C6 to AOD Transmission swap - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

C6 to AOD Transmission swap

Have looked around and have seen a lot of posts about swapping from an AOD to a C6 transmission. I do a good bit of highway driving and would benefit from the OD, so I want to go the other way. I've seen some posts that mention when doing the swap the other way, you have to move the mounting cross member and possibly have other issues. I would guess I would have the same issues, right? Has anyone done this?

What I have is an '88 with a 351w engine and c6 transmission. I have the opportunity of getting an AOD tranny off of an '89 with same engine for cheap. Would need to be rebuilt, just in case. Just wonder what other hidden gottcha's I might come across.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 05:35 PM

Bronco Info: smells like gear oil
You'll need a flexplate from (if I remember correctly) an 89 CrownVic with a 351.

You'll also need the TV cable setup, and you'll need to have it adjusted properly or risk burning up the transmission.

92 EB - 302/E4OD (205,000mi) - Eric
+ lots of cool crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmid61
I am sorry to have bothered you on your forum, you should post on the home page though, dont ask any questions cause if you dont know you are stupid...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I remember seeing that in a previous posting.

I'm more concerned in possible issues with driveshaft length and the cross frame mounting. I've seen posts that I might need a different length driveshaft and the mouning might have to be moved.
cemcjoe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 06:21 PM

You'll also have to swap to the transfer case shifter linkage for the AOD, since it's different from the C-6. That may be your biggest hurdle, since the AOD/B-W13-56 linkage is very hard to find. there's a few posts on that, might help with your swap.

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!!!!
http://www.supermotors.net/users/justshootme84
Rest-in-Peace our Friend
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 PM

Bronco Info: 86FSB on 44's,351W, c6,9"-Detroit locker in the rear, D44-detroit true-trac in front, dual exhaust
Im interested in this swap also.. I was wondering about hooking the AOD to the t-case thats there now.. Not sure what t-case I have, I havent looked but I think its a 208.. My 86 351 pulls 3000 rpm at 60 Mph, not good for fuel mileage.. Are there any issues with the stock t-case being mated to that trans and do you have to modify driveshafts??

Thanks
Shane.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 PM

Bronco Info: 90-351, E4OD 6inch superlift, 35's, rear Detroit locker, front Quick lock 410 gear
tagmehome If you need the linkage I might have it. I will have to check.

Warning LOW IDIOT TOLERANCE

Russia got CHANGE in 1917, Germany got CHANGE in 1933 and Cuba got CHANGE in 1959, CHANGE isn't always a good thing!

Addicted to quack!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:43 PM

The NP208, B-W13-56 and earlier Ford transfer cases share the same bolt pattern, so they will bolt up to the C-6, AOD, E4OD and manual trannies. Shift linkage varies by combo, as does driveshaft length and yoke/ flange type. Best advice is to get the t-case and donor tranny together, along with the shifter linkage.

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!!!!
http://www.supermotors.net/users/justshootme84
Rest-in-Peace our Friend
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:29 PM

Bronco Info: 88 5.8 w roller cam, ported GT40X heads and edelB intake, roller rockers, JBAs & bassani y pipe
Garage
OK guys, i'm resurrecting this thread because the truck is ready to be taken to the transmission shop...and I want the extra mileage the AOD will give me with my 5.8 equipped truck.The Shop is building the AOD transmission out of a 91 5.0 equipped bronco.

I will reuse the transfer case that came with my 5.8 equipped truck.
-I have the AOD trans & existing transfer case
-I have the crown vic 5.8 flex plate
-I have the finned aluminum oil pan
-I installed the f250 trans oil cooler (had to bend the lines a bit but it fit right in)
-I have the bellcrank from the 5.0 AOD
-I have the upper vent for the 5.0 AOD
-I have the AOD gear indicator readout for the dash cluster
-I have the TV cable assembly from the 5.0 bronco

I Don't have:
-driveshafts for that 1.125in shift back
-Transfer case shift linkage
-Steering column shift arm to transmission shift linkage

The Transmission shop will supply the torque converter.

Anything else I am missing for the swap? What do you guys think about stall speed? should I keep it stock?

my 30 year old truck
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:22 PM
aka: kemicalburns

Bronco Info: 94 357/E4OD - ProC 6" stageII, 37"STT Pro, f/R 4.88's, Front Aussie, HS9500, sliders
Garage
IIRC the OD band should get upgraded, with that said you will still need to keep the trans out of OD when going under 50mph to avoid damage to the OD band. you should be able to get the necessary drive shafts from a 5.0/AOD bronco, probably could get the Tcase linkage as well and the column if its all there at the yard.

94 5.8/E4OD Edelbrock efi intake, jba headers, transgo shift kit. 6" PC stage II, 4.88 gears, front Aussie. Warn HS9500, custom bumper and sliders. RedHead steering and TieRod flip.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:14 AM

Bronco Info: 88 5.8 w roller cam, ported GT40X heads and edelB intake, roller rockers, JBAs & bassani y pipe
Garage
I will reuse the transfer case that came with my 5.8 equipped truck.
-I have the AOD trans & existing transfer case
-I installed the f250 trans oil cooler (had to bend the lines a bit but it fit right in)
-I have the bellcrank from the 5.0 AOD
-I have the TV cable assembly from the 5.0 bronco

I ordered both front and rear driveshafts from jeffsbroncograveyard for the AOD install, they are new.

I have the existing transfer case linkage...I will just fabricate a lever spacer to relocate the lever forward by the amount the AOD shifts the transfer case back. This will be easy.

I Don't have:
-Steering column shift arm to transmission shift linkage

Can the C6 bellcrank be used for the AOD and just relocated on the frame to compensate? I have the shifter bellcrank from the AOD truck in case the C6 unit won't work.

I also ordered a few more things...
-Transgo shift kit
-the spiral snap rings
-4340 hardened input shaft upgrade
-Upgraded OD and reverse bands...

The shop will supply the torque converter.

I ALSO KNOW I WILL NEED TO SWAP DIFFERENTIAL RINGS AND PINIONS...I'LL SAVE THAT FOR WHEN THE 4IN LIFT IS DONE.

Chime in guys....did I miss something?

my 30 year old truck
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:53 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Not miss per say but Have you looked into a Constant Pressure Valve body? Silverfox makes a very nice one.
What this will do is make it so the TV cable is only there for shift points, it would let you run the trans without the cable and not burn it up. They also have one which will let you manually shift 1, 2, D, Instead of doing the aod shuffle. That one uses an electrical switch on the dash to turn to overdrive on/off.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 03:18 PM

Bronco Info: 95 XL 302-M5R2-1356-3L55-32's and 96 XL 351-E4OD-1356-4L10-33's
Garage
There are probably a billion things you could have the trans shop do to the transmission, but alas, this post is about things you need for the swap, so I'll keep it there.

As far as the shift linkage, and if I'm not mistaken, the AOD saw use in the F-150 as far back as 1980. I don't ever recall seeing one in a truck that old, but this should help you expand your search and help you dig one up.

As far as the "bellcrank", I assume you're referring to the transmission crossmember. Not sure if it can be re-located or if the shape is correct--I'd at least give it a shot.

Regarding the driveshaft, there are many Bronco's that came with an AOD. You can either find one at the yard, or can order one, but the F-150 driveshaft will NOT work--you're stuck looking for one that came from a Bronco. You'll need the one that's 35 1/2" long.

For the shift linkage, you can likely find either a Bronco or F-150 at the yard and pull the necessary components. It's probably much less work to just swap the entire column.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:40 PM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBronco5.8 View Post
I ALSO KNOW I WILL NEED TO SWAP DIFFERENTIAL RINGS AND PINIONS...I'LL SAVE THAT FOR WHEN THE 4IN LIFT IS DONE.
Why do you need to swap R and P?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:36 PM

Garage
Update:

-I have the donor AOD trans & transfer case that was originally on the Bronco
-I have the TV cable assembly, top and bottom mount brackets from the 5.0/AOD f150
-I have the shift linkage and bell crank from a 5.0/AOD 4x4 f150 (Bellcrank is the mechanical arm that transfers the column rotation arc 90 degrees for transmission gear selection)
-I have front and rear drive shafts for a 5.0/AOD Bronco and new zerkless u joints.
-AOD dipstick tube (new)

I have the existing transfer case linkage and shift lever...I will just fabricate a lever spacer to relocate the lever forward by the amount the AOD shifts the transfer case back.
Has anyone done this and will there be any issues?

I understand that the C6 cross member will fit on the AOD as the mount holes are slotted and appear to have sufficient adjustment for the trans mount?

For the AOD upgrades, thus far, I have ordered:
-Transgo shift kit
-the clutch drum spiral snap rings
-4340 hardened input shaft upgrade
-Upgraded carbon fiber OD and reverse bands...

The shop will supply the torque converter.

Chime in guys....did I miss something?

my 30 year old truck
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
I did this swap. I did a tech write up a few years back. The pictures failed b/c the host changed formats....and I just went looking and it's gone.

Anyway, some of this you have probably figured out. BUT in case......

You need the entire AOD TV cable, which includes the bellcrank attached at the frame. Not easy in the rust belt.

IFF you have the manual transfer case (I assume you do) you will need to lengthen your old one. There were only a few years and very few models to serve as donors. Ford NOS parts are long gone.

Rear crossmember from C-6 is fine as-is.

Not sure why you think you have to swap out R&P. I'm running the stock 3.50:1 ratio but I added posi. I did this BEFORE I swapped in the AOD. IMHO, the 3.50 is a bit high and lugs the engine. Howsomeever, if you are going to freeway cruise a lot.....mine runs about 72 mph @ 1600 rpm. The other option is to drive it in 3rd and save the OD for freeway. 3rd is 1:1 just like the C-6 high gear. If I had done the AOD swap before the gear rebuild, I would probably opted for a lower gear. The other option I wish I had done is the 4R70W gearset. 1st is lower and makes it launch better. Better 2nd to 3rd transition as well.

I went the easy route....I had a driveshaft shop build my shafts.

The dash shift indicator is not mandatory. It just has the pretty target OD.

Didn't see if you mention the NSS. The old C-6 one and AOD are completely different. ((SAVE THE OLD C-6 ONE!!!)) AODs had a 4 or 5 pin NSS. Wasnt hard to figure out which is which with a VOM. 2 pins have continuity only in neutral.
the other 2 pins have continuity only in reverse ( backup lights). The 5th one, if equipped, goes to the ECM. I've swapped 4 AODs into resto mods and only had one use it.

I think the rest of it like the flex plate and block plate you had covered. Nothing else comes to mind.

BTW, if you find/use the original TV cable, it's a lot easier to adjust the line pressure.
ABTW, I always install a pressure gauge for the TV pressure. On the Bronco I have the gauge under the dash. It is BEST to adjust them using a gauge. Matter of fact, the last one I swapped in was from Gearstar and they insist you install one or risk voiding the warranty.

Click HERE to visit my frame-off NOS restoration thread.

Photobucket Album ....and a crap load of pictures....
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Garage
J.R. Thanks for your response and input. You inspired this swap some time ago.

You need the entire AOD TV cable, which includes the bellcrank attached at the frame. I GOT THIS SETUP OUT OF A 5.0 equipped 4x4 f150. I got the throttle cable mount above the engine, the bellcrank and frame mount, AOD bellcrank mount, column shift linkage and the TV Cable. I even ordered a new replacement cable from an OEM.

IFF you have the manual transfer case (I assume you do) you will need to lengthen your old one. There were only a few years and very few models to serve as donors. Ford NOS parts are long gone.

Lengthen the transfer case? Or are you speaking of the shifter engagement? elaborate on this.

I went the easy route....I had a driveshaft shop build my shafts. I sourced the driveshafts from an 89 5.0 bronco with AOD.

The dash shift indicator is not mandatory. It just has the pretty target OD. Got it anway

Didn't see if you mention the NSS. The old C-6 one and AOD are completely different. ((SAVE THE OLD C-6 ONE!!!)) AODs had a 4 or 5 pin NSS. Wasnt hard to figure out which is which with a VOM. 2 pins have continuity only in neutral.
the other 2 pins have continuity only in reverse ( backup lights). The 5th one, if equipped, goes to the ECM. I've swapped 4 AODs into resto mods and only had one use it.

I ordered a few NSS for the AOD, not AODE. I also ordered a few of the plugs for rewiring the wiring and I got the schematic as well.

I think the rest of it like the flex plate and block plate you had covered. Nothing else comes to mind.

BTW, if you find/use the original TV cable, it's a lot easier to adjust the line pressure.
ABTW, I always install a pressure gauge for the TV pressure. On the Bronco I have the gauge under the dash. It is BEST to adjust them using a gauge. Matter of fact, the last one I swapped in was from Gearstar and they insist you install one or risk voiding the warranty. This is exactly how the shop adjusts the TV Cable.

my 30 year old truck
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Eric

Bronco Info: '88 BKO XLT, 5.0, AOD, welded 8.8, carbon 4L10, 33's, Lightning headers, Saginaw, 3G
I have a dumb question: What's with the Crown Vic flexplate?

Is it something with the converter stud holes? That's the only thing I can think of.

Just wondering because this is the first I've ever heard of it and I like learning new things.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBronco5.8 View Post
J.R. Thanks for your response and input. You inspired this swap some time ago.

You need the entire AOD TV cable, which includes the bellcrank attached at the frame. I GOT THIS SETUP OUT OF A 5.0 equipped 4x4 f150. I got the throttle cable mount above the engine, the bellcrank and frame mount, AOD bellcrank mount, column shift linkage and the TV Cable. I even ordered a new replacement cable from an OEM.

Lengthen the transfer case? Or are you speaking of the shifter engagement? elaborate on this.

I went the easy route....I had a driveshaft shop build my shafts. I sourced the driveshafts from an 89 5.0 bronco with AOD.

The dash shift indicator is not mandatory. It just has the pretty target OD. Got it anway

I ordered a few NSS for the AOD, not AODE. I also ordered a few of the plugs for rewiring the wiring and I got the schematic as well.

ABTW, I always install a pressure gauge for the TV pressure. On the Bronco I have the gauge under the dash. It is BEST to adjust them using a gauge. Matter of fact, the last one I swapped in was from Gearstar and they insist you install one or risk voiding the warranty. This is exactly how the shop adjusts the TV Cable.
Sorry, I'm not getting my notifications, so I missed your question.

You will need to lengthen the rod between the transfer case shifter, and the linkage itself. If you try to use the old arm, it wont get access 4wd IIRC I had to add about 2". I cut a new arm and sectioned in a piece from the old. It's been a while since I did this and I haven't been under it lately to check things out.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Forward Some Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver70 View Post
I have a dumb question: What's with the Crown Vic flexplate?

Is it something with the converter stud holes? That's the only thing I can think of.

Just wondering because this is the first I've ever heard of it and I like learning new things.
It's the only legit combo from Ford with a 5.8 with an AOD behind it.
Ours had the AOD, but it was behind the 5.0 only.
Honestly, I can't remember if it's the mounting holes at the crank, the overall diameter, or the converter. I do not believe it was the imbalance.

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:51 AM

Garage
I'll just go and score the old arm from the F150 at the yard. Thank you

my 30 year old truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode