What to replace when replacing tranny - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By CrazyBRONCOguy
  • 1 Post By Kingfish999

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

What to replace when replacing tranny

I am going to replace my transmission. What other things should I clean/ replace so I can maximize the life of my new transmission?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:14 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo Cody,
Please fill out your Bronco Info with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses. Click User CP Edit Your Details.

Good time to inspect & replace, if necessary Rear Main Seal, & transmission mount.
Before installing transmission, check wiring harness for damage. Check connector for electrical integrity (terminal condition, corrosion, contamination and seal integrity). Repair or replace as required.

Check condition of transmission fluid filler tube O-ring, replace if damaged. Install fluid filler tube.

Fluid Level Low, Low Transmission Fluid Level And Or Shift And Or Engagement Concerns TSB 97-12-13 for 87-96 Bronco & many others; "...transmission may have low fluid level and/or may have either a shift concern and/or an engagement concern. This may be caused by transmission fluid leaking from the transmission into the transfer case through the transfer case input seal. Replace the transfer case input seal..." read more
Source: by Ford

"...Be sure to flush and backflush the transmission cooler lines thoroughly before re-installing the rebuilt tranny. You can get a can of trans line flush spray can from NAPA - they didn't sell it at Autozone, Pepboys or O'Reilly's here in Dallas, though. Some places even advise you to replace the radiator with a new one in case the in-radiator cooler lines got clogged up with burned-up gunky fluid. I decided to bypass mine altogether and tie the trans cooler lines into a trans cooler. The cooler I have, though, is too small to act as a stand-alone in my opinion, so I'm going to go with a much bigger tube and fin cooler with an electric fan.
One last thing. Ford TSB requires you install an exterior, in-line filter, which the dealer sells for about $65-$75. It recommends that it be installed after the trans cooler and right before returning to the tranny, presumably to catch any little pieces of gunk that might have gotten dislodged out of the stock in-radiator cooler. Since I bypassed the in-radiator cooler, I put mine right before the trans cooler so as not to gunk it up." by equin

GL!

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:32 AM

Bronco Info: 95 Ox White/Blue Int 5.8L 2” Level 33" Ridge Grapplers 17x9 M/T Classic IIIs Punisher Valve Body
Assuming you have a E4OD id put a punisher valve body in it too.

EVERYTHING MANUAL EXCEPT THE TRANSMISSION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Punisher for sure, also I like to add an extra cooler and an external filter, and also either swap to a pan with a drain plug or add one to current one.
fordbronco1995 likes this.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:10 PM

Bronco Info: 94 XLT 5.8 -alum heads, dual plane/holley 650,headers, HEI ign -M5OD-
When my E4 went out I bought a 92 f-150 with a blown 302 for 800- and swapped everything over to a 5 speed. Shifts perfect now for less and more fun.

94 5.8 - pro comp heads - holley 650 - stainless headers, short sidepipe exhaust - MSD ign -NO COMPUTERS!! . M5OD-R2, 1345, 3:55, 33"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Man of endless projects

Bronco Info: 96-Bronco 88-Bronco 90-F250
Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode