Broken Rear Seat Mounting Bolts - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By maddDogg33

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '92 Cabernet Red / Dark Charcoal XLT 5.0L & '94 Cabernet Red / Opal Gray 5.8L.
Garage
Broken Rear Seat Mounting Bolts

I'm trying to replace the carpeting in my '94, and was removing the brackets for the rear seat and broke two bolts off flush on the inside.

Any ideas how to get them out? Also, Any source for new bolts with that thread? I imagine any bolts I try to get in a junkyard will be worse trying to get out than my '94, which is a rust free California truck. I was surprised they all didn't just unscrew easily. I was able to get 2 bolts unscrewed, and then I broke one and figured it was a fluke. After the second one broke, I stopped.

'92 Cabernet Red / Dark Charcoal XLT 5.0L.
'94 Cabernet Red / Opal Gray XLT 5.8L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Weld a nut to whats left under the truck, crank it out. Specialty bolt place. Those are some big ****ers and they're fine thread. Other than that and maybe grade there's nothing special about them. There must have been something else going on. Mine is From Florida and the Bolts were in great shape. It would take alot to break one.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:58 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo 92FSB,
Had one broke when at dealership when having Child Safety Seat Tether Attachments installed for free.
Tried knocking the broken bolt's shank down and out, but no-go.
Bolts are 1/2-20 fine thread, 2 inches long. Bolt torque is 40-60 Lb-Ft

And an air gun to remove the frozen nuts under floor pan. Helped mechanic install it; needed him below and me cargo area to attach nut to bolt...

Try to grind the top of the bolt flat so you can get a center punch mark & then drill it 1/8" only, about 1/2" deep (basically the thickness of the nut that's holding it). Then drill it progressively larger until it spins out the bottom, or you get close to the threads. If it doesn't spin just from drilling, then try to grab it from below to screw it out the bottom.

As for the bolts & washers, we needed a LOT of PB Blaster POURED IN FROM ATOP. Prior, I had cleaned the threads below the nut with a Dremel wire wheel and sprayed PB . Some say the nut is welded to floor pan bottom, but we didn't see any evidence of this. The weld could have been a tack weld that rusted to dust.

Last second addition;

Here is a pic of the nuts;

by maddDogg33
Read his story on the bolts @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ken-bolts.html

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '92 Cabernet Red / Dark Charcoal XLT 5.0L & '94 Cabernet Red / Opal Gray 5.8L.
Garage
Thanks pfun41, but I'm not sure I will be able to find a 1/2-20 Fine Thread nut to weld on. If I had one, I'd probably snap the lower portion of the bolt off. I think I will try meisk5's suggestion and drill them. Maybe Fastenall can get me the 1/2-20 fine thread bolts I need.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I can't imagine the bolts would be welded to the floor pan. If it was, how would they install the carpet?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 12:50 AM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
on all my 78's the nut is welded to floorpan for ease of install on the line

if you have a welder,get some new nuts correct thread ,thread them on to remains of bolt on underside and weld nut to bolt,get it pretty warm and use a socket and bolt will probably thread right out the bottom easily unless it had a big shoulder on it
or it should not be too hard to drill it out
you can always just drill it straight through with a 1/2 drill bit and install a new grade 8 bolt and new nut on bottom side on top of welded one or drill 7/16 '' and run a tap in there to make the threads again
either way pretty easy area to work on drilling through and you can always use a coarse thread too if rethreading .
I do not recommend starting small and stepping up in drill sizes as it ruins drill bits as you begin relying only on the outer edge of the cutting lip,not using the complete cutting lip from center point of drill

it doesn't take too much effort to run a GOOD 1/2'' drill bit through the bolt ,just use a slow to moderate speed and some cutting or penetrating oil to keep drill bit cool,running your cheap single speed drill is not good here either, fast drill speed makes too much heat

also this is not the place for a harbour freight 3000 drill bits for $19 kind of a drill bit!
get a good metal bit and you will be glad you did
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92FSB View Post
I can't imagine the bolts would be welded to the floor pan. If it was, how would they install the carpet?
Yo 92,
The nut is welded to floor pan bottom, but we didn't see any evidence of this. The weld could have been a tack weld that rusted to dust. I should've written, "it is welded to underside of..."

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:18 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco XLT / 5.8L / Auto / MAF Conversion / Hydroboost / D60/Sterling 10.25 conversion
Ive had to just cut around bracket and put my carpet in that way. I put velcro on the bottom of the carpet to keep it from moving around. Those bolt heads with break the first chance they get. When I had my 95, I went though all that crap. I torched it, and torched it, and torched it. the heads broke, then I bought one of those stud grabbers and tried to remove it from the bottom. Then the stud broke off when I over torqued it with a 1/2' socket wrench. It took me 20 mins to remove the dog gone stud from the grabber. I then tried to drill it out. After blowing 3 bits and using different sized e-z outs, they were still in there. It's just easier to cut around those brackets.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer Bronco 351w Ku$tom PA!NT
Garage
Man I tried every trick that was recommended to me. All 4 seat bolts and the 2 latch bolts broke on me. The only way I got them out was drilling them out and putting new bolts and nuts. Took FOREVER and wore me out but that was the only way. I used the drill America cobalt bits. Broke a bunch of em but kept at it. Good luck.
miesk5 likes this.

1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer
351w Maroon
6" superlift 16" M/T Classic IIIs
315/75/16 Fierce Attitude MT's
Build Thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...26#post5008626
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:01 PM

Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Stock
And, I thought I was the only one to break those bolts........... I go without the rear seat, but at some future time will go after them. So, you guys are using ant seize with new ones.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:48 PM

Bronco Info: '96 EB, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356E, 3.55 LSD, Warn Hubs
Garage
I broke the rear seat latch bolts also when fixing up the rear area. Heating and drilling was the method that worked for me. Anti-seize was applied to the nuts in the floor and all the bolts for the rear seat and seatbelts. I've had them out a couple of times since I did that without any problems.

'96 Eddie Bauer, leather, 5.8L, 3.55 LSD, Bilstein 4600's, DC TC EXP 33x12.5x15, K&N stock replacement, 460 intake tube, Warn hubs.
They call me Dave. FSBI 2019
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:48 PM

Bronco Info: '92 Custom
Garage
I guess I got lucky removing mine. I went slow, turning counter-clockwise and clockwise as I felt was needed, using a breaker bar (easier to control leverage when you're not straining against a short ratchet) and PB Blaster. You can sort of sense the bolts getting hot from all the friction...give 'er a break and move to the other one.

'92 Bronco Build Thread - '95 MAF 5.0, H5 axle code, York OBA, 3G alt, custom jump seat console, flomaster steps/sliders.
http://www.supermotors.net/28006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode