Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. Have an issue when I am at a constant throttle position, speed or gear does not matter, where the engine stutters like it’s miss firing a cylinder. Starts great, idles great, WOT is great, only have the issue when throttle position is constant (actual position varies depending on speed/gear) and not under a load. Example would be if going through the neighborhood in 3rd at 1/4 throttle, main road in 3rd at 1/2 throttle, main road 4th 1/4 or 1/2 throttle, or highway in 5th 1/4 or 1/2 throttle I experience the same issue. I have zero codes other than the 11/10 and no CEL.

Items replaced and/or tested-
6 liter ignition upgrade (plugs gapped at 50, wires, cap, rotor, coil, timing at 12.5), new MAP (fixed previous continuous code), new temp sensor, new fuel filter and regulator (pressure is now within spec). New HEGO and fixed the ground going to the PCM. New EGR/EVP/vacuum solenoid (fixed previous continuous code) solenoid wires have been tested. TPS and IAC tests good. All vacuum lines have been verified (not blocked or leaking). Upper plenum gasket seem good when using the good ol starter fluid test (even under the plenum on passenger side).

What would cause this? If I had a code I could troubleshoot further but I’m at a loss.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Every time I've run into this it was EGR related, specifically a vacuum leak in the EGR valve itself. The EGR valve on these, as you may know, consists of the valve itself along with an EGR valve position sensor mounted on top of the EGR valve. What happens is that when the computer enters lean/cruise mode, it'll lean out the mixture. If there is a vacuum leak present, it'll be too lean of a mixture and the truck will develop the symptoms you describe.

Since you've already replaced the EGR valve it's not likely that the EGR diaphragm has developed a leak, so I would start looking elsewhere in the EGR vacuum chain. Could be leaking in the TAD/TAB sensor area.

Just for grins, why don't you disconnect the vacuum line running to the EGR valve and plugging it off with a golf tee or something. Drive the truck and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
28,289 Posts
Yo AnthonySunderland,
Welcome!
Table 9:

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....

PCM stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory integrity and processing capability, and verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly.

Here are the 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

For any Bronco questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

See How to add your Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Forum FAQs includes for example, Hot to Use Search. How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts, How To Upload Images To Posts and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) includes such as, How do I fix my back window?

Please find time to participate and Vote in our Full-Size Bronco of the Month Contest and later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to Winner!; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; also, a years worth of premium FSB membership.
Al

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every time I've run into this it was EGR related, specifically a vacuum leak in the EGR valve itself. The EGR valve on these, as you may know, consists of the valve itself along with an EGR valve position sensor mounted on top of the EGR valve. What happens is that when the computer enters lean/cruise mode, it'll lean out the mixture. If there is a vacuum leak present, it'll be too lean of a mixture and the truck will develop the symptoms you describe.

Since you've already replaced the EGR valve it's not likely that the EGR diaphragm has developed a leak, so I would start looking elsewhere in the EGR vacuum chain. Could be leaking in the TAD/TAB sensor area.

Just for grins, why don't you disconnect the vacuum line running to the EGR valve and plugging it off with a golf tee or something. Drive the truck and see what happens.
Thanks for the tip flomaster! I disconnected and plugged the vacuum line running to the EGR and there was no change. The EVP sensor and vacuum solenoid have been replaced and do not throw any codes. All vacuum lines test good for no leaks or blocks. Electrical from the solenoid to the PCM has been verified as well. I though this was all EGR related as well, that why I did the replacements and tested all vacuum/electrical. The troubleshooting continues....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip flomaster! I disconnected and plugged the vacuum line running to the EGR and there was no change. The EVP sensor and vacuum solenoid have been replaced and do not throw any codes. All vacuum lines test good for no leaks or blocks. Electrical from the solenoid to the PCM has been verified as well. I though this was all EGR related as well, that why I did the replacements and tested all vacuum/electrical. The troubleshooting continues....
Update- Turns out it was either the PIP or the control module in the distributor. Replaced the distributor with a new one (remand supposedly have possible magnetic issues) and it drives awesome now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts