2Likes
  • 1 Post By Doosenberry
  • 1 Post By trustyrusty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 bronco 390 4 speed
Garage
lower door jam patch 1979 bronco

On my 79 I have some rust in the lower rear door jam on the drivers side. I can get the patch panel but has anyone done this? It looks like the patch panel is behind the quarter panel. If someone has some pictures that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:03 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79broncoowner View Post
On my 79 I have some rust in the lower rear door jam on the drivers side. I can get the patch panel but has anyone done this? It looks like the patch panel is behind the quarter panel. If someone has some pictures that would be great.
Check out @d_rock 's last post on the FOTM thread for this month, he has some pics of patch replacements he did and I think the one you're considering is in there.

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...te-here-2.html

Edit: Also, vote for FOTM!
d_rock likes this.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:34 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 4.9L EFI, ZF S5-42, BW 1345, 32in BFG A/T
Garage
Hey @79broncoowner ,
Page 2 of my build thread (posts 31 and 32) shows a few more pictures... https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ger-xlt-2.html

I replaced the lower rear jamb on the passenger side. The striker post panel above it is also available. LMC carries the panels, and you might find them on Bronco Graveyard or RockAuto also. You will need a spot weld cutter, and I recommend undoing all the spot welds along the edge of the quarter. This will create some flexibility to get the old parts out. I went a little overboard on drilling, because I had a hard time finding some of the spot welds. Also, be mindful of structure in behind when cutting.

And of course, clean it all up real good before putting it back together. Weld-through primer is worthwhile too.

Derek

From a 4x4 family: '78 Ranger XLT build thread... 4.9L EFI, ZF5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 bronco 390 4 speed
Garage
Thanks that is what I needed to see
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:43 PM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
i bough those panels from lmc for a project truck I had sold before I installed them, they seems heavy gauge and proper shape and like mentioned would require some spot weld cutting but should be an easy fit
if you are careful you may be able to fit them without burning outer quarter panel paint
just be careful as b post has a body drain that drains at front of the rocker to b post horizontal seam that is easily unnoticed and covered over causing the area to rot out faster after it is repaired

striker post panel was also well made and heavy gauge and nice shape ,some extra metal was present and trimming to fit quarter would have been necessary
d_rock likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode