What's the better PCV location - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By MS88Bronc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '92 bronco 302 w/ E4OD
Garage
What's the better PCV location

I installed a 5.8L and opted for a Lightning lower intake to support a future Kenne Bell installation.
This lower as a PCV location in the rear of the lower and i still have the PCV location.
i suck oil from both of these locations so I'm not preferring one over the other right now

my questions are:
1) does either location provide better ventilation than other?
2) I've seen setups in which the fuel canister purge vacuum is routed to a type of T at the top of the PCV valve. Any concerns about using this approach? I have limited vacuum ports on the upper intake and this seems like a good T location.
3) Since the PCV location in the lower intake sits below the PCV location on the passenger valve cover, what are the thoughts on this setup to help allow any sucked up oil to drain back:
A) install PCV valve at passenger side valve cover
B) install an open port at the PCV valve location on the lower intake (basically something like a hollowed out PCV valve)
C) install a T between these above to locations and plumb to a vacuum port on the upper.

351W upgrade, gt-40 lower, FMS M-9000 L58 mass air conversion, K&N, full Bassani exhaust, 4" rancho (Kenne Bell SC 2.2 on deck)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:52 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
There may be another option - use a PCV catch can between the PCV valve and vacuum port. You could probably make one or talk to @BigBlue 94 as I think he might make them once in a while.
bsd4083 and LVSteve like this.

MS88Bronc
Don't be fooled by the name,
1996 XL with 5.8L/E4OD/BW1356,
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
***GO NOMINATE AND VOTE FOR FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH HERE!!***
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo 92,
Consider, Vacuum Supply Hose Rerouting in 87-93 5.0 Bronco, F Series & vans; Failure of the #8 piston or the #8 rod or rod bearing; "...Failure of the #8 piston or the #8 rod or rod bearing in Ford 5.0L, V-8 gas engines. Solution: During engine installation, reroute the PCV valve vacuum supply hose. Follow these steps: Plug the 3/8" (pipe) thread hole in the rear of the plenum where the PCV valve hose is connected. Drill and tap a 3/8" pipe thread hole in the center of the plenum and thread the PCV connector into it. Reconnect the PCV valve vacuum supply hose to the new location. Be sure the drain hole in the baffle is open. The baffle is under the PCV location in the valve cover. Installers who have rerouted the PCV system and opened the baffle drain hole have not reported any #8 cylinder failures..."
Source: by fourstarengines.com via Four Star remanufactured engines and transmissions - tips

As MS88BRONC advised, see the PCV catch can in Crankcase Breather Jar pic in an 85; "...splice into the line between the PCV and the intake. in between add a jar with 2 holes on top. one is an inlet and the other is an outlet. on the inlet side add a tube with a screen on the end which will trap the oily fumes from the air. so now u have fresh air going into the intake..."

Source: by Chris85xlt (Chris C ( Erika)

Here is the Vacuum Supply Hose Rerouting Discussion in 87-93 5.0
Source: by members at https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...-tsb-ford.html

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
I cant help much with the original questions, but I have made a couple catch cans. The one on my bronco works real well.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode