my 4-bolt steering box swap... yes, you can reuse your existing hoses. - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1987 Bronco 302/NP435
Garage
the only advantage i know of is that the 4-bolt box is a better design that is less likely to wear out with lots of use vs the redhead's 2-bolt. sure, they come from redhead without any slop but eventually they will wear out the same as an original motorcraft box. this is mainly a concern if you drive your bronco a lot. also, the 4-bolt box can be cheaper. i got mine out of a junkyard, but you could just as easily buy a parts house reman 4-bolt box for much cheaper than a redhead 2-bolt box.

now, im not saying that the 4-bolt box will never develop slop. im just saying that for me, it was worth it to swap to a $30 junkyard 4-bolt box rather than saving up for several months and missing several months of wheeling to get a redhead box. i still have some steering slop, but i think it is due to the steering shaft. at any rate, the 4-bolt box cut the slop about in half, and it is now manageable.

87 Bronco EFI 302, NP435
Sweet Melissa (Red and White 87)
Bad Luck Bronco (Blue and White 89)
i used photobucket to embed images here. since they screwed me and quit hosting 3rd party images without warning i have tried to fix all MY broken links on the site here. if you notice any of MY posts with a broken link or missing image, please PM me with a link to the thread and i will fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Rosita my 95 XLT Sport, 5.8, 33x12.5x15, 6 inch lift, factory limited slip, manual hubs
Garage
Wow I'm very late to the party HAHAHA so far all I have to say about the 4 bolt is that IT WORKS as ShaprShooter mention the slop is cut drastically, I did end up getting the gear box with the wrong spilne count but on ebay I bought a new drop pitman for the same year excusion and it bolted up to the super runner steering no problem. it would of been a $120 upgraded with all parts for me but since I did have to buy a drop pitman that took me $70 more than expected.
sharpshooter109 likes this.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 04:34 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 5.8 E4OD
Did anyone using the brass seat inserts get the factory hoses to seal properly? OP said his eventually leaked right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo93bronco View Post
Did anyone using the brass seat inserts get the factory hoses to seal properly? OP said his eventually leaked right?
yes, with mine the factory return line/cooler leaked. the pressure hose is still sealing good (knock on wood).

i am not sure if you can get the factory return line to seal properly. if i were to try it again i would unbolt the cooler from the cross member then tighten it down. this way it could seat properly and get all the way tightened down, then you could just bend it to the proper shape to get it to bolt back to the cross member.

but honestly, in my opinion, its not a whole lot of extra work to get the 4-bolt box return line and figure out some way to get it back to the steering pump. you dont have to do the e-van cooler, you could run rubber hose straight from the 4-bolt return line to the return fitting on the power steering pump for now. maybe someone else has had a different experience than i did with the factory return line/cooler.

87 Bronco EFI 302, NP435
Sweet Melissa (Red and White 87)
Bad Luck Bronco (Blue and White 89)
i used photobucket to embed images here. since they screwed me and quit hosting 3rd party images without warning i have tried to fix all MY broken links on the site here. if you notice any of MY posts with a broken link or missing image, please PM me with a link to the thread and i will fix it.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:17 PM

Thanks sharpshooter I was hoping you would chime in. The main reason I'm not wanting to mess with the cooler right now is that I'm planning on getting a 4 bolt read head box. Probably overkill but I've wasted so much money on cheap steering parts on this truck that I'm not going to take any chances this time. Short of a SAS I want the very best steering parts money can buy this time around.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:34 PM

Bronco Info: '92 Custom
Garage
I'm a bit biased, and maybe it's a sample size thing, but I feel like I've seen more reports of red head box problems than for OEM 4-bolt boxes.

'92 Bronco Build Thread - '95 MAF 5.0, H5 axle code, York OBA.
http://www.supermotors.net/28006
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:52 PM

I wonder if there are any significant improvements in the 36 spline 4 bolt over the 32 spline 4 bolt. The 36 does say its for vehicles with over 4200 lbs front axle weight so I would guess its a little stronger somehow. Rockauto shows that you can get NEW, not rebuilt or remanufactured boxes in the 36 spline for about 360 bucks. If there are improvements and the 36 spline Excursion pitman arm works with the stock inverted Y steering that might be something useful.
CainsBigRed likes this.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Not sure about the 36 spline box but as far as the return setup, I think you can buy the return line for a 4 bolt box at the parts stores. Itís just the metal line with the fitting and a rubber hose built into the other end. You might need a barb fitting and some more hose but you could make it go back to the return fitting on the pump without the e-van cooler. That would probably be my preferred way to go if I were in your shoes.

Or...

You could cut off the stock ďcoolerĒ near the fitting and attach a rubber hose to the end. Use the brass fitting to make it seal and it SHOULD work. I havenít tried it though.

I donít mean to discourage you from using the stock cooler as is, I just wish I had put forth the effort the first time so I didnít have to go back and fix it when it leaked (which was almost immediately after I swapped over to the 4-bolt box).
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:47 PM

I need to swap out my lower steering shaft before I tackle this, I think it is responsible for most of the slop. CainsBigRed do you have any pictures of the various pitman arms you were dealing with? I'm wondering if the 36 spline box will line up with OEM, non-lifted steering and if so, which pitman arm I would need (36 stock or 36 drop). I may just do as you have suggested and remove the factory loop cooler. I wouldn't mind have a filter in there too. I'd probably get a B&M plate cooler or something they are pretty cheap. I put a new column awhile back, mine was so bad you could just about pull the steering wheel off with your bare hands lol
sharpshooter109 likes this.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:34 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Rosita my 95 XLT Sport, 5.8, 33x12.5x15, 6 inch lift, factory limited slip, manual hubs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo93bronco View Post
I need to swap out my lower steering shaft before I tackle this, I think it is responsible for most of the slop. CainsBigRed do you have any pictures of the various pitman arms you were dealing with? I'm wondering if the 36 spline box will line up with OEM, non-lifted steering and if so, which pitman arm I would need (36 stock or 36 drop). I may just do as you have suggested and remove the factory loop cooler. I wouldn't mind have a filter in there too. I'd probably get a B&M plate cooler or something they are pretty cheap. I put a new column awhile back, mine was so bad you could just about pull the steering wheel off with your bare hands lol
The Excursion came with a few different offset for the pitman arm from what I read when i was looking into the upgrade (zero offset, 15 degrees and 25. I will need to look it up to confirm), I should still have the arms somewhere at home, if i remember correctly the factory excursion arm had a light drop about 1 to 1.5 inch but it was not enough for a lifted bronco, might still work for you though. I take some pictures to night as it might still help out others.

Vote here for your Hot Next Door Bronco

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...vote-here.html
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:24 PM
Man of endless projects

Bronco Info: 96-Bronco 88-Bronco 90-F250
Garage
i have a 32 spline 4-bolt in my 96 bronco and my 90 F250. i have a 36-spline in my 88 bronco and ordered a 36 spline drop pitman arm for it. generally the higher spline count is stronger slightly stronger.

my f250 and 96 bronco have custom hoses but the 88 i ordered a few pairs of factory replacmenet seals and tried to use them. they were too thick to go inside the box so i used a bench grinder to modify them thinner till it fit. since its a mudtruck i dont use it much to know if it leaks. the left is the seal unmodified and the right is the ground down seal. it took alot as you can see

on a firends f-150 we did the 4 bolt swap and used the Lees inserts few months ago. haven't heard him say anything about it leaking or not but hes not one to know unless theres a massive puddle under it. which the case of the 4-bolt did actually break somereason and spewed everywhere and we had to replace it. the seals came out easilly and swapped over to the new box fine

we recently did the 4-bolt swap in @WhoisScubaSteve bronco few weeks ago. i again ground the seals till it fit. it worked for a couple weeks but then the return also started to leak. i ordered a few pairs of the Lees seals and we jsut installed one in his bronco this weekend. hopefully it will hold good. i will say that the Lees seals i got were a pretty loose fitting, dont need the install tool but it makes it alittle easier if you have it.
post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 06:41 PM

Bronco Info: 86 XLT 351 HO, Holley 650, 3" Exhaust, 6L Up, 265/75R16 Dirt Commanders, & 85 302 EFI, AOD, 6L Up
Garage
I installed a 4 bolt from an 97 F250 today. Went well. Working on my high pressure hose now. Has anyone tried cutting off the flare end of the stock hose and having a crimp end put on at a shop?
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 06:42 PM

Bronco Info: 86 XLT 351 HO, Holley 650, 3" Exhaust, 6L Up, 265/75R16 Dirt Commanders, & 85 302 EFI, AOD, 6L Up
Garage
O ring end

Anyone tried cutting of the gear side flare end of the stock hose and having an o ring crimp put on it?
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:52 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggum View Post
Anyone tried cutting of the gear side flare end of the stock hose and having an o ring crimp put on it?
I had a custom pressure hose made but had the return hose changed .

I would suggest an AN for the end and then an AN fitting for the gear.

Let me find the link to what I did..

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...6&share_type=t

sag pump + 4-bolt / 1-ton steering gear
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:45 AM

Garage
@dash_cam Iím running the stock pump so in need the type one pump end fitting and an o-ring gear fitting (I assume thats an AN). I swap in a sag pump but believe finding the bracket is next to impossible now. Need bracket from an early 80ís E series I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
@dash_cam Iím running the stock pump so in need the type one pump end fitting and an o-ring gear fitting (I assume thats an AN). I swap in a sag pump but believe finding the bracket is next to impossible now. Need bracket from an early 80ís E series I believe.

This is an AN fitting. They will convert any type plug to a common connector. Then you can use universal hoses to connect your mismatched parts. In the thread I posted, someone gave part numbers for different AN fittings that they used to do just that.

I'm not trying to convince you to get a sag pump but @GetBent4x4 might be able to help you out. That guy is a JY savant and might even have what you need already.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 11:59 AM

Garage
my 4-bolt steering box swap... yes, you can reuse your existing hoses.

Thanks @dash_cam

What say you @GetBent4x4 any of those brackets kicking around that you need out of your way?

post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 12:41 PM

Garage
If I stay with stock pump for now couldnít I just put one of the in the steering gear HP side then cut of the flare end on the stock hose and reflare it with a female nut to fit that AN fitting?

post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:23 PM

Garage
So I found these on Summit. I believe the 4 bolt gear is 18mm. This will get me to 11/16 inverted flare. Then I just need to get from 11/16 down to the 5/16 on the stock Bronco line. Any ideas on the best way to do that? Looking for a bushing etc to step down.

Cheers

post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 03:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
So I found these on Summit. I believe the 4 bolt gear is 18mm. This will get me to 11/16 inverted flare. Then I just need to get from 11/16 down to the 5/16 on the stock Bronco line. Any ideas on the best way to do that? Looking for a bushing etc to step down.

Cheers

I can't look it up right now but I'll try to tomorrow or Monday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode