Valve covers - Ford Bronco Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Unhappy Valve covers

So tomorrow is the big day, when i fix my leaky valve covers!
I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done (and how to do it) , and i pulled out my service manuals, but i was wondering if theres any advice you guys have? Maybe something that should be done a certain way, or something i should NOT do? Theres always something that the books dont tell ya, (and ive never done this on a ford before) so any advice coming from personal experience or whatever would be greatly appreciated.
bsd4083 likes this.

88bronco: web / FSB || 96 bronco: web / FSB || 96 F250: web / FSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 09:57 PM

Bronco Info: 95 xl 351 d60/10.25
make sure when you get it all apart to get the head and the valve cover as clean as you can. get a can of brake cleaner. its an excelent degreaser. dont get the cheapest gaskets, and use some rtv and you should be ok.
bsd4083 likes this.

Five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burgular alarm.
http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...il.php?id=2616

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 11:13 PM

Bronco Info: 82 Bronco 3" body lift, 35's on 15x10 locked and loaded
Lightbulb Gaskets

After you get the valve covers off,clean them up real good and put a small bead of RTV on them. Put the gaskets in place and tie them in place with some sewing thread. Then turn them upside down on a hard,flat surface with something heavy on them. Then clean your head surfaces, if you have EFI you will need to replace the upper intake manifold gasket also. Let the RTV on the valve covers "cure" for at least 30 minutes, trim the thread as close as possible before installation. BTW, follow the torque sequence closely and do not over torque. Be very careful with your vacuum lines as they are old and brittle by now. If they start cracking on you don't sweat it, just take some rubber vacuum line and slice them back together. Good Luck
bsd4083 likes this.

http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=1858&s=9724#content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 03:57 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
Take pics and do a write up!
The pics will help you put it all back together and the write-up will help me do it too!

(been putting it off becouse of all that damn EFI crap that has to come off... )
bsd4083 likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Ok, so it sounds like there arent any major issuesi nned to concern myself with. Just alot of wires and hoses! I have both the valve cover and the upper intake gasket sets, as well as some Hi-Tak to hold the gaskets in place.
i didnt even think to get vacuum hose when i ordered my gaskets I think i have some extra laying around somewhere.
Pepe, i was planning on taking some pics, although i dunno if ill do a full-blown write-up, mainly because of the way the weather is here today. Im with you man, that EFI stuff is crazy! I have been putting it off all summer cuz i didnt want to pull all those wires and hoses, but im starting to leave oil spots, so its time.

Well, enough procrastinating, here i go!
bsd4083 likes this.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 10:18 AM
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE

Bronco Info: 94 xlt 302. 4 in lift 3in body lift and 35's.
oh and dont forget to number your plug wires
bsd4083 likes this.

94 bronco XLT
36x12.50x15 swamper tsl
tuff country 4" suspension lift
3 in PA body lift

http://azrockrat.4t.com/index.html
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 03:47 PM

I had to pull the upper intake when I did the oil pan in order to get enough clearance when lifting the motor. It was no wheres near as bad as i thought it would be. The hardest part was the torx bolt in the center but I have since seen that there a long enough bit available.
bsd4083 and Wrencher61 like this.

1995 Bronco 351 4" Dick Cepek stg II
69 Bronco ex mud racer
73 Bronco stock
74 rockcrawler
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 04:23 PM

Bronco Info: '93 5.0 M5OD 3" Body lift 33X12.5 Wilderness AT III
Buy rubber not cork. That way they are reusable.....
bsd4083 likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Done!
Finished up a little while ago. Probably would have been done sooner, but we had to build a tent out of a huge tarp to keep the rain and wind (which got pretty bad near the end) out. I used cork gaskets; it never occured to me to get rubber gaskets.
Gearrat, I did # my plug wires, and that def. saved me alot of grief later!

Pulling the upper intake really wasnt that hard. Its all those wires and tubes that are the biggest pain!
Actually, the biggest issue i had was that torx bolt in the manifold. I wish i knew to get a super-long bit beforehand, i ended up running out to a store that didnt have one, and then coming back and improvising. The valve covers themselves were easy to do. Actually, most of the bolts were loose, which is probably why my leak got so bad! I guess 160k will do that.

its too rainy/windy now to start it up and do a visual inspection, so now its gotta wait till tomorrow morning.
bsd4083 likes this.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 07:46 PM

Bronco Info: 95 xl 351 d60/10.25
you can use loctite on the bolts. that will help them stay tight a little longer. if your worried about the loctite making it where they will never come out, use the green loctite. its not as strong as the red. i used red loctite on my valve covers and oil pan before, didnt make it to hard to take out. i used it again when i rebuilt my motor a year ago, no leaks yet.
bsd4083 likes this.

Five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burgular alarm.
http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...il.php?id=2616

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 04:58 PM

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco 6" custom suspension 35 " ssr
Quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rider
I had to pull the upper intake when I did the oil pan in order to get enough clearance when lifting the motor. It was no wheres near as bad as i thought it would be. The hardest part was the torx bolt in the center but I have since seen that there a long enough bit available.
why not just open the hood
bsd4083 likes this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 05:01 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2003

Bronco Info: '89 XLT SAS ~'78 Ranger, '90 Eddie
Garage
The intake hits the firewall...not the hood.
bsd4083 likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 06:38 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
Glad to hear it wasn't too bad!
Hope it works out for ya... course if they were as loose as it's sounds then it's probably all good now!
bsd4083 likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Yeah, it appears that my leak has been beat! I intend to go back and degrease the bellhousing, since its quite grimy, and would hide any evidence should it still be slightly leaking.

It doesnt look like ill be doing a write-up for ya, though.:( I took pics of the wiring and vacuum lines, but the restis really self-explanatory, so i dont really have any others. If ya want though, lll post what pics ive got for ya to refer to when you do your covers.
bsd4083 likes this.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 10:07 PM
Retired Staff

Garage
np bud, thanks anyway! I'll just jump in like you did, eventually.
bsd4083 likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 PM

Bronco Info: 87XLT EFI5.0 flattop pistons, cam, SD, MSDIgn,aod,1356, 3g, Eaton-posi3.55,31X10.5, PCVswp
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
Take pics and do a write up!
The pics will help you put it all back together and the write-up will help me do it too!

(been putting it off becouse of all that damn EFI crap that has to come off... )
Here is a video on an 1994 just like my 1987(5.0) valve cover remove and swap good video I think this is what we (I) want to see Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 Final Product

VIDEO OF THE HIDDEN TORX BOLT
TS 90F150 likes this.

SARA CONNER lives in Kansas

Last edited by bsd4083; 03-20-2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added part 2 and fixed spelling
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:51 PM

Bronco Info: 11/93 production date. 5.0 engine, M.A.F. , TTB front, 1356 manual shift transfer, 8.8 3.55 L.S.
I was gonna warn you about that Torx bolt, but too late! To anybody doing this repair, look at the place where the valve cover bolts are. People tend to tighten them trying to slow the leaks down, which cracks the old cork gasket even more and is counterproductive. Then the cover is dimpled in the area of the bolt head. If your covers arenít flat you will have more leaks. Straighten them using a small ball peen hammer and a piece of flat steel in a vise so you donít crumple the edges....clear as mud, right? As Crossroads said, glue the gaskets to the valve covers, just donít use something hateful like the yellow gorilla snot. The next guy to remove that shit will hate you. I like Permatex Aviation, but Iím an old fart, and the smell reminds me of when I used to work on airplanes.😉
bsd4083 likes this.

PUT ME On IGNORE!, but donít forget...
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:47 PM

Bronco Info: 95 FSB Ox Wht. Blue Int. 5.8 33" nittos 18" fuel wheels.
Or permatex number 2

EVERYTHING MANUAL EXCEPT THE TRANSMISSION:
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:38 AM

Bronco Info: 87XLT EFI5.0 flattop pistons, cam, SD, MSDIgn,aod,1356, 3g, Eaton-posi3.55,31X10.5, PCVswp
Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
So tomorrow is the big day, when i fix my leaky valve covers!
I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done (and how to do it) , and i pulled out my service manuals, but i was wondering if theres any advice you guys have? Maybe something that should be done a certain way, or something i should NOT do? Theres always something that the books dont tell ya, (and ive never done this on a ford before) so any advice coming from personal experience or whatever would be greatly appreciated.
I have an update..sometimes the dreaded full valve cover replacement is not necessary and your fix is like WINNING THE LOTTERY IN TIME AND MONEY.. FYI THIS ENGINE OF MINE WAS A NEW REBUILD WITH ABOUT 15K ON IT

I found another youtube video on an F150 with a 5.0 injected like mine and it showed me this :depending on the leak the fix might be easy.
My leak was from around the valve cover(sort of) then down the back side of the block. With a flash light and his video I followed the run off trails on both valve covers.

What I learned
1)my engine had the rubber gaskets 2) no oil spilled down the sides of the engine block around any of my plugs. 3) my oil trails were from the topside of the valve cover pans around the bolts 4) the oil dripped in the pan from the valve cover then was retained by the lower edge of the valve cover pan flange till it ran back and pooled in the lower rear corner of the valve cover pan then trickling down the back of the block. about 3-4 quarts a month.

The last observation i made Was all bolts were dry and tight except the three lower bolts on the low side of each valve cover just above the spark plugs. Additionally the washers under these bolts were loose and would spin, (the bolts were barely finger tight and that is where my oil trails started).

So the fix was test tightness all were very loose. therefore i removed them one at a time cleaned the surface of the cover(one at a time) and each bolt hole as best i could with paper towel, then the bolt.. Then i used the red rtv high temp silicon sealer coating on the threads lightly and putting a small blob near the head under bottom side of the washer @the head soo that when tightened the pressure would cause the sealer to squirt out from under the washer. I reinstalled each as i went one at a time cleaned up around the bolt with a paper towel wiping off any excess. Cost 5 dollars, time apx one hour thirty minutes for this girl. RESULTS I Am ON MY SECOND TANK OF GAS NOW TRAVELED APX 400 MILES AND DRY AS BONE. This truck was leaking about 3-4 quarts of oil every month and i feared the worst.. Seee where you leaks come from and maybe THIS WILL SAVE YOU TIME MONEY AND GRIEF.

BEST WISHES THERIN

SARA CONNER lives in Kansas
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:01 PM

Bronco Info: 1988 Ford Bronco XLT 302, M5OD
Garage
My engine leaks like a sieve. The blow-back from the valve cover gaskets is so bad, it covers the engine within a week with me washing it. Also, my drain plug leaks because the idiot who owned it last cross threaded the bolt hole. I've been meaning to replace the valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket for a while now, but it seems like a lot of work. So hopefully, when I have a few hours to tear down the engine, I'll clean off the covers, replace all 3 gaskets, re-thread the drain hole in the oil pan, then repaint both the pan and the valve covers.
bsd4083 likes this.

TheHalfJamaican
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode