35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:31 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPriority View Post
Plus love the extra engine compartment space to do other work.
I love this as well. It makes working in the bay a lot easier.
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:32 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Well my fans are fixing to get tested for sure finally. My BKO sat most of last year but she's back on the road here lately. Driving her a bit more slowly. Plans are to keep driving her more. It hit 80 today so summer is right around the corner. I bought an indicator light I plan to install in the cabin so I will know when the fan is running. Also have parts to install manual fan on. My Flexlite does run after engine shutoff. Sorry @schwim to hear yours failed. I do believe this is a better setup than the old manual fan. Schwim you do have a 3G alternator upgrade correct?
allcruisen likes this.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BroncoSpringTx View Post
Schwim you do have a 3G alternator upgrade correct?
I do. I initially tried to run the fans with the stock alt and that went comically bad. I'm really looking forward to see how my setup works with each fan on a separate controller. I think it's going to work much better.
allcruisen and CrazyBRONCOguy like this.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:33 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
Yeah @79BroncoSpringTx the one I have installed on my 95 Bronco also runs for about a minute or two after shutdown... I also have a switch to turn the fan on manually as well as an indicator light inside the cab...

Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:04 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcruisen View Post
Yeah @79BroncoSpringTx the one I have installed on my 95 Bronco also runs for about a minute or two after shutdown... I also have a switch to turn the fan on manually as well as an indicator light inside the cab...

Allcruisen
So hows the light and manual override working? I would think it would be good. i'm actually tempted to install and additional set of gauges that were originally in the bronco. A manual set. Then i could compare them to my Dakota Digital gauges.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:19 PM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BroncoSpringTx View Post
So hows the light and manual override working?
I'll get some pictures tomorrow... It works out great... I have dual fans, one for the AC and the cooling fan actually is a two speed fan. The controller works the low speed and auto off and the switch inside the cab runs the high speed...

PS This is on my 95, My sons 79 had a two speed single fan from a Taurus inside the OEM Fan shroud...

Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:28 PM
OX1
Fullsize Member

Did someone say redundancy, how about dual "tortus" fans

and soft start controller.

79 XLT, 400/C6/MOG 404's/43 SX STICKIES, 8.5" lift.
79 XLT, 400/C6/D60-D44 8 lug, 2" lift, 35 BFG AT
74 Bronc build, 408/C6/Black Box/205/406 mogs/43 SX stickies

post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:38 PM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

@OX1 , If those are Taurus fans then that is not what I installed in my son's '79. Might of been out of a Lincoln ???

@79BroncoSpringTx , as mentioned yesterday here are the pictures of my switch and the LED light that lets me know the fan is on {auto} or by me hitting the switch.

Hope this helps,
Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:53 PM

Bronco Info: '79 Custom
Yep, if it was me, I would be getting a Taurus or Volvo fan. Volvo has a sweet two speed relay setup that comes stock on their vehicles. You snag that relay setup and the fan, all you need is a way to trigger the relays. For that, I would use a BMW e36 318i coolant temp sensor. All you do is wire the power to the battery directly, hit a ground, then use the BMW coolant temp sensor to trigger the hi/lo relay setup.

Here is a great write up! https://www.therangerstation.com/tec...tric_fan.shtml

This way, it runs automatically.

1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
1997 Toyota 4Runner (locked) - Sold but close to me
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:00 AM

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco XLT - Buck the Truck
Ok, jumping in this thread if you guys don't mind. My 78 has analog temp gauge off the thermostat housing, no fan shroud, old radiator etc and running hot while just moseying around the neighborhood. I am hoping to finish the 3G alt upgrade this afternoon.

I *was leaning toward a dual flexlite fan kit - similar to 79Broc springTX installed in his build - look super clean. But, I still have stock old radiator, AND just spoke to my dad who said he thinks he has a 94 taurus fan laying around the house somewhere = free. I am planning to eventually go Holley sniper and have whatever fans controlled by it, but do like the thought of maunal override and indicator light(s). If I could get the first stage turned on at ~180/185 using lower rad hose sensor and then have a manual switch for high - for now at least , id be good with that.

So pls school me on taurus fans, are they all 2 speed? What years? Should I snag the relays that run the fans on it as well and try to use them? Any threads to point me to. Thx, and sorry to hijack, but seemed related. thx.

Owner of Buck the Truck. My Build Page
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 PM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newageroman View Post
Ok, jumping in this thread if you guys don't mind. My 78 has analog temp gauge off the thermostat housing, no fan shroud, old radiator etc and running hot while just moseying around the neighborhood. I am hoping to finish the 3G alt upgrade this afternoon.

I *was leaning toward a dual flexlite fan kit - similar to 79Broc springTX installed in his build - look super clean. But, I still have stock old radiator, AND just spoke to my dad who said he thinks he has a 94 taurus fan laying around the house somewhere = free. I am planning to eventually go Holley sniper and have whatever fans controlled by it, but do like the thought of maunal override and indicator light(s). If I could get the first stage turned on at ~180/185 using lower rad hose sensor and then have a manual switch for high - for now at least , id be good with that.

So pls school me on taurus fans, are they all 2 speed? What years? Should I snag the relays that run the fans on it as well and try to use them? Any threads to point me to. Thx, and sorry to hijack, but seemed related. thx.
before you go reinventing the wheel
make sure the cooling system is up to snuff
if rad is old ,shitty and has poor cooling ability,all the fans in the world wont help it

if rad is old or original and suspect,replace it with a quality one for the application(not a $98 similar supposed to fit unit from ebay)

I prefer copper /brass and I had 4 core made for my 78 and was still working well 25yrs later when I sold truck last year! and never had a cooling issue with that truck ,even with NO cooling fan 5 months of the year ,or when I ran a 16'' universal electric fan up against the rad with no other shroud.
I am not a fan of aluminum rads in our trucks
I hear more people have cooling issues with them than not
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:14 PM

I flushed out the radiator today. The coolant was almost all nice and green. The fins look good, it doesn't leak, it looks non-original, but in good condition. Ran a water hose in the top and it seemed to flow well, so I think my problem lies elsewhere. I'm going to try one of the Advanced Auto 180 thermostats that was mentioned in another thread tomorrow.

post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:54 PM
OX1
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcruisen View Post
@OX1 , If those are Taurus fans then that is not what I installed in my son's '79. Might of been out of a Lincoln ???

I have a Lincoln Mk VIII fan and the shrouding is significantly larger, but the fan is close.
I believe the Mk VIII is a bit more CFM than the Tortus, but dual Tortus is so crazy
(CFM wise) over the top for most people. It works great when you are sitting on an obstacle and
banging against that converter, spewing heat like crazy for many minutes.
allcruisen likes this.

79 XLT, 400/C6/MOG 404's/43 SX STICKIES, 8.5" lift.
79 XLT, 400/C6/D60-D44 8 lug, 2" lift, 35 BFG AT
74 Bronc build, 408/C6/Black Box/205/406 mogs/43 SX stickies

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:44 PM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
I have a Lincoln Mk VIII fan and the shrouding is significantly larger, but the fan is close.
OK, I are confused. Are both your fans the same? The one on the passenger side looks more of watt I had installed in my son's 79.

Is that one on the passenger side a two speed fan ?

Thanks,
Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:46 PM
September 15 FOTM

Bronco Info: 1978 bronco 351 c6
Garage
20181021_135952 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

20181021_151035 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

dual fans from a ford windstar fit these radiators almost perfect. im using a variable speed flex a lite controller for these, and have a manual on and manual off toggle switch to override the automatic controller if needed. keeps my truck cool

1992 f250 turbo intercooled idi ~ D.D./work truck
1978 bronco "grits"~ trail truck
1984 f350 with sleeper "The Rig"
1995 red xlt sport! with 351 ~ Sold
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:47 PM
September 15 FOTM

Bronco Info: 1978 bronco 351 c6
Garage
20181021_135952 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

20181021_151035 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

dual fans from a ford windstar fit these radiators almost perfect. im using a variable speed flex a lite controller for these, and have a manual on and manual off toggle switch to override the automatic controller if needed. keeps my truck cool

1992 f250 turbo intercooled idi ~ D.D./work truck
1978 bronco "grits"~ trail truck
1984 f350 with sleeper "The Rig"
1995 red xlt sport! with 351 ~ Sold
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM

That looks great! I've read about the dual windstar fans in older threads.

Which flexlite controller did you use, about how much was it? How did you wire manual switch?

post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, havenít decided T19 9" R, 44F/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Thatís all I run is electric fans, get stuck in Chicago with stop and go traffic and you will learn real quick why. Fuel economy and HP are my other motives for the as soon as it pulls in the driveway mod. You can also turn the fan on constant for extra cooling while moving slow or running A/C on a hot day, win/win either way for me.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:01 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

I can't find any pictures but I know that fan that @OX1 has on the passenger side is exactly the same one I put in my son's '79. I did install just the one fan inside the OEM fan shroud and even with the Florida heat an AC, that Bronco never overheated.

@ANGELO I like that setup.

Allcruisen
445 FE Bronco likes this.

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:40 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, havenít decided T19 9" R, 44F/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
I have a build thread for installing my fan on my 78, the radiator I had to modify as it was for a 460 equipped E450 Box truck in copper. Canít find my threads anymore but I fabricated everything from aluminum for the shroud. It is important to use a shroud that is spaced away from the core enough to pull air from the full core. I used an 18Ē single and a fan wet sensor on the thermostat housing that is thread in adjustable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode