CEL, OBD II Won't Scan, Already Tried Searching - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '96 Bronco XLT / '99 F250 Diesel
CEL, OBD II Won't Scan, Already Tried Searching

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Hey guys,

I'm new to the Bronco world, but by no means new to forums.

I just picked up a Green '96 XLT with 142xxx on the clock and a 302 under the hood!! I've always liked Broncos, and figured since I've owned Dodge and Chevy trucks, it was time to try a Ford. I basically got it as a winter beater, but it's going to be my dd as I put my STi in the garage

My problem is this - I've got a CEL on, and I can't get my OBD II scanner to work. I looked in the fuse box, low and behold I'm missing the fuse for the cigarette lighter and OBD, so I threw one in from another port.

Well, the problem didn't go away. I'm not getting power to the scanner, and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right. I need to pass inspection in NJ in a couple weeks, and really need to fix the CEL first.

The guy I bought it from told me it was an o2 sensor, but I don't really trust his word, I'd rather find out what it needs myself.

Anybody know the least expensive way I can go about diagnosing these problems or anyone live in the Boston area that's willing to give me a hand?

Thanks for the help. I look forward to enjoying my new Bronco and have a new forum to play on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

ideas....anybody?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:13 AM
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8 with 127k miles, WARN Premium Hubs
Garage
Are you sure the fuse you threw in didn't pop upon insertion? Was it the right amperage also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
X man,
I found that my cig lighter's 12v vehicle power (VPWR) Lt Blue/White wire chaffed & shorted on ashtray frame. It caused Fuse 16 to blow itself...out & this also caused the OBD II Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC) not to "power up" @ pin 16
So get in there & ck that fuse again; if blown, pull ashtray or just trace Lt Blue/White wire back and see if it is shorting out on da frame.
if so, tape it
If Fuse is ok,
pull out a multi meter or get a cheap one or 12 v test lamp and ck for 12v at the DLC connector pin 16

Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC) Pin-Out Diagram in a 96
Source: by Steve83

If no 12v, trace same wire from DLC connector pin 16 back and see if it is shorted on frame.
to power the DLC con up, run a jumper from 12v always on Source (fuse box, etc.) and tap into that pin 16 wire

If power is @ 16; then ck other pics for
Ground (chassis) @ pin 4

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I got it.

apparently somebody spliced the cigarette lighter before i got it and the wires were taped. the tape wore off and the wires were touching each other and shorting out.

all fixed.

Mods, please close this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode