Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I recently bought a 83 bronco with a 300 and manual with a granny. I have general questions about the truck the way it sits and questions about future mods. I’m in Wilmington, NC and Charlotte NC so if local parts can be sourced that would be great.
I think it has a np435 in it and I think the throw out bearing needs replacing as it makes a decent racket when the clutch is engaged at 1500-2300 rpm but is cool calm and collected when I push the clutch in or it’s in neutral.
I made a temporary tailgate window out of Lexan and and looking for a complete tailgate or just a window.
In the future I’d like a 302 under the hood and was wondering if I need a different bell housing to make the trans mount up?

·
Super Moderator
23,907 Posts
Yo 83 project,
WELCOME!

49-9781
TAILGATE GLASS-CLEARBRONCO 80-961$129.95IN STOCK

⊙●⊙
NP 435 Bronco & F Series Depictions

by justshootme84 (Randy Z, Casual Mudder) rest in peace my friend...

NP435 Transmission Workshop Manual by Gary @ NP435
□●□
Swap to 5.0:
Here is the reverse 5.0 to 300 swap @ New to the forum
Others will jump in soon!
○⊙○

FYI, 1983 Bronco Operating Guide @ 1983 Ford Bronco Manuals & Pamphlets (Scanned) picture | SuperMotors.net

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Fasteners by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Carburetors, Chokes & EFI by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Specifications by Gary @ Axle Ratios - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

Differences in 1980-1986 Bronco/F Series by Gary

1983 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Gary @ 1983 Bronco

See the ONLY EEC3 overview, wiring & Vacuum diagrams on the net by Tommy @ Wayback Machine

Also see: DIY EEC III Timing Procedure by Eric, DONOTDELETE @ EEC III - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

See Technical Service Bulletins @ http://www.bbbind.com/tsb-wiring-diagrams-database/

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example:
How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search
See more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)[/URL]

➡Please participate and VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ F.O.T.M Voting:
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Then get ready for the Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.)⚠

Enjoy our site!
Al

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
2,817 Posts
Can I ask why you want to replace the 300 with a 302? Those I-6’s are great engines and can be built pretty darn well. Some of our resident I-6 guys can guide you better than I, but you may want to at least look into keeping the big six with a few modifications. @BigBlue 94 @AbandonedBronco

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Welcome to FSB and congrats on the 83!

Hi everyone, I recently bought a 83 bronco with a 300 and manual with a granny.
In the future I’d like a 302 under the hood and was wondering if I need a different bell housing to make the trans mount up?
I would echo the same thing @MS88Bronc said. That's the combo I have, except I have a T18, and I like it a lot; although I'm planning a ZF5 swap in the future to gain the OD.

I think it has a np435 in it and I think the throw out bearing needs replacing as it makes a decent racket when the clutch is engaged at 1500-2300 rpm but is cool calm and collected when I push the clutch in or it’s in neutral.
I could be wrong since I haven't had the problem myself, but I've always heard the throwout bearing will make noise when the clutch is disengaged.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,126 Posts
Welcome to FSB!

To answer your bellhousing question, no. A 300, 302, and 351w all share the same bellhousing, as well as some other engines.

Now comes the "lecture"!

Why the heck would you want a 302 in a 5000 pound brick? I'll hook up to any non-boosted 302 and pull its socks off with my 300. It will get up to speed quicker than you think, and itll do 90+ with the np435 and 37" tires.

The key lies in getting more air in and out of the massive cylinders in the 300. Ford choked it big time with a single barrel carb and log exhaust manifold. The factory cam is not bad at all. Much better than a stock 302 or 351 cam. You can basically bolt 80 hp on to any 300 very easily.

First thing is to get an Offenhauser or Clifford intake manifold that you can bolt a 4bbl carb or aftermarket efi to. Then grab a set of 87+ efi exhaust manifolds and build a good, high flowing exhaust system. I'm pretty sure 83 is still running the Duraspark2 ignition, so no need to convert that.

If you want more, you can find a 240 head and bolt it on. That will boost compression by about half a point. You can use Chevy rocker arms to get more lift out of your cam, or buy a new cam. Schneider Racing has the best selection for the 240/300.

Building a beefy 300 is not as simple as a 302. I'm using 351w pistons, a Chevy style distributor, and a valve cover spacer for roller rockers. I'm hoping to be near 300 hp and 400 ft/lbs. Never dynoed it yet.

For some really in-depth six cylinder talk, visit Fordsix.com. They have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

When you get into the clutch, replace everything. You dont want to have to get in there again for a while. Do the clutch and pressure plate, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and check the flywheel, throwout arm and pivot ball for wear.

·
Super Moderator
4,464 Posts
Hello and welcome to FSB!

I'd definitely pull the trans and get that all sorted out. I had a throwout bearing fail, and it needed to be towed home.
It shredded apart and made the clutch pedal useless. The transmission will be stuck fully engaged.

You've already gotten the talk about pulling the 300 and putting in a 302, so I won't offer much more on that. Unless you're looking into a heavily built 302 that's putting down large amounts of horsepower, the 300 is the way to go. A 300 with a granny low manual transmission is a sought after bullet proof combination. Look up the famous Ford 300 online and you'll see why people love it. The 302 can be a good motor, but it's designed for a car. I had a fuel injected 302 in my '85 before I pulled it out and put in my 300, and while it made for a nice daily driver, there was nothing memorable about it.

The 300 was built from the ground up for a truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts