Ford Bronco Forum - View Single Post - '94 speed density 351w torque build help
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
StevenP

Bronco Info: '94 XLT, 5.8l, E4OD, Push Button 4x4, Manual Hubs, 4"lift, F+R Lockers, 35's, TTB
Garage
Thank you @Stevo440 , really good information you pointed out about how the higher the flow rate of the heads will move the curve left. So it looks like 165's will indeed be what I'm looking for as far as heads.

My biggest questions pertain to the next point you brought up; matching everything so that the parts work together. This is where I become truly lost.

One example of my confusion is simply what pistons should I be looking at? I know I want to be able to run on pump gas, being able to still use 87octane would be nice, stock compression ratio is 8.8:1, but with the aluminum heads I read I can bump compression up a little.. would a compression ratio of say 9.1:1 or 9.5:1 be doable, and if so what crank, rods, pistons, should I look at to get me in that ballpark? Also, piston design, flat, dome, etc etc, I have no idea what is going to suite my needs. So confused.

P.s. Even though I've read in many of the build threads that the factory crank and rods have been reused in mild builds, I'm not terribly confident with the condition of my engine, that's why I'm mentioning these parts and am curious as to what I should be prepared to replace them with.

*edit* would purchasing a "rotating assembly" kit from summit, something like this, and having my block bored to 4.03 solve my confusion with all of the above?

1994 XLT - 5.8 - E4OD - Push Button 4x4 w/ Manual Hubs - Tow Package - Lockers - Mystery 4-6" Lift - 15x10 -45mm Mickey Thompson Classic III's w/ 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2's - K&N FIPK - Punisher Valve Body - Moroso Pan - B&M Cooler - Raptor Liner Inside & Out - Alpine System w/ Halo 9

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome