THE EXHAUST THREAD. - Ford Bronco Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Call Me Ace

Bronco Info: 1989 Full Size 302- sponsered
THE EXHAUST THREAD.

I keep seeing all of these questions asking about exhaust setups.
Some people ask for diagrams to see how their exhaust will be different from the stock setup.
I made some diagrams in MS Paint to show people what the difference is between a bone stock setup and a basic new exhaust setup.

This is a diagram of the stock setup:

This is a diagram of a basic "dual-out" setup:

The modified setup above is a basic "New" system. Headers, y-pipe, High- flow Catalytic Converter, Single in/ Dual out Muffler, and chrome tips.

Im going to address the Stock Setup and its Common Downfalls first. i will explain parts from left to right in the diagram- starting with the manifolds.

Stock Manifolds often crack when going through high water. the heating and sudden cooling of the cast is too much for the metal and causes it to crack.
These stock manifolds were not made with performance in mind. they work- but they dont do anything for MPG or HP.

The stock Y-pipe is a basic thing. besides rust, nothing really goes wrong with it.

Dual Catalytic Converters are not needed. they block alot of sound and cut down performance. After so many years, they get clogged up and can cause engine trouble such as spuddering.

The Stock Muffler is pretty basic. many times, these will rust out, and they arent any good for sound.

The stock Tailpipe often rusts, or the hanger will break- causing the tailpipe to hang lower to the ground. this isnt good because it can drag against speed bumps, and also adds stress to the other exhaust components.

The New Exhaust System.

Headers (shorties or long tube) will increase performance and MPG. They do so because of the smooth bends in the tubing- which means less restriction of air flow.

New y-pipes can be either bought and modified or custom made. Exhaust shops will usually need to make a custom y-pipe to plumb a new system. you can buy a bassoni y-pipe and modify it to fit also. you CAN use you stock y-pipe- but you might need to cut and modify it to fit the new components.

High-flow Catalytic Converter replaces the two stock converters. this high-flow converter will increase performance by allowing exhaust to flow out easier.

New Mufflers can be single in/dual out or single in/single out- all depending on what you want. you will get a better tone out of an after-market muffler.

Chrome Tips can be used for a nice appearance- but some people prefer to save the money and just get plain tube tailpipes. this is really just a personal prefrence in apperance.

I, and many others, suggest a 2.5"-3" diameter tubing through the new system to help with air flow and to "open up" the system.

The following is information about the different options in components for a new system.

HEADERS:
there are two types of headers: Short tube ("shorties") and Long tube.
short tube headers are easy to find and are great for people who either have or plan on doing an SAS (solid axle swap).
long tube headers are also fairly easy to find for your application, but cannot be used on SAS trucks becuase they interfere.

You can get headers at Summit racing.com, JEGS.com, Autozone, Checkers, etc.

As for brand names for headers, there are MANY to choose from.
Hooker, BBK, PaceSetter, Summit (PaceSetter with a Summit logo), Hedmen, FordRacing, etc.

Summit shorty headers are cheap- but the
quality of the product is said to be lacking.
Hooker is a good brand, but are a bit pricey.
BBK has a great reputation, but people have had problems with them bolting right up to their truck- you might find the holes to be ovaled instead of circular. BBK is also a bit pricey- but their quality is great.
PaceSetter is a fair medium. they arent too expencive (around $200-250 depending on where you find them). their quality is fairly good, but have had reports of minor leaking without gaskets.
Hedman headers are priced fairly for their quality and are common among this site. some boltup issues have been covered recently here.
Ford Racing headers are also a good quality product. a bit pricey- but youre getting what you pay for.

Y-PIPE:
If you plan on having an exhaust shop install your new system- they will most likely make a custom y-pipe for your truck. you can make them yourself, but you need to have WELDING skills.
you can also buy the Bassani Y-pipe or the Catco Y-pipe. the Bassani is mandrel bent 2.5" tubing merged into 3" tubing.
the Catco is compression (normal bend) bent 2" tubing merged into 2.25" tubing.
most people here have said the bassani is better.
depending on the year of your truck- YOU MIGHT NEED AN O2 SENSOR PORT ON THE Y-PIPE.

HIGH-FLOW CATALYTIC CONVERTER:as with the other components- there are many different brands to choose from.
The only thing you should REALLY keep in mind is to buy the converter that matches the diameter of tubing you are using to plumb your exhaust. YOU ONLY NEED ONE CATALYTIC CONVERTER WITH YOUR NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM. the factory put TWO on- but you will only need ONE high-flow cat.

MUFFLER:most people go for a single in/dual out muffler because it is hard to run "True Dual" exhaust (a setup involving an 'X' pipe instead of a 'Y'. giving each header its own muffler)
Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Dynomax, Borla, and Flowtech are just SOME of the brands to choose from.
Things to keep in mind are:
Cost
Interior sound preference
Exterior sound preference
Diameter of tubing
Number of exiting ports

you may want to consider going to your local exhaust shop and asking them about different mufflers to find one that best suites the sound youre looking for.

CHROME TIPS/ TAILPIPES:usually- people dont go for a "name brand" tip. the local exhaust shop has them for sale, and so does your local parts store.

you can run your tailpipes MANY ways:
dump before the rear axle (hidden pipes)
exit behind rear tires (side exit- behind bumper)
exit straight out the back (routed around the gas tank)

there are pro/cons to each of these:

dumping before the rear axle:
Pros- some people dont like seeing their exhaust- and you have less of a chance of damaging the exhaust while wheeling.
Cons- if you have weak floor pans- you might get exhaust fumes in your cab...not good.

exiting behind the rear tires:
Pros- you can use chrome tips and make it look nice. you also have the protection of the bumper and tire.
Cons- the tire can kick up debris and possibly damage the tips. They get dirty EASILY.

exiting straight out the back:
Pros- alot of people like the look.
Cons- if you ride with your rear window down- prepare to suffer!

there are many other ways to run the tail of your exhaust (depending on your state's emissions standards)- these three are most common though.

i PERSONALLY run
PaceSetter shorty headers with custom collectors
custom y-pipe (2.5" through out)
Magnaflow High-Flow Catalytic Converter
Magnaflow "Wide Open" single in/dual out muffler
21" long/ 3.5" opening chrome tips
The tips exit at ~45degree angles between the tires and rear bumper.
I used 2.5" tubing through the system.

I hope this will answer some questions, if you still havnt seen the answer to your question- use the search to look through past threads on the subject.

GUYS WHO ALLREADY HAVE A NEW SYSTEM- POST UP YOUR SETUP SO OTHERS SEE THEIR OPTIONS!

Ace
marinephinfan likes this.

The 89' 302 is gone...
00' F250, 7.3l, 4x4, extended cab, long bed. RanchHand bumpers, toolbox, custom TYMAR intake, 4" turbo-back exhaust(dumped before rear axle), Edge chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
wow that must have taken you a while to type....anyways.. i run hedman full-length headers, true duals through flowmaster 40s and out some stainless tips behind the rear wheels. no cats

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #3 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:36 PM

Bronco Info: 1990, 351w, e4od, eddie bauer, and the sickest exhaust ever
I have Ford racing shorties, to an off-road Bassani Y pipe, to flowmaster 40 series.

Stuff done so far: rebuilt 351w, Warn standards, Flowmaster 40 series, Bassani off-road y-pipe, FordRacing headers, B&M aux. tranny cooler, MSD cap and rotor, MSD coil, FordRacing plug wires, and Aussie locked rear

Supermotors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:38 PM
I have a Straight Six

Bronco Info: (SOLD) 1992 Bronco XLT, 6" BDS, 35" Pro-Comp, 4.9L I-6, E4OD
Good post man... Only one thing. Stock Ford setup is 2 pipes going INTO the first cat. You have a Y-pipe, then 1 pipe in.

But damn... that's a good post. lol.

Aaron

1987 Chevy K10 4x4, 4.3L TBI V6, 700R4, SWB, 31" A/T's
1994 F-150 XLT 5.8L, E4OD, 2WD, Reg. Cab, LWB.
2011 Chevy Colorado LT 3.7L I-5, 2wd (Company Truck)
Quote:
[Gillamonster] 9:50 pm: broncos will suck you dry if you arnt careful
post #5 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Call Me Ace

The 89' 302 is gone...
00' F250, 7.3l, 4x4, extended cab, long bed. RanchHand bumpers, toolbox, custom TYMAR intake, 4" turbo-back exhaust(dumped before rear axle), Edge chip.
post #6 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Call Me Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbronco92
Good post man... Only one thing. Stock Ford setup is 2 pipes going INTO the first cat. You have a Y-pipe, then 1 pipe in.

But damn... that's a good post. lol.

Aaron
fixed it.
thanks!
ace

The 89' 302 is gone...
post #7 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:55 PM
ladies enjoy his

Bronco Info: 96, 6'' lift, rebuilt axles, stereo, lots of other stuff
i smell a sticky...possibly

SOLD THE BRONCO, but still sticking around

Supermotors for my Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillamonster View Post
dancing is something i should not compete in
post #8 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Arrow Nosed 5.8. SAS, 35" Cooper STT PRO 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
Neat

post #9 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 11:33 PM

Bronco Info: 88 FSB EB. 5.0/AOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94
wow that must have taken you a while to type....anyways.. i run hedman full-length headers, true duals through flowmaster 40s and out some stainless tips behind the rear wheels. no cats
Me too...'cept with Hooker headers.

Very good post, i really think this was needed. Maybe throw up a general true dual diagram, ya know, cover all the bases.
post #10 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:03 AM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Bronco Info: rusty
5.0L vs 5.8L headers

Bassani STAINLESS 5.0L Y-pipe without Catalytic Converter
Part # 50150B2

Bassani STAINLESS 5.8L Y-pipe without Catalytic Converter
Part # 58150B2

Bassani STAINLESS 5.8L Y-pipe with Catalytic Converter
Part # 58150B3

Bassani STAINLESS 3in Tail Pipe & muffler
Part # 50150B5

Bassani STAINLESS 1993-95 Lightning 5.8L X-pipe without Catalytic Converter
Part # 58150L2

Bassani STAINLESS 1993-95 Lightning 5.8L X-pipe with Catalytic Converter
Part # 58150L3
post #11 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 AM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Catco Y-pipe with Catalytic Converter
post #12 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:31 AM

Bronco Info: 1992, 5.0, M5OD, warn hubs, Catco y-pipe
You forgot the Ford Racing Headers in your list, they have very good quality. A word of caution for the BBK headers quality, see HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinElvis
the Catco is compression (normal bend) bent 2.25" tubing merged into 2.5" tubing.
FYI: The Catco setup is 2" tubing merged into 2.25" tubing.

1992 Custom, Rebuilt 5.0L, M5OD swap, BW1356.
Warn hubs, K&N filter, Catco Y-pipe, Ford Racing Headers, 3G Alt, Saginaw PS Pump, E-Fan.
Pioneer head unit and 220W 3-way speakers.
My Supermotors.
post #13 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 AM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

here is my (old) complete exhaust system I had made without Catalytic Converter.
I switched to the Bassani system
post #14 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:40 AM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Watch out for the rear brake hose on the right side if you opt for dual exhaust!

post #15 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Call Me Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfisherman
You forgot the Ford Racing Headers in your list, they have very good quality. A word of caution for the BBK headers quality, see HERE

FYI: The Catco setup is 2" tubing merged into 2.25" tubing.
i added FordRacing and fixed the tubing diameter for the Catco y-pipe.

systolic- ill draw up that True Dual setup tomorrow and get it posted. thanks for the suggestion.

Fireguy- great pics. thanks for showing the different y-pipes!

if the MODS think this is Sticky worthy- throw it up top. i think it would be nice to have a thread on this subject so we dont have to answer the same "what should i do with my exhaust" questions.

keep adding your info guys- this should be a one stop thread, so post up whatever you have to offer!
ace

The 89' 302 is gone...
post #16 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Call Me Ace

i made a True Dual diagram and hyperlinked it.
Quote:
MUFFLER:most people go for a single in/dual out muffler because it is hard to run "True Dual" exhaust (a setup involving an 'X' pipe instead of a 'Y'. giving each header its own muffler)
ace

The 89' 302 is gone...
post #17 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:37 PM
The Anti Yam!

Bronco Info: 86 Bronco XLT 357w/AOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinElvis
i made a True Dual diagram and hyperlinked it.

ace
Thats not the way you run true duals on these trucks. If you want to run true duals you run both pipes stacked down the pass side till you get past the transfer case.

Just like the pics off the Bassani "X" pipe that Ryan posted.

86 Bronco - 357W/AOD - 6" suspension lift, 3" body lift - 38" TSL Radials - 456:1 Gears
Sequential Multiport Mass-Air Fuel Injection from a 93 Mustang GT

My SuperMotors Site - My Engine

The Greatest Thread on FSB
post #18 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Call Me Ace

i was just showing the basic setup and components you would use.

it would be hard to show (in MS Paint) the stacking on True Duals for a Bronco.

thanks.
ace

The 89' 302 is gone...
post #19 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:32 PM

Bronco Info: 86 f150 sas in progress
I actually had mine ran the way he did his diagram. Since I have a body lift, the shop ran the drivers side up over the transfercase. I still have cats also. Im stuck with my body lift now but it doesnt bother me.

91 F150, 351/AOD, dana 60/sterling 10.25, 42" iroks....RIP
03 F250 7.3
86 F150, d60 sas in progress
post #20 of 315 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:46 PM

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer
Is an "H" or "X" pipe necessary for a dual set-up? I have a dual set-up that I just got off another Bronco so everything is already bent and ready to go in but he wasn't running cats or any kind of crossover pipe. Could you use a dual in/out cat. conv. to act as the balance point for the exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode