Desperate For A Working EEC-IV - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1989 Ford Bronco XLT 302/EFI/AOD Completely Stock
Desperate For A Working EEC-IV

Hello All,
I've got big problems with my 89 Bronco 302/5.0/AOD/4x4/Hi Alt. The EEC-IV is not working properly (Sending a +5 to the O2 sensor and shorting out) and FORD no longer makes or remanufactures this computer. I've spent three years and over $9K on this Bronco and all of a sudden I'm looking at a vehicle with alot of new parts and no way to get the computer fixed. I've tried the A1 Cardone and Micro-Tech remanufactured EEC-IV and so far non of them have worked right out of the box.

The part number on the computer that came out of the vehicle is E8TF-12A650-AG2A. If I do a search by application it looks like part # E8TF-12A650-AGA will work as well.

Please, Please, Please any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Charlie don't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Any decent parts locator on line should be able to find that EEC for you. I don't have the names of any in particular but a search on the web should yeild quite a few.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
The Anti Yam!

Bronco Info: 86 Bronco XLT 357w/AOD
junk yard?

86 Bronco - 357W/AOD - 6" suspension lift, 3" body lift - 38" TSL Radials - 456:1 Gears
Sequential Multiport Mass-Air Fuel Injection from a 93 Mustang GT

My SuperMotors Site - My Engine

The Greatest Thread on FSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Echlin/Blue Streak for sure

Sixlitre

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

I've searched the web extensively with every keyword I can come up with and no luck.
I've called NAPA, Carquest and of course FORD.
I've checked carparts.com and broncograveyard.com
I then did a search on junk yards, found a half dozen and sent emails with what I was looking for with the part number and they all replied back saying they could not find that part.

I did find a Speed-Density to Mass Air conversion kit made by FORD Racing Performance that came with an EEC-IV but it sort of looks like a one size fits all. They don't give specifics on what engine sizes the product fits or weather or not it is for high altitude vehicles and they don't mention a Bronco. Just F-150, F-250 and F-350 vehicles. I can't believe one computer would work with all those different vehicles. I've been calling there tech support all morning but all I am getting is a busy signal

Sixlitre forgive my ignorance but what is Echlin/Blue Streak and do you by chance have the URL?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 01:47 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 XLT Stock
Your in luck I have one on top of my refrigerator. It came out of an 1989 with a 5.0 and a 5 speed. My motor went out and I replaced it with a 5.8. E-mail me at [email protected] and we'll see what we can work out.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 01:51 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco Ranger XLT
What do you mean that the remans you've tried have not worked right out of the box? If you've tried two brands, and neither has worked, I would think you might have a problem other than the ecc.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 01:59 PM
The Anti Yam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston
I did find a Speed-Density to Mass Air conversion kit made by FORD Racing Performance that came with an EEC-IV but it sort of looks like a one size fits all. They don't give specifics on what engine sizes the product fits or weather or not it is for high altitude vehicles and they don't mention a Bronco. Just F-150, F-250 and F-350 vehicles. I can't believe one computer would work with all those different vehicles.
It may, depends on the pinout of the harness. The computer in the kit is the A9-P or A9-L depending on weather or not you have a manual or automatic. That computer is capibal of supporting 302s or 351s.

And from what Iunderstand the EFI harness is the same for 302s and 351s, And I know they are the same between for pickups and Broncos.

Get a wiring diagram of a 89 302 harness and your truck, if the pinouts on the computer match then that kit will work.

Mass air measures the barametric pressure, and the amount of air comming in. It will adjust to any altitude.

86 Bronco - 357W/AOD - 6" suspension lift, 3" body lift - 38" TSL Radials - 456:1 Gears

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 02:03 PM

Collectors Auto Supply in Oroville, WA. shows twenty-two in stock (Part number E8TF-12A650-AGA). Their phone number is 1-888-772-7848. Good luck in your project.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Collectors Auto Supply in Oroville, WA are the people who I have been dealing with. When I first ordered the computer they said they had 22 in stock. I asked them if the computer was remanufactured by FORD and they said yes it was so I ordered. Days went by without the part showing up so I called them and asked what was up. They said the don't have that part in stock (lie #1) and they have to get it from someone else and I should have it in a few days. I was not please but it seemed I had no choice. The part finally arrived and it was not remanufactured by FORD and it had an A1 Cardone sticker on it (lie # 2) and it was no good. They said they would send me a second one and not charge me shipping. I received the second one and it did not work either. So long story short I would not recommend dealing with these people

fdcf1 I am writing you an email now. Hopefully this will work out
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 02:56 PM

Bronco Info: none :(
Not to insult your intellegence, but it is EXTREMELY rare to be in the situation you are in and for the computer to be the actual culprit.. In the parts biz, something crazy like 97% of computers being replaced were replaced for incorrect/no reason.

Have you triple checked to make sure? Triple checked that too?

93 Ranger f/s D44/9" spooled waiting on tax returns for 36" Iroks, jonesin for a f/s Bronco!

"Get up on this wisconsin death trip!" -static-x
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 02:58 PM
The Anti Yam!

I have never seen an EEC-IV computer fail.
EFI wiring harneses, those fail all the time and the computer gets blamed.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:02 PM

Location: now west jordan ut..no more land of the sun for me!
Bronco Info: 1990 white xlt 302 ford ls rear mile marker hubs bfg 31 10.5
i'm not sure what your spending on the ekk's but i think the mass air kit is right around 6 bills. mass air would be a perfomance up grad from what i have read about them.

You own a jeep? I'm so sorry you should see someone about that "jeep thing" there may be a 12 step program the thing about jeeps is you have to steal rusty chevy parts to make it better.....
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:05 PM
The Anti Yam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncbob
i'm not sure what your spending on the ekk's but i think the mass air kit is right around 6 bills. mass air would be a perfomance up grad from what i have read about them.
Mass air by itself does absolutly nothing for perforemance.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Hey KillerRange. No worries on insulting my intellegence. I'm actually making these posts sound like I'm doing the work when infact it is my mechanic.

The shop is owned by two guys who spent most of there careers working in FORD dealerships until they decided to go out on there own. They both agree with you and Gacknar about the EEC-IV going bad. There experiences have taught them that these computers just don't fail and if you do think the EEC-IV is bad you better triple check everything else because the odds are it is not the computer.

This all started with me going through 3 O2 Sensors in 13K miles and the MPG would drop like a stone shortly after being replaced. This left my mechanic scratching his head. He uses Bosch O2 sensors and again these just don't fail that often. I had a week off from work around Christmas so I told him he could have the truck, hook up all his widgets and drive the truck around till he found out what the problem was. Well it took several days but finally they got a reading that the computer was sending +5 to the O2 sensor and causing the O2 sensor to either freak out or go bad.

I am of course trusting his judgement on this but I feel comfortable with his skills. He has done all the work on the truck for the past 3 years and I have never gone back for the same thing twice. All his work is clean and professional as well.

As for what I am spending on the computer broncobob. The computer is $360 w/ a 3 month warranty. This leads me to another beef with Collectors Auto Supply in Oroville, WA. when they sent me a computer from A1 Cardon. I can get the same A1 Cardon part from Checkers for $180 and a 1 year warranty. Friggin theives
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:43 PM

Location: now west jordan ut..no more land of the sun for me!
Bronco Info: 1990 white xlt 302 ford ls rear mile marker hubs bfg 31 10.5
i was under the impression that mass air made more power by taking better readings of the air and go'n away from the batch fire injectors to seq. fire'n of the injectors. i wouldn't say mass air is the best bang for the buck, but there must be a lil power gain in there somewhere?????

You own a jeep? I'm so sorry you should see someone about that "jeep thing" there may be a 12 step program the thing about jeeps is you have to steal rusty chevy parts to make it better.....
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:54 PM
The Anti Yam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncbob
i was under the impression that mass air made more power by taking better readings of the air and go'n away from the batch fire injectors to seq. fire'n of the injectors. i wouldn't say mass air is the best bang for the buck, but there must be a lil power gain in there somewhere?????
Nope, no change in perforemance at all. Infact the S.D. system actualy reacts faster off the line.

The only perforemance advantage of SEFI-Mass Air is the ability of the computer to adapt to modifications to the engine.

In my opinion there are some driveability advantages, but no perforemance advantage (no more power) from SEFI-Mass Air

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Try it now!!

Location: hotels, Charlotte, Roanoke VA, the cockpit...time split equally between all of them.
Bronco Info: 1989 460 EFI/C6/BW1356 electric/6 inch Rough Country lift/York OBA/Warn hubs/electric fans/14 bolt
Lum dada dum dada dum dada dum dada DA DAAAAHHHH!!!

Engine Computer
Ford Truck 150 5.0L,AT,ID E8TF-12A650-AG2A G04001 $65 Tri City Auto Parts USA-NE(Holdrege) E-mail 1-800-445-9117

Engine Computer
Ford Truck 150 5.0,AT, E8TF-12A650-AG2A Q6874K $Call B & R Auto Wrecking, Eugene USA-OR(Eugene) E-mail 1-888-325-8469
Their email is [email protected].com

make www.car-part.com your friend!

Prolly not the computer anyway.
Check the 3 wires on the o2 sensor and see which one is grounded (hint, the black wire is directly connected so a spade lug as a ground somewhere on the chassis...part # C8AB-14463R) The other 2 are dark green/purple, and gray and yellow. The gray and yellow changes (somewhere along the line at a connector) to purple and orange at the fuse panel. This is your 12V source, so check it while the key is on and see if it has 12V at the sensor. The Dark green/purple goes all the way back to pin 29 at the computer (middle row 2 away from the middle bolt).
I'm not sure how the O2 sensor works, I thought it got a 5v reference from the computer and sent some of that voltage back as the AF ratio, and the rest went to ground, but looking at the wires, what they do and where they go I guess it robs the 12V from the P-O wire and sends a signal back to the computer vie the Green/purple wire.

All of the above is correct if I have read my Helms manual properly...
-Will
89 XLT 460
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 01:46 PM

Bronco Info: none :(
the O2 isn't supposed to get any power from the comp. Ok, well, they do get a signal, only if they are heated. 4 wire sensors. But the actual voltage is created within the O2, it doesn't need a refrence signal to work.

which is why he keeps messing up his sensors.. Why? I dunno.. Where is Fireguy?

93 Ranger f/s D44/9" spooled waiting on tax returns for 36" Iroks, jonesin for a f/s Bronco!

"Get up on this wisconsin death trip!" -static-x
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:30 AM
Try it now!!

Location: hotels, Charlotte, Roanoke VA, the cockpit...time split equally between all of them.
Bronco Info: 1989 460 EFI/C6/BW1356 electric/6 inch Rough Country lift/York OBA/Warn hubs/electric fans/14 bolt
Mine is heated and only has 3 wires.
-Will
89 XLT 460
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode