Ford Bronco Forum

Ford Bronco Forum (https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/)
-   Solid Axle Swaps (https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/29-solid-axle-swaps/)
-   -   D44, coil sas for me. (https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/29-solid-axle-swaps/219162-d44-coil-sas-me.html)

Shadofax 09-16-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippome (Post 3676002)
Just a reminder to everyone who is not only doing SAS's but any work on their truck. Make sure that you check the torque on the bolts after they have had some time to settle. I told myself to do it but I always put it off to tomorrow. Well last weekend my girlfriend, dog and myself almost died when the bolt that connected the track bar to the mount fell out when I was driving 70+ down the freeway. I almost completly lost control. I somehow managed to cross 3 lanes of traffic and get to the side of the road without hitting anyone. Other than the fact that someone shit my pants everyone/thing is ok.

I will never make that mistake again!! Always check the torque!!

I put a lock nut on there this time so hopefully that won't loosen up again.

Glad you are ok.

Since you brought this up, let me just say that it is my absolute opinion that if you are using the single bolt down at the axle, this must be properly secured by a castle nut and new cotter pin. I never had much luck with lock nuts down here, and for whatever reason a lock nut up top where there is dual sheer (and likely much less vibe and movement), no problem.

Now imagine cheap rod ends that fail......Always buy the best for RA's and Trackbars.

BoulderBronco 09-17-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippome (Post 3676002)
Just a reminder to everyone who is not only doing SAS's but any work on their truck. Make sure that you check the torque on the bolts after they have had some time to settle. I told myself to do it but I always put it off to tomorrow. Well last weekend my girlfriend, dog and myself almost died when the bolt that connected the track bar to the mount fell out when I was driving 70+ down the freeway. I almost completly lost control. I somehow managed to cross 3 lanes of traffic and get to the side of the road without hitting anyone. Other than the fact that someone shit my pants everyone/thing is ok.

I will never make that mistake again!! Always check the torque!!

I put a lock nut on there this time so hopefully that won't loosen up again.

WOW! Amazing the axle didn't just explode out of the truck. I always use Stover style lock nuts. Even if the bolt/nut do loosen it will never come all the way off the threads.

81bronco44 09-17-2013 10:44 AM

This same thing happened with mine when I first finished it however it was the end at the axle due to the too small of cotter pin I used temporary til I got a new one and forgot about it, made for a good night aside from the initial scare though

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Gacknar 09-17-2013 12:28 PM

Glad your ok. :thumbup

How does it handle/ride on the highway compared to the TTB?

zippome 09-17-2013 08:08 PM

Well to tell you the truth one of the reasons that I really wanted to do a SAS was becasue I had beat the hell out of my TTB and it was a hot mess. Just about everything was bent on it. The axle would rub, my driver side tire would would go bald in a few months even though I took it to 4 different shops for an alignment. And it would loosen up all of the time in random spots. So all in all it is about 1000x better now with a straight axle. The only thing that could use some work is the suspention. I went with the cheap rought and you can tell.

BoulderBronco 09-17-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippome (Post 3678802)
The only thing that could use some work is the suspention.

:banghead
That's kind of the whole thing, isn't it? What specifically about the "suspension" don't you like?

zippome 09-17-2013 10:25 PM

No the whole thing for me was straight, reliability, easy to work on, and off road capability. I just have the cheapest coils and shocks so it can be a little bouncy. But it is still better than my TTB was.

zippome 09-18-2013 07:37 AM

I used a bigger TRE then the hole was made for. So I hard to make the hole bigger. Kinda drunk right now, hope that helps.

shalex 09-18-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy (Post 3679706)
Why did you have to ream out for the trac bar? And what did you ream exactly

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

the ruff stuff track bar is ment for a hiem. so it uses a smaller bolt but it and be fixed with a quick ream

Ron Burgandy 09-18-2013 07:37 PM

I believe you said that you must use the 78/79 RA mounts? Is that correct or can you use the factory 80-96 mounts.

BoulderBronco 09-18-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippome (Post 3679202)
No the whole thing for me was straight, reliability, easy to work on, and off road capability. I just have the cheapest coils and shocks so it can be a little bouncy. But it is still better than my TTB was.

Makes sense. Are all your joints and bushings tight? Aligned? You have probably already mentioned this but I'm to lazy to read back through.

zippome 09-19-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy (Post 3681178)
I believe you said that you must use the 78/79 RA mounts? Is that correct or can you use the factory 80-96 mounts.

Yes you have to use the 78-79 RA so you can't use the 80-96 ones. there are some custom ones that you can use. If you remember I said that I did mine with the most stock parts as possible. So you can use the stock 78/79 RA mounts but there are others out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoulderBronco (Post 3681850)
Makes sense. Are all your joints and bushings tight? Aligned? You have probably already mentioned this but I'm to lazy to read back through.

I still need to get a "real" alignment. I've done my redneck one but I'm not sure if it is good enough.

shalex 09-19-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippome (Post 3682082)
Yes you have to use the 78-79 RA so you can't use the 80-96 ones. there are some custom ones that you can use. If you remember I said that I did mine with the most stock parts as possible. So you can use the stock 78/79 RA mounts but there are others out there.

I still need to get a "real" alignment. I've done my redneck one but I'm not sure if it is good enough.

not true brother..

there are tons of people on here with the sas and 86-96 ra mounts including myself. you do need a rabushing kit from a newer bronco to make it work

zippome 09-19-2013 01:28 PM

well then I stand corrected. I knew that they were different sizes so I just thought that they wouldn't work.

shalex 09-19-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippome (Post 3682826)
well then I stand corrected. I knew that they were different sizes so I just thought that they wouldn't work.

just relized that i sound kike a dick sorry:beer

zippome 09-21-2013 04:47 PM

No your good. I'm glad that you got the right info out there.:beer

Russo2 09-25-2013 05:44 PM

Neat. I like the simplicity of it.
Now I'm kicking myself for selling my ttb lift. Would be nice to at least have those leaves back :banghead

I do still have the crown lines, I'm assuming that's the stainless ones I saw on your truck, they bolt right up to the solid axle calipers and are long enough?

zippome 09-25-2013 05:51 PM

Yes. Some people will tell you that you have to grind off the nub on the end of them to make them match up, but you don't have to. All I did was swap sides. I took the drivers side and put it on the passengers side and vise versa. No leaks so far and I can stop on a dime.

zippome 09-25-2013 05:58 PM

Russo2 09-25-2013 06:33 PM

I see. I still have them on the truck, trying to decide if I should take them off to be sold or keep for the axle swap eventually. Stupid truck needs a full rebuild.