Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Your Junkyard Finds!

166K views 2K replies 135 participants last post by  BigBlue 94 
#1 ·
Well, tax time is coming up and I'm looking to spend some of my tax return on some minor upgrades to my Bronco. (no name yet). I was wondering what sort of good ideas I can keep an eye out for in the junkyard.

So far, I've got my eye out for a new center console and a roof rack, but I'm open to other ideas as well. I've got some decent yards around here to look through, so any ideas would be welcome.

And while I'm personally looking for the simpler upgrades at the moment, I'm sure other would be happy to see the more expensive and complicated upgrades you've found in a junkyard as well.

#104 ·
Carbed 460 Saginaw Setup?

I found this in an old (VIN says 1984) E350 box truck today. I didn't pull it because, at the time, I wasn't sure exactly what engine it was on.

front of engine

door tag

If this is worth anything to anyone, let me know and I can grab it.

#106 ·
a while back i got two saginaw pumps & brackets, a couple overhead console displays (circuit boards only), and a straight dash pad for pretty cheap. then i was able to trade one pump & bracket to a local for a welder he was getting rid of.

#107 ·
I got a nice looking set of Dana 50 locking hubs for $10 today.

Here lately, the junkyard has been getting several F250s with 5.8/ZF setups, but they are all two wheel drive. And when I think I'll just get the shifters, they either have the bezel/boot tore up/cracked, or the shift knob is taped on.

#112 ·
First off, ABS--it deactivates when 4WD is engaged, and does so for a reason, an off-road vehicle does not have all four wheels turning at the same rate. So the ABS would be confused anyway. SO, ABS is for on-paved-road driving. Now, having said that, I had a problem in Eddie's RWAL system, whereby normal driving would cause the rear brakes to stay engaged, and make them drag. So, since the base brakes work correctly without the ABS active, I disconnected the controller, and the problem went away. As a mechanic and diagnostic tech, I do not recommend that other owners go disabling any safety equipment on their vehicles. But I can't force other owners not to do it, either. If you do so, you do so with the full knowledge of taking full responsibility for you and your vehicle, as I did with Eddie.
Second, when you find a 'find,' if you can afford it, GET IT. I can't tell you how many times I saved my bacon with pull-my-pud finds, because I needed the part years later.

#114 ·
I found the elusive ignition coil cover yesterday. I'd heard of them, but never seen one. I haven't cleaned it up and test fitted it yet, but it looks like it should mount up the same across the years. (I have a makeshift brace in the way, since I couldn't run the support leg with aftermarket headers). With how leaky all the cowl drip rails tend to be, the cover ought to be good for the health of the coil and associated wiring.

#116 ·
I pulled a Saginaw pump/bracket setup off an 80's van with a carbed 300. Also got all the brackets for the york AC compressor, but left the actual compressor in the van (since I have several yorks at home). Was easy to convince them that I needed all the brackets since they sort-of all work together.

#117 ·
Man I could use a score like that^^^^

Just scrapped an old dual 1.5 gal tank air compressor for the tanks to use as an onboard air system.

As a side note, this morning I had my usual radio station on, and it cut out and was playing 100.3 FM the buzz out of Des Moines... thats 250 miles from my house!

#118 ·
... it cut out and was playing 100.3 FM the buzz out of Des Moines... thats 250 miles from my house!
ionospheric radio skip - cool - how long did it last?

Reactions: bsd4083
#120 ·
Yesterday I went with a mission to get some parts I actually needed (for a change). I lucked out and found a 1997 F250 with an E4OD and manual transfer case. I was able to get the shifter and linkage. Also got the D50 locking hubs.

I mentioned in the 'what did you do to your bronco today' that I am swapping the electric transfer case in my 1996 F150 for a manual one. I have a manual case, but I needed the correct linkage since the other was mounted to a ZF5. I really only needed the linkage, but got the shifter as well, just because.

One thing I noticed on the 97 F250 was that the transfer case was a flange type, not a slip yoke. Driveshaft had a slip fitting, like our front drive shafts.

#124 ·
I finally found a set of 40/20/40 '92-97 front seats, but the driver's and center jump seat were in rough shape, with torn cloth, some foam missing from the jump seat, the lower trim missing from the driver's seat, and the driver's seat tilt controls rusted up and not functioning smoothly. Still, I'm tempted to go back for them if for no other reason than it's taken me so long to find a set... It wasn't an extended cab, though.

I picked up several things while there, so it was a worthwhile trip to the JY, regardless: multi-function switch (only one of my hazards works), AC bypass pulley, steering wheel w/out stripped out puller bolt holes, driver's door arm rest, etc. I also got a lead on an 80k mile '95 at one of their other yards.

#126 ·
I actually don't know that I even want 40/20/40 seats any more. They've been high on my wish list since early on, but ironically, I also installed a JY center console and like its storage space and relative ease of climbing over. I still like the idea of the 40/20/40, but it would probably be a step backward for my use.

#128 ·
Sorry if that wasn't clear. No, it was a F-series. That's what I meant by, "It wasn't an extended cab, though."

The low mileage '95 I was told about is a Bronco. I've only seen one other '92-96 Bronco at the various yards over the past year (my engine and most of my interior came out of it), so hopefully I can cross a few items off my list.

#130 ·
Not from a JY, but....

Ten minutes ago, our work neighbor brings in this thing he found in the parking lot out front. It's a 18" 1/2"drive craftsman breakover bar from the 60s/70s. Near perfect shape, with both detents in working order. A bit of lacquer thinner, and it looks shiney new. Looks like I've got a new tool!

#135 ·
I pulled at points distributor from the 240 that I got the head from several months ago, just because.

On the way out, I saw and pulled the clutch pedal assembly from an 82 F350. Its for the mechanical, not hydraulic clutch.

I tried drilling out the spot welds to get the rear seat mount pockets on the suburban that I got the seat from earlier, but cheap spot weld cutter I had wanted to walk too much and I didn't bring a regular bit to drill a pilot hole. So I gave up.