300 six Bronco... Offy intake and split header install. 56k Warning!!! - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: Big Blue - 85 Bronco
300 six Bronco... Offy intake and split header install. 56k Warning!!!

Got a deal on an offy intake and a set of split headers this week. Not sure what brand the headers are, but they clear everything perfectly (looks like it will be a P.I.T.A to change the starter now though) The intake is an Offenhauser "C" series single plane aluminum intake. Anyway, here are some pics so far, it was dark when I finished up tonight so I'll snap some "finished" pics in the morning and after the new carb gets here. (Right now it just has the old 2bbl sitting on it.)

Here is a shot of the new stuff, they were used parts and the headers were rusted almost as bad as my Bronco's rear quarters... Anyway, I had them sand blasted and I sprayed them with some heat resistant flat black paint... I know I know... cheap, but they're just gonna get mud on them so what the heck right!

Here's my fugly engine before...

30 mins. later that ugly P.O.S. is gone... I love straight sixes, everything is so much easier to get to.

Look at how much more constricted the flow is here compared to the single plane offy intake in the first picture... WOOHOO!!! More air, more gas, more power!!!

This bracket did something at some point... maybe A/C??? Not sure, this isn't the original motor and my Bronco never had A/C to start with, but I know all I need is the bottom end of the bracket to hold the alternator... that top part is right in the way of my front header tube...

I'll get the other pics up tomorrow, it does look really clean now though... and sounds kick ass with two open headers!!! I'm sure the neighbor's really appreciated my tinkering with it out there all evening

I'm hoping that with a set of magna flow or flowmaster muflers I can get a decent sound out of it... I want it to sound more like a V-8 and nothing like a ricer with a coffee can on the tail pipe. When it was stock it had a single turbo muffler and it might as well had a regular muffler... it was pretty quiet really.

MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE
1985 Bronco
4.9L I6 - 6" SkyJacker Suspension Lift - 38.5x14.50 Super Swamper TSL-SX's (Modified Tread)

LOTS OF RUST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:15 PM

Bronco Info: 83 I-6
do you want to sell that 2 barrel addapter? if so pm me how much I have been looking to get a clifford or offy but may not find one before wheeling season at least I can get a 2 bbl on mine with that also have you considered switching to the chevy rocker arms?

83 bronco I-6 custom fenders(sawzall and sledge) 38" ground hawgs,TTB
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by montster View Post
do you want to sell that 2 barrel addapter? if so pm me how much I have been looking to get a clifford or offy but may not find one before wheeling season at least I can get a 2 bbl on mine with that also have you considered switching to the chevy rocker arms?
I haven't researched the chevy rocker arm thing much, but I have heard of it. I'm getting an edlebrock 600cfm 4 bbl this week, and still wrestling with which cam to get with it. Does the chevy rocker arm swap require machining or pulling the head? And what is gained? The 2 bbl adapter I have is actually for a chevy, it's to swap a 2bbl carb onto a chevy I-6 intake... I just slotted the holes a bit to make it work. Your welcome to it if you want it, if you'll cover shipping you can have it.

MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE
1985 Bronco
4.9L I6 - 6" SkyJacker Suspension Lift - 38.5x14.50 Super Swamper TSL-SX's (Modified Tread)

LOTS OF RUST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 10:12 AM

Bronco Info: Very stock '92, 300 CID, M5OD, no lockers, no super-low gears, no big fat n' tall tires, no nothing!
Looks nice, maybe when I gather some money I'll get rid of my cheesy single-barrel...

Don't mind searching for 300 six mods, this place seems to be only about V8 trucks...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I have a Straight Six

Bronco Info: (SOLD) 1992 Bronco XLT, 6" BDS, 35" Pro-Comp, 4.9L I-6, E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejoint View Post
Don't mind searching for 300 six mods, this place seems to be only about V8 trucks...
Not really... Just there are alot more Bronco's with V8's out there, and the V8's have a million more performance add-on's than us Inline guys.

1987 Chevy K10 4x4, 4.3L TBI V6, 700R4, SWB, 31" A/T's
1994 F-150 XLT 5.8L, E4OD, 2WD, Reg. Cab, LWB.
2011 Chevy Colorado LT 3.7L I-5, 2wd (Company Truck)
Quote:
[Gillamonster] 9:50 pm: broncos will suck you dry if you arnt careful
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 02:02 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 Ford Bronco XLT 351W
flowmasters on a split-exhaust 300 sounds pretty nice. a buddy of mine has a 300 in a F100 with a later engine that is supposed to be EFI, he has a carb on it and later EFI (slpit) exhaust manifolds down to true duals with flowmaster 40's on it.

Has a nice sound at idle, and sounds mysteriously like a diesel going down the road...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1985 300ci 6cyl. ZF 5 speed manual. 32" tires. DUI ignition. Holley Sniper EFI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejoint View Post
Looks nice, maybe when I gather some money I'll get rid of my cheesy single-barrel...

You're probably going to find that most anywhere you go. Here's kind of why: this is a poll I did a little while back.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=72632

Also, looking forward to pictures of everything on the engine. That's the exact setup I'm wanting to do to my six so I look forward to hearing about how it does!!

March 2016 FOTM
1985 Eddie Bauer Bronco. High Performance 9.1:1 compression 300 (305) I6. Roller Rockers, DUI ignition, Holley Sniper EFI. ZF5. 32" BFG A/T KO2s
Supermotors Pics
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Bronco Info: '84 inline six holley 390 clifford headers and intake msd 6a igniton w/duraspark
Nice. I'd like to see how you fabricate a throttle cable linkage when you're done. I just cut the stock bracket down a bit. Also, how did you set up your PCV system?

I would love to have a diesel sounding FSB. Too many setups I've heard at exhaustsoundclips sound ricey.

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15588

"We dance like marionettes, swaying, to the symphony of destruction."
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 05:30 PM

Bronco Info: F-150, 4x4, 6" Lift, 35x12.5x15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekiser View Post
Nice. I'd like to see how you fabricate a throttle cable linkage when you're done. I just cut the stock bracket down a bit. Also, how did you set up your PCV system?

I would love to have a diesel sounding FSB. Too many setups I've heard at exhaustsoundclips sound ricey.
Here is the sound of mine. Split Manifolds, pre cat, 2.25" exhaust tube, 12" long glass pack....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=MVI_1489.flv
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco
Quote:

When I did all this to a F-150 I had years back, I used a Lokar throttle cable and bracket.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 06:06 PM

The way I attached the cable to the firewall was by pulling the factory throttle cable all apart than cutting the mounting tab off with a band saw,
...the part in the red square...:

drilled the center hole larger to accept the lokar throttle end, than painted it silver.

It looked better than the bag ass washer I used first.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

I bought a new throttle cable for it, it's a stock one. (the plastic sleve was broke on mine). I'm not sure it has enough travel for the edlebrock 4bbl though. I was playing with it last night and it may be ok, it's hard to tell since the secondaries open based on air flow and not the throttle position, I won't really know if it will work until I get it running again I guess. As soon as the weather cooperates I'll get it back together and get some pics of the bracket I made and stuff... Sorry for the delay guys, it's been raining and spitting snow here all week.

MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE
1985 Bronco

LOTS OF RUST
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 01:00 PM

Bronco Info: '84 inline six holley 390 clifford headers and intake msd 6a igniton w/duraspark
Here's mine with the Clifford manifold:

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: F100,460, 1tons, 203/205 doubler, sitting on 42" pitbull rockers.
what did you do about tranny kick down ?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass1tonf100 View Post
what did you do about tranny kick down ?

Lemme guess... nothing. Truck's got a four speed NP-435.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 PM

I wish. I have a 4 speed Tremec RTS w/overdrive.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

FINALLY.

Got it back together Saturday, it died while I was tinkering with the carb... I thought I ran it out of gas but it turned out to be the module for the DS2 unit, those have been a real P.I.T.A., I think I will carry a spare from now on. Anyway while I was at the parts house getting another module I picked up a throttle cable linkage I thought I could make work. It's an off the shelf part for GM's... I just modified it to work with my stock throttle cable.

This is the tab that holds the cable in place... I cut it off of the stock bracket.

Then I ground the tabs off of the GM bracket to make it easier to slide the cable into place, and welded the two pieces together.

Finished Assembly

Here are a couple of shots of it on the carb, it seems to work fine but the stock cable doesn't have enough travel to achieve actual WOT. Not sure how to fix that really... even with an aftermarket cable I'm not sure I have enough travel at the pedal. It does travel enough that the secondaries open though and it runs great so I may not ever mess with it.

It sounds like it has a motor in it from a dirt track car right now with the open headers... too bad I can't just leave it like that. I'll get the exhaust on before too long though and I'll try to post a sound clip or video or something.

MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE
1985 Bronco

LOTS OF RUST
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I wish. I have a 4 speed Tremec RTS w/overdrive.
I think that's the same tranny I have... 4-speed O.D. but the O.D. rattles and buzzes so bad I never hardly shift it past 3rd.

Quote:

PCV system hook up was easy... I ran the line from the pcv valve to the vaccum connection for it on the front of the carb. The vent hose on the front of the valve cover is just hanging out there right now but I have the fitting to hook it to the bottom of the breather... I just haven't connected it yet.

MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE
1985 Bronco

LOTS OF RUST
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDadddy View Post
I think that's the same tranny I have... 4-speed O.D. but the O.D. rattles and buzzes so bad I never hardly shift it past 3rd.
I think that rattle and buzz may have been a warning for some kind of impending disaster... Last night something siezed in the drivetrain at about 70 mph... locked up the rear tires completely and brought me skidding to a stop on the shoulder, but the engine was still running. I had it in OD (which was rare) and when it locked up I imediately pushed in the clutch and manuevered over onto the shoulder. The engine was still running, but I had no power to the wheels and I could hear a screaching noise coming from under the floorboard. I killed it, called a buddy of mine and he came and helped me tow it home. Funny thing was, when I pulled the driveshaft loose the transmission turns freely even in gear, and the rearend seems fine... so I can't figure out what locked up the back tires. It also won't start now, it will turn over about a half a turn, then you can hear something bind either in the transmission or bell housing. I can't wait to get it apart this weekend and see what the carnage is... I'm hoping it's just a catastrophic failure of the clutch... that would be an easy fix. It may be something more serious though.
I guess it just couldn't handle the torque the ole six puts out now!!

I'll get a new thread going when I get the tranny out and get some pics of whatever happened.

Oh, and it makes me wonder... about 6 months ago I was headed to Grand Lake to do some offroading with some guys from on here and I had something just like this happen then. I was cruising along about 70 or so, and I heard something and then a loud band and then I was without power to the wheels. My rearend had been yanked back so far that it had pulled the slipjoint apart and the U-bolts on the passenger side that hold the rearend to the leaf springs were bent and had slid back on the spring about 10". I thought I had hit something, maybe a deer had ran under the truck and hit the rear wheel or something on that side... I never found anything in the road though so I wasn't sure. Well last night, when it locked up it displaced another U-Bolt on the same side. Not as bad as last time, I think it can be loosened off and put back in place, but I know it just happened because I was just under there this weekend and everything was perfect then. I think the force of the 38's locking up is too much for those long U-Bolts with the lift blocks and all. I think that the two failures are related though, last time I just put the rearend back in place and replaced the bolts and driveshaft and it was good to go. I think whatever it was that locked up last night, is the same thing that happened a few months ago... just more terminal this time.

This picture was from when it happened a few months ago...

I think it's a good time to dump the lift blocks and do a shackle flip...

MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE
1985 Bronco

LOTS OF RUST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode