• 1 Post By SRWillis
  • 1 Post By BikerPepe`
  • 1 Post By cave12man
  • 1 Post By BikerPepe`
  • 1 Post By CrazyBRONCOguy
  • 2 Post By trustyrusty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78' Ranger XLT | 400 C6 | Demon 650 | Ford long tube headers | 7.5" lift | 37x13.5 Grapplers
Gas tank access

The guy I bought my rig from installed a 33 gallon fuel tank but apparently the sending unit is wrong. Filling up from 1/4 tank is around 10 gallons, which obviously doesn't make sense. My guess is the company sent a stock sending unit instead of the 33 gallon one he ordered.

This is far from my level of expertise, anyone know how to access the top of the tank without having to drop the tank altogether? I'm trying to source a 33 gallon sending unit but am not having any luck for a 78 Bronco. Does it have to be for a 78 specifically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208, Detroit Truetracs front and rear
Here's one thread to check out: fuel pump access panel
BikerPepe` likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
33 gal tank is available stock. May be an aftermarket replacement but the size is no big deal for a stock pump/sender.
miesk5 likes this.

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 06-12-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78' Ranger XLT | 400 C6 | Demon 650 | Ford long tube headers | 7.5" lift | 37x13.5 Grapplers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRWillis View Post
Here's one thread to check out: fuel pump access panel
Interesting. Was hoping I didn't have to cut into the bed but if that's the way it is, I guess I'll have to. Thanks for the link!
SRWillis likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
33 gal tank is available stock. May be an aftermarket replacement but the size is no big deal for a stock pump/sender.
Just can't figure out why the gauge is reading 1/4 tank when it should really only be reading about 3/4 or so. If the stock tank wasn't 33 then I'll need a 33 sending unit.

I found this at Bronco Graveyard, just hope it's plug and play with the gauge.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/mob...uctinfo/20231/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Retired Staff

Garage
That looks like a winner to me. I would consider a new lock ring and seal too (same page, lower down in suggestions). No telling what the previous owners have done over the years but my experience has been on the down side of quality work. JBG sells good parts but we all bitch about their shipping costs.

I assume by filling up, you have verified it's a 33 gal tank. The issue may be more about wiring but a replacement on these old rigs is not a bad thing... unless the PO replaced it as well. If it were me... I'd have the replacement ready but verify everything else is solid and intact. A pinched, loose or corroded wire could cause similar problems. Just don't know enough about your situation to say. Mine's my daily driver, so I don't want to be without it and shipping takes down-time.

You don't "HAVE" to make an access hole. You could choose to drop the tank. It's not that hard to do... or so I'm told. Those of us who do are generally planning to keep our Bronco's around for years to come, so the easier access the second time is worth the effort doing the first. Access hole also makes repairs out on the trail or roadside significantly faster/easier. All depends on your use and future plans.

Hope that helps.
SRWillis likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:16 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208, Detroit Truetracs front and rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave12man View Post
Just can't figure out why the gauge is reading 1/4 tank when it should really only be reading about 3/4 or so.
Mine's off some too, but not quite that much. Mine reads about 1/4 tank when it's actually about 1/2 a tank. I replaced a both the tank and the sending unit, soin my case it could also be the gauge itself
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 PM
Retired Staff

Garage
@Steve83 had a write-up for an electrical issue on that but he kept them all on his SuperMotors pages, so he could act up around here.
If I knew more, I'd tell ya but there are many more around here that know a lot more than I.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:21 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
My guess is they stuck a generic (typically GM) sending unit in it. The older ford ones are a bit unique.
I have also recently had the float arm get stuck in the sending unit due to ethanol mix in fuel making plastic expand more then it is supposed to. Basically sticks the am in position or makes a hard spot.

Regardless dropping tank to fix is likely best, or adding the access. Just make sure to check with assembly out that it reads from empty to full.
BikerPepe` likes this.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:39 AM

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco XLT - Buck the Truck
I recently put in a poly 33 gallon tank JBG 33 gal sending unit and my gauge still reads E (I think the wiring to the unit needs attention). If the gauge was just a little off, I wouldn't worry about it, but the main thing with using a 25 gal sending unit with a 33 gal tank would be that you never get use of that extra 10 gal you have to carry around to make the truck go because the pick up tube would be a few inches of the bottom of the tank.

Pics and notes of my recent install are in my build thread. I thought about making an access hole while the tank was out, but decided to just go the normal route of draining and dropping the tank. The worst part about dropping the tank IMO was breaking all the old rusty bolts loose for the lower tank straps and then removing them because PO installed a tow bar that hindered easy access to the nuts on the underside. As far as putting the new stuff back together, the worst part was the filler hose to neck connection, but that was due to specific parts that weren't exactly stock. One reason I chose to not do the access panel is because I may go to EFI and in tank pump in the near future and I figured it would be more of a pain to install/test all that setup using the access panel than outside of the truck.

If the PO recently installed the tank, those bolts should spin right off easy. If I did go the access panel route, I think I'd do seam sealer and a rivet at each corner.

Owner of Buck the Truck. My Build Page
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:27 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 xlt 302 aod aka ronco
Garage
if the resistance doesn't match the gauges it will read wrong also. you sometimes can add resistors inline to correct otherwise you need to get the proper sending unit.

90 xlt bronco 302 aod (ronco)
07 Silverado 3500 cc lb 6.0
66 buick gs 401 nailhead
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:28 PM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
if you installed a poly tank, you will most likely need to add a ground wire to the sender if it is a one wire sender as tank is no longer grounded

to test gauge and wiring,you can touch the sending unit wire to a good ground and the gauge should move to full
BikerPepe` and 351w500 like this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
My guess is they stuck a generic (typically GM) sending unit in it. The older ford ones are a bit unique.
I have also recently had the float arm get stuck in the sending unit due to ethanol mix in fuel making plastic expand more then it is supposed to. Basically sticks the am in position or makes a hard spot.

Regardless dropping tank to fix is likely best, or adding the access. Just make sure to check with assembly out that it reads from empty to full.
Appreciate the replies everyone!! Yeah seems like this is what's happening. He said he ordered the correct sending unit the same time he ordered the tank but evidently they sent him the wrong one. I think you're right, I'm just going to have to drop the tank or cut in the access hole (which I'll probably end up doing just in case). Just have to find a day to get er done and figure this out.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 & 1990
Garage
I have a programmable sending unit from auto meter. I run the 33 gallon take, there was a 25 gallon tank on these trucks, the 33 gallon was the option. With the programmable I have it set so that when I am near empty i still have a 5 gallon reserve. These trucks don't get the best mileage even with fuel injection. Just a option but in my case I run all auto meter gauges,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode