• 1 Post By fodder
  • 1 Post By I6-Kid
  • 1 Post By csilvestri
  • 2 Post By AbandonedBronco
  • 1 Post By nekkidhillbilly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Retractable Underhood Light

So I stumbled upon one of the retractable underhood lights from the 80s at the JY yesterday. Seems info on these is few and far between. So I'd like anyone with info on these to chime in

These lights came on Ford trucks in the 80s. Mine is an 82 revision. They were apparently part of two option groups: the lighting group and the underhood toolbox group. Lariats automatically got the lighting group. Similar versions came on Jeeps from the same era. A different design came on heavy GM trucks and some suburbans, and its arguably better, due to not relying on a spring to retract, and use a crank lever instead.

As mentioned, the spring is a weak point. These can be opened up and repaired, but it requires drilling out the tiny rivets holding the case halves together.

They contain a mercury switch, that shuts them off when the hood is closed. This can cause problems with battery drain if you park on a steep hill.

I have read of guys removing the mercury switch and wiring it to a toggle switch. I've also seen guys replace the incandescent bulb with a LED.

The actual lamp head has a magnet so it sticks onto any metal surface. There is something like 20 feet of cord, so the lamp will reach any point on the vehicle.

A little window cleaner and Back to Black cleaned the case up real well.

Most of the bulb covers are hazy, glazed, or broken. Be careful removing and cleaning them. I took mine off and used the same glass cleaner on it, inside and out. Then some mothers aluminum polish to really crisp it up. Mine was in considerably good shape.

Before

After

Wiring these is simple. The 80s trucks already have a connection in the wiring harness, to the right of the brake booster. Otherwise, it just needs a 12v source, whether switched or constant (your choice) and a ground. It mounts to the hood bracing with two screws.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section

Last edited by BigBlue 94; 05-19-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:31 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo Big,
For posterity,
Under-Hood, Mercury Removal Guide, Bronco, Ford, 70-95, etc. @ https://ecology.wa.gov/Regulations-P...switch-removal
BigBlue 94 and Wrencher61 like this.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miesk5 View Post
Yo Big,
For posterity,
Under-Hood, Mercury Removal Guide, Bronco, Ford, 70-95, etc. @ https://ecology.wa.gov/Regulations-P...switch-removal
I think that's why you dont find these very often, as they are simply removed
miesk5 likes this.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Man of endless projects

Bronco Info: 96-Bronco 88-Bronco 90-F250
Garage
got one of them in my shed i got from junkyard long time ago. one day ill install it. also got one with a crank from some other vehicle.
BigBlue 94 likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:46 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0 5-speed
Wow, nice find, shes a beauty
congrats

96 Bronco 5.0
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:09 PM

Bronco Info: 11/93 production date. 5.0 engine, M.A.F. , TTB front, 1356 manual shift transfer, 8.8 3.55 L.S.
Old Nissan/Datsun Z-cars had a small lamp and cord. I never knew Fords had them. Cool, something else to look for in JY.
BigBlue 94 likes this.

I have been known to sometimes sing “The Hero of Canton” song from the tv show ‘Firefly’ while making breakfast on a weekend morning....
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:32 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Eddie Bauer
Garage
That's a sweet find, pretty neat. The junkyard by me has a few 80s ford trucks in the lot so maybe ill go take a look.....
BigBlue 94 likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Wild Cayuse

Garage
This is the first one I've seen in probably 30 to 40 or so 80s fords in the yards. Good luck to anyone searching.

This one was at an actual Pick-N-Pull.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Bronco Info: 86 XLT 351 HO, Holley 650, 3" Exhaust, 6L Up, 265/75R16 Dirt Commanders, & 85 302 EFI, AOD, 6L Up
Garage
Retractable Underhood Light

Both my 85 and 86 have them. Kind of cool. I have a $10 LED flashlight that puts out more light then 10 of them though; and it’s cordless

Nice job cleaning yours up.

They also have a magnet on one side for holding the light while in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BigBlue 94 likes this.

When you have to shoot, shoot - don't talk.
https://binged.it/2LnJaeA
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:57 PM

Bronco Info: '92 Custom
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggum View Post
Both my 85 and 86 have them. Kind of cool. I have a $10 LED flashlight that puts out more light then 10 of them though; and it’s cordless

They also have a magnet on one side for holding the light while in use.
I have flashlights scattered around the house and in each vehicle, and half the time I grab one, the batteries are dead... It's especially bad with the ones in the vehicles, as their batteries tend to get cooked in the sun and leak.

So, while the retractable underhood light tech may be old, it's way more useful for its intended purpose, IMO.
BigBlue 94 likes this.

'92 Bronco Build Thread - '95 MAF 5.0, H5 axle code, York OBA, 3G alt, custom jump seat console, flomaster steps/sliders.
http://www.supermotors.net/28006
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:10 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 Ranger XLT, I6/SROD/NP208, 3G/PMGR
Garage
My dad's '86 truck came with one that still works perfectly, but the one on my Bronco had a stuck spring; I almost ground up the light in the fan at one point.

That's interesting about the tool box and the light being a combined option, as my dad's '80 truck has the under hood tool box, but no light to be found...looks like I'll have to find one
BigBlue 94 likes this.

Tough to kill an old six
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:22 AM

Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, E4OD, Manual 4x4, Auto Hubs, Magnaflow 93312 Y-Pipe & 12636 Muffler, Soft Top
Here's a useful post from another forum:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-install.html

If you Google "retractable underhood light" you'll find all kinds of info. on the Ford and GM style ans well as many others. They can currently be had for as low as $15 via eBay depending on the type/make. DO a search and check it out if you're looking for an OEM setup. Obviously, there are TONS of new aftermarket things that are universal, but some of the OEM ones are out there at a decent price if that's what you're after.
BigBlue 94 likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Garage
^ Typical prices appear to be in the $40-50 range, but perhaps $15 is doable with enough searching.

'92 Bronco Build Thread - '95 MAF 5.0, H5 axle code, York OBA, 3G alt, custom jump seat console, flomaster steps/sliders.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Wild Cayuse

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by csilvestri View Post
Here's a useful post from another forum:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-install.html

If you Google "retractable underhood light" you'll find all kinds of info. on the Ford and GM style ans well as many others. They can currently be had for as low as $15 via eBay depending on the type/make. DO a search and check it out if you're looking for an OEM setup. Obviously, there are TONS of new aftermarket things that are universal, but some of the OEM ones are out there at a decent price if that's what you're after.
Lol that's the thread I got most my info from!

I'm really considering an LED replacement bulb to brighten it up.

ITT is the company that made both Ford and Jeep/AMC ones.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:36 AM
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1985 300ci 6cyl. ZF 5 speed manual. 32" tires. DUI ignition. Holley Sniper EFI.
The biggest issue I've had with these is that they're just an area light, since they don't have a focal point. Useful if you need to just be able to see, but not if you need to look at something in particular. But they sure are cool, and at this point, a lot of these things are simply about the cool, rarity factor.

I never thought about switching to an LED, so maybe I'll try that.

My '81 and '85 both came with the underhood light while my '84 only came with the simple underhood bulb. None of them came with the underhood toolbox (had to put that in myself).

Opening them up is pretty easy as you just drill out the rivets and then close it back up with either new rivets, or little bolts/nuts so you can easily open it back up.
On my '81, the mercury switch had rusted and broken, so I just wired it solid and put in a toggle switch. Unfortunately, it's actually more likely that you'll drain your battery with it, since it's easy to forget to switch it back off, but it works. :)

The hardest thing to fix is when they no longer retract. My brother has one in his '95 Jeep Cherokee that is all unraveled and he has it wrapped up and held with a zip tie. He's thinking of opening it up and just removing the retractor and installing a hand crank so he can just roll it up himself.

Either way, cool find!
BigBlue 94 and Wrencher61 like this.

May 2019 FOTM
March 2016 FOTM

1985 Eddie Bauer Bronco. High Performance 9.1:1 compression 300 (305) I6. Roller Rockers, DUI ignition, Holley Sniper EFI. ZF5. 32" BFG A/T KO2s. 3.55 8.8" rear.
1981 Bronco Custom (R.I.P.)
Supermotors Pics
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:06 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, E4OD, Manual 4x4, Auto Hubs, Magnaflow 93312 Y-Pipe & 12636 Muffler, Soft Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by fodder View Post
^ Typical prices appear to be in the $40-50 range, but perhaps $15 is doable with enough searching.

The eBay item number for the $15 one is: 283481978401
It is the suction cup version, but it is New Old Stock and I assume you could remove the suction cup and add a magnet... who knows.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by csilvestri View Post
The eBay item number for the $15 one is: 283481978401
It is the suction cup version, but it is New Old Stock and I assume you could remove the suction cup and add a magnet... who knows.
I didn't catch that one, since it was listed under Hobbs instead of GM/Chevy/Ford. That's the way to find the best deals...stuff that isn't listed under the best terms and most people miss it! Less so now that most stuff has gone away from true auction listings, though.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:24 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 xlt 302 aod aka ronco
Garage
you could put a toggle in line also that way it could be turned off and on and still function like oem. or your could put a button switch like a fridge or trunk. hood closed light off hood open light on. led would be good idea. I would do a toggle and button switch and swap to led.
BigBlue 94 likes this.

90 xlt bronco 302 aod (ronco)
07 Silverado 3500 cc lb 6.0
66 buick gs 401 nailhead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode