swap, but if I was going to toss the $3k spent on the Bassani Exhaust and hassle with swapping computers or a MAF conversion, then I was dropping in a 460, but that didn't make sense given needed gas mileage on "The Trip".

While having the vibration problem checked at a local shop I was telling my tale and was given the number for a Ford rebuilder up in Rhode Island. Finally! Someone who understood this wasn't a Mustang and torque reigns supreme.

Next up: Conversation with the Builder.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Conversation with the Builder

This is pretty much how it went...

Me: I have this Bronco with really bad blow by...

Builder: Happens all the time. Likely fuel injector(s).

Me: Fuel injectors?

Builder: Yep. Fuel injector gets clogged. Leans out a cylinder, over heats tearing up rings and cylinder walls. What are you looking for?

Me: I'm thinking a mild 302 build, RV cam, heads, Edelbrock intake, BBK throttle body...

Builder: Stick with your existing truck intake and throttle body. They actually flow well. What are you looking to do with the truck?

Me: Well, have this crazy trip planned...

Builder: Stroke it. 347.

Me: What? Hadn't expected that. You recommend stroking it?

Builder: Sure. Greater displacement and longer stroke means more bottom end torque. Exactly what you want in a truck.

Me: Wait, this is a Speed Density truck. I don't want the hassle of a MAF conversion.

Builder: Don't need to. Magic Sauce is in the cam. When done you'll not only get better performance, but better fuel mileage as well.

Me: This is heresy. I've been told it can't be done without swapping computers, a MAF conversion, dyno tuning, or all 3. Surely something else needs to be done.

Builder: No, not really. The engine will need more fuel, so an adjustable fuel pressure regulator at a minimum and 24lb injectors wouldn't hurt. That's it.

I've paraphrased, however that conversation was held several times with the same conclusion. It certainly doesn't appear popular, but the more I researched and the more folks I spoke with the more possible it became. There's even a cadre if folks that prefer SD for its faster response time.

Is it ideal? I don't know.

Will it work? I have satisfied myself and am cautiously optimistic it will.

Worst case? Fiveology racing is on speed dial! Better gas mileage from sequential firing vs batch firing won't hurt either. In the end, I'll have lost nothing other than the opportunity to put a slightly more aggressive cam in.

Next: Details of the build.
dash_cam, SRWillis, d_rock and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Details of the Build

Builder:
CREB Engineering*
290 Sherman Farm Rd
Harrisville, RI 02830
Creb Engineering

Installer:
4-Wheel Drive Specialty Co.
7710 West Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23294
4-Wheel Drive Specialty

Build Sheet 347ci Ford Competition Small Block

Cylinder Heads are Ford Iron GT40 heads:*
Original Ford GT 40 heads (not GT40P’s) with 3 angle valve job, semi short side port work for improved bottom end torque, and new valves and springs
q*62cc Chamber
q*1.840*In valves
q*1.560 Ex valves
q*5/16 rocker bolts
q*7*degree keepers
q*1.440*valve springs

347 Ford Engine Block:
q*Ford Roller Block
q*Block square decked
q*Block line honed
q*Block square bored and honed with honing plates
q*Engine trial assembled twice
q*Lifter bores honed
Competition 347ci Ford Parts List Break Down:
q*True*forged Wesco .030 pistons
q*.030 Filt Fit Moly Rings
q*5140*Steel 28oz 3.400 stroke crank
q*Engine is 28oz balanced
q*Set of Scat SIR floated *rods 5.400 length
q*Rear Sump oil pan
q*Clev 77 or King large radius Main and rod bearings
q*Seal Power cam bearings
q*Brass Freeze Plugs
q*Set of New Hyd. Roller Lifters
q*Cam plate and bolts
q*Lifter tray and hold downs
q*Melling oil pump and drive
q*Melling pickup
q*New*ARP main and head bolts
q*Complete gasket set
q*Felpro *head gaskets
q*Oil and Filter
q*Double Roller timing set
q*RV cam 475 lift dur at 50
q*F.O. 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
q*4 bolt Harmonic balancer
q*Set of Chrome moly Push*rods
q*New Aluminum Timing Cover
q*1.7 Roller Rockers
q*SFI Flex plate

...and one of my favorite parts,
Color: VHT p/n SP153 Old Ford Blue

Going retro!

Next: Additional Parts Purchased
dash_cam, SRWillis and BroncMom like this.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:56 PM

Bronco Info: No Bronco. 1993 F150 XLT Four Wheel 2.5" Lift
Garage
Don't understand his logic of better gas mileage. I have trouble with just a small cam trying to get the computer to run with it. I don't have the MAF I have the MAP and been toying with switching to MAF. I've looked for dynos round my area, before toying with the MAF idea, and none will do 1993 F150/Bronco - yet they will do a Mustang of that year.
Want2BS8ed likes this.

“The greatest Danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:37 PM

Bronco Info: '87 Bronco/'96 front clip & '94 Centurion C350
Interesting. Would you have done the 351 swap if you had not already done the exhaust?

I am in a similar boat. I am on my 2nd 302. This is a 5.0HO with an extruded intake, headers, exhaust. This one is giving up the ship at 150k miles. I need more torque out here for long grades at speed. Seems like a lot to do to get basically a 351.

It does sound cool though.
Want2BS8ed likes this.

You can't fix stupid...
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueO View Post
Don't understand his logic of better gas mileage. I have trouble with just a small cam trying to get the computer to run with it. I don't have the MAF I have the MAP and been toying with switching to MAF. I've looked for dynos round my area, before toying with the MAF idea, and none will do 1993 F150/Bronco - yet they will do a Mustang of that year.

I didn’t really appreciate it at first either and at 11.5 MPG anything’s an improvement!

Someone (other than the builder) explained it to me this way: Speed Density (or MAP) uses simple tables - “if this then do that.” As long as you keep it within a certain range everything works.

MAF is much more sophisticated with its ability to test conditions on the front end and back end - “if this, this, and this then do that.” It’s not that it’s better it just broadens the range everything works in.

As it was explained to me, the SD is actually faster (fewer decisions to make) and as long as a demand is met it doesn’t know there is more air or fuel going through the engine, hence the reason for more fuel to match the increased air intake.

As far as a a dyno - no matter what’s done, a dyno tune will likely be an improvement (even on a stock motor), but as I understand so long as the MAF sensor, fuel injectors and computer are reasonably matched, they will play together and not necessarily need a tune.

Never done it, but will certainly know (assuming everything stays on schedule) in a month!
TorqueO likes this.

“It doesn’t need to run like a raped ape... a mildly violated monkey would be fine.”
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawson2000 View Post
Interesting. Would you have done the 351 swap if you had not already done the exhaust?

I am in a similar boat. I am on my 2nd 302. This is a 5.0HO with an extruded intake, headers, exhaust. This one is giving up the ship at 150k miles. I need more torque out here for long grades at speed. Seems like a lot to do to get basically a 351.

It does sound cool though.

Yes, I would have! Then probably debated if it would be rebuilt stock, with freer flowing heads or stroked. 427 certainly has nice ring to it...

...seriously though, yes a 351. Just to alleviate the additional stress on a stroked motor.

post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage

Just a quick list for the time being. I’ll expand in future posts with specifics on the what and why. I’ll also update as things move along to help others who find themselves in the same boat in the future.

Things I have replaced in the last year that I would have included in a rebuild if they weren’t already fairly new:

q Rotor

q Cap

q Wires

q Coil

q Upgraded battery cables (1/0 pos. & neg.)

q New silicone vacuum lines

q TPS

q IAC

q MAP sensor
q O2 sensor

New Items:

q Fuel injectors

q Adjustable fuel pressure regulator (FPR)

q Radiator

q Water pump
q Thermostat

q New Hoses

q Plugs

q Accessory belt

q Oil pressure sending unit

q Coolant temperature sensor

q Intake air temperature sensor

Next: Part Choices and Explanations

EDIT: 7/26 added O2 sensor and thermostat

post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage

Decision, decisions, decisions... the following is a bit of what, where and why on the major components other than the engine

Radiator

What: Carquest Part No. 432183 Super Duty Cooling Radiator
Where: Advance Auto
Why: Existing radiator is nasty, so replacing it was cheap insurance against contaminating the new engine. Debated long about moving up to a 4-row aluminum radiator and electric fans. Given cost and complication, ended up sticking with a stock 2-row with a high flow water pump. Even with using a coupon, I still ended up paying $20 more than Rockauto, but felt the cost was justified in avoiding shipping damage and getting a lifetime warranty that was only a few miles away if a claim was ever needed.

Water Pump

What: FlowKooler 1656 1987-1996 Small Block Ford Truck 302 351 CCW water pump
Where: direct from FlowKooler
Why: It fits and will hopefully provide an additional margin for cooling. I went ahead and picked up a Robertshaw 195° thermostat as well.
Note: this was the first item ordered after the engine - almost a week before other parts - and was the last received. What is it with California? FlowKooler sat on it a week before sending Priority Mail and the the Post Office out there sat on it for another week...

Fuel Injectors

What: Accel Fuel Injectors - 24 LB/HR - EV1 Part No. 150824
Where: Advance Auto
Why: Outside of the engine, this was the most expensive purchase. Uncomfortable purchasing remanufactured injectors. Ford Performance sells 24lb injectors, but they use an adapter to fit the Bronco’s EV1 plugs. Read several reviews wher3 folks had problems with those. Choice really came down to Accel or Trickflow. A $50 off coupon at Advance made that decision.
Note: These were drop shipped directly from Holley.

Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)

What: Kirban EN4510 1986-1993 Ford Mustang 5.0 Liter 302 EFI Billet Injected Fuel Pressure Regulator
Where: Yates Performance
Why: Probably more consternation here than any other single component. There are lots of choices in a broad range of prices. BBK was out because it’s not rebuildable. It really came down to a choice between Aeromotive or Kirban because they both fit the stock 5.0l fuel rail. The Kirban was the cheaper of the two and had good reviews. It also looked the closest to a stock FPR.
Note: Yates Performance was johnny-on-the-spot. Not only were they the cheapest source I could find, they had he FPR out the door within an hour of placing the order!

Hoses

What: Summit Racing Radiator Hose Kit SUM-390208
Where: Summit Racing
Why: They’re blue!

Accessory Belt, Spark Plugs and Sensors
What: Motorcraft where available otherwise the cheapest that didn’t have horrible reviews
Where: Summit Racing
Why: Convenience and surprisingly they were competitive on the few Motorcraft parts beating out my usual go to: Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
curtwow likes this.

post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Two weeks down, two weeks to go until the engine arrives. I hate waiting.

Mission creep has started. I bought my first bling yesterday...

Motorcraft M-6582-A351R Aluminum Valve Covers

Should look good against the darker Ford blue the engine is coming in and these have the correct lower deck height to fit under a truck intake. Would have preferred Bronco script, but they were to tall.

Beats the snot out of heading to the junkyard and pulling, stripping and repainting stamped steel originals or trying to coordinate with the installer to do the same while they have the truck. Plus, I really like the black crinkle with brushed aluminum look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kammots, cobrajoe and Doosenberry like this.

post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:48 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
I'm curious to see how the 347 turns out. I've been considering one for my truck as it has a 302 in it and I'm on the fence on a couple of engine choices, one being a 347 so I can keep it appearing factory, but obviously getting a jump in ponies.

Collecting shiny parts is fun isn't it?

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:44 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer
Garage
I was in a similar situation I have gone from 302 maf to 351 maf and cause a well bent connecting rod it is now going to a 393 look forward to hearing more about your build.
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
Have a spreadsheet for this, don't you?
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_cam View Post
Have a spreadsheet for this, don't you?

Maybe... just a little one.

dash_cam likes this.

post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:44 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
I'm curious to how this works out as well; I built a zero clearance 347 stroker for my Daytona Coupe years ago and I must say, it went like a raped ape. I went MAF w/ 36 lb injectors and a Holley Systemax intake, when I put it on the Dyno, the tune was actually fine. This was in a less than 2,000 lb vehicle not a truck, so anxious to see the results.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Looking forward to getting it dropped in as well.

Builder sent the first teaser today... refreshed lower intake:

post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
What a monumental pain in the rear... builder didn't have an upper plenum (don't ask), so trotted off to the pick-n-pull today.

The T40 Torx bit I had was just 'that' much to big to fit under the plenum. Pulled brackets, fuel rails, you name it to get in there... finally, out of frustration, stuck a long handled slotted screw driver through the plenum - bolt rolled on out without any fuss. Where was that 45 minutes earlier!!!

Clearly the upper intake had been off this truck recently making things easier - once figured out of course.

Plenum came from a '95 so PCV reroute is already done. Off to a local machine shop to get it dipped tomorrow... and to pickup a smaller Torx bit!

cobrajoe and Doosenberry like this.

post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:22 PM

Bronco Info: '87 Bronco/'96 front clip & '94 Centurion C350
??? I thought you were just getting a long block? Why are you not using the ones on your truck?

You can't fix stupid...
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawson2000 View Post
??? I thought you were just getting a long block? Why are you not using the ones on your truck?

Timing. Explained here when trying to locate casting number...

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/#/topics/505892

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode