Superlift Extended Radius Arm Install Help - Ford Bronco Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 EB 351W
Superlift Extended Radius Arm Install Help

I need to summon the BKO wizards to help me with a slight (BIG) problem I have. I'm in the process of installing the Front TTB Superlift 6'' lift kit with extended radius arms. The axle halves are in the pivot brackets but I cannot get the radius arms into their brackets. The axle is bending too much inward and the radius arms are far from being centered into the radius arm brackets on the frame. I installed the brackets exactly 18'' inches rearward from each hole as the instructions provided. What's going on with my kit/ me? Can someone please post pics of the Superlift Extended arm setup on their truck? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8895.jpg (417.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8896.jpg (431.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8899.jpg (398.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8900.jpg (446.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8898.jpg (408.6 KB, 12 views)

“With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one.”

― William of Ockham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:37 PM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Are the radius arms torqued to the axle beams? If so, loosen them, get the arms where they need to be, then tighten them.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:50 PM
Man of endless projects

Bronco Info: 96-Bronco 88-Bronco 90-F250
Garage
had this issue a couple times. assuming the RA bolts are loosened and the inner edge of the RA is against the beam, easiest solution is to move the RA brackets further back till it fits, unfortunatly it will move the wheel further back in the wheelwell and not be centered so you dont want to go too far back.

another alternative is grind on the inside edge of the radius arm where it is against the axle beam preventing it from moving more inward, with enough grinding you should be able to get it in enough.

you can try to wallow the RA tabs bolt holes out more where there is enouygh slop for the RA to pivot inward more. in a really bad case, i cut the tabs off the RA and welded a 1/4" washer inplace giving it enough for me to get it in, but that was specifically so i can move the axle forward a few inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Are my radius arms installed in correct direction, Is the driver's side radius arm supposed to be how it looks in the pics??

“With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one.”

― William of Ockham
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:31 PM
Man of endless projects

Garage
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:38 PM
TTB makes me sad

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT 5.8 E4OD 6" lift? on 33s manual hubs
Unfortunately I have nothing to add but to say I'm so glad my truck came already lifted with them on there. If need be I can take some pictures for you tomorrow and let you see what they are supposed to look like all done up and see if that helps.

96 XLT Green 5.8 E4OD on 33s
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:22 AM

Bronco Info: 86 XLT 351 HO, Holley 650, 3" Exhaust, 6L Up, 265/75R16 Dirt Commanders, & 85 302 EFI, AOD, 6L Up
Garage
I haven’t done this and haven’t read the directions but I thought about doing it and what’s involved quite a bit.

It would make more sense to me to put that end of the arm in first and then everything else since that joint has the most movement of the other mounting points.

Anyway, sry your having difficulty with it. Bummer. Gonna be great when your don’t though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When you have to shoot, shoot - don't talk.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford 4x4 View Post
Unfortunately I have nothing to add but to say I'm so glad my truck came already lifted with them on there. If need be I can take some pictures for you tomorrow and let you see what they are supposed to look like all done up and see if that helps.
Yes, a couple of pics if you could of the radius arm connected to the axle halves and how it enters the radius arm bracket. If you could post it on this thread would be better that way it might help future installers, thank you!

I'm going to try loosening the arms on the axle halves but even then I feel like they're still too separated from where the radius arm bracket is.

― William of Ockham
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:07 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
These are procomp extended arms...

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
These are procomp extended arms...

Do my arms resemble yours as far as the position it enters the bracket? Hard to tell from the pics

― William of Ockham
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:58 AM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
Yeah I think so. They are pretty similarly bent. The bracket holes dont point perfectly forwards, they point out just a bit. The difference I see is in the axle end mounting bracket. I feel you need to pivot that portion inward. It's kinda hard to get good pics of this stuff lol

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Man of endless projects

Garage
this is what prevents him from moving the RA more inward. the edge is against the axle beam. as i said he can try to grind that edge so it fits

or he can move the RA brackets back on the frame till it fits. but then the axle might be too far back and not centered in the wheelwell. it could look like mine did when i tried that

or extend the tabs of the RA so it will alow it to pivot more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190330_080307.jpg (109.6 KB, 123 views)
BigBlue 94 likes this.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the help guys please keep it coming. My biggest concern is that I don’t want to modify the arms significantly. I just bought this kit a few months ago (new) and don’t feel it should be this difficult to install or require modification. If I continue having problems I’m probably going to have to contact the manufacturer again. Anyone with the Superlift arms please post pics of your setup to get a better idea.

― William of Ockham
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: I was able to get both radius arms into their respective brackets. I loosened the top radius arm bolts that connect to the axle halves, jacked the arm and kicked it into the radius arm bracket, that gave enough play to work them into the brackets. For the driver side I had to completely remove the bottom radius arm to axle half bolt and now I'm having trouble getting it lined up to the hole to install it back in. I left the top bolt connected on the driver side arm but now need suggestions as to how to get the bottom bolt back into the axle half. What neat tricks do you guys recommend I try? I posted some pics so you guys can see what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8913.jpg (294.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8916.jpg (513.1 KB, 8 views)

― William of Ockham
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:43 PM

Bronco Info: 93 XLT Stock as of now
Loosen the top bolt more. I’m guessing the correct way to install those arms would be to put the radius arm bolts in loose first, put the rear radius arm bushing in as you lift the beam into the pivot. Just my guess if they don’t allow enough movement to go in any other way.
BigBlue 94 likes this.

-Travis
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:59 AM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
Porta-power, come-a-long, or a ratchet strap would help.

As TJ said, I put the radius arms in first, then jacked the beams up into their pivots.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:42 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
I usually block up the chassis and let the suspension hang a little so i can move it around easier. I then install the upper and lower bolts loosely and then use ratchet straps to move the arms forward or back. I also use another to pull them inward (sideways).

Here are mine installed. I custom fabricated the rear brackets to suit my application.

hcoll likes this.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday I loosened the top bolt on the axle half and was able to get the bottom one installed fully but now the top one is slightly cross threaded when I tighten it. I think I'm going to have to enlarge the hole on the radius arm so it goes in straight and not at an angle. I basically traded the bottom bolt of the radius arm for the top one, which is fine by me, at least I can see the hole without placing my head under the axle half. I tried ratchet straps to bring the radius arm hole closer to the hole on the axle half but the radius arm bottoms out on the axle, I'd either have to take off the arm completely and grind down the edge where it contacts the axle or make the radius arm hole slightly bigger, I'm going with the latter.

What tool and what size do you guys recommend to open up that radius arm hole bigger and what's the safest way to do it while its on the axle half without damaging the threads on the axle half hole?

― William of Ockham
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
A spot face cutter/ counter bore cutter. But I may be one of three people on here that own one.

Its essentially an end mill, with a hole on the cutting end. In that hole goes a mandrel to keep the cutter centered over the hole.

What size is the threaded hole and what size do you need for the radius arm hole?

You could run a bolt up from the bottom on the hole to protect the threads. Drill the hole bigger, and 95% of the threads will remain intact. The drill bit will just basically chamfer the threaded hole a bit.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
A spot face cutter/ counter bore cutter. But I may be one of three people on here that own one.

Its essentially an end mill, with a hole on the cutting end. In that hole goes a mandrel to keep the cutter centered over the hole.

What size is the threaded hole and what size do you need for the radius arm hole?

You could run a bolt up from the bottom on the hole to protect the threads. Drill the hole bigger, and 95% of the threads will remain intact. The drill bit will just basically chamfer the threaded hole a bit.
If I'm not mistaken I believe the hole is 3/8''. I'm also considering sandwiching an aluminum plate between the radius arm and the axle beam to prevent the drill or whatever I use to go into the hole's threads. That is a peculiar tool BigBlue, I guess I will try a dremel tool or a drill with a burr to open the hole, might take forever but I'll let you guys know.

― William of Ockham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode